Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: FA In for a Visit

Dwinsgames

Re: FA In for a Visit

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Holy crap!!! He runs a forty in the 4.3 range...and is a better cover man than Gay.

Makes me wonder if we shouldnt be looking at 2nd day "project" CB's.

Pierre Desir? Stanley Jean-Baptiste? Jaylen Watkins?
    McGill

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

I was looking at some numbers, trying to justify Darrius-Heyward Bey's visit.

I can't do it. The question mark on him five years ago at the draft was his hands, and that he was going to take probably 3 years to develop into a starter.

He's now played five seasons and while he can look good in flashes... hands are still the issue. He did have a series of terrible QBs and even terrible offenses to work with out of Oakland but at some point he had to stand up and be part of the solution, which he didn't manage to do. The Colts thought maybe a change of scenery would do him good but they wound up benching him... for his hands. 60 targets, 29 receptions, 9 drops last year.

The silver lining is that he never once was a malcontent. He owned up to his issues, spent tons of time on the jugs machine, volunteered to play tons of special teams... but if the jugs machine was going to solve his hands problem, he's had five years to make that happen. While he's intriguing as depth/backup, maybe a guy who has something to offer when we go 4-wide, etc... even if you think our stable environment will do him some good, you want to what, start developing a 27 year old? That's not "old" but...

Yeah, might as well grab a rookie for that.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    I was looking at some numbers, trying to justify Darrius-Heyward Bey's visit.

I can't do it. The question mark on him five years ago at the draft was his hands, and that he was going to take probably 3 years to develop into a starter.

He's now played five seasons and while he can look good in flashes... hands are still the issue. He did have a series of terrible QBs and even terrible offenses to work with out of Oakland but at some point he had to stand up and be part of the solution, which he didn't manage to do. The Colts thought maybe a change of scenery would do him good but they wound up benching him... for his hands. 60 targets, 29 receptions, 9 drops last year.

The silver lining is that he never once was a malcontent. He owned up to his issues, spent tons of time on the jugs machine, volunteered to play tons of special teams... but if the jugs machine was going to solve his hands problem, he's had five years to make that happen. While he's intriguing as depth/backup, maybe a guy who has something to offer when we go 4-wide, etc... even if you think our stable environment will do him some good, you want to what, start developing a 27 year old? That's not "old" but...

Yeah, might as well grab a rookie for that.
    All I can figure is that assuming he signs for next to no money, it allows Colbert to hit the draft with a "full" depth chart. Now we can argue that the depth chart is paper thin and has multiple spots that are more than a bit light on talent, but Colbert has demonstrated a consistent trend for entering the draft with no need to draft a "must start" rookie.

Not saying I agree with it, but there it is.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

We don't have the cap room and Heyward-Bey is HORRIBLE. I wish that was an April Fools day joke

Dwinsgames

Steelers have signed 6 street free agents -- Mitchell, Blount, Thomas, Moore, Moats, McCain -- for less than $8M guaranteed money.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

The question is ... how street are they?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    The question is ... how street are they?

it is my belief we got 4 players . potentially 5 ....

1 Pedestrian

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Bouchette has a "gut feeling" that Heyward-Bey will be a Steeler:

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/...-be-a-steeler/

Having him on the roster will remind me a lot of having Dwight Stone.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    Bouchette has a "gut feeling" that Heyward-Bey will be a Steeler:

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/...-be-a-steeler/

Having him on the roster will remind me a lot of having Dwight Stone.
    Blast from the past there. Dwight stone hands. He made a career about being fast an
    d not being able to catch.

Senior Member Array title="blackngldblood has a spectacular aura about"> blackngldblood's Avatar

I mean, I know these guys aren't exactly caviar, but compared to passed years of FA? I'll take it! I'm sweating for some draft action now, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Welcome back Darius Heyward Sweed!!
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackngldblood View Post
    I mean, I know these guys aren't exactly caviar, but compared to passed years of FA? I'll take it! I'm sweating for some draft action now, lol!
    We signed a lot of low-risk, high-reward guys, although I think we overpaid for Cam Thomas. If half of them work out, we'll have a better football team.

You weren't going to be able to find surefire proven replacements on the budget we had - Mitchell being the one exception - but this was probably the best and boldest direction we could've gone with what we had to work with. Not your "typical Steelers" free agency moves, but I like it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

My offseason scoreboard to date.

Huge upgrade at RB and safety. Slight upgrade at ILB. Then you got Pouncey coming back, and despite what the morons at Pro football focus claim, that's a huge upgrade to the offensive line.

I'd say we have a slight loss at wr. But Wheaton could pick up the slack there.

Cornerback remains the same. Except in my opinion Cortez allen came on late, and if he goes into this season healthy that could be a position that improves.

DL is a major issue. If they resign Keisel though there will be no slippage here.

Overall I'd say the team has improved slightly. Be interesting to see what they add in the draft.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    My offseason scoreboard to date.

Huge upgrade at RB and safety. Slight upgrade at ILB. Then you got Pouncey coming back, and despite what the morons at Pro football focus claim, that's a huge upgrade to the offensive line.

I'd say we have a slight loss at wr. But Wheaton could pick up the slack there.

Cornerback remains the same. Except in my opinion Cortez allen came on late, and if he goes into this season healthy that could be a position that improves.

DL is a major issue. If they resign Keisel though there will be no slippage here.

Overall I'd say the team has improved slightly. Be interesting to see what they add in the draft.
    I would add, Roethlisberger went into the off season healthy and he will be ready to go with another season under Haley. Munchak is a huge upgrade as O Line coach and the O Line should be solid to impressive this year. Pouncey will be healthy, DeCastro should be clear of guilt and Adams may finally click. Beachum will only get better. Will also be nice if Bell can start the year healthy.

The biggest question mark will be if the offensive team can stay healthy and on the field. My biggest concerns remain on the defensive side of the ball.

Good stuff. As much as I loved Cotch, I have a feeling that Cotch - Moore is going to be a push, if not a slight improvement for us... but there's no denying that going from Sanders to DHB, as much as we complained about Sanders, kind of blows. If we add the quality WR in the draft that we're all expecting, and Wheaton breaks out? That combined with just the improvements to the OL and protection to Ben and having Heath (hopefully) healthy all year, could make this turn into a rather nice season for receiving.

The only thing I want to add is that we shouldn't forget about another quality upgrade I feel we've made: our new RB coach James Saxon. I didn't hate Kirby or anything but he was no Hoak, and with him deciding to depart I feel we've got a big improvement in James Saxon. He was a decent RB in his own right, and coached Adrian Peterson, Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams, Larry Johnson, Tony Richardson, Priest Holmes... excited to see what he can do for Bell.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

The injury bug has been our biggest foe the last couple of seasons. I swear that damn thing lives in Pittsburgh.