Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Thread: Pens Tidbits 2.0

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Re: Pens Tidbits 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAsteeler View Post
    Who??

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

My thoughts exactly.

I'm actually very disappointed they didn't go with John Hynes. I feel like he would have brought back some much needed toughness to this team. I'll reserve my final judgement until the season starts, but I am NOT liking the new GM so far.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

And you people call yourselves hockey fans? Mike Johnston is the now former head coach and general manager of the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL, a team that has been very successful during his tenure. He also coached Derrick Pouliot, the Pens' top prospect...the same guy who was named WHL Defenseman of the Year. Johnston is also a former NHL assistant/associate coach, so he has NHL coaching experience. Rick Tocchet, BTW, has also been named one of the assistant coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    And you people call yourselves hockey fans? Mike Johnston is the now former head coach and general manager of the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL, a team that has been very successful during his tenure. He also coached Derrick Pouliot, the Pens' top prospect...the same guy who was named WHL Defenseman of the Year. Johnston is also a former NHL assistant/associate coach, so he has NHL coaching experience. Rick Tocchet, BTW, has also been named one of the assistant coaches.
    I'm a fan of the AHL and NHL. I don't follow junior hockey that closely.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAsteeler View Post
    I'm a fan of the AHL and NHL. I don't follow junior hockey that closely.
    I don't either, but I knew who he was. Sorry man, I've been frustrated as hell today with the general lack of knowledge in the Pens' fan base.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Neal was worth more than that.

I knew the Rutherford hiring would be a mistake.

So on the first day of free agency the Pens sign defenseman Christian Ehrhoff to a one year $4 million contract, forward Blake Comeau to a one year $700,000 contract and goalie Thomas Greiss to a one year $1 million contract. Marcel Goc resigns with the Pens for 1 year for $1.2 million.

Matt Niskanen signs a 7 year $40.25 million contract with Washington and joins Brooks Orpik who signed a five year $27.5 million contract with the Capitals. Tanner Glass goes to the Rangers for three years with a $4.35 million contract, Jussi Jokinen goes to the Florida Panthers for four years and Deryk Engelland goes to Calgary with a three year deal reported at $2.9 million per year.

The Pens are the new German National Team, apparently.

Those 4 ex-Pens you mentioned? All of them overpaid, especially Orpik, Niskanen and Engelland. Who in their right fucking mind would give Orpik $5.5 million a year, and for FIVE YEARS to boot? Or Engelland $2.9 million? I mean, I love Engo to death, but come on now! the Capitals handed out $57.75 million to two guys who would be 2nd or 3rd pairing D-men on most other teams, including the Penguins, further proving that Caps' owner Ted Leonsis is the dumbest owner in the NHL. He has learned absolutely NOTHING from overpaying for mediocre/overrated talent in the past, and here he is doing it again...the definition of insanity.

Senior Member Array title="MrPgh has a spectacular aura about">

Heil Penguins.

Capitals are becoming the NHL version of the Arizona Cardinals signing Pittsburgh players.

I'm not completely unhappy with what the Pens did. Good for all of those now ex-Pens but they were definitely overpaid.

I actually called that signing on another forum. All of a sudden, their bottom 6 looks a heck of a lot better. Now sign Kulemin and JR can take the rest of the summer off.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Now sign Kulemin and JR can take the rest of the summer off.
    Kulemin goes to the Islanders.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why the Islanders will continue to suck from now until the end of time. I hope they never fire Garth Snow.

Steve Downie on protecting Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin: "Whatever team I've played on, I like to go out my way to stick up for my teammates. Every team needs a couple guys like that. I can guarantee there won't be any liberties on those players this year."

Booooo!

That actually pissed me off.

Too small, not physical enough and not skilled enough to play in the NHL regularly. Sorry, but it's the truth. That's why the Pens didn't bring him back and why he only got a 1-year, 2-way deal from Columbus. It's an AHL/depth signing and nothing more. The Pens needed to find guys better than him for their bottom 6.

Penguins star Sidney Crosby to have wrist surgery

Sidney Crosby is scheduled to have arthroscopic surgery on his right wrist within the next few days to repair damage that a source said impeded his performance in the postseason.

Despite saying during and after the Stanley Cup playoffs that he was at full health, the Penguins center "did play with a terrible wrist," the source said Tuesday night.

Crosby could not be reached for comment.

An individual close to Crosby, who requested anonymity, said the surgical procedure "is not major, but you can't play the same way" with the kind of injury Crosby had.

The NHL MVP is not expected to miss any time next season, the source said. Crosby decided to have the operation only after therapy failed to correct the problem.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/p...#ixzz36xboVdaE

A LOT of people suggested that he was playing hurt. If this is true, it explains why he looked like dogshit the entire playoffs. Last year, he was recovering from a broken jaw, and thus wasn't really effective in the playoffs other than against the overmatched Sens. But he refused to use it as an excuse, and IMO he deserves credit for that.

Pittsburgh Penguins Name Gary Agnew Assistant Coach

The Pittsburgh Penguins have agreed to terms with Gary Agnew to join the coaching staff as an assistant coach, it was announced today by head coach Mike Johnston.

Agnew, 54, was an assistant coach for the St. Louis Blues under Ken Hitchcock the past two seasons. During that time, the Blues won the fifth-most games (81) and allowed the fourth-fewest goals in the NHL.

A native of Niagara Falls, Ontario, Agnew was a Columbus Blue Jackets assistant coach for four seasons from 2006-10, helping the Blue Jackets make the organization’s first-ever playoff appearance in ’08-09. He also served a brief stint as interim head coach for Columbus.

“I am very excited to add Gary Agnew to our coaching staff,” Johnston said. “He is a long-time NHL assistant who has worked with both forwards and defensemen, along with having extensive special team's experience.

“I like the fact that Gary has also had head coaching experience, including very successful stints in the AHL and at the junior level. Gary has been a career coach and is well known for his communication and teaching abilities.”

Prior to joining the Blue Jackets, Agnew was head coach of Columbus’ American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate in Syracuse for six years. During his tenure in Syracuse, Agnew established a franchise record by winning 200 games, as well as the team’s first division title in ’01-02.

Read more: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=725898

I'm on my phone so I don't have the links right now but the Pens re-signed Jayson Megna and Phillip Samuelsson to one-year, two-way contracts.

The Farm Animal is back in Wilkes-Barre!

I don't know about you guys but I really miss hockey.