Thread: Tall WR's in the draft

Banned Array title="Spike is just really nice">

Tall WR's in the draft

have to start somewhere, here's one...

Texas A&M redshirt sophomore WR Mike Evans will forego his final two years of eligibility and enter the NFL draft.

Scouting The Draft: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M

Mike Evans is someone we will really need to keep an eye on this off-season. The giant receiver from Texas A&M hasn't been the kind of guy to go unnoticed. In high school Evans was a two sport athlete. You could find him tearing it up in basketball and football. On the football field, Evans played both ways. His nose for the football made him a deadly INT machine. When he was recruited by A&M, Evans was given the chance to focus solely on being a receiver.

It didn't take long at all for Mike to make a name for himself. After starting all 13 games, Evans was #2 in school history in receptions and #3 in yards. His monster numbers matched his monster presence.

Measurables

Height: 6'5"

Weight: 225

Positives

The first thing you will notice about Evans, is his daunting size. At 6'5", Mike towers over the competition. Let's not forget who his competition is. Evans plays in the SEC and goes up against some of the best defenses in the league. When facing Alabama, Mike was able put up 279 yards and a TD. That was one of two 200 yard games for Mike Evans, the other one coming against Auburn. Mike is a matchup nightmare for everyone. He regularly draws double or triple coverage, but continues to succeed. Even when Evans is covered, he is open. He uses his giant size to almost always come down with the ball when the ball is up for grabs. Mike seems to make incredible clutch catches for his QB on a regular basis. Mike Evans can be "the guy" when it comes to needing a safety net or a big play.

Negatives

Mike Evans isn't slow, but he isn't a burner either. All eyes will be on that 40 time at the combine. In high school, Evans was timed at 4.54, but has beefed up a bit since then. Mike regularly runs himself open, but isn't blowing by everyone. If you are looking for that speedster downfield, Evans is not the guy for you. One other concern that might be had, is his maturity. Like Johnny Football, Evans plays with a lot of emotion. Since Evans is only a Sophomore, he is still very young. He has a lot of room to grow in the maturity department.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/...s-wr-texas-a-m

----------------------

He could easily be there at #15

Ben loves his tall WR's

Even when Evans is covered, he is open.

I liked that part

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Re: Tall WR's in the draft

Sounds like a great prospect and a 4.54 for a 6' 5" receiver is very respectable.

4.54 is what Moye runs too I believe.

A.J. Green is also around 4.5.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

We can pick high quality WRs as low as round 6, no need to reach- literally. We need more help on both lines and the secondary while we can simply just keep feeding the ball to AB.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    We can pick high quality WRs as low as round 6, no need to reach- literally. We need more help on both lines and the secondary while we can simply just keep feeding the ball to AB.
    Wow.

Good point.

You suck though.

It's fun to window shop in the off season.

so in other words you have nothing to add to this topic

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

while i dont want evans because he would probably have to be our 1st rounder according to his draft projections, i dont we should be waiting quite that long to give ben another weapon. We need to draft ben a WR or good receiving TE a little before that. Brown can only do so much on his own. If Brown is neutralized in any games, it will take a ton away from this offense
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

I would not mind if we picked a WR OR TE earlier in the draft.

In fact I would probably prefer to see a good blocking and receiving TE.

Otherwise defense.

He's just like a TE, but better - probably won't be there for us, but it could happen

NFL draft 2014 top 10 WRs: Mike Evans, Sammy Watkins, Allen Robinson, more

1. Mike Evans, Texas A&M: I keep going back and forth between Evans and Clemson’s Sammy Watkins as the top WR in this class. If I had to march to the podium to make a pick right now, it would be Evans. Though he’s not a straight-line burner, very few cornerbacks will be able to match up with him comfortably. Add in his ability to beat any coverage thrown his way and his potential to dominate in the red zone, and Evans could help any offense.

