Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Government Shutdown Discussion .....

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Re: Government Shutdown Discussion .....

Hey Slash here's a quandary for you. Both Ron and Rand Paul endorsed Mitt Romney in the latest Presidential election. There's only two reasons I can think of they would have done so. 1. They thought he would make a better President than Obama. If this is the case this puts their opinion directly at odds with your own. Therefore when you mock those of us that supported Romney and believe he would have served this country better than Obama you're also questioning their judgement and rationality.

or

2. It was political horse trading with an eye to 2016 where Romney's endorsement of Rand could help in his(Rand's)quest to win the oval office.

In which case this pretty much means they aren't "above it" after all. Just a couple more politicians bartering their name for future favor.

either way your ideals are pretty much shot as far as these two are concerned.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Hey Slash, here's a red herring for you:

Why are you so afraid to discuss what's already on the table? Somewhere in your 2 hours of bloviating, you could've googled "Kentucky kickback". Have you "found the time" yet?

There are 2 groups of people in the Republican Party: Those who are willing to stand up for what they believe in and those that aren't. I'm with the first group and you're with the second. Your defense of the spineless and corrupt "insider" Republican party is not only pathetic, but irrational to boot. Your boys are losing elections and the ones who are left betray their own base and side with the liberals every chance they get.
    While you are, of course, free to support whoever you like and for whatever reason you like, I see no reason to join you. I'm sticking with the folks who are willing to fight.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Hey Slash, here's a red herring for you:

Why are you so afraid to discuss what's already on the table? Somewhere in your 2 hours of bloviating, you could've googled "Kentucky kickback". Have you "found the time" yet?

There are 2 groups of people in the Republican Party: Those who are willing to stand up for what they believe in and those that aren't. I'm with the first group and you're with the second. Your defense of the spineless and corrupt "insider" Republican party is not only pathetic, but irrational to boot. Your boys are losing elections and the ones who are left betray their own base and side with the liberals every chance they get.
    While you are, of course, free to support whoever you like and for whatever reason you like, I see no reason to join you. I'm sticking with the folks who are willing to fight.
    You couldn't answer my question so why the hell do I need to bother with you. Honestly I'm starting to think you're actually an Obama man looking to divide the Republican party from within. I mean look at you, never, nowhere do you blame Democrats for legislation they wrote and passed, it's always the GOP's fault. Yeah best way to deal with those Democrats is take actions that will insure they get more seats in both houses! Yeah great fucking plan!

- - - Updated - - -

One more time slash why did both Paul's endorse Romney? .

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

oh, I *could* answer your question, but I'm not gonna let you derail the discussion with your sad little red herrings. That's what you do every time you have no argument; chuck out red herrings and ad hominems. I'm not interested.

This is about actual *conservatives* (people who are willing to stand and fight for conservative principles) vs. partisan Republican RINOs (people who won't stand for anything because they're too skeered or corrupt to try). I'm in the former group. What about you?
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

oh, I *could* answer your question, but I'm not gonna let you derail the discussion with your sad little red herrings. That's what you do every time you have no argument; chuck out red herrings and ad hominems. I'm not interested.

This is about actual *conservatives* (people who are willing to stand and fight for conservative principles) vs. partisan Republican RINOs (people who won't stand for anything because they're too skeered or corrupt to try). I'm in the former group. What about you?
    Answer the question or STFU!

- - - Updated - - -

I could answer all of your questions, but you don't understand nuance, so what's the point? You and your hardcore 3% go makes yourself's feel important if that trips your trigger. But you accomplish nothing at the end of the day other than further the far left's agenda.

Dwinsgames

MOST politicians will " endorse " whomever they feel is going to win the nomination that closest fits their agenda and whom they can best work with to further their agenda ..... its politics so it is all about agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    MOST politicians will " endorse " whomever they feel is going to win the nomination that closest fits their agenda and whom they can best work with to further their agenda ..... its politics so it is all about agenda
    Yeah, that's fairly obvious. And guess what, the Paul's are politicians first and foremost. And the more power they attain they more they'd become so.

The pie in the sky notion that "my guy" is above all that, and wouldn't find it necessary to involve themselves in the game of quid pro quo if they gained more power is naive.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Yeah, that's fairly obvious. And guess what, the Paul's are politicians first and foremost. And the more power they attain they more they'd become so.

its not just the Pauls , its 99.99999% of them in public office , some just worse than others ....

I personally like Ron Paul a lot , Rand on the other hand not nearly as much ...

its high time we worry about what is needed here at home , and tell the rest of the world to kiss our ass and quit meddling in shit that does not concern us ....

My Dream Ticket would be Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter , but it is just a dream and will never happen .......

The pie in the sky notion that "my guy" is above all that, and wouldn't find it necessary to involve themselves in the game of quid pro quo if they gained more power is naive.
    It's just a little game of quid pro quo?? So you tell me what the Republicans got in exchange for raising the debt ceiling.
    "Quid pro quo" my ass...

I could answer all of your questions, but you don't understand nuance, so what's the point?
    "This is clearly a dull and uncultured youth who can't see the fine, delicate material of the Emperor's new robes"

And funny you should mention the "hardcore 3%". Last I checked, an overwhelming majority of Americans (including a plurality of *DEMOCRATS*) are against raising the debt ceiling without spending cuts. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...58-503544.html
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...debt-vote.html

Meanwhile, the number of people who actually approve of the job Congress is doing is hovering around 10%. http://www.pollingreport.com/CongJob.htm

And I'm supposed to be representative of the fringe minority??

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

The republican party has no idea what the republican party stands for anymore, the only thing they are going on right now is they are against anything Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    The republican party has no idea what the republican party stands for anymore, the only thing they are going on right now is they are against anything Obama.
    Not so. They all know what the party stands for. The problem is that those in control of it won't.

Not so. They all know what the party stands for. The problem is that those in control of it won't.
    Won't what? what do they stand for? I know what they have traditionally stood for, but I am talking about now.

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

That's because the Democrats don't think for themselves and march in lockstep. The Republicans are broken up into factions with sharp disagreements on the best course for the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    That's because the Democrats don't think for themselves and march in lockstep. The Republicans are broken up into factions with sharp disagreements on the best course for the country.
    That's a sweeping statement and is completely false. Are there uninformed people in this country? Yes absolutely but that could be said for any political party.

Won't what? what do they stand for? I know what they have traditionally stood for, but I am talking about now.
    What they're *supposed* to stand for is reduced Federal authority, balanced budgets, and adherence to the Constitution. They all *claim* to be for it. The problem is that only half of them are willing to actually do that and the half that's not willing is in charge.

This sets up an internal rift in the Republican party that Godfather mentions, and it must be resolved; do we want a Republican party that fights for their stated goals or a Republican party that goes along to get along with Democrats?

The concept of labeling somebody who wants the Republican Party to actually stand up for it's principles as "an Obama man looking to divide the Republican party from within" is as absurd as labeling someone who complains about the performance of the Steelers' O- line as a "closet Browns supporter looking to divide Steeler Nation".

- - - Updated - - -

That's a sweeping statement and is completely false. Are there uninformed people in this country? Yes absolutely but that could be said for any political party.
    I think he's referring to the elected Dem representatives, which is reasonably accurate IMO. The Dem legislators are told what to say and how to vote from the top down, and there's very little disagreement there. Not so in the Republican Party, where you have several factions at odds with each other.

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

... sez SC at the moment where vets are in DC getting pummeled by riot cops.

Methinks thou dost ... well, you know the rest
    /carry on, Sir...
    I am a ranger? Really, coming from the keyboard commando? You are a pretty brazen individual behind the keyboard, but I have yet to hear about you doing anything on the front lines. As for the vets being pummeled in DC by riot cops, please post a link, and then why don't "YOU" go do something about it? Oh, that is right, you are too much of SISSY to do anything yourself. You post online about "how right you are" and then run and play World of Warcraft or attend the local Bronie convention. Please, you criticize me for not being in DC to stand up for the Vets being "pummeled", but where are you? Seriously, where are you? You want to jump on my case for not being there but I am still serving, so why aren't you there? Don't criticize someone for not doing something when you aren't willing to do the same!

I have served, am serving, and will continue to serve, where are you? Oh, that is right, being the self righteous know it all prick! Oh, I forgot, you mentioned that you served in the Navy, whoopee. What are you doing now? Are you sticking up for the vets in DC? Probably not because that would mean face to face, not key stroke to key stroke, confrontation.

Step up! I have and I still do!
    /carry on, Sir.....oh wait, Sir is reserved for a person of character....carry on......
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir

^ This is awesome!
    / seriously... what's a "Bronie"?

By the way, someone needs to find me the post where I expressed any admiration for Boehner? I couldn't give a fuck for him one way or the other. My issue however is with those placing the blame exclusively on the GOP, somehow absolving the President completely of blame? Shutdowns have been happening for years, but never one like this. Hopey is the one who took hostages and shot them by the day. Why? Because he could. He wanted it to hurt because he knows he's teflon to the mainstream press. Because a lame duck Obama is going to shove every bit of his agenda that he can down our throats, because the press will let him, and he really doesn't care who gets hurt as long as his agenda is furthered. Stand in his way and the mainstream press paints you as obstructionist, you're the villain. Hell you're even labeled a racist. So in the end all you do is strengthen his hand. So why the hell not walk away with a consolation prize if you can? You were never going to win. The longer you hold out the more seats the Democrats will gain.

Regardless the damage was done when Obama was reelected. Anyone who espouses conservative beliefs who considered his reelection anything other than disastrous is out of their mind. Anyone who considered Romney as bad or worse was sadly mistaken and it's that mistake that brought us to where we are today.

We know the Pauls weren't that naive or stupid anyway.

If Romney had been elected President Slash's view of America certainly wouldn't have come to fruition. But neither would Obama's, and for that we all would have been better off.
    Last edited by zulater; 10-20-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by SCSTILLER View Post
    I am a ranger? Really, coming from the keyboard commando? You are a pretty brazen individual behind the keyboard, but I have yet to hear about you doing anything on the front lines. As for the vets being pummeled in DC by riot cops, please post a link, and then why don't "YOU" go do something about it? Oh, that is right, you are too much of SISSY to do anything yourself. You post online about "how right you are" and then run and play World of Warcraft or attend the local Bronie convention. Please, you criticize me for not being in DC to stand up for the Vets being "pummeled", but where are you? Seriously, where are you? You want to jump on my case for not being there but I am still serving, so why aren't you there? Don't criticize someone for not doing something when you aren't willing to do the same!

I have served, am serving, and will continue to serve, where are you? Oh, that is right, being the self righteous know it all prick! Oh, I forgot, you mentioned that you served in the Navy, whoopee. What are you doing now? Are you sticking up for the vets in DC? Probably not because that would mean face to face, not key stroke to key stroke, confrontation.

Step up! I have and I still do!
    /carry on, Sir.....oh wait, Sir is reserved for a person of character....carry on......
    someone should have warned Slash you do not mess with tri county folks (Lawrence , Butler and Beaver County that is ) as most of us have that Mike Ditka attitude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNItlRhixkg
    Last edited by Dwinsgames; 10-20-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    someone should have warned Slash you do not mess with tri county folks (Lawrence , Butler and Beaver County that is ) as most of us have that Mike Ditka attitude
    I'm still chuckling over that tirade. Wildly off the mark and 100% personal attack, but still funny.

@Zu:
    Uhh... yeah. Nobody ever blames the opposing team for trying to win. They blame the home team for *not* trying to win. Which is precisely what you and your "go along to get along" ilk have been doing.
    / not only *not* trying to win, but actively collaborating with them.
    //still don't know what a "bronie" is...

Dwinsgames

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bronie

I'm still chuckling over that tirade. Wildly off the mark and 100% personal attack, but still funny.

@Zu:
    Uhh... yeah. Nobody ever blames the opposing team for trying to win. They blame the home team for *not* trying to win. Which is precisely what you and your "go along to get along" ilk have been doing.
    / not only *not* trying to win, but actively collaborating with them.
    //still don't know what a "bronie" is...

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

By the way, someone needs to find me the post where I expressed any admiration for Boehner? I couldn't give a fuck for him one way or the other. My issue however is with those placing the blame exclusively on the GOP, somehow absolving the President completely of blame? Shutdowns have been happening for years, but never one like this. Hopey is the one who took hostages and shot them by the day. Why? Because he could. He wanted it to hurt because he knows he's teflon to the mainstream press. Because a lame duck Obama is going to shove every bit of his agenda that he can down our throats, because the press will let him, and he really doesn't care who gets hurt as long as his agenda is furthered. Stand in his way and the mainstream press paints you as obstructionist, you're the villain. Hell you're even labeled a racist. So in the end all you do is strengthen his hand. So why the hell not walk away with a consolation prize if you can?
    If there had been no resistance and the shutdown had not occurred, what consolation prize would Republicans have walked away with?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    If there had been no resistance and the shutdown had not occurred, what consolation prize would Republicans have walked away with?
    At best maybe retain a few more seats in both houses at midterms. I don't have any problem with the initial resistance, nor do I have a problem with when they ducked out. Obama doesn't fight fair and the press doesn't hold him accountable for the damage he intentionally inflicts. So I don't really see any favorable outcome for the GOP here. Again the monster was created when Obama was given a lame duck term.

At this point you just have to hope the voting public holds the right people responsible if the result's of Obama's agenda go as bad as we think they will. But with his allies in the press diverting the blame everywhere else chances are that wont happen.

Look I get that every candidate from your party wont confirm to your exact ideals. But if you only vote for the perfect Republican all you're going to get in the end is a super majority of Democrats in both houses and an increasingly liberal occupant of the oval office.

As far as "bronie" perhaps that's some sort of slang for cabrón?
    Last edited by zulater; 10-21-2013 at 09:29 AM.

At best maybe retain a few more seats in both houses at midterms. I don't have any problem with the initial resistance, nor do I have a problem with when they ducked out. Obama doesn't fight fair and the press doesn't hold him accountable for the damage he intentionally inflicts. So I don't really see any favorable outcome for the GOP here. Again the monster was created when Obama was given a lame duck term.

At this point you just have to hope the voting public holds the right people responsible if the result's of Obama's agenda go as bad as we think they will. But with his allies in the press diverting the blame everywhere else chances are that wont happen.
    Except that's not actually true. The idea that gridlock in Congress costs Republicans seats is a manufactured media narrative that is taken seriously by people who really ought to know better. That may be why you endorse such actions, but that's not why the politicians are doing it.

Look I get that every candidate from your party wont confirm to your exact ideals. But if you only vote for the perfect Republican all you're going to get in the end is a super majority of Democrats in both houses and an increasingly liberal occupant of the oval office.
    They weren't sent there to campaign for their reelection, they were sent there to represent their constituents. It's not unreasonable to demand that.

As far as "bronie" perhaps that's some sort of slang for cabrón?
    Nope. If that were the case, it wouldn't be the first time. I've been called everything from a white supremacist to a communist at some point or another, but I've never been called a "male 'My Little Pony' fanboy" before. Bonus points for originality

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

At best maybe retain a few more seats in both houses at midterms.
    Keeping the status quo doesn't sound like much of a consolation prize. Shouldn't the goal be to represent the people they were elected to represent and do the things they were elected to do? We don't elect people and send them to Washington to serve the Republican party.

I don't have any problem with the initial resistance, nor do I have a problem with when they ducked out. Obama doesn't fight fair and the press doesn't hold him accountable for the damage he intentionally inflicts. So I don't really see any favorable outcome for the GOP here. Again the monster was created when Obama was given a lame duck term.
    Obama was starting to take heat for some of his petty tactics like closing the memorials and parks and stopping military death benefits. The longer the budget battle dragged on, he would have gotten even more desperate and petty. If the establishment Republicans had presented a united front instead of working to sabotage the resistance, things might have worked out differently. Even if they didn't agree with the tactic, they should have stood by their fellow Republicans, and do what they were elected to do, instead of surrendering on Day 1. Whether it's right or wrong to enter into a war, once you're in, you have to fight to win it.

Once Obamacare goes into full effect and more people start waking up to the fact that it's a bad law, it no longer matters because there's no reversing it at that point.

Establishment Republicans have been "compromising" and surrendering to the Democrats for five years. What has it gotten them? More importantly, what has it gotten us?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    Keeping the status quo doesn't sound like much of a consolation prize. Shouldn't the goal be to represent the people they were elected to represent and do the things they were elected to do? We don't elect people and send them to Washington to serve the Republican party.

Obama was starting to take heat for some of his petty tactics like closing the memorials and parks and stopping military death benefits. The longer the budget battle dragged on, he would have gotten even more desperate and petty. If the establishment Republicans had presented a united front instead of working to sabotage the resistance, things might have worked out differently. Even if they didn't agree with the tactic, they should have stood by their fellow Republicans, and do what they were elected to do, instead of surrendering on Day 1. Whether it's right or wrong to enter into a war, once you're in, you have to fight to win it.

Once Obamacare goes into full effect and more people start waking up to the fact that it's a bad law, it no longer matters because there's no reversing it at that point.

Establishment Republicans have been "compromising" and surrendering to the Democrats for five years. What has it gotten them? More importantly, what has it gotten us?

I'm a realist. I don't pretend that perfect politicians exist. The only thing that separates the pure candidate from the taint of incumbency is incumbency. To me this is like the guy who moralizes about Tiger Woods extramarital affairs, when the only difference between Tiger and the average husband was opportunity.

And I don't think wObama gives a damn who he hurts or how long things dragged on because he's won the last election he's ever going to be in. And while his numbers were dropping the GOP's numbers were dropping even worse. He was never going to blink, and the majority of people who ride his pole were never going to hold him accountable.

And laws can be changed. 55 mph speed limit, gone. 18 year old legal drinking age. Gone. The affordable health care act can be repealed or amended.

And lastly an Obama second term, what has that got you?

Bad Republicans will serve this country better than average Democrats. That's what I think. You want me to support your line of thinking, your politicians? Win some fucking primaries. You put your guy on the ballot one on one against a Democrat I'm right there with ya.

But if your kind of Republican can't form enough of a consensus to pass an anti smoking ordinance in a gunpowder factory don't go trying to sabotage the ones who did manage to get themselves in office or on a general election ballot because they're not perfect.

Except that's not actually true. The idea that gridlock in Congress costs Republicans seats is a manufactured media narrative that is taken seriously by people who really ought to know better. That may be why you endorse such actions, but that's not why the politicians are doing it.

They weren't sent there to campaign for their reelection, they were sent there to represent their constituents. It's not unreasonable to demand that.

Nope. If that were the case, it wouldn't be the first time. I've been called everything from a white supremacist to a communist at some point or another, but I've never been called a "male 'My Little Pony' fanboy" before. Bonus points for originality

The cabron I'm talking about is the one's the Mexicans jokingly ( and sometimes not so much) toss around to each other. Kind of like m'f'er. Just a guess? I think it sort of fits into the context of how it was used.

I'm a realist. I don't pretend that perfect politicians exist.
    I agree that there's no perfect politician. You're never going to find anyone you agree with 100 percent of the time. No one is going to make the right decisions 100 percent of the time. I think it's important to choose candidates who stand by their principles and do what they say they're going to do, and won't focus primarily on their own re-election.

To me this is like the guy who moralizes about Tiger Woods extramarital affairs, when the only difference between Tiger and the average husband was opportunity.
    I get what you're saying here, but I disagree. It's not about opportunity ... it's about character. Unlike Tiger, there are plenty of men who remain faithful to their wives even when given the opportunity to stray. Opportunity doesn't exist just for the rich and famous. All you have to do is go to your local bar and you'll find opportunity. Sure, people who are rich and famous are presented with more opportunity than the average person, but there's still plenty of those guys who remain faithful. It's about character.

The same applies to politicians. When they go to Washington, there's opportunity for wealth and power. Most of them, just as Tiger did, take advantage of the opportunity, but some do have good character and remain faithful to the people who elected them.

And laws can be changed. 55 mph speed limit, gone. 18 year old legal drinking age. Gone. The affordable health care act can be repealed or amended.
    Come on, zu ... changing the speed limit isn't quite the same as trying to repeal a law like Obamacare when, once it's in effect, will be like trying to end Social Security or Medicare.

You want me to support your line of thinking, your politicians? Win some fucking primaries.
    "My politicians" aren't going to win any primaries as long as the majority of registered Republicans refuse to wake up and keep voting for the same ol' establishment candidates. But I recognize the fact that change doesn't happen overnight ... it's going to take time. You and I usually agree on end results; we just sometimes disagree on how to get there. I'll keep working on you.

"My politicians" aren't going to win any primaries as long as the majority of registered Republicans refuse to wake up and keep voting for the same ol' establishment candidates. But I recognize the fact that change doesn't happen overnight ... it's going to take time.
    There's a whole slew of "my politicians" who have won their primaries and general elections, despite all the roadblocks that Zu's "establishment" party has thrown their way, and I'm sure there are plenty more to follow. As you said, it takes time.

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

Are there uninformed people in this country? Yes absolutely
    Tempting...
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall