Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Mock Drafts.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Re: 2014 Mock Drafts.

You guys are getting me all geeked up for the draft! I find myself watching even more football because of it, much to my wife's dismay.
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    LOL...exactly!!!

Take a look at the Smallwood prospect....I think he is pretty exciting.
    I have watched some on him , still sifting through stuff will make a point to get some more time on him specifically ( maybe tonight ) since I without a doubt am NOT going anywhere lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I have watched some on him , still sifting through stuff will make a point to get some more time on him specifically ( maybe tonight ) since I without a doubt am NOT going anywhere lol
    Me either...Watching the Auburn/Florida State game and watching tape on players. It looks like WR Donte Moncrief, and RB James White are early favorites in this draft. I would be crazy happy to get them both
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Dwinsgames

watching this tape on Smallwood now , plays pretty well in space but is having a tough time in traffic from time to time will need to work on how to stay clean ( better hand usage ) , he almost plays like an over grown S to some degree ... I think he has some things to get excited about .... very assignment responsible you can see him peeking into the backfield but he doesn't bite or commit to it until it is clear his job is done in the middle of the field when dropping into coverage ( I like that a lot )

we have been hurt by only having Timmons as cover capable from our ILB's and this kid seemingly can help lessen that burden .. I like him

watching this tape on Smallwood now , plays pretty well in space but is having a tough time in traffic from time to time will need to work on how to stay clean ( better hand usage ) , he almost plays like an over grown S to some degree ... I think he has some things to get excited about .... very assignment responsible you can see him peeking into the backfield but he doesn't bite or commit to it until it is clear his job is done in the middle of the field when dropping into coverage ( I like that a lot )

we have been hurt by only having Timmons as cover capable from our ILB's and this kid seemingly can help lessen that burden .. I like him
    Yea...His cover skills are exciting. I like what I see in his ability to pursue but, as you say, we would have to coach him up on disengaging with linemen. His arsenal seems to be more predicated on speed change (using a "stop and go" or accelerating) then it is on power. Which is actual good...because its something that can be learned. An NFL weight program and good coaching could turn him into a phenomenal player.
    I like what you said about his looking like a safety...that is exactly what I meant about his having OLB skills. Very athletic and quicker than a lot of ILB's
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Dwinsgames

more impressive outing here where he did not have near as many issues staying clean IMO still some missed tackles but took great angles towards the ball and I was even more impressed with his coverage skills

more impressive outing here where he did not have near as many issues staying clean IMO still some missed tackles but took great angles towards the ball and I was even more impressed with his coverage skills

They have him listed as a 4.68 forty guy....not sure if that is correct. He is either faster than that or has very good quick twitch instincts.

-- Jack Lambert --

Dwinsgames

They have him listed as a 4.68 forty guy....not sure if that is correct. He is either faster than that or has very good quick twitch instincts.

I would bet he is faster than that , he definitely plays faster than that ... then again most players slow in pads and some do not making it a more level playing field speed wise , perhaps he is one of those guys the pads do not change him ....

I would bet he is faster than that , he definitely plays faster than that ... then again most players slow in pads and some do not making it a more level playing field speed wise , perhaps he is one of those guys the pads do not change him ....
    I would rather have a player like that in tandem with Timmons than a human missile with no coverage skills.

-- Jack Lambert --

Dwinsgames

I would rather have a player like that in tandem with Timmons than a human missile with no coverage skills.
    no question it opens up the def playbook a bit for Timmons as he would not have as much coverage responsibilities and the other team would be less certain on where or how to attack based on they would not know which guy was dropping or if both where etc ... with as many teams as we are seeing the last few years that can send multiple receiving TEs out in patterns you can never have enough coverage linebackers

no question it opens up the def playbook a bit for Timmons as he would not have as much coverage responsibilities and the other team would be less certain on where or how to attack based on they would not know which guy was dropping or if both where etc ... with as many teams as we are seeing the last few years that can send multiple receiving TEs out in patterns you can never have enough coverage linebackers
    Agreed...especially those who have good instincts and pursuit ability.

-- Jack Lambert --

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    What I am seeing so far, using Dwins, Aussies, LLTs, and my mock.

A CB as soon as possible.

An ILB as early as the opportunity matches the value.

A safety, same as ILB. keep an eye open for a falling CB convert.

Targets for Ben, A taller more physical WR, a TE that can catch and block. Hopefully both.

Line help on both sides of the ball. At least for depth.

Anxious to see more mocks to see if the trend hold up.
    My System for 2014

ON O side of ball
    1. WR early (probably first)
    2. RB - middle round, third down change of pace back
    3. No TE at all. They collect them via free agency
    4. O line - maybe a swing guy to replace Guy Whimper. He was a Bicknell man who is gone.

ON D side of ball
    1. This team is in base 3-4 less than 50% of the time. That rules out NT and places an emphasis on cover.
    2. Multiple CB's. One in the 2nd and one late.
    3. OLB depth is going to be bare. Need a project
    4. FS via free agency. Experience over youth
    5. Developmental cover ILB. Timmons & Foote in Base. Someone to compete with Sean Spence.
    6. Developmental DE.
    Last edited by Aussie_steeler; 01-07-2014 at 01:59 AM. Reason: typo

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

I see a lot of love for moncrief but I am not a fan. Anybody like Jordan Matthews?

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    I see a lot of love for moncrief but I am not a fan. Anybody like Jordan Matthews?
    I would like Matthews in the later rounds (4th-5th?) but not in the 2nd, which is were he is listed on most draft boards. Good body control, and pretty good route runner, but doesnt possess pro level quickness or straightline speed. Seems to understand the game at the level scouts will like but I have some questions in regard to his being able to translate his skills to the pros without the athleticism that you would want in a reciever.

-- Jack Lambert --

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Draft is closer and closer

1st. Mosley is gone, Evens is gone. I do think that Gilbert or Dennard will be there for us. BAP and a position of need.

Gilbert or Dennard. CB. Gilbert may have the better top end, Dennard will be ready to start quicker. I will be happy with either.

2nd. No secret that I am a Tuitt fan, but doubt he will be there. If he is I would take him. Right now our DE position is a little iffy. First day start? Don't know, but can see him working his way into the starting line up before the season is half over. The WR Moncrief double crossed us by showing more speed that most of us thought he had. If he shows this same speed at his pro-day he will likely move into the second round but the 14th pick may be a little early. This is a pick I would seriously like to get rid of, move into the later 2nd round and pick up another pick, maybe a late 3rd, but not counting on it.

Stephon Tuitt. DE. And crossing my fingers.

3rd Comp. There are few FS I like here. Bailey, Brooks, and Jean-Baptiste ( which I still think can shift to FS nicely.)

Terrance Brooks. FS. Aussie has won me over.

4th. Also a bit of an iffy position. Our two most talented players have big questions marks. One is getting a little long in the tooth, and was injured last year, the other was injured his first year, and we still don't know if he will ever play.

Christian Kirksey, Jordan Tripp
    . ILB. Both OLBs that can move into the inside. Plays sideline to sideline with some coverage skills.

5th.

Jeff Janis. WR. Steelers love finding the later round WRs with talent.

5th Comp.

Phillip Gaines. CB. Got himself noticed, unfortunatly.

6th

Devon Kennard. OLB.

7th.

Ryan Groy. OG.

AML

1st. Mosley is gone, Evens is gone. I do think that Gilbert or Dennard will be there for us. BAP and a position of need.

Gilbert or Dennard. CB. Gilbert may have the better top end, Dennard will be ready to start quicker. I will be happy with either.
    Totally agree with you. Gilbert is a freakish athlete and given a few years could be a serious stud....BUT...his technigue is near as polished as Dennard. When you look on film Gilbert doesnt possess the instinct or the field awareness that Dennard possesses. Easy test...watch both on film and see who gets turned around or who gets their feet tangled up more.

In a nutshell...If I need a CB to start tomorrow, I draft Dennard. If I have the luxery of waiting a year or two to work on technigue, I draft Gilbert. Gilbert is the CB with the highest ceiling and Dennard is the more pro ready.

-- Jack Lambert --

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

1st. Gilbert or Dennard. CB. Gilbert may have the better top end, Dennard will be ready to start quicker. I will be happy with either.

2nd. Stephon Tuitt. DE.

3rd Comp. Terrance Brooks. FS. Aussie has won me over.

4th. Christian Kirksey, Jordan Tripp. ILB.
    5th. Jeff Janis. WR.
    5th Comp. Phillip Gaines. CB.
    6th Devon Kennard. OLB.
    7th. Ryan Groy. OG.
    Like the way your thinking Ed.

I saw this week that Troy Polamalu is unwilling to take a pay cut. Looks like they will give him and extension to his contract to resolve the situation.

Gerry Dulac also has stated that Shamarko Thomas will start this year.

Its starting to look like Troy and Shamarko will be partners at safety in 2014.

I am starting to think that FS will not be addressed at all in this draft.

That's a shame because I really like brooks. I like him enough to even consider him as a nickel cornerback.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Dwinsgames

I think Phillip Gaines gets a far higher grade from teams than what draft pundits are giving him and doubt he gets to far out of the 3rd round and would not be shocked to see him go higher ... he had a good combine which will lead more teams to Rices pro day another good showing there and the secret will be 100% out , remember this kid only gave up 13 catches the entire 2013 season 13 passes defensed and 4 picks out of 40 balls thrown at him ( ball hawk ability ) one out of every 10 balls thrown his way he picked off ??? outstanding .....

