Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Re: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Boh View Post
    Pirates will win the Division
    They have a better shot at getting the top WC than the division. I still think the Cards win it.

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    They have a better shot at getting the top WC than the division. I still think the Cards win it.
    RTJR

theyve got a legitimate shot now...2.5 behind the Cards with tonight's win

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

The Pirates are looking good at the right time. Offense is playing well, the starting pitching is looking better in the second half of the season, but the bullpen still worries me. I think the Pirates will win the next two series.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    RTJR

theyve got a legitimate shot now...2.5 behind the Cards with tonight's win
    Cards have a tissue-paper soft schedule down the stretch: 3 vs. COL, 3 vs. MIL, 3 vs. CIN, 3 @CHC, 3 @ARZ

Pirates' schedule: 3 vs. CHC, 3 vs. BOS, 3 vs. MIL, 4 @ATL, 3 @CIN

I can't see the Pirates catching them.

Senior Member Array title="Boh will become famous soon enough"> Boh's Avatar

smfh davis. literally has ruined my lunch and my day. im so mad i cant even think straight
    https://i.imgur.com/GCEAsxD.png

Ok, a double header sweep over the skankees and a jays loss. i feel better now. Lets clinch

edit: hope pit hangs on, ahead of cubs right now

Ok, a double header sweep over the skankees and a jays loss. i feel better now. Lets clinch

edit: hope pit hangs on, ahead of cubs right now
    They did indeed hang on...and pull away. 7-3 win. Unfortunately the Cards also won, so they are still 2.5 games out.

As for the O's, I'm really rooting for them. Buck Showalter really has that team believing they can win no matter who is out of the lineup. They've lost 3 of their best players (though Davis the one-year wonder was having an awful season before he got caught cheating), and they still lead the division by 11.5 games. They can pretty much coast the rest of the way.

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Love this time of year...baseball in it's final stretch, football is just getting started. Buccos are looking good...just wish the Cards would have a few bad luck games and get some losses in

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Wouldn't it be great to have a Pirates-Orioles World Series? We could wear 1979 throwback uniforms and play "We Are Fam-A-Lee" over the loudspeakers. Maybe we can even win Game 7 in Baltimore.

suck it yankees!

suck it yankees!
    Baltimore is playing some good ball these days. But the Angels look unstoppable, going to be tough to beat in the playoffs. I think you guys have taken every series you played with then this year though, correct? I'm thinkin that's going to be one hell of an ALCS

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    Baltimore is playing some good ball these days. But the Angels look unstoppable, going to be tough to beat in the playoffs. I think you guys have taken every series you played with then this year though, correct? I'm thinkin that's going to be one hell of an ALCS
    Yeah I believe the O's took 4 of 6 from them in the most recent series. anywho, its Clinchmas eve in Baltimore!!!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Pirates hit win their 81st game by pounding the Red Sox 9-1 tonight.

Yes. It's still a big deal. First back-to-back non-losing seasons since 1990-1992.

Need the Cardinals to falter just a little to open the door. Wish we had one more series against them to make up for the one we lost

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Damn, can't gain any ground. Gotta sweep Mil

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Damn, can't gain any ground. Gotta sweep Mil
    We gaimed plenty of ground in the WC, but the cards just refuse to lose! Bastards are pissing me off

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Nice 1-0 win this afternoon. Watson had me nervous in the 9th inning after Worley pitched a gem but they held on, magic number is now at 3 to clinch a playoff spot.

Makes me happy that they have pretty much ended any hopes of the Sewers making the playoffs. Fuck you, Ryan Fraud!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

. Forget the Cards, that isn't happening. If San Fran loses today ( down 6 runs heading into the 9th) we have the inside track to the first wild card which brings the game back to PNC Park. That's what we're playing the last week for.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The pirates are in the playoffs again!!!!

Last year was not a fluke!

congrats.

edit: i enjoy ending a game with a jeter strikeout
    Last edited by Boh; 09-23-2014 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The pirates are in the playoffs again!!!!

Last year was not a fluke!
    And they overcame a LOT to get that playoff berth this season. Injury after injury to key players, and that awful April start. It can be argued that Clint Hurdle did a better job managing this season than he did last season.

Oh, and Josh Harrison bursting onto the scene along with Eddie Volquez and Russell Martin having big seasons didn't hurt.

BTW, speaking of one of those key players...

Gerrit Cole is now 8-1 with an ERA under 3 in September the past 2 seasons. All he did tonight was mow down the final 17 batters he faced after giving up 2 runs in the first. Yeah, this guy ain't "ace" material...

Sure going to be a fun playoffs to watch.

October Baseball is so underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    . Forget the Cards, that isn't happening. If San Fran loses today ( down 6 runs heading into the 9th) we have the inside track to the first wild card which brings the game back to PNC Park. That's what we're playing the last week for.
    Nothing is impossible...I'm still holding out hope

1.5 behind...just need some luck on our side

but if it doesn't happen, I'm ok with that, right now we are a game up on SF for the top WC spot and clinched a garaunteed playoff spot last night! Exciting times for Bucco fans

knocking yanks out of wildcard mathematically. feels good man.

Now if the A's would lose a couple games so the O's could take best record

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

And they overcame a LOT to get that playoff berth this season. Injury after injury to key players, and that awful April start. It can be argued that Clint Hurdle did a better job managing this season than he did last season.

Oh, and Josh Harrison bursting onto the scene along with Eddie Volquez and Russell Martin having big seasons didn't hurt.

BTW, speaking of one of those key players...

Gerrit Cole is now 8-1 with an ERA under 3 in September the past 2 seasons. All he did tonight was mow down the final 17 batters he faced after giving up 2 runs in the first. Yeah, this guy ain't "ace" material...
    I take it that barb was aimed at me.

You give up two runs in the first two innings against a playoff team and chances are you aren't coming back .Also the Braves aren't exactly murderer's row. Shut out the night before as I remember. I think they're on course to set a team record for lowest batting average for a month.

Look I'm a Pirate fan and I want the kid to succeed. And I do think he has ace stuff. But the fact of the matter is what separates us and the Cardinals at this moment is the game that Cole gave away to them. He still hasn't put it all together. Based on last year's playoffs I thought he was a little further along than he's proved to be so far this season.

But hopefully he can take the way he finished last night's game into the playoffs.

No, the fact of the matter is you're expecting this kid to be Adam Wainwright when he's spent a grand total of 15 months in the majors. What I'm trying to tell you is that it takes TIME...TIME...to develop into a true ace. And patience with young players is something fans do not have these days.

But whatever. Onward to the playoffs.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

No, the fact of the matter is you're expecting this kid to be Adam Wainwright when he's spent a grand total of 15 months in the majors. What I'm trying to tell you is that it takes TIME...TIME...to develop into a true ace. And patience with young players is something fans do not have these days.

Agree with you

You have to be patient with young pitchers. Justin Verlander had an ERA of 4.80 in his 3rd season in 2008!

No I'm hoping he will pitch to his considerable ability soon. Like a hundred young pitchers have done in the past. The fact of the matter is he pitched a poor game against the Cardinals at the beginning of this month and that's the difference between where they stand and where the Pirates currently stand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Agree with you

You have to be patient with young pitchers. Justin Verlander had an ERA of 4.80 in his 3rd season in 2008!
    And Fernando Valenzuela led the Dodgers to a WS title as a rookie. As have others.

He(Cole) set the bar last year. We already have an idea what he's capable of.

I'm with X on this one Zu....the kid will be our Ace for years to come......just takes time