Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Josh Mauro a Steeler

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Re: Josh Mauro a Steeler

Well you completely missed me saying that it was just one play...sorry I didn't make GIFs for all the negative plays? I'd, you know, be here awhile if I tried that.

And yeah, let's look at the Youtube channel of the dude who is clearly a HUGE Mauro fan.

Do you know why Darrick Ware is such a huge fan of Mauro, Dwins?

Because that's his stepbrother.

https://www.facebook.com/darrick.ware.9?fref=ufi

Unbiased? Yeah...no. Sorry man, 1:30 cutups of only the good plays doesn't do it for me.

- - - Updated - - -

So it's that the "greater body of work" then shoot, I'm having Tomlin call my mom and tell him what a great athlete I am.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Well you completely missed me saying that it was just one play...sorry I didn't make GIFs for all the negative plays? I'd, you know, be here awhile if I tried that.

And yeah, let's look at the Youtube channel of the dude who is clearly a HUGE Mauro fan.

Do you know why Darrick Ware is such a huge fan of Mauro, Dwins?

Because that's his stepbrother.

https://www.facebook.com/darrick.ware.9?fref=ufi

Unbiased? Yeah...no. Sorry man, 1:30 cutups of only the good plays doesn't do it for me.

- - - Updated - - -

So it's that the "greater body of work" then shoot, I'm having Tomlin call my mom and tell him what a great athlete I am.
    didnt realize he also worked for draft breakdown

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

He did? Where? Only game from breakdown on Mauro is by JMPJedi...not Ward.

And yes, I watched that one. Was not impressed. The others...biased as heck and can't be taken credibly. When a guy's youtube channel is nothing but videos dedicated to one guy, you have to immediately question it. And then five minutes later I found out it was his stepbrother.

Dwinsgames

He did? Where? Only game from breakdown on Mauro is by JMPJedi...not Ward.

And yes, I watched that one. Was not impressed. The others...biased as heck and can't be taken credibly. When a guy's youtube channel is nothing but videos dedicated to one guy, you have to immediately question it. And then five minutes later I found out it was his stepbrother.
    that was my point , I posted all full game vids available , was nothing intended to be biased , it is what is out there ....

there are not highlights , its standard cutups ...

sure if it is his bro of corse he is a fan , and dedicates them to his brothers cause .... that does not make them biased because it does not change the plays made ....

it would be different had I posted highlights ( lots of those on youtube ) those are select games

So against UCLA, Mauro didn't play a single snap until the end of the third quarter? And on his first snap, it just so happened to be a tackle? Unlikely.

If you think 1-3 minute clips from a relative are the "standard" then I can't change your mind.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

So against UCLA, Mauro didn't play a single snap until the end of the third quarter? And on his first snap, it just so happened to be a tackle? Unlikely.

If you think 1-3 minute clips from a relative are the "standard" then I can't change your mind.
    That video jumps all around timing wise...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Dwinsgames

where did I say that ?

what I said was I provided what was available that was not classified as a Highlight real ...

as for why it started in the 3rd Quarter I can not say as it would only be a guess and the reasoning could be innocent or sinister .... games come on half way through all the time as 1 game ends they jump into another one , was this the case ? I have no clue I was not there ... was it because he did nothing prior ? perhaps it was , lots of cutups work that way if on a specific player they show that players plays and nothing else for the game ...sinister or common theme ? guess that is up to the viewer to decide ...

but I am not going to argue this with you its pointless I have far more important matter to attend to as yesterday my Dad was rushed to the hospital non responsive due to copd, asbestosis and a bad heart with co2 levels almost off the charts from his lung issues and being on oxygen 24-7 for the last half dozen years ... at 81 years old my thoughts are with him not this

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    The more I think about it, even if Mauro is never going to be a superstar this is one of the steals of the draft. For all we did at addressing the defense, for how stacked we are at linebacker, safety, and DT, and for how good our starting DE group should be... we are seriously lacking DE depth. A developing Mauro shores it up quite nicely.
    Mauro and Hemer both scored over 70 on the explosive index....There is definitely something there we can work with.

The question becomes... how much of the playbook can they absorb to have ANY amount of contribution to this team?...but then again, the same can (and will) be said about Tuitt.

I look for one of the these two UDFA's to make the roster and the other possibly be put on the PS.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

DE in LeBeau's D isn't an easy thing to learn either. Takes a couple seasons in most cases...

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/M...279203021.html
    Medford's Ethan Hemer is back in the NFL.

Hemer has been re-signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers to their practice squad. He flew to Pittsburgh Monday night and will be in uniform when the Steelers return to the practice field on Wednesday.
    Kiesel is questionable. McClendon is out. Cam Thomas sucks.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Mauro belonged on the 53 in the first place, so let's hope so.

While some of the moves that have been going on today seem like panic, if we're really switching gears into "nothing-to-lose" mode and trying out some different things, that can only help us long-term.

