Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Superbowl XLVIII Broncos vs Seahawks

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Superbowl XLVIII Broncos vs Seahawks

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAsteeler View Post
    We don't hate the team, we hate the fans. I think we've all made that pretty clear.
    Exactly.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Exactly. If anyone thinks this is going to stop the incessant whining, crying and bitching of those blubbering emo manginas, they need to think again.
    Yeah... they're definitely out in full force. I should've known better.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    lmfao, this game was a DREAM COME TRUE. Peyton continues to remind people that he is a choking freak of nature and my fellow Badger alumni russell wilson is on his way to establishing his legacy. great player, even better kid. for those who hate the seahawks because of the '06 superbowl, read all the story about this guy. he's just hard to hate
    Wilson is from Richmond, VA, and he represented the state very well.
    Percy grew up probably 10 minutes from my house.

Their whiny fanbase and their previous coach, Walrus 1.0, are a different story.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I also prefer the new Pete Carroll over Jim Harbaugh as SB winner. Can you imagine the attitude if the brothers won back-to-back?
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

I think if the Seahawks can hold things together that they CAN be a dynasty. No reason why not, if they have an elite defense, good special teams and a capable offense / running game. Isn't that pretty much the same formula the Steelers used in the 70s?

Manning is the reason why I think QBs like Joe Montana are the best in the game. Manning is good "when everything is working perfectly", but because he depends so much on timing etc, once you throw him off his game, he is done. Same thing the Steelers did to him in '05.

Seahawks deserve this win. I'm just glad they did it with defense, which goes to show you that "offense wins game, defense wins championships".
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    I also prefer the new Pete Carroll over Jim Harbaugh as SB winner. Can you imagine the attitude if the brothers won back-to-back?

Pete Carroll the 9-11 truther, over Jim Harbaugh, the guy who spends his vacation every year doing missionary work in a 3rd world nation? No thanks. Carroll might be a good coach but he's a piece of shit in my book.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.nationalreview.com/right-...greg-pollowitz

The sit-down between Chiarelli and Carroll started off normally enough. They talked about the team, and then about head trauma. Chiarelli, who commanded the American forces in Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom II, talked about the brain injuries he had seen there. But Chiarelli’s mention of Iraq sent Carroll in another direction: He wanted to know if the September 11 attacks had been planned or faked by the United States government.

In particular, Carroll wanted to know whether the attack on the Pentagon had really happened. Chiarelli—who was the top-ranking Army official inside the Pentagon when American Airlines Flight 77 crashed into its western side—explained that it had. He said he had lost many colleagues. But Carroll didn’t stop there. He ran through the whole 9/11 truther litany.

“Every 9/11 conspiracy theory you can think of, Pete asked about,” said Riki Ellison, the former NFL linebacker who now runs the Missile Defense Advocacy Alliance and introduced Carroll to Chiarelli.

So did the discussion last year turn hostile? A source close to Chiarelli, one who wasn't present when he spoke to Carroll, told us that it did. He said the general had to leave the room because Carroll had rankled him so thoroughly. Ellison told us that that wasn't true, that the discussion had remained friendly and "fun" throughout. A spokesman for Chiarelli at his foundation, One Mind for Research, did not respond to repeated phone and email requests.
    - - - Updated - - -

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...9355/index.htm

THE HERO of whom Jim Harbaugh speaks this afternoon is not a coach nor a general nor a statesman. It is not Winston Churchill, whose framed picture hangs behind his desk, or the San Francisco Batkid, the subject of his props earlier in the week. Harbaugh is talking about Father Joseph Uhen, a rangy and relentlessly upbeat Notre Dame graduate who has spent the last 20 years as pastor of the parish of Santisimo Sacramento in the northern Peruvian city of Piura. There, in outlying villages without sewers or running water, Uhen has built 28 chapels, and he ministers to some 40,000 faithful.

"He's an amazing, holy person," says Harbaugh, a devout Catholic who for the last five years has traveled to Piura in the off-season. Harbaugh typically spends a week (a veritable sabbatical by NFL coach standards) doing the mission's work—delivering food to the needy, helping out at an orphanage or building bamboo houses.

Padre José, as Uhen is known by his flock, has seen Harbaugh literally give villagers the shirt (and hoodie) off his back. He has a picture of the coach walking out of a prison in his stocking feet; Harbaugh had befriended an inmate and given the man his shoes. Uhen recalls delivering food to a house where another old man lay on the dirt floor, near death. Harbaugh gently picked him up and carried him to a car. The man's name was Maximo. They took Maximo to a hospice, where he died. A year later.

Harbaugh and Padre José were once working in a field with an agricultural expert, a Peruvian who, like Uhen, had spent time at Notre Dame and was vocal about his allegiance to the Irish. After a while the fellow asked Harbaugh if he, too, were a Notre Dame fan.

"Actually," replied Harbaugh, who as Michigan's starting quarterback in the mid-'80s went 2--0 against the Irish, "I'm in the Notre- Dame-ass-kicking business."

Every year Harbaugh is startled anew by the abject poverty in Piura. Every year he is inspired anew—"transformed," he says—by the joy and generosity of the locals, in the face of that poverty. "Something I learned down there," he says. "They believe it's a sin to give in to discouragement, to give up hope."

I do like Russell Wilson though. But not enough to offset that douchebag of a coach they got.
    I'm officially adopting the 49'ers as my NFC team next year. Hopefully they can knock the Seahags off their fucking perch.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Pete Carroll the 9-11 truther, over Jim Harbaugh, the guy who spends his vacation every year doing missionary work in a 3rd world nation? No thanks. Carroll might be a good coach but he's a piece of shit in my book.
    Not to mention the train wreck Carroll left in his wake at USC...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    I think if the Seahawks can hold things together that they CAN be a dynasty. No reason why not, if they have an elite defense, good special teams and a capable offense / running game. Isn't that pretty much the same formula the Steelers used in the 70s?
    There are millions of reasons why not. Right now they are getting an unbelievable bargain on several guys on their rookie contracts, including 3/4 of their secondary, and that's about to come to an end. Sherman, Thomas and Maxwell will all be wanting to get ♬♬ PAAAIIIIIYED ♬♬ - not to mention Wilson in a couple years, so that right there is half a salary cap. They've got a couple smaller pieces like Golden Tate and their best pass rusher whose deals are also up. Lynch and Harvin are already filling two of the huge-contract slots, so something's gotta give. Maybe not next year, but definitely in two seasons. Most likely scenario is, as soon as Wilson gets paid market value, there goes the defense, unless they draft incredibly well.

Manning is the reason why I think QBs like Joe Montana are the best in the game. Manning is good "when everything is working perfectly", but because he depends so much on timing etc, once you throw him off his game, he is done. Same thing the Steelers did to him in '05.
    That's a good point. You heard people saying things last night like, "Even Joe Montana couldn't have scored on this defense," which IMO is a bunch of bull. That guy routinely went up against defenses like the '85 Bears (which was the same guys for a few years on either side) and the '80s Giants, and shredded them as often as not, including playoffs.

You have to be able to beat that level of competition if you want to win the Super Bowl, and Manning usually isn't. There's a proven formula for shutting him down if you have the talent on defense to do so. Unfortunately, besides the pressure, it involves having at least three really good DBs who tackle well, so that the 3-yard dink-and-dunks don't become 12- and 18-yard catch-and-runs. Most teams aren't able to field a defense like that today because good DBs are too expensive. But get to the payoffs, and sooner or later you run into some team that's close enough, which explains his miserable postseason record. Although it's not immediately obvious, Manning may have benefited more from the salary cap than any player in NFL history.

One other thing I started to hear more and more of as the week went on: people comparing Seattle to the '85 Bears. Please - stopjuststop. I am old enough to remember the '85 Bears, and it is not even close. This may be the nearest approximation of the '85 Bears that you could put together today, but suggesting that it is even remotely the same thing only proves that you are either way too overzealous now, or have a terrible memory.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    There are millions of reasons why not. Right now they are getting an unbelievable bargain on several guys on their rookie contracts, including 3/4 of their secondary, and that's about to come to an end. Sherman, Thomas and Maxwell will all be wanting to get ♬♬ PAAAIIIIIYED ♬♬ - not to mention Wilson in a couple years, so that right there is half a salary cap. They've got a couple smaller pieces like Golden Tate and their best pass rusher whose deals are also up. Lynch and Harvin are already filling two of the huge-contract slots, so something's gotta give. Maybe not next year, but definitely in two seasons. Most likely scenario is, as soon as Wilson gets paid market value, there goes the defense, unless they draft incredibly well.

That's a good point. You heard people saying things last night like, "Even Joe Montana couldn't have scored on this defense," which IMO is a bunch of bull. That guy routinely went up against defenses like the '85 Bears (which was the same guys for a few years on either side) and the '80s Giants, and shredded them as often as not, including playoffs.

You have to be able to beat that level of competition if you want to win the Super Bowl, and Manning usually isn't. There's a proven formula for shutting him down if you have the talent on defense to do so. Unfortunately, besides the pressure, it involves having at least three really good DBs who tackle well, so that the 3-yard dink-and-dunks don't become 12- and 18-yard catch-and-runs. Most teams aren't able to field a defense like that today because good DBs are too expensive. But get to the payoffs, and sooner or later you run into some team that's close enough, which explains his miserable postseason record. Although it's not immediately obvious, Manning may have benefited more from the salary cap than any player in NFL history.

One other thing I started to hear more and more of as the week went on: people comparing Seattle to the '85 Bears. Please - stopjuststop. I am old enough to remember the '85 Bears, and it is not even close. This may be the nearest approximation of the '85 Bears that you could put together today, but suggesting that it is even remotely the same thing only proves that you are either way too overzealous now, or have a terrible memory.
    That's funny, you bolded the dynasty part but not the "if they can hold it together" part.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    A loss like this is haunting.

In a way, I feel bad for Bronco fans for waiting all week in anticipation and you get THIS. The game was over from the first snap of the game, and it was never competitive. That's absolutely horrible.

I don't care if you make the Super Bowl. If you have your team THAT Ill-prepared and put up a stinker LIKE THAT, that should cost a job of some kind.

Super Bowl 48 is without a doubt the absolute WORST Super Bowl I have witnessed in my life. I actually shut off the game at one point.

- - - Updated - - -

The 2013 Broncos should go in the same bed of the 1983 Redskins. A Passing Mention and nothing more.

No one will care how many points they put up. What everyone is going to remember is the debacle that ended their season. Even the 2007 Patriots were close against the Giants even though they lost.

This game was ALL OVER from THE FIRST SNAP OF THE GAME. You can't excuse that.

John Fox is a terrible coach and deserves to be fired.
    Their biggest game ever and he couldn't coach them up any better than that? Kinda proves for me what I have thought for 2 years, Fox is riding Mannings coattails
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

That's funny, you bolded the dynasty part but not the "if they can hold it together" part.
    OK, now it's bolded. The point is still the same.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

If they can keep it together is the key sentence. The problem is after a superbowl the team very rarely holds it together. If Pittsburgh held their team together, and players didn't age ever, we would be dynasty year in and year out but that just doesn't happen.

I just think it's a little premature to even speak of a dynasty after the franchises first ever SB. Let's see how they do next year first.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Flavor of the week. Let's forget that Kaepernick was one bad throw away from beating them two weeks ago in their own back yard, and he ain't nowhere near being an elite QB.

I also remember more than a few predicting a new Packers "dynasty" after they beat us 3 years ago, and, well, we all see what happened there...

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    Poll on NFL.com: "Will Sea Squawks be a dynasty?"

48% say yes so far. Squawk fans are on nfl.com in full force tonight apparently..
    We heard the same thing about Green Bay after Super Bowl XLV and Rodger's incredible postseason stretch.

Seattle will be competitive, but dynasty? No. The NFC is much too strong to let that happen.

Dynasties occur when there is 1-3 good teams in a conference, then mediocrity everywhere else. The 70's Steelers only had to overcome the Raiders, Oilers, and maybe the Dolphins. The 80's Niners had the Redskins and Giants. The 90's Cowboys only had the 49ers as real competition, and the 00's Patriots only had the Colts and Steelers.

Considering all of the competitive teams in the NFC right now, proclaiming a Seattle Dynasty especially after division rival San Francisco gave them a hard time is premature.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Ask the Rat birds, Giant 's Packers and Saints about dynasties and getting back to the Super Bowl the next year

Sent from a Galaxy Note 2

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    We heard the same thing about Green Bay after Super Bowl XLV and Rodger's incredible postseason stretch.

Seattle will be competitive, but dynasty? No. The NFC is much too strong to let that happen.

Dynasties occur when there is 1-3 good teams in a conference, then mediocrity everywhere else. The 70's Steelers only had to overcome the Raiders, Oilers, and maybe the Dolphins. The 80's Niners had the Redskins and Giants. The 90's Cowboys only had the 49ers as real competition, and the 00's Patriots only had the Colts and Steelers.

Considering all of the competitive teams in the NFC right now, proclaiming a Seattle Dynasty especially after division rival San Francisco gave them a hard time is premature.
    I don't think that's true at all. First of all, it's going to be rare for more than 3 or 4 teams in a conference to be super-good anyway, just because there are only so many franchises around. You're not going to have a third of the conference go 12-4 on a regular basis, I don't care what anyone says.

