Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2014 Draft

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Re: The 2014 Draft

Btw folks, the Sooners completely humiliated Alabama's defense on Thursday unexpectedly. I didnt watch the game, but i would think that barring Clinton-Dix having an outstanding individual performance, that would drop his stock some?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Btw folks, the Sooners completely humiliated Alabama's defense on Thursday unexpectedly. I didnt watch the game, but i would think that barring Clinton-Dix having an outstanding individual performance, that would drop his stock some?
    I watched the game and Clinton-Dix played pretty well. Nothing outstanding but he wasn't the one getting beat all the time or missing the tackle.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I watched the game and Clinton-Dix played pretty well. Nothing outstanding but he wasn't the one getting beat all the time or missing the tackle.
    ugh. barring hell freezing over ive all but given up on being able to get him at 15
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Agree 100% with the report. Great job Chidi.

He is everything we wanted Jarvis Jones to be.

He must be a lock for the top 10

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

Starting to really watch players in this years pool, David Fales looks like he could be a gem out of the quarterback group. Footwork is superb, mobility is there, throws come out very clean. Surprised he isn't ranked higher. I like what I've seen out of him vs. Smith and Manziel.

Also have been impressed with Carr.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

What are the knocks on Zach Mettenberger?
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

hey guys, it seems like from the mocks being posted that this draft is really rich in talent at DB in the 2nd-3rd rounds, but how about chris borland in the 2nd or 3rd round? hell, i think he might still be there at the very end of the 3rd round with one of our compensatory picks. larry foote will be back but hes only serviceable, and he'll be about done. guy can do EVERYTHING. guy has that under-the-radar superstar potential that kiko alonso has.

yes i am biased, leave me alone . go badgers!

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post

for me , he throws to many Joe Flacco balls big arch deep ball into coverage in this league often times spells trouble ....

slow feet and very limited athleticism in a Drew Bledsoe kinda way ....

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Torn ACL isn't helping matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    for me , he throws to many Joe Flacco balls big arch deep ball into coverage in this league often times spells trouble ....

slow feet and very limited athleticism in a Drew Bledsoe kinda way ....
    Yeah, he's definitely a statue. By far the least mobile guy I watched last night. But I was really impressed with his arm and save the release at times his mechanics. I thought from a pure arm strength standpoint he looked superior to Bortels. If I'm a team with a good offensive line and he's sitting there in the third round I probably pounce. I think if this were ten or fifteen years ago he'd be considered an elite prospect. All the other guys have far better mobility but there isn't a ton of size in this class. I thought Brett Smith would be a lot bigger than he is from hearing others talk about him. I came away really impressed with Fales and Carr is better than I thought. Bridgewater is what I expected. I have very mixed feelings on Bortels. I probably take McCarron ahead of guys like Murray and Smith.

Going to try to get a few tailbacks under my belt tonight, suggestions on who to check out first?

- - - Updated - - -

Torn ACL isn't helping matters.
    Hi Chidi, how do you find David Fales? I'm rather awestruck over what I watched of him last night. I thought he looked superb. Wish that arm had a little more power but everything else seemed spot on. Looks to me like he'd be a great value for maybe a Bengals or Jets team in the second round looking for someone to compete with the incumbent.

Dwinsgames

Going to try to get a few tailbacks under my belt tonight, suggestions on who to check out first?

late round flyer Antonio Andrews ( 6th -7th round) , quality Back , smaller school but has games against top tier talent ( though his line struggled with higher talent against them to block worth a dam ) he still did pretty well

top tier back Bishop Sankey is one of my favorites considering we have just 1 signed RB on the roster in 2014 at this point in time , he could be a solid starter in this league and would make a hell of a 1-2 punch with Bell

Tre Mason but like Sankey will probably be an investment Back ( 2nd rounder ) where we are probably looking at 4th round and later backs

Melvin Gordon III is an interesting prospect as well

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

I like Storm Johnson UCF at RB. All around balanced, 1 year starter so he will be Healthy if needed as a rookie,
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Depends on what you are looking for. I think 3rd round is the earliest that we may look at a back and more probably it will be in the 4-6 rounds. I think that we will be looking at change of pace backs...but would not be surprised to see us grab a big back if he has the right pedigree.

that being said...

If Carlos Hyde of Ohio State falls to the 3rd, he may be worth a look. He is a tank at 6-0 235 lbs. Not going to outrun anyone but would be a good third down short yardage type of back.

Also in the 3rd, I would be excited to see Andre Williams of Boston College for the same reasons. He is 6-0 227 lbs...but has some medical questions that might need answered.

I have already mentioned in my mocks that I like James White of Wisconsin, and think that he will be a draft board riser...I wouldnt be surprised to see him get drafted as early as the 3rd round but is a 5th rounder on most boards right now.

A sleeper that you might want to peek at is UNLV's Tim Cornett. He is 6-0 210 lbs and the leading rusher in UNLV history. Good player with 4.4 speed...on a team that never got it all together.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Yeah, he's definitely a statue. By far the least mobile guy I watched last night. But I was really impressed with his arm and save the release at times his mechanics. I thought from a pure arm strength standpoint he looked superior to Bortels. If I'm a team with a good offensive line and he's sitting there in the third round I probably pounce. I think if this were ten or fifteen years ago he'd be considered an elite prospect. All the other guys have far better mobility but there isn't a ton of size in this class. I thought Brett Smith would be a lot bigger than he is from hearing others talk about him. I came away really impressed with Fales and Carr is better than I thought. Bridgewater is what I expected. I have very mixed feelings on Bortels. I probably take McCarron ahead of guys like Murray and Smith.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Chidi, how do you find David Fales? I'm rather awestruck over what I watched of him last night. I thought he looked superb. Wish that arm had a little more power but everything else seemed spot on. Looks to me like he'd be a great value for maybe a Bengals or Jets team in the second round looking for someone to compete with the incumbent.
    To be honest, I have not watched a lick of him. Still relatively early in my draft process and because of school, I rarely got to watch college football during the season. I had like one Saturday off all semester. And with the way Depot has me writing reports, coming out one at a time than all at once, I've mostly been powering through watching one guy rather than jumping around. The only QB I have watched enough is Garroppolo of Eastern Illinois (haven't written up a scouting report yet) and Bortles once in the bowl game. But I will get back to you!

i just had a dream that we traded up with all of our draft picks to get to #3 and #10 overall. We picked mike evans at #10 and a cornerback named perry crawford at #3.

Who the fuck is perry crawford and why did i dream up a guy that doesnt exist???

Also, Queen Latifah performed live at the NFL draft. Whatever the hell that means. Why is my brain thinking up these things in my sleep.

Dwinsgames

i just had a dream that we traded up with all of our draft picks to get to #3 and #10 overall. We picked mike evans at #10 and a cornerback named perry crawford at #3.

Who the fuck is perry crawford and why did i dream up a guy that doesnt exist???

Also, Queen Latifah performed live at the NFL draft. Whatever the hell that means. Why is my brain thinking up these things in my sleep.

Lay off the guacamole before bedtime LOL

that is no dream ... that is a nightmare

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

cornerback named perry crawford at #3.

Perry Crawford must be the 2014 reincarnation of Leon Sandcastle.

Also, Queen Latifah performed live at the NFL draft.
    What are you trying to do, here? Please don't give the league any big ideas. Oh lord a shiver ran down my spine when I read that -- and not a good one. Have better dreams!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

A WR with drop issues….no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    A WR with drop issues….no thanks.

More concerened with his route running. Some team is going to throw him into the mix too early and he his going to put up pedestrian numbers for a first round pick. He might be a terror in a few years though.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    More concerened with his route running. Some team is going to throw him into the mix too early and he his going to put up pedestrian numbers for a first round pick. He might be a terror in a few years though.
    he may not be done growing yet either , he could easily balloon 25 more pounds and be a HUGE TE , and that enamors me a bit I must admit because your getting a shot at potentially 2 players with 1 pick if he flops at WR ya move him inside and try him at TE LOL ....

my Fear is I have a late 2nd round grade on him and think as you clearly do as well someone is going to fall in love with his measurable's and he is gonna go in the middle ( 14-22 range ) of the first round

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    he may not be done growing yet either , he could easily balloon 25 more pounds and be a HUGE TE , and that enamors me a bit I must admit because your getting a shot at potentially 2 players with 1 pick if he flops at WR ya move him inside and try him at TE LOL ....

my Fear is I have a late 2nd round grade on him and think as you clearly do as well someone is going to fall in love with his measurable's and he is gonna go in the middle ( 14-22 range ) of the first round
    That's one of those ideas that sounds nice but never works out. Isn't there a former WR bust that got moved to tight end and it didn't work out? I thought it was Reggie Williams but that didn't seem right when I looked it up.

I do agree that someone will fall in love with those measurables and draft him higher than he's projected. He'll kill it at the Combine when everyone gets to see the physical freak that he is. 6'5 and he'll probably run like a 4.5. He's a freak. Matt Millen will probably try to claw back into the league just to draft him.

Isn't there a former WR bust that got moved to tight end and it didn't work out? I thought it was Reggie Williams but that didn't seem right when I looked it up.
    Are you thinking of Ernest Wilford? For a fourth rounder though, he didn't have a totally awful career by the time Miami tried to make him a tight end.

If that isn't who you're thinking of, I'm going to go nuts trying to figure out who it is haha.

Yes, Wilford! Thanks!

Dwinsgames

That's one of those ideas that sounds nice but never works out. Isn't there a former WR bust that got moved to tight end and it didn't work out? I thought it was Reggie Williams but that didn't seem right when I looked it up.

I do agree that someone will fall in love with those measurables and draft him higher than he's projected. He'll kill it at the Combine when everyone gets to see the physical freak that he is. 6'5 and he'll probably run like a 4.5. He's a freak. Matt Millen will probably try to claw back into the league just to draft him.

your thinking of Mike Williams and he did flop at WR &TE with the Lions and I believe Raiders and was out of football , but showed WR ability in a comeback with the Seahawks until he got injured and never regained form ... Wilford would be another example though

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Robinsons reputation is build on being a very good run blocking OT. Not sure I agree with everything I read. Is young and a raw talent, the question in my mind is, can he be coached into a better pass blocker.

AML