Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: combine news

Re: combine news

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I don't like the idea of taking Nix…isn't this guy coming off a knee injury?
    I agree...As of now...I'm still hoping for Gilbert or Dennard. If not those two, Then I would look at LB CJ Mosely, or WR Mike Evans
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Anyone have a hunch on some top 10 players slipping to 15 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Anyone have a hunch on some top 10 players slipping to 15 yet?
    My guess (at this time) would be Manziel and Barr are possibilities.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Dwinsgames

Anthony Barr ..........

Stephon Tuitt .....

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Anthony Barr ..........

Stephon Tuitt .....
    I have Tuitt at 34 on my big board...but he is a hell of a player.

-- Jack Lambert --

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I have Tuitt at 34 on my big board...but he is a hell of a player.

I have spotted him all over the first round some top 10 let me get a look see real quick ... for me though he is around 20-23 just real quick got this one ( 14) http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Rankings.php

but yea hell of a player eitherway

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

S Dion Bailey compares his game to Troy Polamalu: http://www.steelers.com/news/article...0-d2d0add835d3

looks like Carnell Lake recruited him back in the day. Im sure he's been keeping an eye on him. Interesting stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

After getting a chance to watch combine footage I seem to be on a different train of thought to most.

At #15 the only players that fit what the steelers are looking for ( IMO) are:
    1.Mike Evans
    2. Justin Gilbert

I think both are gone.

I would love to add Dennard there after watching the combine, however he is better suited to playing at the LOS, not 10 yards off.

Players that I have confirmed my thoughts on are:

2a. Kyle Fuller CB
    2b. Donte Moncrieff WR
    3. Terrance Brooks FS
    3c. Phillip Gaines CB

(that looks like a good trade down scenario to me)

Two players that stood out in later rounds for me are:
    1. Brandon Dixon CB
    2. Willie Snead WR

Heres hoping #15 becomes a hot spot for a trade.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    I seem to be on a different train of thought to most.

not sure we are that far off in train of thought

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Mosely is still my top choice at 15, but I don't think he will be there. My second chose, a close second, is Gilbert but don't think he will be available for us either. I wouldn't mind Evans, think he might be there for us if we want to go in that direction.

I still like the idea of trading down. If we do I would like to see us target Tuitt. Tuitt's surgery is a type that takes a long time to fully recover from, but one that he can come back from and be the player he was, remember how long it took Heath to get back to the player he was. If Truitt had the year he had the year before I think he would have been a top 10 or 12 player.

If we did trade down I think there is a good chance we could end up with,
    Tuitt, DE
    Fuller, CB
    Matthews, or Moncrief, WR
    Brooks, Bailey, or Jean-Baptiste. Still like Jean-Baptiste as a safety.
    and still might have 2 4ths and 2 5ths to work with.

You still have an eye for late round talent Aussie.

AML

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

What would folks think of the Steelers taking taking Aaron Donald at 15? Obviously he could not be a NT for the team, but he could play at DE in the 3-4. DE is not the team's biggest need, I know, but I'm thinking he might be the best overall player available when they pick. The kid did it on the field and it shows up on the tape. He dominated at the Senior Bowl. His combine numbers and workout were in the upper-echelon of players...........oh, and by all accounts he is a high-character kid too.

I'm hoping Justin Gilbert or Darqueze Dennard are there for the Steelers at 15, but if not, there will be a number of excellent prospects from which they can choose.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    What would folks think of the Steelers taking taking Aaron Donald at 15? Obviously he could not be a NT for the team, but he could play at DE in the 3-4. DE is not the team's biggest need, I know, but I'm thinking he might be the best overall player available when they pick. The kid did it on the field and it shows up on the tape. He dominated at the Senior Bowl. His combine numbers and workout were in the upper-echelon of players...........oh, and by all accounts he is a high-character kid too.

I'm hoping Justin Gilbert or Darqueze Dennard are there for the Steelers at 15, but if not, there will be a number of excellent prospects from which they can choose.

I really like Donald as a player and an individual ( not that I know him personally ) but based on his off field character he is a show me player too , he will go out and try and prove himself play after play , he takes nothing for granted and shows up to work ..... I do believe he could play end in the 3-4 ( but I am not in the majority in that thinking ) ... my thought about his lack of length is low man win the leverage battle and what you miss out on for hands in the air you gain much more in a penetration / disruption department ...

If a guy like Elvis Dumerville ( 5'-11" -260 ) can play the 3-4 and the 4-3 no reason for me to believe Donald ( a more athletic version of Dumerville ) can not do the same with equal or greater results ...

that being said based on our needs and lack of a natural 3rd round pick we have to make the most of the selection at 15 and take a guy who instantly upgrades us in a place of need or trade down for value and gather picks to address more needs

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    After getting a chance to watch combine footage I seem to be on a different train of thought to most.

At #15 the only players that fit what the steelers are looking for ( IMO) are:
    1.Mike Evans
    2. Justin Gilbert

I think both are gone.

I would love to add Dennard there after watching the combine, however he is better suited to playing at the LOS, not 10 yards off.

Players that I have confirmed my thoughts on are:

2a. Kyle Fuller CB
    2b. Donte Moncrieff WR
    3. Terrance Brooks FS
    3c. Phillip Gaines CB

(that looks like a good trade down scenario to me)

Two players that stood out in later rounds for me are:
    1. Brandon Dixon CB
    2. Willie Snead WR

Love Gaines. in fact I would be happy to take him with a 2nd round pick. I have to think that we are in a great sopot to trade with the eagles. the bears will take one of the first round safeties at #14...and the Eagles are at #22 in desperate need of a safety.

