Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2014 Draft

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

The 2014 Draft

I really like Haha Clinton-Dix from Alabama. Good size (6'1'' 208lb), extremely athletic and intelligent, strong ball skills, and an absolute thumper. Really, one of the best players on the best team in the nation (imo) in the best conference. Plays really big in big games. From listening to interviews and reading interview transcripts, he seems extremely passionate for the game.

I think he has even more upside than Kenny Vaccaro. Hard to ask for much more from this kid

Only negatives I can think up are that he does overpursue sometimes (almost all of it on blitzes or tackling RB's) and
    some people consider this a negative (you be the judge) but he got suspended 2 games for taking money from his strength/conditioning coach but he had a good reason: He had his car loaded up with his valuables and some money to visit his family in florida but his car got broken into. His coach gave him money to help and hasean took it, only to repay him later.

I mean seriously, does that sound like a bad kid to you? I love this guy, best safety prospect since earl thomas. if we pick him up and shamarko pans out, this could be a top 5 safety tandem in the NFL

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...ama-nick-saban

Thoughts
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="blackngldblood has a spectacular aura about"> blackngldblood's Avatar

Re: The 2014 Draft

My only thought at this time is do you think he'll be around at #15?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackngldblood View Post
    My only thought at this time is do you think he'll be around at #15?

every mock ive seen has him going somewhere between 14-19, so yeah. i dont know who's picking 1-2 spots ahead of us yet but if they need safety help i would totally trade up. im just afraid that he is going to blow people away for interviews and have a good combine. no way in hell he goes top 5. i can see a small chance in the top 10, but those teams at 6-10 seem to have way too many needs and will have too many talented players at those areas of need to pick hasean.

im also worried that someone will really fall in love with this guy and draft him way earlier than projected. kind of like mark barron with the buccaneers. and he's shit compared to hasean
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I'd be happy with Clinton-Dix. I think he'll be a hell of a player. I'm also wondering if he'll be around at our pick. The Rams need safety help and so do the Jets.

I think that our biggest position of need is CB but I don't think that there's one in this draft that's worthy of our first pick.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I'd be happy with Clinton-Dix. I think he'll be a hell of a player. I'm also wondering if he'll be around at our pick. The Rams need safety help and so do the Jets.

I think that our biggest position of need is CB but I don't think that there's one in this draft that's worthy of our first pick.
    shit, i forgot about their 2nd pick. yeah that pick will be in front of us. and as always, this team always does JUST well enough to get screwed out of picking up that superstar player. the chance is still very much alive. still a much better chance than we had at rashard mendenhall in 2008 (lol...) and david decastro 2 seasons ago.

someone plant a joint in his back pocket. please and thank you

Senior Member Array title="blackngldblood has a spectacular aura about"> blackngldblood's Avatar

At least we shouldn't have to worry about LT as our first pick now that Beachum has proven himself. I figure it'll be DB, ILB, or maybe WR/TE.

And since I just got done reading a comment of Clark's that says he doesn't think he's crappy enough for "minimum money" we will need a new safety.

Dwinsgames

I think 1 year of production (albeit very good production ) will have some teams looking sideways at him not knowing what to really think , I also think because of the one year of production the learning curve and speed of the game will play a role in his early development at the NFL level especially in a system like Lebeaus where there is so much to learn and its complexity ....

I think in the end whomever drafts him will have to be comfortable in giving him a year to adjust and not be relied upon to be a week 1 contributor as a starter .....

trust me its not a knock on him he has the tools to be a very good player from my perspective but I think for the Steelers we really need to draft players to help us now not a year or two down the road which is our normal MO ...

that is just me , maybe others will see it differently

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I think 1 year of production (albeit very good production ) will have some teams looking sideways at him not knowing what to really think , I also think because of the one year of production the learning curve and speed of the game will play a role in his early development at the NFL level especially in a system like Lebeaus where there is so much to learn and its complexity ....

I think in the end whomever drafts him will have to be comfortable in giving him a year to adjust and not be relied upon to be a week 1 contributor as a starter .....

trust me its not a knock on him he has the tools to be a very good player from my perspective but I think for the Steelers we really need to draft players to help us now not a year or two down the road which is our normal MO ...

that is just me , maybe others will see it differently
    agree with production standpoint. but i think this is the rare kind of player that can be plug and play for us. im going off the assumption that troy is going to stay for one last hurrah, and if thats so, i think a year of limited playing time will suffice.

his sophomore year when he played sparingly he still made big plays in big games, and i am hoping dearly that teams dont take that into much consideration

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Wouldn't the rats pick before us according to this?

http://www.nfl.com/standings

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Wouldn't the rats pick before us according to this?

http://www.nfl.com/standings
    Tiebreaker for the draft is SOS. Different than division tiebreakers which is head-to-head then division record.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Tiebreaker for the draft is SOS. Different than division tiebreakers which is head-to-head then division record.
    Nothing is simple these days!

Damn. The rams and bears are picking at 13 and 14 respectively and they both need safety help. http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dra...fl-draft-order

although that seems very high for a safety. hopefully they will overlook Hasean. Come on guys, who do you like? I feel like im talking to myself over here

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Damn. The rams and bears are picking at 13 and 14 respectively and they both need safety help. http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dra...fl-draft-order

although that seems very high for a safety. hopefully they will overlook Hasean. Come on guys, who do you like? I feel like im talking to myself over here

Bears may be looking for some beef too for the middle of that D-line , Ra'shede Hageman may be a good fit there ....

and now you know how me an Tex have felt for a few months ( talking to ourselves ) in this part of the forum LOL

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/18983-Summer-Christmas-Holiday-Mock

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...on-ended-today

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...d-giggles-mock

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

For the Rams it also depends on what they do with the #2 pick. They might be looking at OT for their second pick in the first. They also might trade the #2 pick, which completely changes what they might do.

For the Rams it also depends on what they do with the #2 pick. They might be looking at OT for their second pick in the first. They also might trade the #2 pick, which completely changes what they might do.
    not worried about their first pick. that 2nd pick frightens me, i mean safety is probably their #1 need. phenomenal value and need pick if they grab Haha. im seriously hoping for him to bomb the combine or something

Dwinsgames

with the QB situation in this draft and the amount of teams that need one I would bet the farm they trade that #2 over all pick and move back 5 or 6 spots and get a #1 next year for their efforts and potentially another 2 or 3 this year

Bears may be looking for some beef too for the middle of that D-line , Ra'shede Hageman may be a good fit there ....

and now you know how me an Tex have felt for a few months ( talking to ourselves ) in this part of the forum LOL

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/18983-Summer-Christmas-Holiday-Mock

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...on-ended-today

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...d-giggles-mock
    well i will definitely be around more . although i will only be able to put in my 2 cents for the early rounds

with the QB situation in this draft and the amount of teams that need one I would bet the farm they trade that #2 over all pick and move back 5 or 6 spots and get a #1 next year for their efforts and potentially another 2 or 3 this year
    That's exactly what I expect them to do. If that happens, it will have an effect on what they do with that 2nd pick.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I think there are 3 safties that are very close. Clinton-Dix, Dion Bailey ( who just declared for the draft), and Deone Bucannon. Clinton-Dix will likely go in the first round, I think in the mid teens, but I'm just not convinced he is better than the other two, at this point. There are also a few CBs that I personally think would make very good safties, Tre Boston, Antone Exum, and Stanley Jean-Baptiste.

AML

Dwinsgames

I still like Stanley Jean-Baptiste FS or Tre Boston FS , I feel the value of either of these players commensurates the pos and their skill sets fit our MO ....

Baptiste is a Corner in College but has the size you would like to cover these big strong pass catching TEs and in our division we see a few of them a couple times a year ( every division opponent has at least 1 of them on their roster ) and Baptiste could be our equalizer /answer to those TEs

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I still like Stanley Jean-Baptiste FS or Tre Boston FS , I feel the value of either of these players commensurates the pos and their skill sets fit our MO ....

Baptiste is a Corner in College but has the size you would like to cover these big strong pass catching TEs and in our division we see a few of them a couple times a year ( every division opponent has at least 1 of them on their roster ) and Baptiste could be our equalizer /answer to those TEs
    this kid as a player I am very intrigued with.

AML

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    lol what did i just read

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I think there are 3 safties that are very close. Clinton-Dix, Dion Bailey ( who just declared for the draft), and Deone Bucannon. Clinton-Dix will likely go in the first round, I think in the mid teens, but I'm just not convinced he is better than the other two, at this point. There are also a few CBs that I personally think would make very good safties, Tre Boston, Antone Exum, and Stanley Jean-Baptiste.
    tell us more about the other 2 safeties. im having a hard time evaluating any safety in this draft better than Clinton but im intrigued

Dwinsgames

all things being equal I take a CB turned S over a pure S provided 1) he has the size to transition properly because they are more used to coverage responsibilities and less apt to need help in doing so 2) we are talking FS and not SS

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Season is over and NOW i'm ready to dive into the draft!!!!

Welcome to the discussions will be interested in hearing your take

Welcome to the discussions will be interested in hearing your take
    Gotta get my head wrapped around it and adjust my big board. Crazy how this year...we could see the first round pick go in a few different directions.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Im still thinking that LT is a need... and then adjust the remaining front line (if possible) to Decastro/Velasco/Pouncey/Beechum.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Im still thinking that LT is a need... and then adjust the remaining front line (if possible) to Decastro/Velasco/Pouncey/Beechum.
    interesting ....

I think we first have to decide who we are and who we want to become .... this to me is the first consideration ...

as it stands we have a Line coach who was brought in to transform this unit into a ZBS scheme team and that failed miserably and we did not see improved play until we navigated away from it for the most part ( we still used some outside zone but not nearly as much as originally intended )

are we still inclined to move to a ZBS ?

are we rethinking it and leaning towards the Man Blocking scheme ?

whatever that answer is should determine whom you line up where and who you draft ......

if ZBS is your thing Beachum may be your man at LT , he is mobile and can get the job done ...

if man blocking is the route we proceed I see him as an asset at LG where he can pull to the right side because he has the mobility and agility to do that and I think he could be an all pro LG in doing so and LT becomes a priority ( this is how I envision this team ) not that the staff see's it that way ....

I would then Draft a big strong mountain of a man to play LT like Tiny Richardson . LG Beachum , C Velasco RG Decastro RT Adams ... I trade Pouncey because he is going to cost to much at the end of next season and i do not want to rent players for a year and see them walk for a comp pick the following year for far less value than I can get on my own in a trade