Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Government Shutdown Discussion .....

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

Government Shutdown Discussion .....

What will the ramifications be with a shutdown? So every government employee becomes "unemployed", no paycheck?

What happens to government retirees? Do they also not get paid?
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Re: Government Shutdown Discussion .....

Personally, it means a lot more work for us. Our unit is augmented with about 45 civil service employees, they have already been told that they will most likely be furloughed starting tomorrow. What does this mean for us? Well, it means working 12-16 hour shifts to make up for the losses. The military mission won't change and we have to pick up the slack (and possibly not receive a paycheck ourselves)

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    What will the ramifications be with a shutdown? So every government employee becomes "unemployed", no paycheck?

What happens to government retirees? Do they also not get paid?
    There is a lot that will happen. Government employees will not become unemployed, but some will not receive their paychecks when they should and some will miss work. Also, I think it only affects federal government employees. Same thing with the retirees, I think paychecks will be late.

The mail will still be delivered, people can still go to their doctors if they are on Medicaid, etc.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

\

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Government is the most lucrative industry in this country. They're not in the business of controlling *less* money. Now watch how they implement this shutdown; they'll execute it in such a way as to cause you the maximum frustration and inconvenience, which shows exactly where their priorities lie.
    I'm more concerned about them ending the shutdown than I am about the shutdown itself.
    My $0.02.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Government is the most lucrative industry in this country. They're not in the business of controlling *less* money. Now watch how they implement this shutdown; they'll execute it in such a way as to cause you the maximum frustration and inconvenience, which shows exactly where their priorities lie.
    I'm more concerned about them ending the shutdown than I am about the shutdown itself.
    My $0.02.
    I actually agree with you. Saw on the news this morning they will be barracading the WWII monument up in DC even though it's usually open 24/7 and takes no manning whatsoever to keep it open. In other words, they are SPENDING money to have it barricaded just to prove a point.

All of this as a group of WWII veterans are making the trip from down south to see the monument

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Veterans break past World War II Memorial barricade

Park Service spokeswoman says efforts no longer being made to hold anyone back

WASHINGTON (CNN) —Busloads of World War II veterans, many in wheelchairs, broke past a barricade Tuesday to cross into the World War II Memorial, as onlookers applauded and a man playing the bagpipes led the way.

Moments earlier, Republican members of Congress had removed a section of the black gates that surrounded the site, allowing a line of veterans to roll past security officers, who willingly stood aside.

Veteran Donald Quinn of Pascagoula, Miss., said he was pleased with his visit to the memorial, despite the initial blockade.

"I'm surprised to see so many people here and so many important people, but I've enjoyed it," he said. "At first I didn't think I'd come, but I'm glad I did."

The National Park Service closed all of its parks, including national memorials, as a result of the federal government shutdown that went into effect at 12:01 a.m. ET.

But a spokeswoman from the National Mall and Parks Service said efforts were no longer being made to hold anyone back, and security officers could easily be seen standing aside.

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/news/politics/Ve...#ixzz2gUrdf8oG

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    There is a lot that will happen. Government employees will not become unemployed, but some will not receive their paychecks when they should and some will miss work. Also, I think it only affects federal government employees. Same thing with the retirees, I think paychecks will be late.

The mail will still be delivered, people can still go to their doctors if they are on Medicaid, etc.
    Etc......meaning the welfare checks will still get delivered also. Just cannot stop buying those votes
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    Veterans break past World War II Memorial barricade

Park Service spokeswoman says efforts no longer being made to hold anyone back

WASHINGTON (CNN) —Busloads of World War II veterans, many in wheelchairs, broke past a barricade Tuesday to cross into the World War II Memorial, as onlookers applauded and a man playing the bagpipes led the way.

Moments earlier, Republican members of Congress had removed a section of the black gates that surrounded the site, allowing a line of veterans to roll past security officers, who willingly stood aside.

Veteran Donald Quinn of Pascagoula, Miss., said he was pleased with his visit to the memorial, despite the initial blockade.

"I'm surprised to see so many people here and so many important people, but I've enjoyed it," he said. "At first I didn't think I'd come, but I'm glad I did."

The National Park Service closed all of its parks, including national memorials, as a result of the federal government shutdown that went into effect at 12:01 a.m. ET.

But a spokeswoman from the National Mall and Parks Service said efforts were no longer being made to hold anyone back, and security officers could easily be seen standing aside.

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/news/politics/Ve...#ixzz2gUrdf8oG
    I think the veterans have every right to see the memorial, even if it is closed because of the shutdown.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

"You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

So this is day 2 of the shutdown...and I still don't care. Still getting up in the morning and going to work. Life goes on. Hell, they can shut it down forever for all I care. That way, we the people won't keep getting screwed.

So far, the one time I've noticed that the government shutdown is when I went to check the National Weather Service. Other than that... nothing.

Official Troll Array title="The Patriot is a name known to all"> The Patriot's Avatar

I can't think of anything I've noticed out of the ordinary either. (lol) Can we keep this going? I hope we're not getting taxed.

I've definitely noticed the difference. The furlough of civil service employees here has slashed our manning almost in half, and the mission hasn't changed. Planes still have to fly. All it means is more work and longer hours for my guys here, so an already thinned out military unit is now having to work twice as hard

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Signs of a dictator

'Gestapo' tactics meet senior citizens at Yellowstone

NEWBURYPORT — Pat Vaillancourt went on a trip last week that was intended to showcase some of America’s greatest treasures.

Instead, the Salisbury resident said she and others on her tour bus witnessed an ugly spectacle that made her embarrassed, angry and heartbroken for her country.

Vaillancourt was one of thousands of people who found themselves in a national park as the federal government shutdown went into effect on Oct. 1. For many hours her tour group, which included senior citizen visitors from Japan, Australia, Canada and the United States, were locked in a Yellowstone National Park hotel under armed guard.

The tourists were treated harshly by armed park employees, she said, so much so that some of the foreign tourists with limited English skills thought they were under arrest.

When finally allowed to leave, the bus was not allowed to halt at all along the 2.5-hour trip out of the park, not even to stop at private bathrooms that were open along the route.

“We’ve become a country of fear, guns and control,” said Vaillancourt, who grew up in Lawrence. “It was like they brought out the armed forces. Nobody was saying, ‘we’re sorry,’ it was all like — ” as she clenched her fist and banged it against her forearm.

Vaillancourt took part in a nine-day tour of western parks and sites along with about four dozen senior citizen tourists. One of the highlights of the tour was to be Yellowstone, where they arrived just as the shutdown went into effect.

Rangers systematically sent visitors out of the park, though some groups that had hotel reservations — such as Vaillancourt’s — were allowed to stay for two days. Those two days started out on a sour note, she said.

The bus stopped along a road when a large herd of bison passed nearby, and seniors filed out to take photos. Almost immediately, an armed ranger came by and ordered them to get back in, saying they couldn’t “recreate.” The tour guide, who had paid a $300 fee the day before to bring the group into the park, argued that the seniors weren’t “recreating,” just taking photos.

“She responded and said, ‘Sir, you are recreating,’ and her tone became very aggressive,” Vaillancourt said.

The seniors quickly filed back onboard and the bus went to the Old Faithful Inn, the park’s premier lodge located adjacent to the park’s most famous site, Old Faithful geyser. That was as close as they could get to the famous site — barry-cades were erected around Old Faithful, and the seniors were locked inside the hotel, where armed rangers stayed at the door.

“They looked like Hulk Hogans, armed. They told us you can’t go outside,” she said. “Some of the Asians who were on the tour said, ‘Oh my God, are we under arrest?’ They felt like they were criminals.”

By Oct. 3 the park, which sees an average of 4,500 visitors a day, was nearly empty. The remaining hotel visitors were required to leave.

As the bus made its 2.5-hour journey out of Yellowstone, the tour guide made arrangements to stop at a full-service bathroom at an in-park dude ranch he had done business with in the past. Though the bus had its own small bathroom, Vaillancourt said seniors were looking for a more comfortable place to stop. But no stop was made — Vaillancourt said the dude ranch had been warned that its license to operate would be revoked if it allowed the bus to stop. So the bus continued on to Livingston, Mont., a gateway city to the park.

The bus trip made headlines in Livingston, where the local newspaper Livingston Enterprise interviewed the tour guide, Gordon Hodgson, who accused the park service of “Gestapo tactics.”

“The national parks belong to the people,” he told the Enterprise. “This isn’t right.”

Calls to Yellowstone’s communications office were not returned, as most of the personnel have been furloughed.

Many of the foreign visitors were shocked and dismayed by what had happened and how they were treated, Vaillancourt said.

“A lot of people who were foreign said they wouldn’t come back (to America),” she said.

The National Parks’ aggressive actions have spawned significant criticism in western states. Governors in park-rich states such as Arizona have been thwarted in their efforts to fund partial reopenings of parks. The Washington Times quoted an unnamed Park Service official who said park law enforcement personnel were instructed to “make life as difficult for people as we can. It’s disgusting.”

The experience brought up many feelings in Vaillancourt. What struck her most was a widely circulated story about a group of World War II veterans who were on a trip to Washington, D.C., to see the World War II memorial when the shutdown began. The memorial was barricaded and guards were posted, but the vets pushed their way in.

That reminded her of her father, a World War II veteran who spent three years in a Japanese prisoner of war camp.

“My father took a lot of crap from the Japanese,” she recalled, her eyes welling with tears. “Every day they made him bow to the Japanese flag. But he stood up to them.

“He always said to stand up for what you believe in, and don’t let them push you around,” she said, adding she was sad to see “fear, guns and control” turned on citizens in her own country.
    - See more at: http://www.eagletribune.com/local/x1....Df7XyzwU.dpuf

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Battleball Champion!

As bad as that is, I blame the park rangers. THEY choose to act that way.

I liken this to the guards at concentration camps. THEY chose to stand by and watch, well, these park employees are choosing to act the way they act.

I just hope if push comes to shove, the military don't take the stance of "I'm just doing my job".
    ― Clint Eastwood

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

But of course illegal, err, excuse me, "undocumented" immigrants will be permitted to hold their amnesty rally on the supposedly "closed" National Mall.

A planned immigration reform rally will take place on the National Mall on Tuesday even though the site is closed due to the government shutdown.

Organizers for the "Camino Americano: March for Immigration Reform" were spotted Monday setting up a stage and equipment on the National Mall for the rally which will take place on Tuesday.
    Park Service OKs immigration reform rally on 'closed' National Mall

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    But of course illegal, err, excuse me, "undocumented" immigrants will be permitted to hold their amnesty rally on the supposedly "closed" National Mall.

Park Service OKs immigration reform rally on 'closed' National Mall
    How about we call them "untaxed residents?" Could there possible be a more accurate name?

Quote Originally Posted by NJarhead View Post
    How about we call them "untaxed residents?" Could there possible be a more accurate name?
    Yes...Democrats

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

The idiots on both sides are killing the stock market. The idiots on the right are trying to replay the 2012 election. In the meantime, anybody trying to make a living is paying the price.

I am a Republican and card carrying member of the NRA. I say we raise the debt ceiling, wrap up the budget and move on. This is not the right place or time to fight it out. They are going to ruin Christmas again. I also noticed contributions to this forum are down and not meeting the minimum forecast.

It is slow everywhere and the nonsense from DC is killing two functioning markets, the stock market and housing. Job creation will take a dive too which will show up in next month's numbers.
    All Defense!

Hopeycare will take care of the jobs situation.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

All Defense!

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Screw the Shutdown . Here's a man mowing the lawn of the Lincoln memorial a few days ago

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    The idiots on both sides are killing the stock market. The idiots on the right are trying to replay the 2012 election. In the meantime, anybody trying to make a living is paying the price.

I am a Republican and card carrying member of the NRA. I say we raise the debt ceiling, wrap up the budget and move on. This is not the right place or time to fight it out. They are going to ruin Christmas again. I also noticed contributions to this forum are down and not meeting the minimum forecast.

It is slow everywhere and the nonsense from DC is killing two functioning markets, the stock market and housing. Job creation will take a dive too which will show up in next month's numbers.

Give Hopey everything he wants, and after it all crashes and burns hope there's something left to salvage? But more important hope the public has enough sense to see the mess was mostly of his making.

But sadly no matter how far down the path of ruin Obama takes this country he'll always find enough people willing to deflect blame elsewhere, insuring the death spiral will continue to the end.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Battleball Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Give Hopey everything he wants, and after it all crashes and burns hope there's something left to salvage? But more important hope the public has enough sense to see the mess was mostly of his making.

But sadly no matter how far down the path of ruin Obama takes this country he'll always find enough people willing to deflect blame elsewhere, insuring the death spiral will continue to the end.
    At one point I may have agreed, but if that were to happen, Obama would basically ruin this country thoroughly and people might become so dependent on him and his policies that he becomes a dictator.
    ― Clint Eastwood

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/09/us/fis...eath-benefits/

^ This is why the Fisher House Foundation is my favorite charitable organization and why I plug them every year around Veterans' Day. But having said that... I don't want anybody to forget what made it necessary.
    I get the politics of government funding squabbles and shutdowns. I don't like it, but I get it. But *this*... this is different. Some bureaucrat thought it was a good idea to mess with the widows of our soldiers who died in combat to make a political point. Some other bureaucrat signed off on it.
    Whoever did this needs tracked down and punished.
    This isn't something that's fair game like screwin' around with access to monuments or shutting down private businesses on Federal land. People went out and put their asses on the line for this government and the deal was that if anything happened to them, their families would be taken care of. This is a debt that anybody with a shred of decency understands must be paid. Not open to political posturing. Some woman's freakin' *husband* is coming home in a box because of this government, they owe her a flight out to meet him.

I'm beyond "vote them out" mad over this one.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

"A man's got to know his limitations."

http://video.foxnews.com/v/273568015...tary-families/

I'm obviously not a big Obama fan, but (assuming that what Carney is saying is true) I'll give him props for his response; "You have 24 hours to get this fixed". I personally would've added "before I personally find out what you've been using for brains".

The Pentagon comptroller is an ass. All the worrying about "whether the bill authorizes death benefits" is arrant bullshit. *Who's gonna complain if you just go ahead and freakin' do it*??

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

Being in the military like Hindes, we are actually both aircraft mechanics, I feel the effects of the government shutdown and it really chaps my ass. No, really, it chaps my ass. My squadron cannot buy toiletries, so we are having to bring our own TP at the moment. Supposedly that will all change next week, but we will see. As it stands/sits now, there are a lot of squishy cheeks in my squadron if they forgot to bring their own Charmin.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir