Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: is it too soon to talk 2015 draft ?

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Re: is it too soon to talk 2015 draft ?

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Not a bad mock Aussie. See what you think of this one.

1.P.J. Williams, CB, Florida St. Like Peters as well but think he may be gone.
    2. Cameron Erving, OT, Florida St.
    3. Ben Kayack, TE, ND
    4. Steven Nelson, CB, Oregon St. Actually there are 2 fourth round CBs I like.
    4. Chucky Hunter, DT, TCU
    5 John Miller, OG, Louisville
    6. Ibraheim Campbell, SS, Northwestern. Big hitter, can tackle
    7. Mark Weisman, FB, Iowa. Been playing at tailback for the last couple of years. Never seems to be knocked backwards.

Take the money we were going to give Worlds and buy a pass rush.
    I know the first four names well and would take all of them.

The next four are new to me. ( Need to scout them out)

My research has shown that Peters may have a bit of a 2cent brain. He was recently suspended for a game and forced to earn his way back into the starting line up due to a massive brainfart ( headbutt) and verbal explosion at his coaches. Keen to watch the rest of his year. He can play CB but he may have some liabilities.

I am really starting to like Lorenzo Mauldin at OLB. He plays standing up and rushes from all LB spots. Strong against the run and drops well. I can see him rising into the top 20 come 2015.

I am guessing you are being sneaky and not naming a certain LT who plays for your beloved Hawkeyes. I know you love him, but I will respect your reverse draft juju but not putting the kiss of death on him.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Dwinsgames

kid to keep an eye on MSU TE Josiah Price ... really impressive 1st half today has to be close to 100 yards receiving and made 2 REALLY nice catches , really nice hands ...6'4 251

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

can we just stockpile Runningbacks, Ameer Abdullah is awesome.
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Dwinsgames

Redskins 4th round pick ( one of my pimps ) Breeland showed up big tonight , would have been nice to take a CB like him last draft

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Redskins 4th round pick ( one of my pimps ) Breeland showed up big tonight , would have been nice to take a CB like him last draft
    Breeland in the 3rd round would have made this an extremely good draft. Assuming they would play him.

AML

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Breeland in the 3rd round would have made this an extremely good draft. Assuming they would play him.
    You know he'd still be sitting on the bench if we drafted him.

I'd take him in a heartbeat over Archer.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    You know he'd still be sitting on the bench if we drafted him.

I'd take him in a heartbeat over Archer.
    Don't know about that. with Ike out and with aliens taking Allen off and leaving a poor clone to replace him, Breeland might have see more playing time than we think. I am still very high on this years CBs Williams, Waynes, and the forgotten man, Ekpre-Oloma, and think that one of them will likely be there when we pick, even if we do go further than we thought we might. I also like a few 3rd or 4th round CBs, my favorite being Steve Nelson. I would like us take two CBs this year. One in the 1st and one in the 4th. Williams and Nelson would make me happy. That might make up for missing on Fuller and Breeland.

AML

Dwinsgames

The Redskins have a pair of my pimp projects from the last 2 drafts actually Amerson and Breeland

Mid season Mock draft, filled with what ifs. What if, Adams stays at RT, and the line stays solid. What if the LBers play up to their potential and continue to put pressure on the other teams QBs. What if we have finally found someone that can hold down the NT position and continues to make the running game difficult plus put pressure on the OL.

1. PJ Williams, CB. Williams is not lighting fast but has good speed and looks to have a second gear that helps him recover from mistake, both his and his teammates. A fluid player that has good hand to intercept the passes he should, and knock the ball away from the WR. Looks to be a player that can play in our system.

2. Cody Prewitt, FS. Prewitt is a big FS, 6"2, 210 lbs with long arms, Normally plays deep for Old Miss. Not a devastating hitter, but can tackle, pretty good in the open field. Has good hand, that and his long wing span helps him make the ints. that we haven't been seeing from our secondary. Leads the SEC in ints this years.

