Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL ref admits mistakes in Super Bowl XL

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

NFL ref admits mistakes in Super Bowl XL

RENTON, Wash. -- NFL referee Bill Leavy acknowleded he made mistakes in the Seattle Seahawks 2006 Super Bowl loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers

Read the rest at : http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5444048

BUMMER

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Re: NFL ref admits mistakes in Super Bowl XL

Doesn't say much what calls is he referring to? Bunch of nothing just like the article.

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Looks like he's either trying to kiss up to the Seattle population for some reason. But the Steelers would have won with or without the "claimed" blown calls...

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Que the whining from seahags fans......

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

The Official over the Refs was on the NFL Network after the game and said that Leavy made all the calls right. So, basically Leavy is calling his boss an idiot and kissing up to the Seahawk fans.

If I were the NFL, I'd fire him for this.

Senior Member Array title="Carolina Steelers has a spectacular aura about"> Carolina Steelers's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
    Looks like he's either trying to kiss up to the Seattle population for some reason. But the Steelers would have won with or without the "claimed" blown calls...
    I agree the Steelers would have won anyway. Theres always a close call in any big game that could go either way. Hes just kissing up because hes in Seattle

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Maybe Seattle wins if they don't throw a pick to Ike Taylor in our territory.

Maybe Seattle wins if they don't let us pick up a 3rd and 21 (I think that was the distance. Either that or 3rd and 9) on a long completion to Hines Ward that put us at the one.

Maybe instead of Seattle looking for a scapegoat, they should be looking at themselves.

Senior Member Array title="Akagi is an unknown quantity at this point">

I dunno. I watched that game closely, the calls looked OK to me.

Married and happy Array title="BPS3akaWirels3 has a spectacular aura about"> BPS3akaWirels3's Avatar

The Cards say they should have won also and were cheated.. This happens everytime.. Deal with it people...

Nothing better then a Black & Gold Wedding 09/24/11

Senior Member Array title="Carolina Steelers has a spectacular aura about"> Carolina Steelers's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post

Maybe Seattle wins if they don't let us pick up a 3rd and 21 (I think that was the distance. Either that or 3rd and 9) on a long completion to Hines Ward that put us at the one.

Maybe instead of Seattle looking for a scapegoat, they should be looking at themselves.
    Also dont forget about Fast Willies 75yd TD run also.

Member Array title="Canadian Steeler Nation is an unknown quantity at this point"> Canadian Steeler Nation's Avatar

Any team that wears aqua blue uniforms is beneath discussion on this fine forum

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

I can't take this too seriously at all because he said it in Seattle... hell I wouldnt take it too seriously under any circumstances. Officials blunders happen occasionally... get over it....

Member Array title="wootawnee is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post

It was 3rd and 28........And just that play alone in my book was the play of the game....It also meant to me that Ben had an ok game........That play was awesome....

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
    It was 3rd and 28........And just that play alone in my book was the play of the game....It also meant to me that Ben had an ok game........That play was awesome....
    Wow, I struck out twice. Think I had Ben's 9-21 completion on the brain.

28 makes it even more astounding.

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Bad teams lose when officials make "bad calls"

But champions win despite "bad calls". Right off the top of my head- Polamalu's interception on manning in 05 and Holmes "drop" in the endzone in the 08 championship

The steelers won both games, they never folded. The colts ravens and especially the seahawks did

It's history, four years ago! Get over it!
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Senior Member Array title="Akagi is an unknown quantity at this point">

Good teams play well enough that the referees are never a factor.

--Chuck Noll

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

bawhahahaha!

Shenaniguy Array title="kmsteelerwr15 is on a distinguished road"> kmsteelerwr15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Levy kissing up to the fans simply because he's in Seattle. This would mean something, if Seattle actually played well enough to win that game.

Don't give those nobodies from Seattle the dignation of having a topic on here. Seattle sucks. They're not worth the time, or the effort. They're not a division rival, hell, they're not even in our conference. At the end of the day, we have the trophy along with it's five siblings, and they have an empty trophy case. F them.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

It wasn't the ref's that give up the longest run in super bowl history!!!

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post

bawhahahaha!
    I like the video I made about the Steelers season that year much much better, haha...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncOP-9pZD7c

??? Array title="Mattsme is an unknown quantity at this point"> Mattsme's Avatar

Seattle still has a football team?

Huh, the things you learn around here...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

"It was a tough thing for me. I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that," said the veteran of 15 NFL seasons and two Super Bowls.

Leavy didn't specify which plays he "kicked" that day in Detroit.

Early in the fourth quarter, tackle Sean Locklear was called for holding on a pass completion that would have put the Seahawks at the Pittsburgh 1, in position for the go-ahead touchdown. After the penalty, Matt Hasselbeck threw an interception, and then was called for a low block on a play that ended with him tackling Pittsburgh's Ike Taylor on the defensive back's return.
    Uh, those were the only two penalties that were called on the Squawks in the fourth quarter of that game, so it HAD to be those two calls: SB XL (click on "Play-by-Play" link)

4th Quarter

Seattle Seahawks continues ...

2-10-SEA 48 (15:00) S.Alexander left end to PIT 47 for 5 yards (C.Hampton).
    3-5-PIT 47 (14:17) M.Hasselbeck pass to B.Engram to PIT 30 for 17 yards (I.Taylor).
    1-10-PIT 30 (13:32) S.Alexander right tackle to PIT 24 for 6 yards (T.Polamalu).
    2-4-PIT 24 (13:10) S.Alexander up the middle to PIT 19 for 5 yards (A.Smith).
    1-10-PIT 19 (12:35) M.Hasselbeck pass to J.Stevens to PIT 1 for 18 yards (C.Hope; T.Polamalu). PENALTY on SEA-S.Locklear, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at PIT 19 - No Play.
    1-20-PIT 29 (12:08) M.Hasselbeck sacked at PIT 34 for -5 yards (C.Hampton).
    2-25-PIT 34 (11:34) S.Alexander left end to PIT 27 for 7 yards (J.Porter).
    3-18-PIT 27 (10:54) M.Hasselbeck pass intended for D.Jackson INTERCEPTED by I.Taylor at PIT 5. I.Taylor to PIT 29 for 24 yards (M.Hasselbeck). PENALTY on SEA-M.Hasselbeck, Low Block, 15 yards, enforced at PIT 29.

Pittsburgh Steelers at 10:46

1-10-PIT 44 (10:46) W.Parker up the middle to PIT 45 for 1 yard (M.Tubbs).
    2-9-PIT 45 (10:10) B.Roethlisberger pass to A.Randle El pushed ob at SEA 48 for 7 yards (E.Pruitt).
    3-2-SEA 48 (9:44) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger up the middle to SEA 43 for 5 yards (J.Babineaux).
    1-10-SEA 43 (9:04) A.Randle El pass to H.Ward for 43 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Play was a reverse pass. QB pitched left to 39-Parker. Parker hands off to 82-Randle El coming right who throws for a TD.
    J.Reed extra point is GOOD, Center-G.Warren, Holder-C.Gardocki.

Seattle Seahawks at 08:56

J.Reed kicks 69 yards from PIT 30 to SEA 1. J.Scobey to SEA 16 for 15 yards (R.Colclough).
    1-10-SEA 16 (8:48) M.Hasselbeck pass incomplete to D.Jackson.
    2-10-SEA 16 (8:40) M.Hasselbeck right end to SEA 34 for 18 yards. FUMBLES, RECOVERED by PIT-T.Polamalu at SEA 40. T.Polamalu to SEA 33 for 7 yards (R.Tobeck). Play Challenged by SEA and REVERSED. M.Hasselbeck right end to SEA 34 for 18 yards (L.Foote).
    1-10-SEA 34 (8:11) S.Alexander left tackle to SEA 38 for 4 yards (C.Hampton).
    2-6-SEA 38 (7:33) M.Hasselbeck pass to J.Jurevicius pushed ob at PIT 49 for 13 yards (D.Townsend).
    1-10-PIT 49 (7:19) M.Hasselbeck pass incomplete to J.Jurevicius.
    2-10-PIT 49 (7:13) S.Alexander right end to PIT 47 for 2 yards (C.Hoke).
    3-8-PIT 47 (6:36) M.Hasselbeck sacked at SEA 48 for -5 yards (D.Townsend).
    4-13-SEA 48 (6:28) T.Rouen punts 52 yards to end zone, Center-J.Darche, Touchback.

Pittsburgh Steelers at 06:15

1-10-PIT 20 (6:15) J.Bettis left tackle to PIT 18 for -2 yards (C.Darby).
    2-12-PIT 18 (5:33) J.Bettis right tackle to PIT 24 for 6 yards (M.Boulware; D.Lewis).
    Timeout #2 by PIT at 04:45.
    3-6-PIT 24 (4:45) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass to A.Randle El to PIT 31 for 7 yards (J.Babineaux).
    1-10-PIT 31 (3:59) J.Bettis up the middle to PIT 35 for 4 yards (L.Tatupu).
    Timeout #1 by SEA at 03:54.
    2-6-PIT 35 (3:54) J.Bettis left tackle to PIT 38 for 3 yards (D.Lewis).
    Timeout #2 by SEA at 03:51.
    3-3-PIT 38 (3:51) B.Roethlisberger left end to PIT 41 for 3 yards (L.Hill).
    1-10-PIT 41 (3:09) J.Bettis right tackle to PIT 43 for 2 yards (L.Tatupu; M.Boulware).
    Timeout #3 by SEA at 03:04.
    2-8-PIT 43 (3:04) J.Bettis right tackle to PIT 43 for no gain (L.Tatupu).
    3-8-PIT 43 (2:18) J.Bettis up the middle to PIT 47 for 4 yards (L.Hill).
    Two-Minute Warning
    4-4-PIT 47 (2:00) C.Gardocki punts 53 yards to end zone, Center-G.Warren, Touchback.

Seattle Seahawks at 01:51

1-10-SEA 20 (1:51) M.Hasselbeck pass to J.Stevens to SEA 26 for 6 yards (J.Farrior, A.Smith).
    2-4-SEA 26 (1:28) (No Huddle) M.Hasselbeck pass to J.Jurevicius to PIT 39 for 35 yards (T.Polamalu).
    1-10-PIT 39 (1:05) (No Huddle) M.Hasselbeck pass incomplete to J.Stevens. Ball thrown away.
    2-10-PIT 39 (1:00) M.Hasselbeck pass incomplete to M.Strong.
    3-10-PIT 39 (:52) M.Hasselbeck pass incomplete to B.Engram.
    4-10-PIT 39 (:47) M.Hasselbeck pass to B.Engram to PIT 26 for 13 yards (T.Polamalu).
    1-10-PIT 26 (:35) (No Huddle) M.Hasselbeck spiked the ball to stop the clock.
    2-10-PIT 26 (:34) M.Hasselbeck pass incomplete to S.Alexander (T.Carter).
    3-10-PIT 26 (:27) M.Hasselbeck pass to J.Stevens to PIT 23 for 3 yards (T.Carter).
    4-7-PIT 23 (:08) (No Huddle) M.Hasselbeck pass incomplete to J.Stevens (B.McFadden).

Pittsburgh Steelers at 00:03

1-10-PIT 23 (:03) B.Roethlisberger kneels to PIT 22 for -1 yards.
    END GAME
    Yes, the call on Hasselbeck was a bad call, but as I recall, it didn't nullify a score by the Squawks or anything. This, however, WAS A HOLD:

I'm sorry, when you get a fistful of jersey and yank backwards, it's a goddamn hold, despite lardass Madden's protests (that didn't look like a hold to me!!!!). :rolleyes2:

Besides, those really aren't the calls that Squawks fans always cry and whine about anyway. The ones they bitch about the most are the push off by Darrell Jackson on Chris Hope (which WAS a push off) and the TD by Ben (he broke the damn plane). And another thing, no mention of the fumble by Jerramy Stevens which was wrongfully overturned? Or the block in the back against Roethlisberger on the long INT return which they didn't bother to call? Or the helmet-to-helmet hit on Hines out of bounds that they also didn't bother to call? Nothing to see here. Disney Channel II needs to give this bullshit "controversy" (that THEY originally created anyway) a rest already.

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

They need to build a bridge and get the hell over it already.

Oh, I don't know. Let's look at what he said again:
    "It was a tough thing for me. I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that," said the veteran of 15 NFL seasons and two Super Bowls.
    So, it may not have been a penalty that was "kicked" after all. I am wondering if it was the fumble by the Seahawk QB that was overturned. The other one? Probably the penalty on Hasselback as well. Though, I can see how that mistake would happen as it looked like he was cutting the legs out of the blocker as well.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

fansince76 covered a lot of what i was going to say. But one thing he left out that I believe epitimizes the slanted nature of the broadcast against the Steelers that day, which to me is a big reason there was such a contraversy to begin with, is the offensive interference call against Heath Miller in the first half. If you remember that call negated a big Steelers pick-up that would have put them in the red zone with a first down. Instead they ended up with a second and long situation, which they managed to overcome and they ended up scoring the td anyway. Now, here's the point of why I bring that play up. Was it a bad call? I don't know, because to this day I still haven't seen the replay, for reasons know only to themselves ABC never bothered to show us even one, even briefly. I've heard from people that have seen the game film that it was a borderline call at best. Yet I'll never know for sure because Madden and Co. didn't seem to think it mattered one way or the other and never gave us a replay. Oh yeah one other difference, rather than sulk the drive away like the Whiney Hawks the Steelers put the penalty behind them and got on with the business of making the plays neccessary to get the score. The Squawks had the same chance to overcome penalties, but weren't up to the task. Bottom line is neither team played a great game, but the Steelers made enough plays to be the winner at the end. The refs didn't award the Steelers 21 points, they earned them.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="solardave is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
    That's right. The low block call(on Hasselbeck) was wrong. Even if he is talking about the holding call putting them at the one it doesn't matter.We were stuffing the run and he still threw an INT. Game over we win.

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

It doesn't matter what this schmo says now - the game has long been over and I believe we won fair and square. The Waaaaahawks simply were not the better all-around team on the field that day and the end result proved it.

Suck an egg Cryhawks fans.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Do no harm - take no shit Array title="Killer is on a distinguished road"> Killer's Avatar

YES!!! let the Seahawk fans relive it again!

SB XL

woo-hoo!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The one play that the head ref on NFL Network said was bad was the low block on the INT leading to the game clinching TD. There was no way that that penalty was the reason they scored the TD.