Thread: Donnie Shell HoF snub

Dwinsgames

Donnie Shell HoF snub

Donnie Shell (born August 26, 1952 in Whitmire, South Carolina) is a former American Football strong safety for the Pittsburgh Steelers in the National Football League between 1974 and 1987. Shell was a member of the Steelers famed Steel Curtain defense in the 1970s.
    Shell retired as the NFL strong safety career leader in interceptions with 51. He started eleven straight years for the Steelers and was selected to the Steelers All-Time Team, the College Football Hall of Fame, and to the NFL Silver Anniversary Super Bowl Team.

Shell was a five time Pro Bowler between 1978 and 1982, a 4 time All-Pro selection, and was the Steelers team MVP in 1980. He saved several possible six points in Super Bowl XIII and Super Bowl XIV. He had been in the top fifteen in balloting for the Pro Football Hall of Fame once before, in 2002 but with no success.[2]
    Shell resides in Rock Hill, South Carolina and was the Carolina Panthers Director of Player Development from 1994 to 2009.[3]
    With the lone exception of former Steelers safety Mike Logan, who grew up in McKeesport, Pennsylvania just outside of Pittsburgh, Shell's number 31 has not been reissued by the team.
    He played in 201 games for the Steelers, second only to Hall of Fame Center Mike Webster (who played in 220)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donnie_Shell

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...S/ShelDo00.htm

not bad for an undrafted free agent from a year they had 17 rounds in the draft and he wasn't picked in any of them

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Donnie Shell HoF snub

Reminds me of Timmons who quietly, but effectively goes about his business.
    All Defense!

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

I have said for years that shell is the biggest snub of any of the former Steelers -even more so that LC.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Shell certainly deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. But you don't have to diminish L.C.Greenwood in order to make the case. In all four Super Bowls Greenwood played in he was matched up against a future HOF'er at right tackle, and absolutely abused them. ( Ron Yary SB9, Rayfield Wright 10 & 13, Jackie Slater 14) Funny how back then many teams put their best OT on the right side. Guess that's because it was a running game back then and teams looked to stack their strong side.

Another guy who never gets mentioned but deserves consideration in my opinion is Jon Kolb. Kolb was a rock and also dominated multiple HOF'ers throughout his career. Equally strong as a pass protector and run blocker. He was overlooked back in the day, and still is today.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I still say these snubs are based on cowboy byes. Every time they even think about a Steeler in the HOF, the cows start screaming. " Why don't we have more in the hall." This is fact guys, I heard it for the 30 years I lived there. Charlie Waters was the worst of the bunch. They SHOULD change their names to, the cryboys.

AML

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I still say these snubs are based on cowboy byes. Every time they even think about a Steeler in the HOF, the cows start screaming. " Why don't we have more in the hall." This is fact guys, I heard it for the 30 years I lived there. Charlie Waters was the worst of the bunch. They SHOULD change their names to, the cryboys.
    maybe because they couldn't beat the Steelers when it mattered ? just a thought LOL

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

LC also missed a lot of credit for some his his tackles because the announcers back in the day automatically said Joe Greene on the tackle. That's why he had the equipment manager paint his shoes gold. Today he would receive a $ fine.
    All Defense!

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    LC also missed a lot of credit for some his his tackles because the announcers back in the day automatically said Joe Greene on the tackle. That's why he had the equipment manager paint his shoes gold. Today he would receive a $ fine.
    He did back then as well. Well not him, but Nike.

Nike the maker of the shoes, paid a $100 fine every time he wore them in a game.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2sBxNnT8S

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Shell certainly deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. But you don't have to diminish L.C.Greenwood in order to make the case. In all four Super Bowls Greenwood played in he was matched up against a future HOF'er at right tackle, and absolutely abused them. ( Ron Yary SB9, Rayfield Wright 10 & 13, Jackie Slater 14) Funny how back then many teams put their best OT on the right side. Guess that's because it was a running game back then and teams looked to stack their strong side.

Another guy who never gets mentioned but deserves consideration in my opinion is Jon Kolb. Kolb was a rock and also dominated multiple HOF'ers throughout his career. Equally strong as a pass protector and run blocker. He was overlooked back in the day, and still is today.

I wasn't diminishing LC - he is deserving as well. I was just pointing out that LC is usually the first name mentioned by Steelers' fans when the discussion of deserving hof'ers, from those 70's teams, come up. And that I think Shell has the strongest case of all. In part, because of his longevity. Also, he never got enough credit for for what he added (along with the rest of the secondary) to the Steelers run support. Just ask Earl Campbell. I will never forget that hit he put on Campbell in that playoff game. Cambell had been running all over the league, running through one gang tackle after another, Donnie took him down solo behind the line ( gave him a hip pointer, iirc). He knocked that "pinch between his cheek and gum" right down his throat and out the other side. One of my all-time favorite Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

People are just hesitant about inducting too many people from the same team in the same era, for whatever reason. You'd have a hard time convincing me that Montana and Rice were the only players from the 49ers' offense who deserved to be in the HOF, or that Ronnie Lott was the only one on defense. But there it is - the voters get franchise fatigue. If Shell puts up those numbers for any other team, or at any other place and time, and in the way he did it, he gets in no question. Of course, you wouldn't be talking about his contribution to so many Super Bowl teams, but in his case that actually works AGAINST him by being in other guys' shadow.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Waters and Cliff Harris always whine because Swann and Stallworth abused them in the Super Bowls. Even Bradshaw said they need to get over it because we kicked their asses twice.

Sent from a Galaxy Note 2

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Waters and Cliff Harris always whine because Swann and Stallworth abused them in the Super Bowls. Even Bradshaw said they need to get over it because we kicked their asses twice.
    T
    Sent from a Galaxy Note 2
    I can remember Lambert tossing Harris 5 yards after Harris got in Gerela face when he missed a FG. Dumb move by Harris. The game was not the same after that.

AML

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Any time you bring up Super Bowl 13 in front of a Cowboy fan they start crying about Jackie Smith's drop, as if that was the play that decided the game. Never mind they came away from that drive with a field goal, so it only cost them 4 points, not seven as the idiots would have you think, and never mind that the Steelers held a 3 score lead late in the 4th quarter and the close final score was a result of the Steelers going to a prevent defense.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I would like to see Hines, Jerome, L.C., Dwight, and Donnie make it in the HOF for the Steelers in the near future. I know Hines has a few more years to go because he just retired a couple of years ago, but the others mentioned should be in the HOF IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Any time you bring up Super Bowl 13 in front of a Cowboy fan they start crying about Jackie Smith's drop, as if that was the play that decided the game. Never mind they came away from that drive with a field goal, so it only cost them 4 points, not seven as the idiots would have you think, and never mind that the Steelers held a 3 score lead late in the 4th quarter and the close final score was a result of the Steelers going to a prevent defense.
    You know I saw that replay just the other day, and I thought to myself "Why did Staubach throw the ball so low???" If you look at the play Jackie was wide open no reason to throw the ball so low. If you get to see the replay let me know what you think.

Hell if cryboy fans want to play the what if game we should have had more points as well there was more than one missed field goal that game.

The crazy thing is...If Shell ever gets in, he would be the fifth member of the '74 class to reach the HOF. Though he was picked up as an undrafted free agent.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Junior Member Array title="BurgSteelerFan is an unknown quantity at this point">

I created a facebook page to promote Donnie Shell for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Can you guys please like the page at https://www.facebook.com/DonnieShellfortheHOF it would be gladly appreciated it. Shell should be in the Hall of Fame.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I think the problem is, there are a lot of guys who are not in the Hall that should be in, and given the Steelers of the 70s have 9 in already, Shell and Greenwood probably get kicked to the side. With Faneca coming up, they could be pushed to the side in the next few years, especially if he gets the axe for the first couple of years like I think he will and the Pittsburgh sports media campaigns hard for him

As for those crybaby cowgirls, screw them. They are just jealous the Steelers outplayed them in 2 Super Bowls

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Crygirls Cliff Harris and Charlie Waters bitch and moan all the time, especially that one documentary (BSPN?) on that game.

As Bradshaw said in the same documentary, "We kicked your ass twice" and didn't want to hear it.

Shell should be in there but dipshits like Peter King and others, think there are too many Steelers in the HOF from the 70s. Such a lame excuse.

I heard Waterboy talking about a particular TD play that Terry called. He said that he and Harris knew what the play was going to be, and had it played perfectly, but Bradshaw was so stupid that he called the wrong play, and both he and Harris was out of position. He was completely serious too.

Fact is, every time a Steelers from the 70s is inducted, you can hear the weeping and wailing coming from Dallas for miles.

AML

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I heard Waterboy talking about a particular TD play that Terry called. He said that he and Harris knew what the play was going to be, and had it played perfectly, but Bradshaw was so stupid that he called the wrong play, and both he and Harris was out of position. He was completely serious too.
    In other words, Bradshaw outsmarted them

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Fact is, every time a Steelers from the 70s is inducted, you can hear the weeping and wailing coming from Dallas for miles.
    Bradshaw was so dumb he beat them like a bass drum. To bad these smart asses were to stupid to figure him out. Harris should have learned to keep his jackass mouth shut after what Lambert did to him after he thought it would be funny to slap Gerela on the helmet when he missed a kick.

Member Array title="Pappy is on a distinguished road">

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Crygirls Cliff Harris and Charlie Waters bitch and moan all the time, especially that one documentary (BSPN?) on that game.

As Bradshaw said in the same documentary, "We kicked your ass twice" and didn't want to hear it.

Shell should be in there but dipshits like Peter King and others, think there are too many Steelers in the HOF from the 70s. Such a lame excuse.
    That's the big problem. Too many from the 70's teams are already in. Hate to say this because I'm a Hugh Steeler fan, but Kenny Stabler belongs in for sure and he's not there.