Thread: 2014 draft: Variables

2014 draft: Variables

With the #15 pick, it would seem that our biggest need is still CB...HOWEVER...

#10 Detroit Lions: Needed a WR, Safety and a CB...and just signed Golden Tate

#11 Tenessee Titans: Lost Verner to free agency and will be looking for a long term replacement

#12 New York Giants: Consider CB one of their greatest needs, have been fishing in free agency

#13 St Louis Rams: Cut CB Cortland Finnigan and will be looking for a replacement

#14 Chicago Bears: Needed a Safety and CB and just signed FS Jenkins and FS Mundy

Of course some team will overpay for Darrell Revis, and their are still some CB's on the market that may have to sign a contract for less than they want as the draft draws closer. In the next few weeks we need to keep an eye on the above teams and on players like Revis... Captain Munnerlyn...Tarell Brown...Antonio Cromartie...Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie...Corey Graham...Nolan Carroll...etc.

If two of those above mentioned teams are still in need of a cornerback as draft day approaches, we may have to rethink our #15 pick and either pick up a free agent or trade up with a willing team like the Bills at #9 (which isnt likely). Might even see a trade down to pick up DE Ra'shede Hageman or DE Stephon Tuitt
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Dwinsgames

Re: 2014 draft: Variables

C.J. Mosley just ran a 4.7 at his pro day ....... ( not what people where expecting )

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Looking more and more like we are going to have to trade down. Seems like best available and our greatest needs won't match up at pick 15

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Lets just hope for the epic Fall of Sammy Watkins
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltreal View Post
    Lets just hope for the epic Fall of Sammy Watkins
    I'd be very surprised to see him make it past the Bucs, Raiders, Rams and Bills

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Looking more and more like we are going to have to trade down. Seems like best available and our greatest needs won't match up at pick 15
    If we do...get ready for some groaning. Our biggest need after CB is the defensive line, and there will be an outcry if the BPA is a Defensive End.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

I saw Linval Joseph as a NT, the Anchor of LeBeaus 3-4 is the Nose. He got similar contract as Mitchell from Vikings I think.
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltreal View Post
    I saw Linval Joseph as a NT, the Anchor of LeBeaus 3-4 is the Nose. He got similar contract as Mitchell from Vikings I think.
    With the NFL becoming a passing league, the run stuffing NT isnt as crucial. Yes...we still need one, but the days of paying big money for one is over. Not going to write a big check for a player that is only on the field for two downs.

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I also have to think, that with some of the FA signings and teams above the Steelers in the draft releasing CBs, Gilbert and Dennard are quite likely to both be gone before pick 15. The Steelers may also be very thin at the DE position by that time. I've had a strange feeling for awhile that the Steelers would end up with a D-lineman in the first round. While it is perhaps not the most exciting pick, I would understand it.

Dwinsgames

If we are forced to draft a DE early I hope its Aaron Donald , I know the rap /song and dance /can't play end in a 3-4 jive already but I do not believe it ...

people say he is to small ... well is he ?

a limitation that is perceived by a measurable is not really a limitation at all if you put up the numbers to offset it / in spite of it ...then was it really a limitation at all or just perceived limitation ?

I think Donald can play End in a 3-4 , maybe not the type of end we are used to but one that can be a disruptive force in his own right like Heyward ( but more so ) ...

if we unleash hell ( not in December ) but all season long Linebackers and End the like rushing the passer it will be to many bodies to block and to much heat in the QBs kitchen ... Play man coverage in the secondary ( bump and run ) I think we could mess some teams up esp the sketchy decision makers in our own division , limit their time and they are in trouble deep .... ...

not saying every down bring the house , but do so at least a time or two every series ... I think the turnover ratio would go up a BUNCH in doing so ...sure we would be suspect vs the run but if we are scoring points teams are gonna have to pass to have a chance at staying in the game

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Biggest need at the moment is DE over CB...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

If we are forced to draft a DE early I hope its Aaron Donald , I know the rap /song and dance /can't play end in a 3-4 jive already but I do not believe it ...

a limitation that is perceived by a measurable is not really a limitation at all if you put up the numbers to offset it / in spite of it ...then was it really a limitation at all or just perceived limitation ?

