Thread: SEC coaches debate targeting rule

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

SEC coaches debate targeting rule

"Several SEC coaches were riled Tuesday upon hearing comments from ACC coordinator of officials Doug Rhoads that he would have penalized South Carolina's Jadeveon Clowney for targeting on his now-famous hit in the Outback Bowl last season.

Mike Pereira, the former NFL vice president of officiating, also agreed there was a "great chance" Clowney's hit would have resulted in an ejection in 2013 under the new targeting rules."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-ejection-2013

Under this new targeting rule, if a player gets called for it during the game there is a 15 yard penalty and the player is ejected. They can review the hit and the ejection could be reversed, but the 15 yards will still be enforced.

This is scary, and I for one hope the NFL doesn't decide to do something similar.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

Re: SEC coaches debate targeting rule

Overall, from what the breakdown of the rules are, there's one main problem that I can find:

Launch: When a player leaves his feet.
    Thrust: When a player hits upward with his helmet.
    Strike: Striking the head and neck area and crown of the helmet.
    Leading: Leading with the top of the helmet.

"Thrust." The Launch, Strike, and Leading rules are fine, it's already part of the NFL rulebook and since, in essence, college is supposed to train you for a career, college football rules should follow more closely to NFL football rules to train players for their career.

The "thrust" however, is pretty stupid. Every coach, in every sport with purposeful body contact teaches that when you hit a person, you explode into them. That's done in hockey, football, etc. I can't understand how that rule would be enforced without tossing players every single play.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Imagine the outrage on this thread if this was the NFL doing this, not the NCAA. But because it's not Goodell making the rule, it doesn't really matter.

Well what I took from it, is that at least they have decided to review the ejections. We are talking about throwing a kid out of the game for something that could be completely unintentional. However I can still see players getting ejected if they break one of those four rules Preacher mentioned and I still do not agree with a player being removed from the game for something like that.

We will have to wait and see what happens, but this will be a big story at some point in the year I feel.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    Well what I took from it, is that at least they have decided to review the ejections. We are talking about throwing a kid out of the game for something that could be completely unintentional. However I can still see players getting ejected if they break one of those four rules Preacher mentioned and I still do not agree with a player being removed from the game for something like that.

We will have to wait and see what happens, but this will be a big story at some point in the year I feel.
    Yeah, there's the obvious problem of the rule itself. To immediately eject is extremely harsh. And I'm sure the article said it, but if it happens in the second half, you can't play in the first half of the following game either. Potential for huge problems.

Here's the kicker. Since the NCAA rules apply to everyone, what are some FCS and nearly all D2 and D3 teams to do? They don't have the luxury of replay. So they only get one crack to make the correct call; on the field when it happens. It's unfair to the refs to make such a judgment and unfair to the teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Yeah, there's the obvious problem of the rule itself. To immediately eject is extremely harsh. And I'm sure the article said it, but if it happens in the second half, you can't play in the first half of the following game either. Potential for huge problems.

Here's the kicker. Since the NCAA rules apply to everyone, what are some FCS and nearly all D2 and D3 teams to do? They don't have the luxury of replay. So they only get one crack to make the correct call; on the field when it happens. It's unfair to the refs to make such a judgment and unfair to the teams.
    I never thought about that! You are right that does present an even bigger problem.

We've all seen it happen. A ref can make a split second decision in the heat of the moment and that can now cost a kid the rest of a game and as you said potentially part of the next game.