Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of Steeler's (Pittsburgh area) TV Market.....How/Where to View Games on TV ??

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Question Out of Steeler's (Pittsburgh area) TV Market.....How/Where to View Games on TV ??

I think I speak for most all of us Steeler Faithful that grew up and/or have left the Pittsburgh area. It is frustrating AS HELL trying to find and view Steeler games on TV. Yes, there are games shown on the net, but that is a real serious PITA and of course "illegal".

Besides finding the closest Steeler bars (yes, I know. They are everywhere! :>) ) , what options are there to watch Steeler games.

Is DirectTV's Sunday Ticket the only option ? If so, what is the best deal you folks are seeing out there ?

Also, the NFL is offering the Pre-Season TV package for $19.95 for the (4) games. I did that last year and it was pretty nice. Too bad the NFL won't/can't do this for all games!

What say you ?
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Re: Out of Steeler's (Pittsburgh area) TV Market.....How/Where to View Games on TV ??

I'm guilty of watching them illegally, but it is what it is

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Re: Out of Steeler's (Pittsburgh area) TV Market.....How/Where to View Games on TV ??

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    I'm guilty of watching them illegally, but it is what it is
    Yea...me too....but it's a MAJOR PITA !

Also, we have some chatter about this on another thread here.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...Preseason-Live

BTW, what's your MOS ? How long you been in the AF ?

I'm a Retired USAF 92450 (old system lol!) Med Lab Tech. I do the same now with the VA.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

If you are a new Directv customer, sunday ticket is free of charge. After that, just cancel it for a couple of months and they will beg you to come back with free sunday ticket as a carrot.

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by katmandu View Post
    Yea...me too....but it's a MAJOR PITA !

Also, we have some chatter about this on another thread here.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...Preseason-Live

BTW, what's your MOS ? How long you been in the AF ?

I'm a Retired USAF 92450 (old system lol!) Med Lab Tech. I do the same now with the VA.

The link I have is quite easy actually, but I keep it to myself, lol.

im 2A871E, avionics on C130s...made E7, just awaiting the stripe, been in 12.5 years

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    If you are a new Directv customer, sunday ticket is free of charge. After that, just cancel it for a couple of months and they will beg you to come back with free sunday ticket as a carrot.
    Lol I did the same thing but you can only do this so many times. The nfl ticket is expensive but it is awesome especially if you play a lot of fantasy football and like to wager on the games as I do.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I hear (don't know this for certain) that you can ask your DirecTV installer to set your home location to Pittsburgh so you get Pgh local stations instead of Troy, OH.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quite frankly, the streaming options suck. I have yet to find any of them that work reliably or even have halfway decent quality. I don't even bother with them any more because it's too frustrating.

Last season I did the Game Rewind through NFL.com with mixed results. The quality on that wasn't always great either and their tablet app sucked. I wanted to watch these games on my Android tablet and their app just wouldn't work on it.

I'm currently debating going back to DirecTV so that I can get the NFL package again this year.

Overseas SuperFan Array title="TheRuneMeister is an unknown quantity at this point"> TheRuneMeister's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    I hear (don't know this for certain) that you can ask your DirecTV installer to set your home location to Pittsburgh so you get Pgh local stations instead of Troy, OH.
    Dunno if you can do that or not. I get all the New Orleans stations but I don't get Biloxi or Mobile like I would with cable.

Overseas SuperFan Array title="TheRuneMeister is an unknown quantity at this point"> TheRuneMeister's Avatar

Just wanted to post some details on how to get the AWESOME NFL Gamepass service in the US:
    http://help.unotelly.com/support/art...thout-blackout

With that, you can access ALL games. Live and archived.(Including pre and post season) And you get NFL Network and RedZone. In 'HD' (it is still a streaming service, but it looks great on 85" my projection)
    UnoTelly is legit.(as in works perfectly, and is not illegal...at least in europe) I use it to access US netflix/huli from europe. NFL Gamepass is without a doubt the best way to get NFL content live and archived. I've used since the first year it was launched.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

As I've said before from time to time, the absolute best way to never miss a game is to send a Slingbox to someone in Pittsburgh and watch their live feed during the games. Of course, the big issue there is that if you don't have any friends or family who actually live in Pittsburgh, it won't work. It's also just the tiniest bit against the rules - it says in the Slingbox user agreement that you're only supposed to use it for the owner to watch his own TV while away from home - but there's no way at all of checking or enforcing that.

The other major benefit of this is that after the initial cost of buying a slingbox ($50 on ebay), you're set up for good; no further fees, or signing up and canceling again next year, or spending half an hour on the phone with customer service next time, or whatever.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    As I've said before from time to time, the absolute best way to never miss a game is to send a Slingbox to someone in Pittsburgh and watch their live feed during the games. Of course, the big issue there is that if you don't have any friends or family who actually live in Pittsburgh, it won't work. It's also just the tiniest bit against the rules - it says in the Slingbox user agreement that you're only supposed to use it for the owner to watch his own TV while away from home - but there's no way at all of checking or enforcing that.

The other major benefit of this is that after the initial cost of buying a slingbox ($50 on ebay), you're set up for good; no further fees, or signing up and canceling again next year, or spending half an hour on the phone with customer service next time, or whatever.
    That sounds awesome actually. My Uncle lives in Pitt. Hmmm.

Junior Member Array title="chewbacca77 is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

I've been watching games via slingbox for years now, its the perfect way. The only hindrance I've found is the upload speed of the person sending the signal. But it seems nowadays high speed is easier to come by. When I first started my folks had a dsl as did I and at times when action got heavy it got a little blocky, now we both have cable and our speeds are great so its perfect. Even with the 2 Dsls watching games was still easy, I would just have to refresh occasionaly.. I can't agree with Steelreserve enough here it really is an easy way to make sure you don't miss the games. Not too mention my folks have the dvr, so they can record the game and I can go back and watch it later!

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I just decided to make the switch back to DirecTV, which gives me the NFL Sunday Ticket Max for free. I can't wait for some Steeler football!!!

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

FTA used to be great. 1000 channels including all CONUS plus all channels in Canada with east and west coast broadcasts.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I just decided to make the switch back to DirecTV, which gives me the NFL Sunday Ticket Max for free. I can't wait for some Steeler football!!!
    I just did the same thing. I couldn't pass up the deal they were offering for me to come back. Free NFL MAX package, all the channels I get now, free installation, no equipment fees....AND, since we did it at Sams club, a $200 gift card to SAMs

- - - Updated - - -

And all of that for $30 less than I'm paying now. After 12 months it goes up to about what I'm paying now, so I'm not really losing anything

I just did the same thing. I couldn't pass up the deal they were offering for me to come back. Free NFL MAX package, all the channels I get now, free installation, no equipment fees....AND, since we did it at Sams club, a $200 gift card to SAMs

- - - Updated - - -

And all of that for $30 less than I'm paying now. After 12 months it goes up to about what I'm paying now, so I'm not really losing anything
    Nice bonus with the Sam's Club $$.

I left DirecTV a little over a year ago after being with them since 1997. The DVRs that I had sucked and DirecTV wouldn't upgrade me to the Genie system so I switched to Dish and the Hopper. It's a decent system but you can't watch live TV on all 3 TVs at the same time. My bill also jumped up $30 a month after the first year.

If DirecTV would have taken care of me previously, I never would have left. I'm glad to be going back though because their Genie system is superior to the Hopper.

I got the genie system too, not sure how it competes with what I had I'll have to look it up

I got the genie system too, not sure how it competes with what I had I'll have to look it up
    The big problem that I have with the Hopper is that you can't watch/record 3 different live shows at the same time so we keep running in to conflicts when all 3 TVs are being used. The Genie system will let you watch up to 4 different shows at the same time or record up to 5 different shows at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    That only works if you're close enough to Pittsburgh. The satellites only broadcast certain regions to those regions. When I was in Louisville, we were moving to CA, and I had them switch DirecTV before we moved. We lost all our local channels for a week until we actually packed up and went out to CA. So, maybe Troy OH would work, don't know. But I doubt anyplace out west or down south would work.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by TheRuneMeister View Post
    Just wanted to post some details on how to get the AWESOME NFL Gamepass service in the US:
    http://help.unotelly.com/support/art...thout-blackout

With that, you can access ALL games. Live and archived.(Including pre and post season) And you get NFL Network and RedZone. In 'HD' (it is still a streaming service, but it looks great on 85" my projection)
    UnoTelly is legit.(as in works perfectly, and is not illegal...at least in europe) I use it to access US netflix/huli from europe. NFL Gamepass is without a doubt the best way to get NFL content live and archived. I've used since the first year it was launched.

I have never needed to use any of these sort of services but if it is as good as you say it is direct TV will loose a lot of business if the word gets out

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I have never needed to use any of these sort of services but if it is as good as you say it is direct TV will loose a lot of business if the word gets out
    DirecTV is considering opting out of their contract with the NFL (news from March, 2013). They're also considering sharing it. But the rumor is the NFL Sunday Ticket could be a thing of the past.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by NJarhead View Post
    DirecTV is considering opting out of their contract with the NFL (news from March, 2013). They're also considering sharing it. But the rumor is the NFL Sunday Ticket could be a thing of the past.

if they do they need a new scheme to get customers , most people I know have left them ( including myself ) they have priced themselves out of the market for most consumers when cable is nearly the same price and provides much better internet speeds in their bundles unless you live in a fios area ..the only people I know that have kept DTV is for the Sunday ticket ( who wants that dish on their roof to begin with ? )

Back in the 90s when hacking the cards was big business well that was another story for another day LOL

if they do they need a new scheme to get customers , most people I know have left them ( including myself ) they have priced themselves out of the market for most consumers when cable is nearly the same price and provides much better internet speeds in their bundles unless you live in a fios area ..the only people I know that have kept DTV is for the Sunday ticket ( who wants that dish on their roof to begin with ? )

Back in the 90s when hacking the cards was big business well that was another story for another day LOL
    I sold a couple of those cards (unhacked) for about $100 each! haha

They did bring the price down a little and offer a couple packages. Got an email yesterday offering all the pre-season games live for $19.99. I had to laugh.

Well, its been available for quite a while and I don't think DirectTV is losing any sleep over it yet. But yes, UnoTelly works, and GamePass is awesome. I send it from an iPad to an AppleTV, and it works perfectly and looks great.

I don't know of anyone that bundles their services. You really don't save much by doing that and you end up with an inferior product. For TV cable sucks compared to satellite. I have cable for internet. That's where it shines.

I've compared DirecTV, Dish, U-Verse and the local cable company (Charter) and the prices are very similar for similar services. U-Verse is the most expensive. The cable companies don't have a DVR system that can even come close to the Hopper from Dish or Genie from DirecTV.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I don't know of anyone that bundles their services. You really don't save much by doing that and you end up with an inferior product. For TV cable sucks compared to satellite. I have cable for internet. That's where it shines.

I've compared DirecTV, Dish, U-Verse and the local cable company (Charter) and the prices are very similar for similar services. U-Verse is the most expensive. The cable companies don't have a DVR system that can even come close to the Hopper from Dish or Genie from DirecTV.
    I had DTV , went back to cable , get just as many channels for my $ ( channels that I will actually watch that is ) and have 2 DVR recorders in house that work just fine ... I pay way less bundling my phone .internet and TV than I would having DTV and then cable internet and verizon phone .....

now if Fios would come to my area I would consider a bundle with directv just to get the fios service ,,, ( I prefer as few of bills as possible , as it stands I went total electric so I have electric , cable and garbage bill ,car insurance and that is it... I pay the garbage semi annually and same with car insurance ) I hate bills !!!!!

Senior Member Array title="Mistah Q is a jewel in the rough"> Mistah Q's Avatar

I had DTV , went back to cable , get just as many channels for my $ ( channels that I will actually watch that is ) and have 2 DVR recorders in house that work just fine ... I pay way less bundling my phone .internet and TV than I would having DTV and then cable internet and verizon phone .....

now if Fios would come to my area I would consider a bundle with directv just to get the fios service ,,, ( I prefer as few of bills as possible , as it stands I went total electric so I have electric , cable and garbage bill ,car insurance and that is it... I pay the garbage semi annually and same with car insurance ) I hate bills !!!!!
    I hate bills too - eventually my house will be converted entirely to electric and when my roof needs redone in about 10 years I'll have solar shingles on the southern slope of it, etc. Not because I'm green but because I'm cheap and I want the government and bill collectors off my back!

As far as "tv" goes I have cable internet only... rigged up my own phone solution that runs through the internet; have an antenna and a Roku (and netflix) for TV; built my own DVR out of a computer and a PCI tuner that can stream to any TV I damn well please via an XBox or other device...

Get the networks over the air and can stream plenty of TBS, USA, and so forth, content straight from their websites. The only trouble is getting things like NFL games (well I can get Lions games here but who wants that!). I'd go for the kind of season pass you can get in Europe... too bad the NFL will probably do everything it can for that to not be available to us. I can usually find online a radio station streaming the audio of the game combined with a stat tracker website but that my friends is a meager way to get Steelers action...

Cable deals and network affiliations are big moneymakers; alas that if you're not a part of the system it can be tough getting Steelers games.

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw

Senior Member Array title="Mistah Q is a jewel in the rough"> Mistah Q's Avatar

If they dump their NFL contract they might suddenly become quite a bit cheaper just by that... I wonder if this sunday ticket giveaway this summer is in part a bellwether to see just what kind of schemes will and won't fly.

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw