Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Few Positives right now, but Le'Veon Bell looks like the Real Deal

Dwinsgames

Re: Few Positives right now, but Le'Veon Bell looks like the Real Deal

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    By the way the people who graded Pouncey as the 16th best center last year also had Heath Miller pretty low as a blocker relative to the league's other tight ends. So I'd take what they say with a grain of salt.

what hurt Millers blocking stats is often times he got isolated on the oppositions DE because Gilbert and or Adams took the wrong man by cutting inside to help the guard and left Miller 1 on 1 vs a DE whereas he should have been there in a support role not a primary role as the blocker ...

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    what hurt Millers blocking stats is often times he got isolated on the oppositions DE because Gilbert and or Adams took the wrong man by cutting inside to help the guard and left Miller 1 on 1 vs a DE whereas he should have been there in a support role not a primary role as the blocker ...
    When the line hit's it's apex last season, Pouncey was playing as good as at any time in his career. Then the injury bug hit, they moved him to guard for a game, and the line never get back it's rhythm. And Pouncey's play suffered as those around him struggled.

But this shit that Pouncey is overrated or average is laughable. I suggest those who thinks so subscribe to NFL rewind and isolate on Pouncey's play games 2-8 last year. Then come back and talk.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

The thing is if you know what you're doing you can make a line out of untalented castoff's. Look at Seattle yesterday, 3 starting o-linemen missed the game yet they somehow managed not to embarrasses themselves.

The point being ( which you're well aware of) it's as much about who's picking the talent and coaching the talent as the talent itself. The point was made about Beachum earlier, why isn't he playing when he's grading out higher on film than the other tackles? Because the other guys are 2nd round draft picks and Beachum was a 7th rounder. They want to prove themselves right in their draft evaluation rather than field the best possible football team.
    Exactly. Seattle's team is coached far better than the Steelers.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="blackngldblood has a spectacular aura about"> blackngldblood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    To think that the sleez bag Carrol and his staff are better off than Tomlin and co. makes me want to slit my wrists. If there is one coach in this league that I despise more than Jon Haurhaurhaur its that walking talking douchebag straight out of a cinemax skin flick. But I digress.........

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Even I, the head homer, am not real happy with this staff.

AML

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackngldblood View Post
    To think that the sleez bag Carrol and his staff are better off than Tomlin and co. makes me want to slit my wrists. If there is one coach in this league that I despise more than Jon Haurhaurhaur its that walking talking douchebag straight out of a cinemax skin flick. But I digress.........

Why is that? Just curious. He's done a pretty good job with Seattle since taking over.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I second, third, and whatever your and Zu's opinion on this. Seattle is a great example of where you can see good coaching vs. (our) bad coaching. Another good example is Denver. Clady, who we would give Ben's first born to have, is out, which could have been a devastating loss, but the coaches (and Manning of course) don't just say stupid stuff like, "next man up," they actually deliver. Same in New England with their injuries. Their coach doesn't just throw out platitudes. He puts his team in position to win every week.

I think good coaching could turn this line around. They might even get better on their own as the season goes on, because God knows they can't get any worse. But having Tomlin and co. Just draft replacements isn't going to do it. Good coaches take 1st and 2nd round picks and actually make them better.

I know we aren't going to fire Tomlin after this season no matter how bad we do, and maybe that's for the best all things considered, but there is a decent chance we'll get rid of Haley and the O-line coach. I think we should actually take our high draft picks next year and concentrate on defense (an inside backer, corner, and safety) and let a better coach teach our O-line how to improve.

