Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Steelers please trade Ben at the end of this season.

Dwinsgames

Re: Steelers please trade Ben at the end of this season.

24 million ( dead cap money ) reasons to NOT consider it .......

but he is over paid ( as are lots of QBs ) handcuffing the rest of the team

we have far to much money invested in a handful of players , I would prefer the talent be more balanced team wide instead of a few " supposed " super stars getting the bulk of the cap money leaving us talent and depth deprived in many other areas

Senior Member Array title="TomlinSteelTribe is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    24 million ( dead cap money ) reasons to NOT consider it .......

but he is over paid ( as are lots of QBs ) handcuffing the rest of the team

we have far to much money invested in a handful of players , I would prefer the talent be more balanced team wide instead of a few " supposed " super stars getting the bulk of the cap money leaving us talent and depth deprived in many other areas
    Yep, this.

Completely agree but it's hard to keep the money spread. The FO should be looking at whether they are "getting their money's worth." Not so sure they are with BR7 and Woodley. Ben is a free agent in 2016. 3 more years on his remaining deal. If someone offered a trade that compensated the Steelers as though Ben were a top-7 qb, I'd take it in a heartbeat. And I'm not a quick to pull the trigger type dude. 2 rings. Nuff said. But I don't see it happening for him/us again. He's not getting any better but will be a good qb for some team.

The age old, whose fault is it: Ben's or the OLine's? That's really a chicken or the egg question. I only watched the Cincy and Chi games once each, but I don't think the OL lost either of those games for us. The OL was certainly the glaring weakness/mismatch going into the game vs the Cincy DL and I thought they held their own. Ben would get sacked often no matter where he plays. You can't ask an OL to consistently protect for 5+ seconds each dropback. And yet, because Ben can make big plays after everything has broken down, people expect the OL to provide such a cushion of time. The best qbs in the league would be absolutely fine with our OL. They might not be in paradise but they would still put up the numbers and win.

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Quote Originally Posted by TomlinSteelTribe View Post
    Yep, this.

Completely agree but it's hard to keep the money spread. The FO should be looking at whether they are "getting their money's worth." Not so sure they are with BR7 and Woodley. Ben is a free agent in 2016. 3 more years on his remaining deal. If someone offered a trade that compensated the Steelers as though Ben were a top-7 qb, I'd take it in a heartbeat. And I'm not a quick to pull the trigger type dude. 2 rings. Nuff said. But I don't see it happening for him/us again. He's not getting any better but will be a good qb for some team.

The age old, whose fault is it: Ben's or the OLine's? That's really a chicken or the egg question. I only watched the Cincy and Chi games once each, but I don't think the OL lost either of those games for us. The OL was certainly the glaring weakness/mismatch going into the game vs the Cincy DL and I thought they held their own. Ben would get sacked often no matter where he plays. You can't ask an OL to consistently protect for 5+ seconds each dropback. And yet, because Ben can make big plays after everything has broken down, people expect the OL to provide such a cushion of time. The best qbs in the league would be absolutely fine with our OL. They might not be in paradise but they would still put up the numbers and win.
    I disagree the pocket is collapsing on every play, there are bodies all around ben that's why we see him bumping into running backs in the backfield. I have the nfl ticket and I watch every game there is a noticeable difference when you watch our o-line, they are on their heels, they cant handle simple twists and stunts, and they miss assignments frequently leaving free runners at our qb. I watched manning Monday night vs. Oakland and peyton manning could do his taxes in the pocket. Aaron Rodgers, Tom brady, Matt Stafford, Drew brees, Phillip Rivers, Romo, even cutler get nice pockets to throw from. I understand teams are going to get pressure but on every play its just ridiculous. Its not Ben who needs to get better, Its the o-line that needs to improve and then ben will settle in.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

As I said before, if the situation never improves this season and if it's decided that a full rebuilding is necessary, then I don't see why you wouldn't trade Ben if you could make the right deal? The Steelers need help at safety, linebacker, offensive tackle, need to find Heath Miller's eventual replacement, need help at receiver, need a guard to replace Foster. Look at the talent on other NFL teams. Then look at the Steelers roster. Too many holes to fill in one or even two drafts without doing something out of the ordinary. You don't build a team around an 11 year veteran.

Anyway I do hope this season gets better, some of the players that look like zero's start to play like hero's, and you can make another legitimate run with Ben as soon as next year. But if that looks virtually impossible then again trading Ben would make sense.

And as I said earlier in the thread there's two places that make perfect sense as landing spots for Ben. Texas and Cincy are a legitimate qb from being real Super Bowl contenders. They will both be one and done in the playoffs again this year. They would trade a small King's ransom for an elite qb who can get them over the top.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    I disagree the pocket is collapsing on every play, there are bodies all around ben that's why we see him bumping into running backs in the backfield. I have the nfl ticket and I watch every game there is a noticeable difference when you watch our o-line, they are on their heels, they cant handle simple twists and stunts, and they miss assignments frequently leaving free runners at our qb. I watched manning Monday night vs. Oakland and peyton manning could do his taxes in the pocket. Aaron Rodgers, Tom brady, Matt Stafford, Drew brees, Phillip Rivers, Romo, even cutler get nice pockets to throw from. I understand teams are going to get pressure but on every play its just ridiculous. Its not Ben who needs to get better, Its the o-line that needs to improve and then ben will settle in.
    Why do you think Peyton Manning can do his taxes in the pocket? Because of the talent they have at LT? Their talented LT is out for the year and they didn't miss a beat with a no name back up. If that isn't the biggest argument that coaching and QB play (and the way that QB makes you practice) aren't the real difference here then I don't know how to convince anyone.