4. Allen Robinson, Penn State: I mentioned on Twitter that Robinson reminds me some of star Chargers receiver Keenan Allen. Aside from possessing similar size (Robinson is listed at 6-3, 204; Allen at 6-2, 211), Robinson will arrive in the NFL with an advanced game. He runs sharp routes and has proven dangerous in the screen game. Plus, he uses every bit of that 6-2 frame to win balls consistently in the air.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/02/nfl-dra...ide-receivers/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It would be nice to get a different style of receiver than the team currently has. I feel that Brown and Wheaton are similar players from a "tools" standpoint. I expect Sanders, another guy with a similar profile, to not be retained. Guess Cotchery comes back. So I agree with Spike that a "tall" or physical style WR would fit on the roster. Moye hasn't really done much to get excited about. Evans and Robinson in the draft are kind of the type of WR I would like to see the Steelers get their hands on. The only problem is the cost. Evans is going to go early from what I have read. Robinson likely goes in the first 3 rounds as well. I would not really prefer that the Steelers draft a WR with one of their first 3 picks. Lately, they have rolled the dice on later round tall/physical WR's and none have stuck with the team. Long story, short...draft is out, at least for me.

Despite the lack of cap space and the uncertain contract status of several potential key starters, I would propose that the ideal solution to the Steelers WR "problem" can be found on the FA market. Sign either or both of the following players to "prove it" team friendly deals:

1. Hakeem Nicks - prior to injuries and suddenly forgetting how to play football, he was on around a TD per game pace and looked unstoppable. Likely wore out his welcome in NY. Maybe a change of scenery and lowered expectations revive his career?

2. Kenny Britt - if he is healthy again after another round of injuries, has all the physical talent in the world. Is an extreme knucklehead however. Maybe a veteran team and a taste of failure turns this once promising young WR around?

Just a random thought for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It would be nice to get a different style of receiver than the team currently has. I feel that Brown and Wheaton are similar players from a "tools" standpoint. I expect Sanders, another guy with a similar profile, to not be retained. Guess Cotchery comes back. So I agree with Spike that a "tall" or physical style WR would fit on the roster. Moye hasn't really done much to get excited about. Evans and Robinson in the draft are kind of the type of WR I would like to see the Steelers get their hands on. The only problem is the cost. Evans is going to go early from what I have read. Robinson likely goes in the first 3 rounds as well. I would not really prefer that the Steelers draft a WR with one of their first 3 picks. Lately,

they have rolled the dice on later round tall/physical WR's and none have stuck with the team. Long story, short...draft is out, at least for me.

Despite the lack of cap space and the uncertain contract status of several potential key starters,

I would propose that the ideal solution to the Steelers WR "problem" can be found on the FA market.

Sign either or both of the following players to "prove it" team friendly deals:

1. Hakeem Nicks - prior to injuries and suddenly forgetting how to play football, he was on around a TD per game pace and looked unstoppable. Likely wore out his welcome in NY. Maybe a change of scenery and lowered expectations revive his career?

2. Kenny Britt - if he is healthy again after another round of injuries, has all the physical talent in the world. Is an extreme knucklehead however. Maybe a veteran team and a taste of failure turns this once promising young WR around?

Just a random thought for the day.
    I agree this could be a good possible solution.

Brown is a top 5-10 receiver and Cotchery is a solid #3 assuming we keep him.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    In fact I would probably prefer to see a good blocking and receiving TE.

Otherwise defense.
    meh, imo we dont need yet another good blocking tight end. Heath is a top tier blocking TE, and matt spaeth is as well. I believe matt spaeth was ranked the #1 blocking tight end in the NFL only a season or so ago actually.

I would have no problem with getting a great receiving tight end that is a poor blocker like jace amaro with a 2nd round pick
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Dwinsgames

L'Damian Washington 6-4-205 4.39-40 projected as a 5th- 6th round pick but someone may reach for him in the late 4th based on shear target size and mismatch ability

Dwinsgames

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

We wont draft an offensive lineman before the 5th round, nor do we need to.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

ALLD
    We can pick high quality WRs as low as round 6, no need to reach- literally.
    Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    We wont draft an offensive lineman before the 5th round, nor do we need to.
    I tend to agree with both of you.

I really don't see any urgent urgency on the offensive side of the ball (barring injuries) in the draft.

Ben was sacked only 7 times the last 7 games and our offense FINALLY started scoring more touchdowns than field goals the end of the season.

Only real concern imo is the run game. Are these linemen going to start dominating in the trenches and opening running lanes or not?

So if we find a draft steal at LT or WR in the early rounds that is too good to pass up, great!!! If not, I still think our offense will be OK.

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

I might take some heat for this comment, but I don't want a tall WR in the draft.

I want to take a physical WR who can bully CB's around.

Here it is....... I want a Terrell Owens type WR............Not a primadonna but a 6'2 220 - 230" WR who creates havoc

This team has the short, speedy smurfs. The tall guys can be left to the TE's and Moye. It needs a physical beast.

Give me a strong WR who is a workhorse.

My candidate:

Donte Moncrieff ( 6'2 226" Ole Miss) ..... he can be had for the Mike Wallace comp pick..... go figure

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

What round is the comp pick for Wallace, 3?

Here they have him graded late first round.

Pros
    Fantastic combination of size, speed and athleticism.
    Has played at an elite level going against top SEC competition, despite usually being surrounded by less talent than opposing teams.
    Excellent frame for the position at 6-foot-3, 230-pounds. Big and strong.
    Very durable. Hasn’t missed a game yet in two-plus seasons.
    Gets good separation off the line of scrimmage. Very physical with corners trying to jam him.
    Smooth route runner with good burst out of breaks.
    Good leaping ability. High-points the ball and uses frame well to box out defenders.
    Good body control. Dances a tight-rope along the sideline. Excellent on-field awareness.
    Shows good concentration when ball is in the air. Tracks the ball very well.
    Makes the catch in traffic and isn’t afraid to go across the middle. Doesn’t have alligator arms.
    Overall seems to be a good kid. Doesn’t get into trouble and is very well liked amongst teammates, coaches and the community. A favorite of the student section.

Cons
    Is fast, but isn’t a true burner. Might have difficulty taking the top off a defense at the next level.

Doesn’t always stretch the field vertically.
    Not an elite blocker yet. The skills to be a top-notch blocker at wide receiver are there though.
    Needs to use hands better and more consistently.
    Despite strong statistics, has disappeared at times with lackluster QB play.
    Sometimes struggles breaking free of double-coverage....

The bottom line is he’s got the skill set to play outside receiver at a very high level in the NFL, and that’s a hard thing to come by. He might not be the first receiver selected in the 2014 NFL Draft, as Sammy Watkins (Clemson), Marqise Lee (USC) and Mike Evans (Texas A&M) are also very highly viewed amongst personnel men, but I think Moncrief could be the best of the bunch long-term.

Draft Projection: Late 1st round.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/1...CkWW6wrSkQ8.99

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    What round is the comp pick for Wallace, 3?

Here they have him graded late first round.
    I like Moncrieff too but he has a 3rd round grade imo

Good read.

He is essentially saying the biggest advantage is the red zone where someone like even Burress was averaging 8 touchdowns a season in the 4 years before coming back to Pittsburgh.

So is it really wise to draft high for a big receiver when such a low percentage pan out, we are in a dink and dunk offense and the real advantage is primarily in the redzone?

NFL Wide Receivers: Short Or Tall, You Need Both To Succeed

NFL teams lust after tall receivers, right? Wrong!

While it may be true they attract attention in the lead up to the NFL Draft in any given year, the great, tall receivers are relatively rare finds.

Enamored with finding the next Calvin Johnson, teams and fans alike comb through college prospects, and their eyes fix quickly to any wide receiver with 6'4" in the measurable-s line.

Yet, in the current top receivers ranking at NFL.com, nine of the Top 20 are 6'1" or under in height.

Whether this has to do with the aforementioned rarity of speedy, big receivers, I really don't know. Since 2007, the receiver with the most catches is 5'9" Wes Welker (703). Calvin Johnson - over the same time period - had 509 receptions. But it's yardage that's the thing, you say? Hmm... Well, Megatron has a slight edge, with 8,148 receiving yards, versus Welker's 7,774.

The area where the big, tall receivers have an undeniable edge is in touchdowns.

Johnson's 58 dwarfs (no pun intended) the 5'9" Welker's 45 touchdowns.

Tall guys in the red zone are handy to have, but that's really the only area that screams advantage to me.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/10...oth-to-succeed

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post

My candidate:

Donte Moncrieff ( 6'2 226" Ole Miss) ..... he can be had for the Mike Wallace comp pick..... go figure
    We think so much alike. I love this guy and would pass up some of the players ranked ahead of him to grab him. He has a third round grade, but I wouldnt be surprised to see someone grab him in the 2nd.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

while we are on the subject, ive noticed that the only time strong draft prospects with virtually no red flags seem to drop is because the draft is deep at other positions. so what positions is this draft deep at anyways? Im hoping to see some top flight WR or TE's to fall down draft boards for this very reason

deep WR draft

Florida State WR Benjamin enters NFL draft

Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin will forego his final two years of college eligibility and enter the 2014 NFL draft.

A redshirt sophomore, Benjamin was Heisman winner Jameis Winston's go-to target in 2013, catching 54 balls for 1,011 yards (18.7 YPR) and 15 touchdowns.

Benjamin is listed at a monstrous 6-foot-5, 234 pounds and has generated Alshon Jeffery comparisons for his ability to win against defensive backs with physicality and size

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...ters-nfl-draft

Dwinsgames

I suspect now that he has officially declared his stock will be on the rise on most mock sites and seeing him listed as late 2nd rounder will be a rarity instead of the norm

There seem to be few, if any positions that GM's get over infatuated with when it comes to physical dimensions than at wide receiver. Which is dumb, because if you look around the league, its not like all of the best receiving corps are consisted of nothing but hulking giants.

I feel like this is going to be a draft where a lot of teams are going to try soooo hard to draft the next calvin johnson or demaryius thomas, that they just reach and end up drafting the next Jon Baldwin. I honestly think all of the top "big, tall" receivers are as good as gone by the time we try to pick them where they were appropriately still supposed to be available. If we can get just one big, tall receiver that pans out and knows how to use his body, one good safety or corner, and one other good player, i will be ecstatic about this year's draft class

Watkins, Evans, or Benjamin should be available when we pick....I call that a win win win

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Watkins, Evans, or Benjamin should be available when we pick....I call that a win win win
    Benjamin will probably be the only one there at 15. And at 15 there will be better players available. He'll be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd round

you never know what position will get a run on...tons of underclassmen declaring

1.*Javedon Clowney DE South Carolina
    2.*Teddy Bridgewater QB Louisville
    3.Anthony Barr LB UCLA
    4.Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M
    5.*Sammie Watkins WR Clemson
    6.*Blake Bortles QB Central Florida
    7.*Greg Robinson OT Auburn
    8.Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    9.Khalil Mack LB Buffalo
    10.*Cyrus Kouandjio OT Alabama

11.*Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    12.*Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M
    13.*Kelvin Benjamin WR Florida State
    14.CJ Mosely LB Alabama
    15.Derek Carr QB Fresno State
    16.*Eric Ebron TE North Carolina
    17.*Marqise Lee WR Southern California
    18.*Stephen Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    19.*Jace Amaro TE Texas Tech
    20.Cyril Richardson OG Baylor (OT)
    21.Taylor Lewan OT Michigan

http://www.gbnreport.com/top100.html

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    you never know what position will get a run on...tons of underclassmen declaring

1.*Javedon Clowney DE South Carolina
    2.*Teddy Bridgewater QB Louisville
    3.Anthony Barr LB UCLA
    4.Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M
    5.*Sammie Watkins WR Clemson
    6.*Blake Bortles QB Central Florida
    7.*Greg Robinson OT Auburn
    8.Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    9.Khalil Mack LB Buffalo
    10.*Cyrus Kouandjio OT Alabama

11.*Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    12.*Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M
    13.*Kelvin Benjamin WR Florida State
    14.CJ Mosely LB Alabama
    15.Derek Carr QB Fresno State
    16.*Eric Ebron TE North Carolina
    17.*Marqise Lee WR Southern California
    18.*Stephen Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    19.*Jace Amaro TE Texas Tech
    20.Cyril Richardson OG Baylor (OT)
    21.Taylor Lewan OT Michigan

http://www.gbnreport.com/top100.html
    the thing is you could scramble those guys up and toss em out and it would be a worthy top 20 draft without adding in any of the seniors ..... showing best value in this draft is a trade back and gaining more selections and still walking away with a top flight talent

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Anyone like Cody Hoffman 6'4" BYU?

4 year guy, maybe 4-5th rder
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltreal View Post
    Anyone like Cody Hoffman 6'4" BYU?

4 year guy, maybe 4-5th rder
    really like him , spoke about him in one of the other threads here in this section , maybe one posted in oct nov or dec believe I posted a video of him as well