Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jonathan Dwyer on a Mission to go from Trade Bait to Pittsburgh Steelers Starting RB

Hybrid View

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Jonathan Dwyer on a Mission to go from Trade Bait to Pittsburgh Steelers Starting RB

When the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted Michigan State running back Le’Veon Bell in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft it said a lot about the players on the roster. The Steelers clearly aren’t sold on Isaac Redman or Jonathan Dwyer being their long-term starting running back; so much so, in fact, that they spent a second round pick on a running back.

That was, of course, never said in words by the Steelers front office, but their actions, as they say, speak louder than words. And those actions have Dwyer and Redman working hard to show that the organization, and most everyone else for that matter, underestimated them.

Redman is said to be 10-15 pounds lighter than the end of last season and is working on increasing his speed. His goal is to be the Steelers starting running back and in Todd Haley’s offense that means a mix of speed and power as well as the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.

“I was disappointed individually, struggling with injuries,” Redman said about his 2012 season. “We had our spurts. We had a couple of games where we looked great and a couple where we looked awful. We need to be more consistent.”

full story @ http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar..._back/13983532

Dwyer @JDwyer27 excited for camp man to prove everyone wrong
    Last edited by stillers4me; 07-07-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: fixed link

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Re: Jonathan Dwyer on a Mission to go from Trade Bait to Pittsburgh Steelers Starting

Couldn't read the whole article, but it seems to me that Jonathan should have started his mission earlier, by passing up a few more Burger Kings.

AML

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Re: Jonathan Dwyer on a Mission to go from Trade Bait to Pittsburgh Steelers Starting

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Couldn't read the whole article, but it seems to me that Jonathan should have started his mission earlier, by passing up a few more Burger Kings.
    Agreed.

If he suffered from a "Burger Deficit Disorder" we might not even be having this discussion.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    What TX said!

The Princess' Daddy! Array title="stlrtruck will become famous soon enough"> stlrtruck's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Physically I believe Dwyer has the ability to be a starter in Haley's system, and for now Bell could spell him throughout the game. However, I'm not sure if he can handle the mentality of being a starter. He had some issues last season that costs us a few games. I'd like to see him develop and at least push for a starting position. He reminds me a bit of Bettis, but watching him it appears as if he's missing something within to be 'that' back.

60 MINS, 53 MEN, 1 NATION
    STEELERS NATION

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

i like him, but this might be a little to late for him he had some great games last year, then started taking himself out of the game cause he was tired and most of those the drive staled. i hope he does just come in a blow our socks off!

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Once we see Le'veon Bell running in that zone blocking scheme we wont even remember who Dwyer is. Bell is a beast there really is no need for dwyer, and for a change of pace we have howling.

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    Once we see Le'veon Bell running in that zone blocking scheme we wont even remember who Dwyer is. Bell is a beast there really is no need for dwyer, and for a change of pace we have howling.
    What has he done to deserve to start? That's the same question you asked for Dwyer.

Bell has yet to carry the ball in the NFL. Let's see what he can do before claiming him to be the savior of the running game. The O-line still needs to consistently control the scrimmage.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    What has he done to deserve to start? That's the same question you asked for Dwyer.

Bell has yet to carry the ball in the NFL. Let's see what he can do before claiming him to be the savior of the running game. The O-line still needs to consistently control the scrimmage.
    He was 2nd round draft pick and we have dwyer and redman does this question really have to be asked?Also he ran the zone blocking scheme in college, do you really think its just a coincidence we are implementing the zone blocking scheme. Hes more talented than any back we have on the roster, and yes dwyer still has not done anything to show he can start in this league that's why we have this thread.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Bell is a number 1 draft pick and we have redman and dwyer does this question really have to be asked? Also he ran the zone blocking scheme in college, do you really think its just a coincidence we are implementing the zone blocking scheme. Hes more talented than any back we have on the roster, and yes dwyer still has not done anything to show he can start in this league that's why we have this thread.
    Bell is a 2nd round pick. TC is there for a reason. Hope the coaches give more credence to on field performance instead of reputation. McLendon should have played a lot more than he did last year. The RB situation was a mess because of all the injuries. Earn the spot on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Bell is a 2nd round pick. TC is there for a reason. Hope the coaches give more credence to on field performance instead of reputation. McLendon should have played a lot more than he did last year. The RB situation was a mess because of all the injuries. Earn the spot on the field.
    Ya I corrected it I was reading something else and typing at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    If dwyer was a starting caliber running back there is no way we where going to spend a 2nd round pick on Bell. Bell is going to start this season because redman and dwyer lack the talent to be consistent starters.

