Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: is it too soon to talk 2015 draft ?

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Re: is it too soon to talk 2015 draft ?

I am with you Tex. I like Koyack a lot. Hoping for a 3rd / 4th round pick at this point.

I think the pass rush blows as much as Haleys playcalling. I let Worilds walk because I cannot justify double digit salary numbers for his production.

For me:

Round 1: Dante Fowler DE / OLB Florida ( Woodley like pass rusher)
    Round 2: Cameron Erving OT Florida State ( Will go first round. I can dream at this point of the process)
    Round 3: Doran Grant CB Ohio State
    Round 4: Ben Koyack TE

Anything other than Pass rush, O line, Cornerback and Tight end and I know for sure and certain that Tomlin and Colbert are also riding in LeVeon Bells Camaro.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    I am with you Tex. I like Koyack a lot. Hoping for a 3rd / 4th round pick at this point.

I think the pass rush blows as much as Haleys playcalling. I let Worilds walk because I cannot justify double digit salary numbers for his production.

For me:

Round 1: Dante Fowler DE / OLB Florida ( Woodley like pass rusher)
    Round 2: Cameron Erving OT Florida State ( Will go first round. I can dream at this point of the process)
    Round 3: Doran Grant CB Ohio State
    Round 4: Ben Koyack TE

Anything other than Pass rush, O line, Cornerback and Tight end and I know for sure and certain that Tomlin and Colbert are also riding in LeVeon Bells Camaro.
    There is a whole season to play out before we get a good feel on the direction of the draft, and the play of Jones and Whorlds will have a lot to do with it. How ever, from what I see on paper, and in preseason so far, it will take something drastic to take the Steelers mind off of CB, unless, like this year they just don't beleive the CBs left are worthy the pick.

I think the pass rush will get better as the D-Line gets better, and I think they will. Jones had to deal with one of the best LTs one on one all night. The inside LBs had a guard to deal with most of the night, poor Ryan had to be thinking they were playing with 4 guards at times, talk about rookie shock. I believe the D-Line will start to gel, and take some of the pressure off the LBs.

For now I am sticking with CB, OL(if that guy is Erving I will be extreamly happy) and Koyack.

AML

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Did anyone else watch Kyle Fuller play tonight,,,,,,, Damn Chicago.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

I have watched East Carolina upset over Virginia Tech saturday, and come away with one name. Terry Williams. 6`1 353 and he can move and how. Watched some tape from his junior year, same thing. He has a sick spin move for guy that big. Sheds blockers with ease, pure run stopper. Thing that concern me, is his suspensions. He was suspended twice, drug arrest and violating team policy.

If the underclassmen come out that I expect to the top 5 CBs could end up, Ifl Ekpre-Olomu, Josh Shaw, Trae Waynes, Marcus Peters, PJ William. 3 of the 5 are Jr.s and Shaw could end up a safty.

I may be time to stop drafting CBs that may be able to play for us, and take one that will be able to play for us. Personally I like Williams at the moment.

AML

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    If the underclassmen come out that I expect to the top 5 CBs could end up, Ifl Ekpre-Olomu, Josh Shaw, Trae Waynes, Marcus Peters, PJ William. 3 of the 5 are Jr.s and Shaw could end up a safty.

I may be time to stop drafting CBs that may be able to play for us, and take one that will be able to play for us. Personally I like Williams at the moment.
    I will go on record and say I am a Marcus Peters Man.

Not sold on Waynes yet. Just don't a confident read on his game film.

Dwinsgames

here here !!

- - - Updated - - -

Did anyone else watch Kyle Fuller play tonight,,,,,,, Damn Chicago.
    he was my guy of the crop ......

thus far clearly leading the way as top of the rookie class in the Defensive Backfield

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

The Steelers just seem to be inept when it comes to evaluating CB talent. So many bad picks over the years.

I really wanted us to take E.J. Gaines last year. He lasted until the 5th round and has been starting for the Rams (due to an injury) and playing pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    I will go on record and say I am a Marcus Peters Man.

Not sold on Waynes yet. Just don't a confident read on his game film.
    There were games last year that I thought Waynes was the best CB at Michigan St., but think Peters will be a better player. Of course depending were we draft, I think Ekpre-Olomu, and Williams may both be gone, leaving us with Peters which would be just fine with me.

Remember last year, I said I didn't like the CBs very much? (Except for a couple players) I like this years kids much better.

AML

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I think corner really has to be a high priority. They really need to address the position and not wait to the 5th to draft a guy they are going to cut. Haven't been following the draft class very closely yet though, so I can't really say who I would want. I always wait til the Steelers season is over to start focusing on the draft.

Two kids that I do find interesting, that could go in the 3rd or 4th rounds, are Byron Jones, CB for Connecticut, and Steven Nelson CB for Oregon ST.

AML

Dwinsgames

Kyle Fuller killing it again tonight with another pick and a FF .... damn those Bears

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Kyle Fuller killing it again tonight with another pick and a FF .... damn those Bears
    scratch that its now 1 INT 2 FF vs Jets

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Fuller is having a hell of a start to his rookie season. Absolutely amazing. The guy is a ball hawk
    Merry Christmas

There is no doubt in my mind that Fuller would have been a Steeler if he would have made it past the Bears. I now hate the Bears.

AML

Fair to say that the Steelers Universe War room absolutely nailed it with our cumulative assessment of Kyle Fuller.

Over the years we have nailed some good players with our PIMPs. (Fuller and Benjamin were my two last year and both are looking very good so far)

Challenge is on to find our 2015 star.

I am already sold on Marcus Peters but my CB to keep an eye out for is Steven Nelson Oregon State.

Still trying to gauge the true speed of some of these guys, however Peters, PJ Williams and Nelson all look like strong, sure tacklers who play CB in the steelers mould.

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Colbert had faith in Allen, and picked up insurance for Spence, Fuller would most likely rot on the bench as a rookie here.
    But yeah onto 2015.
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Looks to me like we are gonna get a top 10 pick this year. Let's get PJ Williams

1 round mock draft for the Steelers

1st round Leonard Williams

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Take the best CB on the board when it is our turn to pick. No question about it.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

1. CB PJ Williams
    2. NT Jordan Phillips
    3. CB Charles Gaines
    4. CB Byron Jones
    5. CB Wayne Lyons
    6. CB Demetrious Nicholson
    7. TE Pharaoh Brown

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

No, its not too soon. The needs seem many, DB, LT, TE etc…. GM, Head Coach, OC, DC

CB, OT, and OLB are currently the biggest needs right now.

Dwinsgames

based on what I am witnessing , 1 draft wont come close to fixing this team ( esp at how poorly we normally draft ) unless Goodell gives us 20 picks and someone other than Colbert/Tomlin make them

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    based on what I am witnessing , 1 draft wont come close to fixing this team ( esp at how poorly we normally draft ) unless Goodell gives us 20 picks and someone other than Colbert/Tomlin make them
    This year draft is already becoming a large question mark. What if we do end up in the top 7 or 8 teams. That could put us in the running for an OT like Scherff, but another kid I like , Erving should be there later in the draft.

What if our pass rush don't come around, and we let Whorlds. walk. Would Randy Gregory, or Vic Beasley be attractive to us.

CBs Peters and Williams are moving up the board quickly, but in the top 8 or 10 would not be out of our reach. There should be a couple of second round CBs there that are looking pretty good right now.

AND,,,,,,,,,,, Is it time to try an find a QB to fill in for Ben if needed, and some day replace him.

Lots of question may very well show themselves in the next couple of months.

AML

Dwinsgames

This year draft is already becoming a large question mark. What if we do end up in the top 7 or 8 teams. That could put us in the running for an OT like Scherff, but another kid I like , Erving should be there later in the draft.

What if our pass rush don't come around, and we let Whorlds. walk. Would Randy Gregory, or Vic Beasley be attractive to us.

CBs Peters and Williams are moving up the board quickly, but in the top 8 or 10 would not be out of our reach. There should be a couple of second round CBs there that are looking pretty good right now.

AND,,,,,,,,,,, Is it time to try an find a QB to fill in for Ben if needed, and some day replace him.

Lots of question may very well show themselves in the next couple of months.
    I suggested last year we where a few drafts away without major change of being " competitive " and by competitive I mean contender ...

at some point Ben has to be a concern ... yes I know he is the best we have had since or maybe including Bradshaw but not going to start that debate here for obvious reasons ... Ben is getting no younger ... do we sit and waist the last few years of his "title run window " with a team incapable of making a big run or do we use him to leverage ourselves into a position to shorten our rebuild time and stay better longer ...

I was in favor of trading him last year to enable the team to get better sooner rather than later , most opposed this ... now we sit in the same situation with a team clearly not going any place and Ben yet another year older in the process ...

Ben is not the problem , but he is not part of the long term answer either ...

IF a team a QB away from a title run makes me the right offer I am not so sure I am quick to hang up the phone ... just sayin

I am over the current Front Office failures. Cant stomach having to debate the mess going on.

Time to throw out some scenarios that our Front Office would never have the balls to contemplate.

Free Agent signing
    Parameters:
    1. Steelers earn a 4th round compensation pick for Emmanuel Sanders.
    2. Steelers resign the following free agents: TE Matt Spaeth, CB Brice McCain, LS Greg Warren, LB Arthur Moats,
    3. Steelers tender the following free agents: SAF Robert Golden, FB Will Johnson, LB Terrence Garvin, OG Chris Hubbard, and WR Justin Brown
    5. Let Jason Worilds walk, Cut Cam Thomas, Ramon Foster & Lance Moore, Ike Taylor, Heath Miller & Troy Polamalu retire.
    6. Big Ben signs the contract he deserves allowing him to retire a steeler
    7. Use the freed up cap space to sign a quality free agent pass rusher -- Justin Houston 5year $60 Million contract ( I know its big but we have already told Worilds he is worth $10M a year)

Round 1: Brandon Scherff OT Iowa ( Protect Bens Blindside)
    Round 2: Lorenzo Mauldin OLB Louisville ( rotate with Jarvis Jones - time for a quality pass rush rotation)
    Round 3: Doran Grant CB Ohio State ( plays like a LeBeau corner and is an Ohio State alum.)
    Round 4: Ben Koyack TE Notre Dame ( Heath Miller like)
    Round 4 Comp: Steven Nelson CB Oregon State ( I like his physical style)
    Round 5: Tyrus Thompson OT / OG Oklahoma ( swing man who can play both tackle positions and would be a road grader at OG)
    Round 6: SS / WR ( Still scouting)
    Round 7: WR / SS ( Still scouting)

Don't have any late round gems as yet.

Lets get some draft talk going

Not a bad mock Aussie. See what you think of this one.

1.P.J. Williams, CB, Florida St. Like Peters as well but think he may be gone.
    2. Cameron Erving, OT, Florida St.
    3. Ben Kayack, TE, ND
    4. Steven Nelson, CB, Oregon St. Actually there are 2 fourth round CBs I like.
    4. Chucky Hunter, DT, TCU
    5 John Miller, OG, Louisville
    6. Ibraheim Campbell, SS, Northwestern. Big hitter, can tackle
    7. Mark Weisman, FB, Iowa. Been playing at tailback for the last couple of years. Never seems to be knocked backwards.

Take the money we were going to give Worlds and buy a pass rush.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Im with Dwins, some may feel he deserves the extension, but this is an Earn it Season, so 6 weeks in its to early.
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather