Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Government Shutdown Discussion .....

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: Government Shutdown Discussion .....

Quote Originally Posted by SCSTILLER View Post
    Being in the military like Hindes, we are actually both aircraft mechanics, I feel the effects of the government shutdown and it really chaps my ass. No, really, it chaps my ass. My squadron cannot buy toiletries, so we are having to bring our own TP at the moment. Supposedly that will all change next week, but we will see. As it stands/sits now, there are a lot of squishy cheeks in my squadron if they forgot to bring their own Charmin.
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but there are people over in the sandbox who would happily trade places with you.
    There's no threat to this country that can be brought to bear against this country by any aircraft or Mujaheddin that's anywhere near as grave as the threat of our own government spending us into bankruptcy.
    I know it sucks, but you're just gonna have to ride it out.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but there are people over in the sandbox who would happily trade places with you.
    There's no threat to this country that can be brought to bear against this country by any aircraft or Mujaheddin that's anywhere near as grave as the threat of our own government spending us into bankruptcy.
    I know it sucks, but you're just gonna have to ride it out.
    Yeah, I know, I have been one of them before! I have shit in holes, taken Igloo showers, and smelled like jet fuel for days. I may not have ever been shot at, but I do understand the hardships that my brothers/sisters in arms face while in the AOR, missing the simple things in life, and missing family birthdays, holidays, and just missing a bbq! I am not trying to make it sound like I am suffering by any means, I will gladly bring my own shitter paper to work! And thank you for telling me "I will just have to ride it out."

Now, if I may speak without being told what to do and how others are suffering. I was only mentioning one of the things that we "at home" are dealing with due to the government shutdown. Some have mentioned they see no difference, but others do, and sometimes the simple things are shitty < get it?
    Last edited by SCSTILLER; 10-11-2013 at 10:09 PM.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SCSTILLER View Post
    I am not trying to make it sound like I am suffering by any means, I will gladly bring my own shitter paper to work!
    Oh, you aren't? I must've misread your previous post, 'cuz it sure looked like it to me.
    In that case, my apologies...
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

‘As Lincoln cries’: Lincoln Memorial visitors breach Barrycades, get tossed out by Park Police

http://twitchy.com/2013/10/12/as-lin...k-police-pics/

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

Oh, you aren't? I must've misread your previous post, 'cuz it sure looked like it to me.
    In that case, my apologies...
    You know what Slash, you can take your half hearted apology and shove it where..........well, you know the rest!

Sorry Mods!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir

... sez SC at the moment where vets are in DC getting pummeled by riot cops.

Methinks thou dost ... well, you know the rest
    /carry on, Sir...

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

I don't get it, if the government can "pay workers" while it's shutdown, why can't they pay whatever bills that need paid in order to keep from defaulting?

Seriously, they are still taking in as much money now as before, so keep it shutdown and just pay the damn bills. I don't understand.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Dwinsgames

Dwinsgames

Secure Our Freedom

I am borrowing this post from our friends over at the Frontiersmen Network.

This posting is 100% accurate and should send chills up and down your spine!

Ray Allen
    Non Sibi Sed Patriae {not for self, for country}
    East Region/Personnel Director
    Secure Our Freedom

Like/Share ---> www.facebook.com/secureourfreedom

Visit/Register ---> www.secureourfreedom.net

Join-----> www.secureourfreedom.net/forum

Ohio Frontiersmen posted to The Frontiersmen Network
    ATTENTION EVERYONE
    I want to let everyone know what we have been talking about for over a year now. We were told directly by FEMA officials that when the debt reaches 17 Trillion, it will be the beginning of the end of the Treasury Bond Market. This will cause massive panic and civil unrest which the federal government knows about and is preparing for. The FEMA Camps you heard so much about will be used as emergency shelters and food distribution during this crisis.

We shared this information with people for a year now. And many of us have been watching the Debt Clock closely. Those who have know they are manipulating the clock as it hovered just under 17 trillion and then back down again over the past 6 months or so. They do not let it reach that 17 trillion "red line" we have heard about. But it will soon.

When that happens, we were told the bond holders will step away from the US Treasuries and will spark a sell off that will end in disaster. Coincidentally here we are at the cusp of that red line and the economic stability of the US is now in question. This to me, solidifies the accuracy of the info that was given to us. It is planned, and expected. They have stocked up on supplies and purchased equipment to handle the unrest. Soon they will implement it.

I URGE everyone to pay close attention to economic news. When you hear of a sell off of the Treasuries (or a downgrade of the US credit rating), do not wait to see what happens. Get your last minute supplies immediately because it will become exponentially worse as the days go on. Government handouts will end, government housing will end, and the 'gates of hell' shall be unleashed in the cities. One only needs to watch what happened Saturday when the EBT system went down for a few hours to get a sense of what is coming.

For nearly 5 years our mission was to rally friends and families together to sustain themselves during this and other disasters. Those who have been part of the Frontiersmen are as prepared as we can be - I suggest those who are not ready for this sort of emergency, to get busy now making plans.

Battleball Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    .[/h]
    Color me silly, but I don't believe it. Not that it's impossible, just improbable.
    ― Clint Eastwood

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    Color me silly, but I don't believe it. Not that it's impossible, just improbable.
    I do not proclaim to " know" one way or the other , however to not at the very least consider it and be aware of the possibilities IMO would be unwise ... be alert , pay attention and get prepared just in case

I hope all you folks take a good hard look at the Republicans who voted to raise the debt ceiling. As I always say, having an (R) after their name doesn't mean they're "conservative".

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I do not proclaim to " know" one way or the other , however to not at the very least consider it and be aware of the possibilities IMO would be unwise ... be alert , pay attention and get prepared just in case
    Well, it'll hit 17 trillion in the next few days, guess we'll find out

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I hope all you folks take a good hard look at the Republicans who voted to raise the debt ceiling. As I always say, having an (R) after their name doesn't mean they're "conservative".
    They were in a no win situation. The longer the shutdown dragged on the stronger Obama was getting. The GOP was painted as the villian and this will probably already cost the Republicans seats in both houses in the mid term elections.

You're the one who has no business pointing fingers. You and those like you who refused to support Romney's Presidential bid assured Obama would hold enough cards to rake in every pot in the end. Had Romney been elected things wouldn't be half as bad as they are now. And the worst part is we've only got to the tip of the ice berg. Once Obama care takes full effect it will get worse. Much worse. Those of you that pretended and fooled yourself into believing that a Romney Presidency would be just as bad as Obama's reelection can now take your bows. This one's on you as much as anyone.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Battleball Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    They were in a no win situation. The longer the shutdown dragged on the stronger Obama was getting. The GOP was painted as the villian and this will probably already cost the Republicans seats in both houses in the mid term elections.

You're the one who has no business pointing fingers. You and those like you who refused to support Romney's Presidential bid assured Obama would hold enough cards to rake in every pot in the end. Had Romney been elected things wouldn't be half as bad as they are now. And the worst part is we've only got to the tip of the ice berg. Once Obama care takes full effect it will get worse. Much worse. Those of you that pretended and fooled yourself into believing that a Romney Presidency would be just as bad as Obama's reelection can now take your bows. This one's on you as much as anyone.
    I agree totally. I also agree with not wanting the "status quo" which is what both parties offer, but I as I said during the election, wait until a republican is in office before going off the reservation.

I'm voting for Rand Paul in '16. I'm so sick and tired of the politicians that get elected, they are all mirror images of one another and bend to which ever direction the money is blowing. Makes me sick.

Rand Paul may not be better, but he certainly won't be worse. I REALLY hope he wins the primaries.
    ― Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    I agree totally. I also agree with not wanting the "status quo" which is what both parties offer, but I as I said during the election, wait until a republican is in office before going off the reservation.

I'm voting for Rand Paul in '16. I'm so sick and tired of the politicians that get elected, they are all mirror images of one another and bend to which ever direction the money is blowing. Makes me sick.

Rand Paul may not be better, but he certainly won't be worse. I REALLY hope he wins the primaries.
    I'm very interested to see how Rand Paul comes through the primaries. He's got some good ideas. But is he electable? Is any non Democrat anymore? Like it or not Romney was 100% accurate about Obama's core 47%. That's a hard number to overcome.

Precisely the attitude that perpetuates this mess. Why stick to your guns and do anything effective if it might cost you seats?

The People didn't send these wusses to Washington to win mid- terms, they sent them to walk their talk. But hey, I'm sure you and Boehner would get along famously.

What the heck makes you think anybody wants to vote for representatives who are too cowardly to stand for anything? Have you *seriously* not figured out yet that that's a losing proposition?

Precisely the attitude that perpetuates this mess. Why stick to your guns and do anything effective if it might cost you seats?

The People didn't send these wusses to Washington to win mid- terms, they sent them to walk their talk. But hey, I'm sure you and Boehner would get along famously.

Right back at ya.

Thanks for Obama.

What the heck makes you think anybody wants to vote for representatives who are too cowardly to stand for anything? Have you *seriously* not figured out yet that that's a losing proposition?
    You going to hold your breath until everyone does it your way, or you going to take over the government by force? Because you're not going to ever get the votes to effect the change you endorse. .

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

I agree with the sentiment, but there's something to be said for choosing your battles wisely. A better strategy would have been to simply include a provision that prevented the individual mandate from being enforced as long as the employer mandate was waived. Very simple, bumper sticker sized talking point. It would be a "clean" bill because the mandate has been ruled a tax. And the D's would be shutting down the government for no other reason than to preserve a tax hike on the 99 percenters. This would have been happening at the same time people were getting slammed with huge premium increases and witnessing the disastrous rollout of the exchanges. The Jackasses would have lost the PR battle and had to surrender, and the elephant men would have an important symbolic victory and momentum.

You going to hold your breath until everyone does it your way, or you going to take over the government by force? Because you're not going to ever get the votes to effect the change you endorse. .
    How the Hell would *you* know what will get votes? You seem to have selective amnesia as to whether the media is telling the truth or not.

The choice the rest of us are left with is socialists vs slimeballs who are too corrupt and cowardly to stand up to socialists.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I agree with the sentiment, but there's something to be said for choosing your battles wisely.
    Well- stated, and I agree. Obamacare should never have been the focal point. It should have been about balancing the budget.
    But having found ourselves in *this* battle, getting bought off was the worst possible outcome. The one bright side is that we see who's serious and who's all talk.

How the Hell would *you* know what will get votes? You seem to have selective amnesia as to whether the media is telling the truth or not.

The choice the rest of us are left with is socialists vs slimeballs who are too corrupt and cowardly to stand up to socialists.

- - - Updated - - -

More important, I know what doesn't get votes. I know what isn't electable in a national election. I know that settling for 50- 60% of what you want is better than insisting on 100% and getting zero.

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

As I always say, having an (R) after their name doesn't mean they're "conservative".
    Considering what you believe conservatism is I'm rather relieved that you feel that way.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

More important, I know what doesn't get votes. I know what isn't electable in a national election. I know that settling for 50- 60% of what you want is better than insisting on 100% and getting zero.
    As if *that's* what happened here? Looks to me like the Republicans that follow your philosophy insisted on 50% and walked away with nothing.

^ ... well, not "nothing", exactly. Mitch McConnell got 3 billion in pork. I'm sure you're quite proud...

http://thehill.com/blogs/transportat...t-deal-earmark

And AFA what's "electable" in a national election and what's not, Umm... Mitt Romney? John McCain?
    Last edited by GoSlash27; 10-18-2013 at 08:39 AM.

^ ... well, not "nothing", exactly. Mitch McConnell got 3 billion in pork. I'm sure you're quite proud...

http://thehill.com/blogs/transportat...t-deal-earmark

And AFA what's "electable" in a national election and what's not, Umm... Mitt Romney? John McCain?
    Didn't bother with your link. Short on time, and don't really trust anything you put up to be objective.

Regardless, better than your pipe dream candidates who can't win a single primary.

As if *that's* what happened here? Looks to me like the Republicans that follow your philosophy insisted on 50% and walked away with nothing.

That's because people such as yourself gave Obama all the power he needs. Again the longer the shutdown dragged on the more seats the Republicans were going to lose, thus the greater Obama's power becomes. While it's true Obama's numbers were dropping they weren't dropping at even close to the same rate the GOP's numbers have. Right now the american electorate view the GOP as obstinate, self absorbed, and obstructionist. We're very close to the Democrats controlling both houses and the executive branch. God only knows what they'll do once they achieve that.

Google "Kentucky kickback" and feel free to pick whatever source you like. You know... whenever you "have time"...

Regardless, better than your pipe dream candidates who can't win a single primary.
    Uh... *how*, exactly? How are spineless corrupt weasels who lose general elections any better than principled candidates who lose primaries? I think we all need an explanation on that one.

Google "Kentucky kickback" and feel free to pick whatever source you like. You know... whenever you "have time"...

Uh... *how*, exactly? How are spineless corrupt weasels who lose general elections any better than principled candidates who lose primaries? I think we all need an explanation on that one.
    History tells us that un- corrupted outsiders only need to gain power to became the same "corrupt weasels" they replace.

So by your estimation there's only corrupt people and people who aren't corrupt yet. There's half of your "logic". And the other half?
    / seems you've got more time than you claimed.