3. Ben Koyack, TE. Ben is having a pretty good year, and is one of the reasons that ND is having a very good year. A good blocking TE that can catch the ball. He is moving up the draft chart, shouldn't have started talking about him, and may be gone late in the 2nd round or early 3rd. This a kid I would try to trade up to get.

4. Steve Nelson, CB. Nelson has a muscular build that will fight through blockers and tackle larger RBs. He has strong hand that will pull down the int, or strip the ball for the ball carrier. Like to jam the WR at the line of scrimmage. Will make put a body on the WR in coverage and may draw a call or two for that in todays NFL.

4. If we do draw a 4th round comp pick. Cory Robinson, OT. I don't think he would ever play at LT, but could make a pretty good RT. Personally I think his NFL future will be at OG.

5. Chucky Hunter, DT. A high character kid with a quick first step. A little short, but can get through blockers on his way to the ball carrier.

6. Ibraheim Campbell, SS, Northwestern. Big hitter, can tackle

7. Mark Weisman, FB, Iowa. Been playing at tailback for the last couple of years. Never seems to be knocked backwards.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Alright, time to take another more serious crack:

1. - Trade down! PJ Williams and Eric Peters are gone, man. We won too many games. But it's okay. We trade into the top of the 2nd and pick up an extra 3rd and 6th as thanks.

2a. CB Alex Carter, Stanford. Nice football body, nose for the ball, leader of that Stanford Secondary. We're going to be stubborn anyways so it's okay if he needs a little development.

2b. OLB Eric Striker, Oklahoma. If he finishes the year as well as he started, he'll be declaring. Disruptive dude, damn fast for a linebacker - though he will need to add some muscle, he's got a frame that can take it. The kid plays MEAN, and he's got a great name for a pass rusher too.

3a. OT Ty Sambrailo, Colorado State. Some injuries and being in the Mountain West help him fall, but in the 3rd he's too good to pass up. Munch gets his versatile O-lineman who's got size, strength, can play guard or maybe RT immediately, and probably (after some development... he's not ready) play LT.

3b. WR Quinshad Davis, North Carolina. Because the only thing better than one Martavis Bryant... is two Martavis Bryants. Okay, he's not that fast, but still fast for a big guy. I think it's clear that the big-time passing game is what we're going to have to be about the next few seasons. Might seem like a reach with Brown, Wheaton, and Bryant, but that's still only three WRs. J.Brown isn't as good as we hoped and DHB needs to go yesterday, and Moore just isn't a sure thing. We're in the waning years of a HOF QB's career, so let's give him all the toys, and win some football games.

4. TE Jeff Heuerman, Ohio State. Diamond in the rough here... okay, 4.83, but we have speed guys (and Heath ran a 4.87 after all) and that's not what you use your TE for anyways. He's physically everything you want in a TE, good hands, pretty decent blocker, but Ohio State is seriously misusing the guy which will be good news to us, allowing us to grab him in the 4th. He's that great big target who can learn for a year and be the eventual successor to Miller... and be that last piece of the puzzle to make the Post-Ben QB transition a little bit easier.

5. NT Terry Williams, East Carolina. Buh-bye, Cam Thomas. Again, overlooked a little for playing in the AAC but damn, this kid does nothing but wreck O-lines. He can split time with McLendon and McCullers, learn the system, boom or bust prospect but man, if he booms... what a boom it's going to be.

6a. SS Isaiah Johnson, Georgia Tech. It's a pretty big Safety class. He has some injury and development issues to work through, but that's okay because he's going to ride the pine anyways. Will develop into a nice backup with the tools to really challenge for a starting spot... the kid is a ballplayer.

6b. CB/FS Tim Scott, North Carolina. Because we seem to like these guys who are good at being versatile instead of good at playing their position. Quality backup/nickel/special teams maybe. Seems like he's going to need time to learn discipline and study the defense. Quick (enough) and nice size anyway.

7. OG Tyler Moore, Florida. A left guard prospect who is versatile enough to fill in anywhere on the line. A little underrated due to attitude and to injuries - both to himself and other teammates, causing him to miss time, play at multiple positions, etc. Still has a spark of potential to be something much more than he's been, but will take some development. I can see Munchak doing good work on the kid.

Great to get new thoughts.

I think Trae Waynes could move pass Williams on teams draft charts. That might leave Williams and Ekpre-Olomu in the 4th and 5th CB ratings. I would rather have Williams because of size, but some teams may take Ekpre-Olomu because of his speed. That is why I think Williams could be there when we draft even later in the first

If Sambrailo make it out of the first or early second I will be a little surprised. Just my opinion though.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Is Williams going to be a penalty machine in the pros? While he can run with his guy sure, a lot of the video I'm watching, it seems like he's not afraid to truck his assignment whether the ball is there yet or not.

And just look at those baby blues and scruffy red beard.

I think I want to... marry Tyler Moore.

[ / bad joke ]

I wouldn't mind signing Connor Halliday to the udfa -> IR Practice Squad.

Dwinsgames

doubt he declares for 2015 draft but small school kid I am all over if he does is Larry Butler , has potential to play all 4 LB slots in the 3-4 , currently goes back and forth between LB and DE in his current system dependent upon down / distance and opponent

class act who works very hard and has very good read /react skills if you get a chance get a look at this young man

( number 2 in the vids but was number 6 I believe in prior years )

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    Is Williams going to be a penalty machine in the pros? While he can run with his guy sure, a lot of the video I'm watching, it seems like he's not afraid to truck his assignment whether the ball is there yet or not.
    Right at this moment, I am not. True, Williams is a physical player, in fact both of the CBs I have listed are, but I don't see him as a player that has to depend on this. He has pretty good speed, good hands and breaks to the ball well. I don't think he will been a penalty magnet that I have read some draft sites suggest. Then again, I have been wrong on CBs before. I am one of the guys that liked the Brown pick a few years ago.

AML

Dwinsgames

Scott Wright ‏@DraftCountdown 2m2 minutes ago Washington has dismissed CB Marcus Peters from the team.

Scott Wright ‏@DraftCountdown 2m2 minutes ago Washington has dismissed CB Marcus Peters from the team.
    Kinda been waiting for that. And so starts the slid, we will have to wait to see how far, I hope he likes living in Cincy. That could foul up all my plans.

AML

Dwinsgames

this is never a good thing , it reminds me all to much of the Oregon CB Cliff Harris situation a few years back , damn fine CB who just couldnt keep his shit together off the field booted from team ( could have been a 1st round pick ) went undrafted and never did squat in the NFL and has been in trouble since exiting the league too ...

Hopefully someone sits down with Peters and explains the perils of not doing things the right way ....

not many are blessed with the talent to play this game at a high enough level for some of the ones that are to throw it away by being stupid ....

more on Cliff Harris for those who need a refresher course http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_H...8cornerback%29

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

I smell a bit of hothead combined with a coach scapegoating.

Petersen is trying to put his stamp on this team and take back the reigns of control.

Peters is the best player in his secondary. They are not going to the play offs or winning anything of note. Petersen is in this for the long haul ( he hopes) and Peters was always going to leave early for the 2015 draft. It is win - win for Petersen.

The way I look at this is a bit like the Willie Parker story. Recruited to a program and you fall out of favour due to a change in coaching staff. Peters is lucky that he has plenty of game film out there for him to be better evaluated.

My Question is why would Petersen say " he is going to give Marcus Peters a positive recommendation"?

Petersen is making a statement and Marcus Peters is his scapegoat. Peters has no respect for the current coaching staff ( who had no hand in recruiting him) and with four games left has no desire to make it work. Immature but scarily an expected scenario for todays younger generation. He is still NFL quality.

I have check a couple of draft sites to see if Peters is starting to slide a little, the answer is no, not yet anyway. Normally when a player is kicked of a team the sites are the first to jump on it. This could mean that there is much more to the story, and Aussie is right. Peters is immature and looks to have a mouth on him, but I know of a few NFL CBs that have the same trait. If this stays as it is my plan to take a CB in the first round could stay in tact. My suggestion to any team thinking Peters is to interview, interview, interview. Talk to Peters, his coach, and as many of his teammates as you can.

Like Aussie, I am a little confused about Petterson planning to give Peters a positive recommendation. What reason will he give for the dismissal . Isn't that like saying," I just wanted Peters off my team for no reason, and decided to be a complete ass about it.

AML

I've been reading some, trying to figure out what happened in Washington. Some writers say that coach Petterson did every thing he could to get through to Peters, but Peters just would not cooperate. I did read a twitter that stated that Peters is gone mostly because Petterson did not like the kid, and Peters was going to leave next year anyway. I think this soap opera may only play out in the interview room. Peters is going to be drafted, maybe in the final picks of the first round. The team that picks him have better get the answers they want. Peters still has the talent to go in the first dozen picks in the draft, but will he ever have the temperament to contribute the way he should, as a player, and as a teamate. Personally, I still like Williams, but don't know if he will be available to us.

AML

If you check out Peters twitter feed he comes across as almost uneducated. He appears a wannabee gangsta

The interviews will be critical in the evaluation of Peters.

I think he is Tyrann Mathieu 2.0. An NFL player who will have a few speedbumps along the way for a NFL GM and coach

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    If you check out Peters twitter feed he comes across as almost uneducated. He appears a wannabee gangsta

The interviews will be critical in the evaluation of Peters.

I think he is Tyrann Mathieu 2.0. An NFL player who will have a few speedbumps along the way for a NFL GM and coach
    see Cliff Harris a talented 10 cent head

see Cliff Harris a talented 10 cent head
    From what I have been reading you will be overpaying at 10 cents.

AML

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I haven't had a close look at the prospects yet, here is a generic mock for the 1st 5 rounds
    1. Injury prone LB
    2. Raw OT hand-picked by Munchak that was sub-spectacular in college but gets drafted because Munchak thinks he can coach him up
    3. Pass catcher, probably TE this time, because Ben will ask for one and this is usually the round the Steelers draft one
    4. Useless scat back hand picked by Haley (who retains his job because the Rooney's don't like to fire people and they will use the Colts and Ravens game as a reason to keep him)
    5. CB that the team plans on cutting before the season because you apparently don't need good CBs, all you need is a pass rush (which the Steelers don't have).

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I haven't had a close look at the prospects yet, here is a generic mock for the 1st 5 rounds
    1. Injury prone LB
    2. Raw OT hand-picked by Munchak that was sub-spectacular in college but gets drafted because Munchak thinks he can coach him up
    3. Pass catcher, probably TE this time, because Ben will ask for one and this is usually the round the Steelers draft one
    4. Useless scat back hand picked by Haley (who retains his job because the Rooney's don't like to fire people and they will use the Colts and Ravens game as a reason to keep him)
    5. CB that the team plans on cutting before the season because you apparently don't need good CBs, all you need is a pass rush (which the Steelers don't have).
    Nailed it!
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

With Blounts release Duke Johnson and Ameer Abdullah should get a look in the 3rd
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    1. Injury prone LB
    6. Useless DE since they won't let Kissel retire until age 75
    7. Useless TE because Matt Spaeth will get a contract extension until 2040.

Some add ons

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

We need a better defensive backfield. We may be playing ourselves out or a first round CB but there are a couple of second rounders that could be interesting, and several third rounders that I like very much. I am not that excited about our safeties as well, I have a couple in mind, want to see how they finish out the year. I'm not getting fooled by the on and off play by the O-line. There are going to be several interesting OTs in this draft, a LT caliber OT would let us move someone inside and strengthen both positions. Looks like we may need to look at RB. I would like one that is not afraid to take on a tackler, and is know for moving the pile. I'm not as unhappy with TE as some but think we could use one that can play in this draft. May be worth taking a gamble on one dropping because of an injury.

AML