I think Donald can play End in a 3-4 , maybe not the type of end we are used to but one that can be a disruptive force in his own right like Heyward ( but more so ) ...

if we unleash hell ( not in December ) but all season long Linebackers and End the like rushing the passer it will be to many bodies to block and to much heat in the QBs kitchen ... Play man coverage in the secondary ( bump and run ) I think we could mess some teams up esp the sketchy decision makers in our own division , limit their time and they are in trouble deep .... ...

not saying every down bring the house , but do so at least a time or two every series ... I think the turnover ratio would go up a BUNCH in doing so ...sure we would be suspect vs the run but if we are scoring points teams are gonna have to pass to have a chance at staying in the game
    One heck of a player!!

-- Jack Lambert --

I am concerned with drafting someone who doesn't fit our scheme. We tried drafting a 4-3 DT and plugging him in at 3-4 end when we drafted Ziggy Hood and that failed. Please convince me otherwise

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I am concerned with drafting someone who doesn't fit our scheme. We tried drafting a 4-3 DT and plugging him in at 3-4 end when we drafted Ziggy Hood and that failed. Please convince me otherwise
    not even close to the same player , Hood was never the force Donald is , Donalds first step is elite he could play DE in a 4-3 IMO or a 3-4 he is just so dominate and disruptive , strong as an ox , powerful ...

lots of 3-4 DE are DT in College .....

• Bronko Nagurski Trophy Winner - Nation's Most Outstanding Defensive Player
    • Chuck Bednarik Award Winner - Defensive Player of the Year
    • Outland Trophy Winner - Nation's Best Offensive of Defensive Interior Lineman
    • Rotary Lombardi Award Winner - Nation's Most Outstanding Lineman or Linebacker
    • Athlon Sports National Defensive Player of the Year
    • CBSSports.com National Defensive Player of the Year
    • Lindy's Sports National Defensive Player of the Year
    • American Football Coaches Association All-American (first team)
    • Associated Press All-American (first team)
    • Athlon Sports All-American (first team)
    • ESPN.com All-American (first team)
    • Football Writers Association of America All-American (first team)
    • Lindy's Sports All-American (first team)
    • SI.com All-American (first team)
    • Sporting News All-American (first team)
    • USA TODAY All-American (first team)
    • Walter Camp Football Foundation All-American (first team)
    • ACC Defensive Player of the Year (coaches & media)
    • Athlon Sports ACC Defensive Player of the Year
    • All-ACC (first team) (coaches & media)

He had 11 sacks playing end in a 3-4 set as a sophomore in 2011 and 11 playing tackle in a 4-3 alignment
    Last edited by Dwinsgames; 03-12-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

If the team goes DE in the first, then Donald is also the guy I would like. A ton of "football talent", does not take plays off, and has immense strength even if he does not match the prototypical height/weight of a 3-4 DE.

not even close to the same player , Hood was never the force Donald is , Donalds first step is elite he could play DE in a 4-3 IMO or a 3-4 he is just so dominate and disruptive , strong as an ox , powerful ...

lots of 3-4 DE are DT in College .....

• Bronko Nagurski Trophy Winner - Nation's Most Outstanding Defensive Player
    • Chuck Bednarik Award Winner - Defensive Player of the Year
    • Outland Trophy Winner - Nation's Best Offensive of Defensive Interior Lineman
    • Rotary Lombardi Award Winner - Nation's Most Outstanding Lineman or Linebacker
    • Athlon Sports National Defensive Player of the Year
    • CBSSports.com National Defensive Player of the Year
    • Lindy's Sports National Defensive Player of the Year
    • American Football Coaches Association All-American (first team)
    • Associated Press All-American (first team)
    • Athlon Sports All-American (first team)
    • ESPN.com All-American (first team)
    • Football Writers Association of America All-American (first team)
    • Lindy's Sports All-American (first team)
    • SI.com All-American (first team)
    • Sporting News All-American (first team)
    • USA TODAY All-American (first team)
    • Walter Camp Football Foundation All-American (first team)
    • ACC Defensive Player of the Year (coaches & media)
    • Athlon Sports ACC Defensive Player of the Year
    • All-ACC (first team) (coaches & media)

He had 11 sacks playing end in a 3-4 set as a sophomore in 2011 and 11 playing tackle in a 4-3 alignment
    OK thank you

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I would be okay with that if we went D-line in the 1st.

I would be okay with that if we went D-line in the 1st

Dwinsgames

would be great for Donald too ... he would only have to move his stuff across town and could go to Moms to eat daily as he is a not only a local player ( Pitt ) but a local Kid as well