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Why do you think Peyton Manning can do his taxes in the pocket? Because of the talent they have at LT? Their talented LT is out for the year and they didn't miss a beat with a no name back up. If that isn't the biggest argument that coaching and QB play (and the way that QB makes you practice) aren't the real difference here then I don't know how to convince anyone.
    I think their o-line is better coached than ours, I don't think it has anything to do with ben making them or not making them practice.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    I think their o-line is better coached than ours, I don't think it has anything to do with ben making them or not making them practice.
    Okay, well we are definitely in agreement then. The point is that it has less to do about the FO and how money is spent than it has to do with making use of the guys we have through good coaching. Is Chris Clark a more talented lineman than Mike Adams? I have no idea if he always was, but he sure as hell is better now.

I only added the bit about Manning because I'm sure he adds to the good coaching over there, and there is no way he enters a game without doing all he can to make sure his blockers know what they are doing. I'm not saying Ben should be Manning (although I'm sure he could learn a thing or two from the guy about how to help the people around him be as prepared as possible, but then again so could about 29 other QBs in the league).

Junior Member Array title="Chin05 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Chin05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    has ben lost his magic for good or is it just because the line/weapons/play calls are poor??
    No magic lost in Ben.. only thing lost is protection! As a QB you can't have your front 5 falling into your lap. Pick any QB in the league and stand him in the Pittsburgh pocket and see how he'd perform with our O/L. If we can get that damn monkey off our back @ the Jets this week we will move forward and win some games!
    _ Rick

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

This team wont have another winning season in Ben's career. The smart move would be to trade him this offseason and start anew. Better for the Steelers in the long run and better for Ben. We need to blow this team up top to bottom and if you don't take away your biggest salary cap drag everything else you do is meaningless.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

I agree with this now Zu. Time to stockpile as many draft picks as possible and shed all the dead money off our books. Rookies and 1st contract players for the next 3-4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    I agree with this now Zu. Time to stockpile as many draft picks as possible and shed all the dead money off our books. Rookies and 1st contract players for the next 3-4 years.
    Honestly I'd rather keep Ben. But the only way this team has a chance to compete for anything in the remainder of Ben's career is if they fire Tomlin. Which they wont do. So might as well trade Ben and let Tomlin create the team in his image and suck for the next 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    He deserves better than what this organization can give him.

Seriously this team is going to be bad for a long time. Need a full rebuilding and a different construction team.

Anyway after your 3-13 season get what you can for him, because you'll never be a contender in his career span again.
    I had it first. Not saying this is a certainty, but if you think this is off the table completely you're only kidding yourself.

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

I had it first. Not saying this is a certainty, but if you think this is off the table completely you're only kidding yourself.
    I don't think it's completely off the table, but it would be incredibly stupid. Let's just assume we get a first rounder for him. Would you trade 4 years of Ben Roethlisberger for rookie versions of Jarvis Jones, David DeCastro, Cam Heyward or Ziggy Hood? I wouldn't. I don't see how that's beneficial to the team. I think Heyward, DeCastro and Jones are all going to be solid players for 8 years but they don't even account for a fraction of the importance of the quarterback position during a game. When you have a guy who can play quarterback, you don't let him go. See Peyton Manning. Personally, I don't think the Rooney's are stupid enough to make such a mistake.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

But you could draft marcus mariota!! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

He deserves better than what this organization can give him.

Seriously this team is going to be bad for a long time. Need a full rebuilding and a different construction team.

Anyway after your 3-13 season get what you can for him, because you'll never be a contender in his career span again.
    Lol, I was a year ahead of schedule.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

This team wont win 5 games this year. I don't what team you're watching but it's not the 2013 Steelers.
    C'mon, man. Even the Raiders "might" win 5 games..... though it's very doubtful. The Steelers are a far better team than the Raiders.

Don't take this wrong my Steeler friends, but you guys are serious rookies at this losing stuff... and I'm kind of getting a kick out of it! ...

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post

I know that Peyton chokes in big games and Ben is clutch when it matters. He also has one more SB ring.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    C'mon, man. Even the Raiders "might" win 5 games..... though it's very doubtful. The Steelers are a far better team than the Raiders.

Don't take this wrong my Steeler friends, but you guys are serious rookies at this losing stuff... and I'm kind of getting a kick out of it! ...
    you're right. I've been watching the games by myself because I can't handle being around a lot of the steeler fans here lately.. the bandwagon will be a lot lighter in the next couple years. only the real fans will remain.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post

You aren't the only one getting sick of it. I sifted through pages and pages of garbage before the season even started of people predicting the Steelers mega-failure. It's almost as if people WANT them to fail, you know?

I swear. If we turn it around and have a good season I will NEVER let up.

Going to rub that shit in so many faces. Some of these fans couldn't possibly root for a team like the Browns over the years, or even the Raiders. You guys have a good QB though, best of luck! You have our number, too!

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    you're right. I've been watching the games by myself because I can't handle being around a lot of the steeler fans here lately.. the bandwagon will be a lot lighter in the next couple years. only the real fans will remain.
    Being realistic doesn't make you less of a fan. Just as being critical of the government doesn't make you unpatriotic.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Being realistic doesn't make you less of a fan. Just as being critical of the government doesn't make you unpatriotic.
    I think you mistook what I said brother. Regarding the bandwagon comment I'm speaking of the people who became steeler fans in the Big Ben/post season every year era. Now that it's not all wins and championships I think a lot of the newer crowd that took to black and gold because of their winning record will be gone. The rest of us will still be here.

Also when I said "I've been watching the games by myself becauseI can't handle being around a lot of the steeler fans here lately.." I meant here as in my home in SW FL. Sometimes it's better to lick my wounds and sulk in quiet instead of hearing about coach momlin and someone kicking beer cans every down. I probably shouldn't have been so quick on the keyboard..
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-