Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FA In for a Visit

Dwinsgames

FA In for a Visit

may be a good sticky with the FA period opening up to track who we take looks at and give free steak dinners to ....

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2m Former Lions safety Louis Delmas is visiting the Steelers today, per league source.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: FA In for a Visit

Well they must plan on freeing up some cash from somewhere.

I imagine we will be starting a companion thread of "Overpaid Veterans the Steelers Cut" soon enough.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Well they must plan on freeing up some cash from somewhere.

I imagine we will be starting a companion thread of "Overpaid Veterans the Steelers Cut" soon enough.
    or a new contract for Ben moving money to the backend of a new deal and signing bonus with 2014 salary being LOW LOW LOW ?

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

On Sunday October 6, 2013, Lion's Center Dominic Raiola was involved in an incident of trash-talking and hate-speech to members of the UW-Wisconsin marching band. Louis Delmas is credited with both apologizing for his teammate's actions and having a word with Raiola off the field.
    As a band director myself, I say sign him!

In all seriousness though, he sounds like a high quality guy. Why was he released from the Lions? Injury concerns?
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by msafford View Post
    As a band director myself, I say sign him!

In all seriousness though, he sounds like a high quality guy. Why was he released from the Lions? Injury concerns?
    looks like a combination of bad knees and 6.5 million in salary .... link to story below be your own judge

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...ense-for-lions

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    looks like a combination of bad knees and 6.5 million in salary .... link to story below be your own judge

Sounds like you're right. Damn....
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

sounds like a potential starter, or an expensive back up. i hope this isnt a vote of no confidence for shamarko
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    sounds like a potential starter, or an expensive back up. i hope this isnt a vote of no confidence for shamarko
    I think its probably just another sign that Clark is gone and they are looking for the best DB corp that they can get within a certain price range. If they can land Delmas, it "possibly" allows us another year to season Shamarko (which is optimal) and we wont have to draft a safety this year. If not, they will start Shamarko and use Allen and a draft prospect as backups.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Dwinsgames

like the player , fear the knees ....

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Looks to me like a guy who is going to have to sign a cheap one-year or two-year deal somewhere to prove himself again, which works in our favor. And his description sounds a little like Ryan Clark five years ago.

Question is, where would he fit on our roster? I don't think a guy in that position would want a backup job if there was anything else available, so my guess is he'd be a 1-for-1 replacement for Clark at about the same salary, and Sharko would stay on as the top backup/eventual Troy successor. That's realistically the only way it could work.

Who knows, though. Maybe we do get lucky this offseason and find a Clark-type signing, whether it's this guy or someone else. At the very least, it would be really nice to not have to worry about drafting a safety for a couple years while we replenish other positions.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Heinz Hitman is on a distinguished road"> Heinz Hitman's Avatar

I would be all for this signing. He would play alongside Troy with Sharknado being Troy's eventual replacement. In Detroit he kind of played both FS and SS, so should be good to do either.
    “I don’t want to see anyone injured, but I’m not opposed to hurting anyone. There’s a difference. When you’re injured, you can’t play. But when you’re hurt, you can shake it off and come back. I try to hurt people.” – James Harrison

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

FA visits like this one give me the sense that they know what they're doing.

But then I remember Sean Mahan.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    FA visits like this one give me the sense that they know what they're doing.

But then I remember Sean Mahan.
    Jay Reimersma ( sp )

Wolford ..
    and may many more forgotten nightmares

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Looks too expensive for a guy with injury issues. Rather save that money to re-sign Worilds

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Looks too expensive for a guy with injury issues. Rather save that money to re-sign Worilds
    I seriously doubt he'll actually get anywhere near the $6.5M he was on the books for. More like a $1.5M prove-it deal with incentives and/or an option for a second year. Might be right in our price range if that's the case.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/s...51105020612608

Former Lions S Louis Delmas will be lining up more visits after the combine. Atlanta and Denver among the interested teams

ESPN.com's Ben Goessling believes the Vikings could show interest in free agent Louis Delmas.
    Delmas would need to convert to strong safety, but could be a fit for the Vikings if they decide to upgrade on Jamarca Sanford.

id say he's a goner...i would be unsure about delmas as a potential safety of the future anyways.
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Dwinsgames

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/s...51105020612608

Former Lions S Louis Delmas will be lining up more visits after the combine. Atlanta and Denver among the interested teams

ESPN.com's Ben Goessling believes the Vikings could show interest in free agent Louis Delmas.
    Delmas would need to convert to strong safety, but could be a fit for the Vikings if they decide to upgrade on Jamarca Sanford.

id say he's a goner...i would be unsure about delmas as a potential safety of the future anyways
    the red bold

well, now that i read up on him it looks like he was a 2x pro bowl alternate, so that gave me a little excitement about his abilities. still, i have to wonder what this says about shamarko even if he's only going into his 2nd season

seems like a good vocal leader that the team sorely needs. too bad other teams need him more

Dwinsgames

well, now that i read up on him it looks like he was a 2x pro bowl alternate, so that gave me a little excitement about his abilities. still, i have to wonder what this says about shamarko even if he's only going into his 2nd season
    I have zero worries about his ability as a player , I have every concern about his ability to be available to play in extended capacity and learn the system .... he can play no question about it ...

his biggest issue in Detroit ( minus the 6.5 million cap hit ) was he was borderline injured all the time with his knee , he could not practice most of the week ( Troy like for a few years ) difference being Troy knew the system and had cohesion with his team mates Delmas does not have that here with us ....

in order to obtain continuity he would have to practice and that would further expose his already bad knee ( a problem dating back to college )

so him not signing quickly here is probably a good thing as him going to make rounds probably secures him a job elsewhere and we can get a healthy body via the draft or another cast off with talent

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

last year he played all 16 games i really wanted the steelers to draft him 5 years ago. i think this would be another great FA signing and the team could put off drafting a safety this year Troy is at the end of his career

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    last year he played all 16 games i really wanted the steelers to draft him 5 years ago. i think this would be another great FA signing and the team could put off drafting a safety this year Troy is at the end of his career

he played all 16 games but rarely practiced ...

that would be an big issue in a new system and new surrounding cast that he has no continuity with IMO

Unlike Nate Burleson, who was also released Thursday as a cap cut, Delmas was done in by his injury history. While Delmas, who like Burleson was a loud presence in the huddle and in pregame, played all 16 games this season, he could barely practice during the week.

Louis Delmas leaves big shoes to fill in Detroit's defense as far as leadership is concerned.

And there were little guarantee his knees would be able to hold up in the long term, even as he took care of them well during the 2013 season.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

His knees scare me...the last thing this team needs is another injury-prone guy. Plus I'm sure other teams will offer him more than we can afford.

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

I had a feeling we might take a look at him, but unless he comes REALLY cheap I don't see how he'd get on the roster. He could be a good stop-gap replacement for Clark. But I don't think we want or need that.

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

He is an injury risk but if you can get him for the right price he is worth the chance. When healthy he is an upgrade over Clark. As far as shamarko goes the jury is still out on him, I keep hearing he will replace Troy but he hasn't shown a lot.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    He is an injury risk but if you can get him for the right price he is worth the chance. When healthy he is an upgrade over Clark. As far as shamarko goes the jury is still out on him, I keep hearing he will replace Troy but he hasn't shown a lot.
    honestly my eyes tell me Shamarko is better suited to replace Clark than Troy but that's just me , he is more of an open field hitter than a extra man in the box kind of player at this level IMO but I am not a Steelers coach so he will be whatever they make him be for better or worse

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I rather have Shamrko starting for the Steelers next year than Louis "glass knees" Delmas. Let's see what our 2nd year guys can do and allow them to grow, don't just discard them after one year of playing very little when the coaching staff won't play rookies

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I rather have Shamrko starting for the Steelers next year than Louis "glass knees" Delmas. Let's see what our 2nd year guys can do and allow them to grow, don't just discard them after one year of playing very little when the coaching staff won't play rookies
    I dont think signing a FA is equal with "discarding" a player. The reality is that we are going to need TWO new starting safeties in the very near future and the FO may very well be thinking ahead to a tandem of safeties involving Shamarko and a Free Agent.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/03...-the-dolphins/

signed with the dolphins. 1 year worth up to $3.5 million

Dwinsgames

Gerry Dulac ‏@gerrydulac 2m San Diego Chargers NT/DE Cam Thomas will visit #Steelers on Friday too. His nickname is "Baby Zilla." He's 6-3, 330.

HERE WE GO Array title="Randy06 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Randy06's Avatar

Cam Thomas? YES PLEASE
    "We're going to win the whole fucking thing" - Greg Lloyd