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

Bell ran well. But he needs to learn how to block.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    Bell ran well. But he needs to learn how to block.
    Block? He was good in pass protection

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    Block? He was good in pass protection
    Then you weren't watching. I have no complaints about his play outside of his blocking, I think he played very well all things considered. But he was poor in that area. It's why Jonathan Dwyer was brought into the game late when we were trying to pass our way back. I expect Bell to improve in this area in coming weeks as he looks like a very accomplished player already. But it wasn't where it needed to be yesterday.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Then you weren't watching. I have no complaints about his play outside of his blocking, I think he played very well all things considered. But he was poor in that area. It's why Jonathan Dwyer was brought into the game late when we were trying to pass our way back. I expect Bell to improve in this area in coming weeks as he looks like a very accomplished player already. But it wasn't where it needed to be yesterday.

No way bell was in there on both of the last two drives and he was in most of the game I cant think of one instance where he missed a block or blitz pick up.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Even I, the head homer, am not real happy with this staff.
    Same here. I've been one of Tomlin's biggest defenders, but I can't defend 0-4 for the first time since I was in diapers. Even the Mark Malone/Walter Abercrombie-led teams of the miserable mid-1980s didn't start 0-4.

Senior Member Array title="blackngldblood has a spectacular aura about"> blackngldblood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Why is that? Just curious. He's done a pretty good job with Seattle since taking over.
    It goes back to his days at USC. I've never been a fan of his. He pretty much put the screws to USC and bolted. Just don't like the guy.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Dwyer was brought in to keep Bell's reps from getting too high. You don't want a guy coming in off an injury and playing every snap. They did the same thing with Heath Miller the week before. I didn't notice Bell's blocking one way or the other and doubt that had anything to do with his temporary removal from the game.

Dwyer was brought in to keep Bell's reps from getting too high. You don't want a guy coming in off an injury and playing every snap. They did the same thing with Heath Miller the week before. I didn't notice Bell's blocking one way or the other and doubt that had anything to do with his temporary removal from the game.
    It was extremely noticeable that Bell was removed from passing downs in the second half. Certainly they weren't going to leave the kid in there all game either way, but I have no doubt his lack of protection played a role in that. He was poor all game. Not that it mattered much, since Mike Adams was single handedly handing Ben over on a silver platter. But if we're expecting Bell to be more than a ball carrier he has to improve his blocking. He seemed to be in position to step up and handle the defender but then he'd just crumble. I'm sure the team is addressing it this week and based on what I saw from Bell as far as physical tools go this past week I don't expect he'll have much issue improving as he gains experience. But he was poor in that area Sunday. If you won't take my word for it and are interested enough to do so, I urge you to fast forward to some of the passing plays Bell was in the backfield for. If you can keep your eyes off of the flurry of activity that occurred in front of Mike Adams immediately off every snap, I'm confident you'd agree with me.

It was extremely noticeable that Bell was removed from passing downs in the second half. Certainly they weren't going to leave the kid in there all game either way, but I have no doubt his lack of protection played a role in that. He was poor all game. Not that it mattered much, since Mike Adams was single handedly handing Ben over on a silver platter. But if we're expecting Bell to be more than a ball carrier he has to improve his blocking. He seemed to be in position to step up and handle the defender but then he'd just crumble. I'm sure the team is addressing it this week and based on what I saw from Bell as far as physical tools go this past week I don't expect he'll have much issue improving as he gains experience. But he was poor in that area Sunday. If you won't take my word for it and are interested enough to do so, I urge you to fast forward to some of the passing plays Bell was in the backfield for. If you can keep your eyes off of the flurry of activity that occurred in front of Mike Adams immediately off every snap, I'm confident you'd agree with me.
    Cant't be, bell played 60 of the 79 snaps and we threw the ball 51 times. Dwyer and jones were put in to simply give him a breather, and bell was good in pass protection.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I, like some of the other guys, didn't really notice Bells pass protection, but then it was difficult to see who's man actually got to Ben, to many to count. I didn't notice either that Bell was pulled on passing downs either. I know he caught at least one throw out of the backfield, and a screen that worked very well for us. I think the first successful screen we have thrown all year. I also know Bell came out of school with a reputation of being a good blocker, and pass catcher, but that doesn't mean a lot right now. I'll have to try to go back and take a look at what your talking about. If you have any examples that would be helpful to me. Thanks Seven.