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

He was 2nd round draft pick and we have dwyer and redman does this question really have to be asked?Also he ran the zone blocking scheme in college, do you really think its just a coincidence we are implementing the zone blocking scheme. Hes more talented than any back we have on the roster, and yes dwyer still has not done anything to show he can start in this league that's why we have this thread.
    That doesn't mean he deserves a chance to start. I asked what has he done, not what the Steeler have done. This is the same question you ask of other players you dislike for personal reasons.

Bell hasn't played a down. I couldn't tell you if he is more talented based of his college games. He wasn't that impressive in college. He runs too upright and his vision is not that good. Remember Mendenhall? He was a bust.

It all depends on the O-line. Until they can consistently open holes it does not matter who the RB is

That being said, I don't care who starts just as long as they get the job done.
    Hater = Realist

That doesn't mean he deserves a chance to start. I asked what has he done, not what the Steeler have done. This is the same question you ask of other players you dislike for personal reasons.

Bell hasn't played a down. I couldn't tell you if he is more talented based of his college games. He wasn't that impressive in college. He runs too upright and his vision is not that good. Remember Mendenhall? He was a bust.

It all depends on the O-line. Until they can consistently open holes it does not matter who the RB is

A bit of an overstatement, no?

He rushed for 928 yards (21st) in 2011, and 9 TDs (tied for 10th)
    He rushed for 1273 yards (7th) in 2010, and 13 TDs (2nd)
    He rushed for 1108 yards (14th) in 2009 and 7 TDs (tied for 16th) (first year starting)

2009 was our worst year for an O line. 2010 and '11 wasn't much better. He wasn't anything to write home about, but neither was he a "bust." Kendrell Bell was a bust. Troy Edwards was a bust. Tim Worley was a bust. So was Tom Rickets and Huey Richardson.

I think we need to readjust our thinking on what a "bust" is, because it gets thrown around a lot, and really doesn't fit most of the time. Just because a guy that is drafted in the first round doesn't pan out long term doesn't mean he's a bust.

Bell doesn't have to do anything as of right now, because as of right now he is the most talented back on our roster. Yes I remember mendenhall who I thought was very solid despite some major injuries, I take mendenhall over dwyer every single time. Bell will start the season as our running back you can bank on that, we didn't draft him in the second round and switch to a zone blocking scheme because we thought he would be a nice back up fpr jonathan dwyer!

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

No reason for it to be "too late". If he can change his habits I have no doubt he'll earn the job. Problem is, at this point I doubt he can change his habits. We'll see. It's the same story with Woodley. I'm trying to believe in these guys.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    No reason for it to be "too late". If he can change his habits I have no doubt he'll earn the job. Problem is, at this point I doubt he can change his habits. We'll see. It's the same story with Woodley. I'm trying to believe in these guys.
    How can you compare Woodley to Dwyer? Woodley's had one bad year in 5 NFL seasons. He was playing at All Pro level in 2011 prior to blowing out his hamstring. As opposed to Dwyer who has had had a few good games and that"s it.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

If the 3 had odds to who emerged the starter Im guessing it would look something like
    Redman - Even
    Bell - 3-1
    Dwyer - 5/2
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

They both arguably had disappointing seasons last year due to being overweight and lazy and questions if this year will be any different.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    They both arguably had disappointing seasons last year due to being overweight and lazy and questions if this year will be any different.
    I would say they inarguably had poor seasons last year. But I honestly don't know that Woodley was out of shape as many claim. I've heard and believe that Woodley bulked up too much last year and was muscle bound and slow because of it. Rather than being lazy he tried to be James Harrison instead of staying true to his body type and abilities. So I think he'll have a huge rebound season and put up double digit sacks before December is out.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I would say they inarguably had poor seasons last year. But I honestly don't know that Woodley was out of shape as many claim. I've heard and believe that Woodley bulked up too much last year and was muscle bound and slow because of it. Rather than being lazy he tried to be James Harrison instead of staying true to his body type and abilities. So I think he'll have a huge rebound season and put up double digit sacks before December is out.
    That is a valid point.