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Someone would have to be cut to make room for Mauro on the 53-man.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by one side only View Post
    Someone would have to be cut to make room for Mauro on the 53-man.

yep .. but the reality is he should have been there all along

as one of my draft hoe's I demand he makes it too lol

but really he played well enough to merit it and he is one of those guys who will play 10 years or more in the league

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

yep .. but the reality is he should have been there all along

as one of my draft hoe's I demand he makes it too lol

but really he played well enough to merit it and he is one of those guys who will play 10 years or more in the league
    I'm all for cutting Cam Thomas . . . why wait until the end of the season?

Dwinsgames

I am still boggled it did not happen before the season ...he did NOT make my final 53 and it was not close

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I am still boggled it did not happen before the season ...he did NOT make my final 53 and it was not close

They paid him too much money, that's all. Cutting him and eating the $1M signing bonus before he played a snap would be too much egg on the face of Colbert or Tomlin or whoever was behind the idea. Basically admitting they fucked up because they were desperate and didn't know what they were doing. Have to let him play out the season so you can say, "Welp, we gave him a shot and it's the player's fault for not living up to it." From the moment he signed, he was basically guaranteed a roster spot for that reason alone. It sucks, but that's what happened.

Still pisses me off how many NT prospects we've passed over in favor of using the same strategy we use for CBs, or in other words, "If talent at a position is scarce and hard to draft, leave it until the late rounds, especially if a good prospect inexplicably falls to round 2 or 3." I mean, looking back at this year's draft, the best NT prospect (Louis Nix) ended up on IR, but I'd still rather have him than Dri fucking Archer.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Interesting article on Mauro impersonating JJ Watt during practice. http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/1...ans-star-watt/

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Put him in, coach.

Senior Member Array title="TMC has a spectacular aura about">

Interesting article on Mauro impersonating JJ Watt during practice. http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/1...ans-star-watt/
    While I get Mauro is trying to impersonate him, the differences between the two are pretty drastic. Watt was 20 pounds heavier coming out of college. He was also faster and stronger. Physically, Watt was a specimen. The key for Watt was if he could translate that to the NFL. He was something of a slow-starter in games, could be blocked by LTs, and did not play to the power he had all the time. He also struggled some with recognition. Now, do not remember if they were 2-gapping him or not in college, but the Texans put him in a system where he flourished and Watt did the rest himself, cleaning up his game, playing with a great motor, using all his physical tools to become elite. Some guys do it, some don't.

Mauro has better recognition. He plays smart. Polished. He can work blockers. The problem with Mauro, he lacks size, power, speed, and the physical attributes that Watt had. Much easier to get a guy to turn it on if he has the skills than it is to get a guy who has the mental to develop the physical. It would be nice, but I just do not see Mauro making that leap.

To me, Hemer is a little closer to Watt physically than any other guys on roster (unless you want to count Heyward or Tuitt). But, in order to use them, you are taking them from the defensive side where they are working to help stop the Texans offense.

Dwinsgames

Physically speaking Mauro is 1 inch taller and 8 pounds lighter than Aaron Smith was .... if he can add 10-15 pounds of muscle I think he can be special ( he is a tactician already ) just needs some additional strength to be dominant ( not saying he is weak cause he is not just needs more to consistently handle a double team )

Been a fan and mocked him several times to Steelers as early as round 4 ( he has the skill set ) him going undrafted for me was one of the bigger surprises of the draft ...

Senior Member Array title="TMC has a spectacular aura about">

Physically speaking Mauro is 1 inch taller and 8 pounds lighter than Aaron Smith was .... if he can add 10-15 pounds of muscle I think he can be special ( he is a tactician already ) just needs some additional strength to be dominant ( not saying he is weak cause he is not just needs more to consistently handle a double team )

Been a fan and mocked him several times to Steelers as early as round 4 ( he has the skill set ) him going undrafted for me was one of the bigger surprises of the draft ...
    The problem is, Aaron Smith was light for a 3-4 DE. He was 279. He ended up putting on 15-20 pounds to play DE for the Steelers. Aaron Smith was listed, by the Steelers, at 298. So, Mauro really needs to get over 290, meaning he has to add roughly 20 pounds just to get to a truly serviceable size with closer to 30 pounds being better. If you are talking about 30 pounds of muscle, for an athlete, that will likely take him well over a year to do if he does not train it off.

Mauro also only has 33" arms. IIRC, Aaron Smith's arm length was a little over 35". Smith benched 225-19 times. Mauro did it 21 at the combine and 29 at his pro day. A little stronger than Aaron, but arm length comes into play. Mauro might be a technician, but Aaron Smith was as good in that area as it gets.

To me, Mauro has a long way to go to even draw early comparisons to Aaron Smith. The size and arm length come into play really early. He won't grown longer arms and it is going to take time to add the needed mass. Then, he has to show the mental aspects that Aaron had, which were pretty damn elite. That is a big hill to climb, AS did it, few do.