AML

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

and bell was good in pass protection.
    He was good when he didn't whiff or miss read his assignments.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Quote Originally Posted by katmandu View Post
    He was good when he didn't whiff or miss read his assignments.
    Which was when?

Which was when?
    (Might as well assess all three elements - running, blocking, and passblocking).

7:18 first quarter. He was lead blocker on end around. Whiffed badly on blocking the safety. So bad in fact that he was on the ground and the safety wasn't even touched.
    6:29 Not so bad, let the outside rusher get the inside line on him and push through.
    5:52 missed a massive hole to his left on a cutback. Instead, barreled straight forward for no gain. (LBs waiting for him on either side, but the cutback would've put him a yard or two downfield.
    9:43 second quarter. Comes out and turns around five yards upfield for a short drop off pass. Ben's under pressure and roles right. Bell just stands there, then starts to waddle in that direction. Literally, waddle.
    8:19 If bell was supposed to chip on that play coming out of the backfield, it was the most poorly executed chip I've seen in a long time. And yes, he came towards the DL with his shoulder down as the guy was engaged with a tackle. didn't even contact the guy.
    3:41 Third quarter. Bell come up on an inside block in pass protection. Hits the first guy coming through and the guy barely even stuttersteps, just run right past him without much change of direction. Second guy coming through Bell tries to hit, and Bell gets knocked back a yard or so.
    4:57 fourth quarter. Picking the guy up coming off the edge. Contact once, Bell gets pushed back. Luckily, Gilbert picked him up or Ben would have been on his back.
    1:33 Again comes inside for a block, is pushed backwards after first contact and pressure put on Ben.
    15 seconds left. He's hit twice, both times he gets worked by two different players. First time, he's the second man in on a block and is STILL pushed back about a yard, yard and ahalf. Second one he doesn't have the best angle, so it's not totally his fault. The second goes in and I can't tell if he forces the fumble that ends our chances, or if he's just another purple shirt in the pile.

The funny thing is, he only had a handful of blocking assignments the entire game, and he was about 50/50 on them, most of the time losing ground. I'd say he had a total of 6-8 blocking assignments. the rest of the time, he was out in the flat. Here's something I found that I DON'T like about him. When he's get out into the flat and waiting to see if the ball is thrown to him, it's like he's on a Sunday stroll. There's no effort, no speed. He turns it on when the ball is thrown to him, or given to him, but I want to see that kind of effort when he is NOT the target of the play.

So, Steel, you kept asking for when. You got your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    (Might as well assess all three elements - running, blocking, and passblocking).

7:18 first quarter. He was lead blocker on end around. Whiffed badly on blocking the safety. So bad in fact that he was on the ground and the safety wasn't even touched.
    6:29 Not so bad, let the outside rusher get the inside line on him and push through.
    5:52 missed a massive hole to his left on a cutback. Instead, barreled straight forward for no gain. (LBs waiting for him on either side, but the cutback would've put him a yard or two downfield.
    9:43 second quarter. Comes out and turns around five yards upfield for a short drop off pass. Ben's under pressure and roles right. Bell just stands there, then starts to waddle in that direction. Literally, waddle.
    8:19 If bell was supposed to chip on that play coming out of the backfield, it was the most poorly executed chip I've seen in a long time. And yes, he came towards the DL with his shoulder down as the guy was engaged with a tackle. didn't even contact the guy.
    3:41 Third quarter. Bell come up on an inside block in pass protection. Hits the first guy coming through and the guy barely even stuttersteps, just run right past him without much change of direction. Second guy coming through Bell tries to hit, and Bell gets knocked back a yard or so.
    4:57 fourth quarter. Picking the guy up coming off the edge. Contact once, Bell gets pushed back. Luckily, Gilbert picked him up or Ben would have been on his back.
    1:33 Again comes inside for a block, is pushed backwards after first contact and pressure put on Ben.
    15 seconds left. He's hit twice, both times he gets worked by two different players. First time, he's the second man in on a block and is STILL pushed back about a yard, yard and ahalf. Second one he doesn't have the best angle, so it's not totally his fault. The second goes in and I can't tell if he forces the fumble that ends our chances, or if he's just another purple shirt in the pile.

The funny thing is, he only had a handful of blocking assignments the entire game, and he was about 50/50 on them, most of the time losing ground. I'd say he had a total of 6-8 blocking assignments. the rest of the time, he was out in the flat. Here's something I found that I DON'T like about him. When he's get out into the flat and waiting to see if the ball is thrown to him, it's like he's on a Sunday stroll. There's no effort, no speed. He turns it on when the ball is thrown to him, or given to him, but I want to see that kind of effort when he is NOT the target of the play.

I asked when he whiffed and missed his assignments in pass protection. Nothing you posted shows any missed assignments or whiffs in pass protection. He was in for 60 of our 79 snaps so he got pushed back a yard on one or two blitz pick ups, my god for people to label his performance in pass protection as poor is ridiculous. One of the plays dwyer got so much credit for last week he not only got knocked back but nearly got knocked out by a blitzing linebacker. If he wasn't doing his job in pass protection he would not of been on the field for most of the game especially in crunch time with the game on the line. As far as flat routes go, you cant sprint full speed out into the flats on that route almost always you are the check down so if you sprinted full speed by the time the qb progressed to your route you would either be out of bounds or standing completely still.

I asked when he whiffed and missed his assignments in pass protection. Nothing you posted shows any missed assignments or whiffs in pass protection. He was in for 60 of our 79 snaps so he got pushed back a yard on one or two blitz pick ups, my god for people to label his performance in pass protection as poor is ridiculous. One of the plays dwyer got so much credit for last week he not only got knocked back but nearly got knocked out by a blitzing linebacker. If he wasn't doing his job in pass protection he would not of been on the field for most of the game especially in crunch time with the game on the line. As far as flat routes go, you cant sprint full speed out into the flats on that route almost always you are the check down so if you sprinted full speed by the time the qb progressed to your route you would either be out of bounds or standing completely still.

8:19 If bell was supposed to chip on that play coming out of the backfield, it was the most poorly executed chip I've seen in a long time. And yes, he came towards the DL with his shoulder down as the guy was engaged with a tackle. didn't even contact the guy. WHIFF
    3:41 Third quarter. Bell come up on an inside block in pass protection. Hits the first guy coming through and the guy barely even stuttersteps, just run right past him without much change of direction. Basically a WHIFF Second guy coming through Bell tries to hit, and Bell gets knocked back a yard or so.

He basically had two whiffs, and only a few flocking assignments.

The fact that he keeps getting pushed around is exactly the problem. He's a mediocre pass protector at best right now. On the positive side, he seemed willing to put his body where it needed to be. Hopefully some time in the weight room and work on form will help him.

He did also have a couple nice cut blocks. All in all, however, right now, I am not ​confident with him as a pass blocker. Oh.. and for only having 6-8 blocking assignments, to be pushed back almost EVERY TIME is something to be concerned about, no? I counted six above, and two more times in teh same plays he got pushed back.

So, you tell me. Either whiffing, or getting manhandled on what was essentially ally but two or three plays means he's what . . . not a poor pass protector? IMO, it's all about form and strength, and those are the things he will learn while playing in the NFL (we can only hope).

Dwinsgames

solid explanation , I deleted the game so could not go back and watch the excepts , I have made the conscience decision this year to NOT put myself though unneeded torture by watching embarrassing losses multiple times and instead watch some extra college games in its place ...

I do recall pretty much what you have posted ...

On the bright side as mentioned he is a willing blocker , he at this point in time is not a great blocker , that will improve in time ... he will put in the work to improve I have faith in that ..as I said many times I like Bell liked the pick ( was not in love with the pick because I thought it was a round to soon for him ) ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    solid explanation , I deleted the game so could not go back and watch the excepts , I have made the conscience decision this year to NOT put myself though unneeded torture by watching embarrassing losses multiple times and instead watch some extra college games in its place ...

I do recall pretty much what you have posted ...

On the bright side as mentioned he is a willing blocker , he at this point in time is not a great blocker , that will improve in time ... he will put in the work to improve I have faith in that ..as I said many times I like Bell liked the pick ( was not in love with the pick because I thought it was a round to soon for him ) ...
    I agree with you bud. Bell was a good blocker in school, but this isn't school any more, now the classes really begin. The fact that he was thought of as a good blocker in collage, and looks to be willing to put in the work, tells me that he will get better and end up being a good blocking back. Really this was he first game, he will learn.

AML

Bell missed most of the preseason and wasn't able to practice much through the first 3 weeks. And what practice time he's got lately was mostly dedicated to hitting the right hole, taking the handoff etc...I doubt he spent a great deal of time blocking these last few weeks. I think it's just a matter of needing some playing time to get a feel for things. It moves pretty fast out there, especially for a rookie, so he probably just needs some more reps to figure out what he's doing. If you're out there thinking you probably wont execute that great. As it comes more natural I predict his blocking wont be an issue.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I think this young man will do well. Like TX said this was really his first game.

He basically had two whiffs, and only a few flocking assignments.

The fact that he keeps getting pushed around is exactly the problem. He's a mediocre pass protector at best right now. On the positive side, he seemed willing to put his body where it needed to be. Hopefully some time in the weight room and work on form will help him.

He did also have a couple nice cut blocks. All in all, however, right now, I am not ​confident with him as a pass blocker. Oh.. and for only having 6-8 blocking assignments, to be pushed back almost EVERY TIME is something to be concerned about, no? I counted six above, and two more times in teh same plays he got pushed back.

So, you tell me. Either whiffing, or getting manhandled on what was essentially ally but two or three plays means he's what . . . not a poor pass protector? IMO, it's all about form and strength, and those are the things he will learn while playing in the NFL (we can only hope).
    Im not seeing him getting manhandled or whiffing the only one you could possibly attempt to call a whiff is the one where he blocks 2 guys and to me it looked like he couldn't decide which one to block but it didn't matter anyway because adams's man beat him and got the sack anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Steelerscom_LiVE_1012013/0164631c-dc03-47f2-814c-d3d1538fd37d

you can see some of the blocks here I didn't see him get manhandled once

Bell missed most of the preseason and wasn't able to practice much through the first 3 weeks. And what practice time he's got lately was mostly dedicated to hitting the right hole, taking the handoff etc...I doubt he spent a great deal of time blocking these last few weeks. I think it's just a matter of needing some playing time to get a feel for things. It moves pretty fast out there, especially for a rookie, so he probably just needs some more reps to figure out what he's doing. If you're out there thinking you probably wont execute that great. As it comes more natural I predict his blocking wont be an issue.
    Right you are, and remember, he is learning under trial by fire. He will make mistake, but I think he will learn from them and get better, and better. I'm encourage.

AML

Im not seeing him getting manhandled or whiffing the only one you could possibly attempt to call a whiff is the one where he blocks 2 guys and to me it looked like he couldn't decide which one to block but it didn't matter anyway because adams's man beat him and got the sack anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-au...c-d3d1538fd37d

you can see some of the blocks here I didn't see him get manhandled once
    Go find a way to see the game again and check out every place I listed (it's why I gave the clock time in each entry). He gets walked right on through, or pushed right back on virtually every play I listed above where he was blocking. As I said in my post, he had a nice cut block and a couple nice blocks, but that's it. Every other time, he's a speedbump at best (for now).

Senior Member Array title="siss is a jewel in the rough"> siss's Avatar

I take it back! I love that little rookie!