At #22 we could grab OLB Dee Ford,
    DE Stephon Tuitt & CB Gaines in the 2nd,
    Safety Terrence Brooks in the 3rd,
    and WR Jeff Jannis is the 4th.

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Love Gaines. in fact I would be happy to take him with a 2nd round pick. I have to think that we are in a great sopot to trade with the eagles. the bears will take one of the first round safeties at #14...and the Eagles are at #22 in desperate need of a safety.

At #22 we could grab OLB Dee Ford,
    DE Stephon Tuitt & CB Gaines in the 2nd,
    Safety Terrence Brooks in the 3rd,
    and WR Jeff Jannis is the 4th.
    i dig it. if clowney decides to pull a jamarcus russell, ford will end up being one of the top 3 pass rushers in this draft. i assume you think we will lose either worilds or woodley?
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    . i assume you think we will lose either worilds or woodley?
    probably 1 for sure , could lose both if not done properly .... even if we manage to keep 1 , whats behind them ? and neither have been the picture of health in their NFL careers to this point

i dig it. if clowney decides to pull a jamarcus russell, ford will end up being one of the top 3 pass rushers in this draft. i assume you think we will lose either worilds or woodley?
    Woodley is as good as gone, (IMO) I feel relatively confident with Jones and Worilds...but we have NO depth behind them other then Carter. The bonus is that Jones actual can and did play ILB for us on some plays. A foursome of Worilds, Timmons, Jones, and Ford excites the heck out of me.

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post

I would argue that DE is a need, Kiesel is old and Ziggy Hood is a bust. They could use a fresh face opposite Heyward at DE

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I would argue that DE is a need, Kiesel is old and Ziggy Hood is a bust. They could use a fresh face opposite Heyward at DE
    Actually...there is a chance that neither will be resigned.

-- Jack Lambert --

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Need, yes. First round need, no. I hope that our days of taking DEs in the first round is over.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Actually...there is a chance that neither will be resigned.
    There is also that too, especially Hood, whom I find it hard to believe they would re-sign

There is also that too, especially Hood, whom I find it hard to believe they would re-sign
    I would not be surprised to see them resign Hood, find a fatbody in FA to play NT... and then use McLendon as a DE/NT. Giving us a rotation of Cameron, Wood, Hood,McLendon

-- Jack Lambert --

I would not be surprised to see them resign Hood, find a fatbody in FA to play NT... and then use McLendon as a DE/NT. Giving us a rotation of Cameron, Wood, Hood,McLendon
    linval joseph, paul soliai, terrence cody, MAYBE bj raji? cody could turn out to be the biggest sleeper acquisition in FA. Kid just cant play because he has to compete for time with Haloti Ngata

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    You still have an eye for late round talent Aussie.
    Here goes Ed, In order of position of need:

Cornerback: (must be tall and fast)
    1. Phillip Gaines Rice 6'0 193, 40 time 4.38, Kid is quick and smooth
    2. Brandon Dixon NW Miss State 5'11 203, 40 time 4.41. super fast twitch muscles

Wide Receiver: ( guys that are productive)
    1. Willie Snead Ball State 5'11 190 40 time 4.62 (softest hands, smoothest runner in the gauntlet drill. Snead had 106 receptions for 1,516 and 15 touchdowns - all single-season school records)
    2. La'damian Washington Missouri 6'3 195 40 time 4.46 ( 17.9 yard per catch)

Safety ( guys with range who can tackle)
    1. Maurice Alexander Utah State 6'1 220 4.54 (performed well at the combine drawing attention for his speed / agility)
    2. Antone Exum V Tech 5'11 213 4.59 ( CB opposite my favourite Kyle Fuller. A very muscular CB who looks like a FS in the pro's)
    3. Tre Boston Nth Carolina 5'11 204 4.59 ( I have liked Boston all year. He is sliding down the boards as others are noticed)
    4. Brock Vereen Minnesota 5'11 200 4.47 ( haven't seen film, looked athletic at combine)

OLB ( short, powerful, can defend against the run)

1. Shaquil Barrett Colorado State 6'2 260"
    2. Derrell Johnson E. Carolina 6'1 248"
    3. Khasim Edebale Boston College 6'2 253"

Nose Tackle
    1. Robert Thomas Arkansas 6'1 327" ( broke his leg and lost nearly all of this season. Didn't run at the combine, only benched. Has talent)

Running Backs
    my two sleeper RB's have lost the plot.
    Kapri Bibbs ran really slow and Adam Muema left the combine due to gods wishes.
    I now have nothing at RB

Others who I will keep an eye out for

Isiah Lewis SS Mich State
    Ryan Groh OG Wisconsin

Not sure if there are any new names there for you TEX

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

linval joseph, paul soliai, terrence cody, MAYBE bj raji? cody could turn out to be the biggest sleeper acquisition in FA. Kid just cant play because he has to compete for time with Haloti Ngata
    Yea...but he also looks like he ATE Haloti Ngata.

-- Jack Lambert --

Dwinsgames

Yea...but he also looks like he ATE Haloti Ngata.

kinda makes you throw up in your mouth a bit doesn't it ?