I remember my junoir year in high school I was all county in soccer and even tied the school record for gaols in a game (4)...however between junior and senior year I pumped a lot of iron put on about 15 lbs....I was still good but my production dropeed. I was not as quick or fast as I was 15 lbs lighter plus I did not work my legs at all.

So I agree, and part of the problem may also be the types of workouts he is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    That is a valid point.

I remember my junoir year in high school I was all county in soccer and even tied the school record for gaols in a game (4)...however between junior and senior year I pumped a lot of iron put on about 15 lbs....I was still good but my production dropeed. I was not as quick or fast as I was 15 lbs lighter plus I did not work my legs at all.

So I agree, and part of the problem may also be the types of workouts he is doing.
    I think he's become aware of this and has worked to get to the place he was before. If he can get back to being the player he was in the first 7 games of 2011 ( before he blew out his hammy against the Patriots) then we'll have a helluva LOLB. Which would really aid in the development of Jarvis Jones.

I think he's become aware of this and has worked to get to the place he was before. If he can get back to being the player he was in the first 7 games of 2011 ( before he blew out his hammy against the Patriots) then we'll have a helluva LOLB. Which would really aid in the development of Jarvis Jones.
    I don't want to be overly dramatic but this could be a pivotal point in Woodley's career.

After 1 1/2 consecutive years hampered by injuries if he is not injury free most (if not all) of the season he may have already seen his best days.

Senior Member Array title="blackngldblood has a spectacular aura about"> blackngldblood's Avatar

I just recently re-watched the patriots/Steelers game from 2011, and Wood was eating brady for dinner that night before he blew the tire out. If we get him back in pre hammy blown out condition, he is gonna feast this season, cause the running sentiment is he is a fat lazy piece of shit. I expect him to come in blazing under the radar.

Dwinsgames

Dwyer has the skill set to be a feature back in this league , what he lacks is the maturity to be a consistent performer , how much he has matured as a person and player will IMO be the primary factor of whom gets the start ...if Dwyer has matured it will be an uphill battle for Bell ( not a battle he can not win but a battle none the less and the victor should be determined on the field in TC and Pre season based on first team reps not mop up duty performances vs guys who will be flipping burgers come October )

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I was a big fan of Dwyer when he was in school. Dwyer does have the talent to play in this league, even start, talent was never the question. Has he, or can he, develop the mental toughness, and can he become tough enough to play a complete season. Having Bell may help him. If Bell is what we hope he is, this could take some of the pressure off him. The weight problem was a big concern for me. It make me question if he will do what he needs to all the time, not just part of the time.

AML

Senior Member Array title="KeiselPower99 is on a distinguished road"> KeiselPower99's Avatar

I don't care if its Bell Dwyer or Redman. All I care about is someone gaining yards and the offense scoring touchdowns not field goals this year.

Is this general fail at the RB position what we have to look forward to at QB once Roethlisberger hangs them up?

Justs show you how much of a crap shoot the draft is. It is the unmeasurables that make the difference. How do you measure heart? Mendy didn't have it. He had the talent, but not the drive to succeed. Dwyer shows flashes of competency, yet he can't get in shape or keep his weight in check. Redman is an adequate "change up" back, but injuries last year hampered his chance at being the premier back. Let's hope Bell lives up to his draft projections.

Banned Array title="Spike is just really nice">

Offenses don't win games these days by running the ball these days...it's a passing league

so I see really only 2 main questions...

Can the defense generate a pass rush?

Can the new OL and it's OT's protect Ben?

Dwinsgames

its amusing to me that a team and a bunch of draftniks rate a player as a first round talent and they get drafted as such and do not perform as anticipated and suddenly the Player is labeled a bust , the reality of it is should not the scouts and draftniks be considered the bust after all they are the ones who failed to properly evaluate the players ability ..... Mendenhall did NOTHING as a pro that the warning signs where not already abundantly clear ... he was soft , it was clear he was soft before being drafted , football was not his top priority in life he openly stated that before being drafted , he came from a program that was not conducive of what would be asked of him as a pro ...everyone knew that going in ... yet they still graded him out as a first round talent ... so who failed Mendenhall or the Evaluator's ??