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

So Troy and Shamarko at Safety, is their plan to play alot of cover zero? Bring back Blitzburgh!
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltreal View Post
    So Troy and Shamarko at Safety, is their plan to play alot of cover zero? Bring back Blitzburgh!

time will tell if they Draft Gilbert or Dennard they may in fact move to man cover / bump n run

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

The Will Allen signing would seem to support Aussie's thoughts that we may not go FS early. I would also think that this would bring into play names like Isaiah Lewis, Tre Boston, Jonathan Dowling, or may Paul Porras.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

The Will Allen signing would seem to support Aussie's thoughts that we may not go FS early. I would also think that this would bring into play names like Isaiah Lewis, Tre Boston, Jonathan Dowling, or may Paul Porras.
    That last guy on the list would put a smile on Dwins face!

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    That last guy on the list would put a smile on Dwins face!
    yea it would we need a few guys like him on the roster IMO , hard working , high character vocal leaders

Dwinsgames

updated mock ...

1) Gilbert - Dennard CB these two need no introductions

2) Moncrief WR some will say to early but after watching a ton or tape feel he has the best explosion of any WR in this draft and tons of upside to ward off the " rawness " factor

3comp) Josh Mauro DE a dire need and a super solid player who still reminds me of Aaron Smith

4) Gillmore -Joe Don Duncan TE both big physical TEs who can block and make plays over the middle of the field

5) Ellis NT big strong anchor

5comp) Bourland ILB Fireplug run stuffer who may only be a 2 down LBer but has the motor you look for

6) Hoffman WR highly productive WR who runs 4.5 and is close to 6'4 36 collegiate TDs do not come by luck nor does 3600+ receiving yards if he is there you got to take him at this point

7) Kennard OLB has DE and LB exp bet suited at LB in 3-4 a guy with big game exp in a big program that can rush the passer this late in the draft is a gimme from where I sit

updated mock ...

1) Gilbert - Dennard CB these two need no introductions

2) Moncrief WR some will say to early but after watching a ton or tape feel he has the best explosion of any WR in this draft and tons of upside to ward off the " rawness " factor

3comp) Josh Mauro DE a dire need and a super solid player who still reminds me of Aaron Smith

4) Gillmore -Joe Don Duncan TE both big physical TEs who can block and make plays over the middle of the field

5) Ellis NT big strong anchor

5comp) Bourland ILB Fireplug run stuffer who may only be a 2 down LBer but has the motor you look for

6) Hoffman WR highly productive WR who runs 4.5 and is close to 6'4 36 collegiate TDs do not come by luck nor does 3600+ receiving yards if he is there you got to take him at this point

7) Kennard OLB has DE and LB exp bet suited at LB in 3-4 a guy with big game exp in a big program that can rush the passer this late in the draft is a gimme from where I sit
    I am becoming more convinced that if Gilbert, or Dennard are there this will be our 1st pick, even if we do pick up a CB in FA.

I would still like to drop a little in the 2nd, but if Moncrief is their guy I wouldn't say he is a reach. we have no picks between our 2nd round pick and the 3rd round comp pick, if that is what we get, and Moncrief will not last that long.

Mauro could be our last shot at an impact DE at this point. By impact I mean a player that will see playing time next year. He is just what you said, A solid DE that should only get better as the year go's along.

The rest of the picks are solid picks where you have them going. Still not sure we will take a TE in this draft, but Gillmore would be a good one in the 4th. Ellis could end up being a good NT that would clog the middle, and his long arms could make it difficult to throw over him. Still like Janis here but he or Hoffman could end up as 6th round steals. Hoffman would give Ben a big target.

Except for Borland, I could see this draft happening.

AML

Dwinsgames

hate putting a new mock up so soon making last one obsolete , desperate times now losing all our DE's with exp not named Heyward , so here goes ....

1) Aaron Donald DE

2) Donta Moncrief WR

3comp) Phillip Gaines CB

4) Josh Mauro DE ( if there) otherwise Max Bullough ILB / Christian Kirksey ILB

5) Ellis NT

5comp) Marcus Whitfield ILB

6)Cody Hoffman WR

7)Devon Kennard OLB

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Can't give up on CJ, Dwins

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Can't give up on CJ, Dwins
    no place to put him as it stands , cant take him in the second wont be there with comp in 3rd

Dwinsgames

will alter it again if we get a couple DE in house prior to draft

no place to put him as it stands , cant take him in the second wont be there with comp in 3rd
    Maybe we won't go with a WR early. It's very possible Wheaton will get it in gear this season. I remember when Sanders looked more promising than Brown. What about CJ in the 2nd?