Second, if you're going to consider the 49ers a dynasty, you have to remember that more than half the time, they didn't even make the Super Bowl at all. I'd argue there were five or six good teams in the conference then; you left off the Bears, Rams and Vikings. That shows it's possible to do with a lot of other good teams around, but that's also why it took the 49ers more than a decade.

These days, it seems like the standard M.O. for having a "dynasty" is to win three championships in a very short amount of time, like 4 or 5 years, which is all you get before you can't keep the team together anymore because of money. You also have to be very lucky, both with injuries and getting breaks on the field. Seattle probably has two more years in which it will be good enough to keep contending, maybe three, and then either they'll lose the core of their defense, or they'll have major holes elsewhere because of the big contracts they had to give out. The Wilson contract will be the beginning of the trip to Tier 2 for the Seahawks, just like the Kaepernick contract will probably be the start of the trip to Tier 2 for the 49ers. At any rate, it's possible they could win another one, but to win two of the next three - that would take an amount of luck that is rarely seen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Ask the Rat birds, Giant 's Packers and Saints about dynasties and getting back to the Super Bowl the next year

Hell, ask the Steelers about that too.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

85 Bears had more sacks and 76 Steelers more shut outs, but the Seahawks DBs are really, really good. Hopefully we will not ever hear again about Manning being the best QB ever. It was making me nauseous only eclipsed by brady ball washing.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    Funny thing is, most real Seattle fans could tell you every QB in their history. It's really not that difficult when you think about it. Zorn, Kreig, Warren Moon, Rick Mirer, Kitna, Hasselbeck, and Wallace. Then, there were 2nd stringers like Stan Gelbaugh, Kelly Stouffer, Dan McGwire, and Seneca Wallace that filled in for a few games (had to go back and check on the second stringers).

Growing up in the Northwest, I've seen firsthand how strong the Seahawk fans supported their team. 85 consecutive sell outs since 2003. Heck, the first-ever probowl sellout happened in Seattle in 1977. As for the whole 12th man thing, it's nothing new in Seattle. In fact, the jersey number 12 is retired in Seattle due to the "12th man." That happened in 1984, and the 1989 rule change was pretty much directed straight at Seattle fans.

They're whiners concerning SB 40, no doubt about it. But one thing they're not, is Johnny-Come-Lately's to this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Funny thing is, most real Seattle fans could tell you every QB in their history.
    Google is a wonderful thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Growing up in the Northwest, I've seen firsthand how strong the Seahawk fans supported their team. 85 consecutive sell outs since 2003. Heck, the first-ever probowl sellout happened in Seattle in 1977. As for the whole 12th man thing, it's nothing new in Seattle. In fact, the jersey number 12 is retired in Seattle due to the "12th man." That happened in 1984, and the 1989 rule change was pretty much directed straight at Seattle fans.

They're whiners concerning SB 40, no doubt about it. But one thing they're not, is Johnny-Come-Lately's to this team.

Jesus Christ, the 12th man bullshit. They can't even get their own traditions; they have to rip them off from someone else. It was a WELL-KNOWN thing in college football from Texas A&M, like 50 years before the Seahawks were even a thing. Seattle has to pay licensing fees to Texas A&M in order to use it in their own stadium. I couldn't participate in something like that without feeling a complete tool. But Seahawks fans go around acting like they invented it, and I bet if you asked a random sampling of them, like 90% of them probably actually believe they did, which is sad.

I really have no particular attachment to Texas A&M, by the way, but I did think this shirt they put out a few days ago was pretty funny:

See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="XxKnightxX has a spectacular aura about"> XxKnightxX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    not sure what is worse being whipped , or heartbroken like our last SB game , where we are headed in for the go ahead TD and Mendy coughs up the ball and we get beaten

both suck no doubt but I am still not over that game totally ( esp since my brother in law is a die hard Packer fan and always brings up watching that SB DvD he has when we go to visit )
    Id rather have lost like that than the absolute manhandling the Broncos got. We dug ourselves into a big hole early in the game. We werent favored either to begin with, and we were a couple of plays of derailing what was an unstoppable Aaron Rodgers and Packers squad. I have gotten over the loss, because if you look how our teams have performed lately, it leaves a relief in my mind that there are others who would kill to just get into the big game.

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Jesus Christ, the 12th man bullshit. They can't even get their own traditions; they have to rip them off from someone else.
    They steal all their traditions from college football.

12th Man - A&M
    Earthquakes - LSU

They even stole couch burning from West Virginia after the game last night.

Next they'll start toilet papering the trees outside the stadium, plant hedges on the sidelines, and wear houndstooth hats.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg