Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Round Pick is Ryan Shazier LB OSU !

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Re: 1st Round Pick is Ryan Shazier LB OSU !

Dude is freaking FAST for a LB!
    Led all players at the combine with a 42-inch vertical jump and blazed a sub-4.4 40 time at his pro day.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    We need help at all 3 levels, so I'm not upset.
    True, but I think CB was the biggest need of all, and they passed on the best one available. Like I said, Shazier had better pan out, because right now, Colbert and Tomlin are not looking real smart.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by katmandu View Post
    Dude is freaking FAST for a LB!
    Maybe he can help return punts...he is aerodynamic...too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I would've rather have had one of the safeties.
    I have a feeling Spence might be our safety project now.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    True, but I think CB was the biggest need of all, and they passed on the best one available. Like I said, Shazier had better pan out, because right now, Colbert and Tomlin are not looking real smart.
    Best one available on "paper." will be some time before we can say that for sure...which could be a good thing. And hey...he's still available...for now.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Maybe he can help return punts...he is aerodynamic...too soon?
    He has suddenness. Not sure about the glide.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    Spence just got cleared . Now were crowded at one position and empty at DB great job Kevin colbert
    I think the rosy Spence reports are BS. This pick confirms it, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    He has suddenness. Not sure about the glide.
    lol...look at him again...he definitely has "glide."

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Well we don't have any fat lazy LB's any longer. When the Bears picked Fuller i had a feeling they would go LB. I think it will pan out ok.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

McGill and Baptiste are both very prototypically what the Steelers would want. They're just not guys who could start this year. But you have Allen blossoming, Ike back for another season (for better or worse), and a few guys who can backup if they really had to. If you weren't going to start Dennard this year anyways, why not wait and get McGill or Baptiste? They could play situationally and step into the starting role next season.
    Ike Taylor's days of being good are behind him, Allen is inconsistent, and outside of that your best corner is William Gay who is best suited as a nickle corner. McGill and Baptiste didn't shutdown every receiver they went up against like Dennard did, they didn't win the Jim Thorpe Award or be an important part of one of the elite defenses in college football like Dennard. A.J Green and Josh Gordon are laughing at our cornerback corp.

Dennard got many of his accolades doing things that will get him penalty flags in the NFL. I'd be more upset if they had passed up Fuller.

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

I have a feeling Spence might be our safety project now.
    X2
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I hope Shazier is good enough to start from day one beside Timmons and be productive.

Senior Member Array title="Jaucer is on a distinguished road">

midwest ohio home of the MAC high school conference

Dennard got many of his accolades doing things that will get him penalty flags in the NFL. I'd be more upset if they had passed up Fuller.
    This x2. Dennard is an NFL PI flag waiting to happen. Maybe he'll correct that and maybe he won't. Once Fuller was gone the Steelers were better to wait until later to get a CB.

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I hope Shazier is good enough to start from day one beside Timmons and be productive.
    I think he is. One of the rare players who could start on our defense immediately. But he might not even have to do it full time, we'll get some looks from Moats and Williams. I think we're going to be very pleased with our LB corps this season... the entire LB corps... for the first time since when, Lloyd Green Kirkland Brown Ravotti?

Senior Member Array title="Jaucer is on a distinguished road">

midwest ohio home of the MAC high school conference

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    He has the football IQ to, so I won't rule it out. Like I said in the draft thread I can see him calling the defensive plays in a few years.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

We have enough lbs ... You can hide a sub par lb we have noooooo DBS at all

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I think he is. One of the rare players who could start on our defense immediately. But he might not even have to do it full time, we'll get some looks from Moats and Williams. I think we're going to be very pleased with our LB corps this season... the entire LB corps... for the first time since when, Lloyd Green Kirkland Brown Ravotti?
    That's about how I feel also.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by katmandu View Post
    ....and what if Sean Spence makes a miraculous recovery ???
    what if he does ?

Shazier 10 times the prospect

- - - Updated - - -

yep we hid Vince williams all last year by putting troy in the box all year long weakening our secondary in the process ....

our LB core just got better as did our secondary by default

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I dunno. Troy was pretty conspicuous, and not in a good way, when he was forced into playing at LB last year thanks to all the damn injuries. Don't care to a see a repeat of that.

We have 8 more picks. Keep the faith.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

The draft does not end tonight, and there is a lot of very good CBs still out there.

AML

Thee Conservative Steeler Array title="steel9guy is on a distinguished road"> steel9guy's Avatar

I'm iffy on this pick. I like it but I was really hoping for secondary. Back in the day I'd trust this pick but Tomlin and Colbert haven't been on their draft game like Colbert used to be.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

All I have to say about this pick is, are you fucking kidding me? With the highest natural pick we've had in years, we go and waste it on the one position we DON'T need. We used the #15 overall pick to give ourselves an odd man out - BRILLIANT fucking work, rocket scientists.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

what if he does ?

Shazier 10 times the prospect

- - - Updated - - -

yep we hid Vince williams all last year by putting troy in the box all year long weakening our secondary in the process ....

our LB core just got better as did our secondary by default
    Spence --> Safety.

Shazier just added a lot of speed to our Defense. Aggressive tackling machine.

http://youtu.be/wmT5sX7G3xk

Senior Member Array title="MrPgh has a spectacular aura about">

The Steelers sure do love LBs, and they love to de-value the CB position.

Tomlin said early this week that there was a premium on pass rush capabilities. Maybe we should expect more of the same tomorrow. Kind of exciting stuff.

Not sure why so many people are putting so much faith in Spence. IMO, he's a long shot at this point, and them picking a kid to play ILB instead of CB at #15 speaks volumes to me. This defense is a mess and needs help everywhere. I would have been mad if they went WR or OL again.

I don't understand what this Spence fetish is. This pick says nothing about him. Spence is a situational player and safety conversion project, who might or might not yield any fruit. He never was supposed to be a starting ILB.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Not sure why so many people are putting so much faith in Spence. IMO, he's a long shot at this point, and them picking a kid to play ILB instead of CB at #15 speaks volumes to me. This defense is a mess and needs help everywhere.
    I'm not putting faith in Spence; I was more wondering what we're going to do with Moats. And I guess this means Williams is like 6th-string now; not that he was great, but as a backup, he could've been fine. And I also wonder what we're going to do with three #1 draft picks and a #2 as linebackers - even if they all play up to their draft position, we can't pay them all or we're just stupid.

Overall, the thing that pisses me off the most is that we've been neglecting the DB position for 10 years, and NT for a similar amount of time, and we just whoopty-dooed past both of those again. It doesn't fill a need, nor am I even remotely sure it was the best player available. This guy better turn out to be a perennial Pro Bowler or I'm PISSED.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Safe to say Harrison won't be returning?