Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The "N-word".

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Re: The "N-word".

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Go out in public and yell each word and see which one gets your ass kicked the fastest.
    Its a comparison to show how a word can be taken positively and negatively by a certain group of people depending on the person using the word. if I walk into room full of women and yell nigga probably wont get my ass kicked but if I start yelling bitch at them my guess is that will offend them more assuming its not black women of course.

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    It's not that simple, though. I find the word to be highly offensive, and to me, it screams "ignorant racist." Since I am against racism and against ignorance, I am 100% against the use of the word, again, in any context. There's a reason why the word is censored in this forum and in most forums. However, I do understand and recognize when someone uses the word in a positive or negative way, as most of the members of my family use the "positive" connotation. I still cringe when I hear it, regardless.
    That's understandable. Their is a lot of heavy history behind the word. But it gets thrown around so liberally now that it makes it hard to take it seriously as a racial slur. It's probably a generational thing. I guess the further away we move from the source the more distilled the word becomes. It's frustrating to have to deal with the double standards.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Exactly.

What so many people forget, is that it's not "just a word." Words are powerful. Words create and destroy. don't believe me? Try getting married without the words, "now I pronounce you husband and wife. (or husband and husband, or wife and wife . . . or whatever it is now a days).

Let's go back and look at how words are used in history, shall we? (I'm referring here to way in which words are used to subjugate people, not to the fact that it was Hitler, I'm not going for a Reductio Ad Hitler argument here).

"Jew"

Three words were introduced to the German language in the lead up to the holocaust. "Untermensch," or "subhuman" was used as a way to dehumanize Jews. "Judenschwein" or "Jewpig" and "Jewsow" were used also to dehumanize the Jews. The last two referenced a common depiction of Jews nursing on a sow. Hitler also pushed "Judenscheisse" or "Jewshit" when he "assigned the lowest possible value to something." Also, "verjudet" or "jewed" when a situation went pear shaped.

Doing this helped dehumanize the Jews in the German eyes to the point that most of them didn't blink when it came to the ghettos and subsequent train rides to the camps. Notice that the key here, was how he used "Jew" and turned the word itself into a derogatory name.

"Fetus"

Now before anyone gets their feathers all ruffled, hear me out. Even though Fetus (also faetus) was used since the 1500's, in medical journals, "baby" and "fetus" was synonymous. For instance, 1897 American Journal of Medical Sciences, page 370, "The circumstance were favorable for the descent of the child, and the head was delivered. . . the child's leg." Speaking of a woman shot while pregnant. "the child was killed by the shot."

However, in the lead up to abortion in law, "baby" was faded out, so that it is no longer a "baby" in the mother's stomach. It is ONLY a "fetus." Baby is not the correct term, and you will not find any medical journals that refer to the baby or child as such until after birth. Why? I submit once again, because using "fetus" dehumanizes the child, which then allows for the medical profession and people all over the country to support what would otherwise be considered murder (the taking of a human life, rather than the removal of a fetus).

Those are but two example. I could use "Jap/Nip" to reference how the American military desensitized serviceman in the Japanese theatre of war, not to mention "Kraut" in the western theatre.

In short, using such words allows the human mind to dissociation the object of those words from similarity to self. the result, is that the "other" becomes wholly other, and no longer in connection with any self-identification. Once that line is crossed, then we begin to accept things being done that we wouldn't otherwise accept.

Thus, when N****r is used, it has the same connotations as above. It's why "boy" "colored" etc. etc. all go in and out of fashion. Because in each period of time, a new way to dissociate and thus dehumanize a person is used.

So for those of you saying "it's just a word." No, it's not. Not by a long shot. Words have meaning, power, and create our reality.
    I get what you're trying to say, but at the end of the day words only have as much power as our ego's allow them to. A hundred or so years down the line I doubt this conversation will even be taking place - not with this particular word anyway. As I said, the further away you move from the source the weaker the connotation becomes. The word itself - the arrangement of six letters - doesn't mean anything. Past is prologue.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    I get what you're trying to say, but at the end of the day words only have as much power as our ego's allow them to. A hundred or so years down the line I doubt this conversation will even be taking place - not with this particular word anyway. As I said, the further away you move from the source the weaker the connotation becomes. The word itself - the arrangement of six letters - doesn't mean anything. Past is prologue.
    I disagree. Take the strongest woman you can find, put her in a verbally abusive relationship, and watch what happens to her.

Beyond that, what I'm arguing isn't the power my words have over you, but the power my words have over me. It's a way to desensitize myself to the reality. That is where the problem lies, and why I disagree that it's "just a word." There's no such thing as "just a word." As I said before, our words are what create/reflect our reality.

Of course, I'm saying all these things within the realm of private/public pressure to stop someone from using such language, not in the realm of legislation, because people still have a first amendment right to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I disagree. Take the strongest woman you can find, put her in a verbally abusive relationship, and watch what happens to her.

Beyond that, what I'm arguing isn't the power my words have over you, but the power my words have over me. It's a way to desensitize myself to the reality. That is where the problem lies, and why I disagree that it's "just a word." There's no such thing as "just a word." As I said before, our words are what create/reflect our reality.

Of course, I'm saying all these things within the realm of private/public pressure to stop someone from using such language, not in the realm of legislation, because people still have a first amendment right to use them.
    I understand what you're saying. But I do think getting offended by a word itself is sort of silly, no offense intended to anyone. I think what you're really angry at is the intent behind the communication that has been used in a negative way towards you - not the word itself. It's used as both an offensive and endearing term. Depending on who you are generationally, locationally or by heritage - the same word can mean many different things. That's not to say I like that or it's okay, but I think that's how it is. But regardless of semantics, I just wish there was a standard in society that was easy to follow instead of having to deal with double standards.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Preacher,
    Beyond that, what I'm arguing isn't the power my words have over you, but the power my words have over me. It's a way to desensitize myself to the reality. That is where the problem lies, and why I disagree that it's "just a word."
    To desensitize yourself to *what* reality? While racial identity politics are still prevalent, we are now several generations removed from systemic or ingrained social racism.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

What about the "H" word. I think I'll be as offended by people saying "Honkie" as others may be about saying ******.

Also, what if I wanted to call someone cheap, can I not use the word niggardly? It's not even the same spelling, but I guarantee you there would be an uproar. It just goes to show the hypocrisy in this country. And, I'm willing to bet on this site. Not knowing if it is or is not before clicking "post quick reply", I'd bet the word honkie is NOT in the filter but the word ****** is.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    What about the "H" word. I think I'll be as offended by people saying "Honkie" as others may be about saying ******.

Also, what if I wanted to call someone cheap, can I not use the word niggardly? It's not even the same spelling, but I guarantee you there would be an uproar. It just goes to show the hypocrisy in this country. And, I'm willing to bet on this site. Not knowing if it is or is not before clicking "post quick reply", I'd bet the word honkie is NOT in the filter but the word ****** is.
    testing Honkie

we shall see

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post

I think I'd just laugh if someone called me honkie. My first thought when I hear that word is George Jefferson.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I think I'd just laugh if someone called me honkie. My first thought when I hear that word is George Jefferson.
    Archie Bunker ( and he was almost never politically correct and when he was it was by complete accident and for the wrong reasons ) never came back with the N word , he said Coloreds ....

that is not intended to be a knock on anyone of color , but the reality is we will never be complete equals until all prejudices are left behind ...

I treat people as they treat me regardless of heritage , if you are good , kind and just towards me I am the same towards you ...

but it wears thin on me ( quickly ) when I hear people complain about an injustice when so many injustices are prevalent towards my race too without a second thought about it ....

just how fast would the NAACP be all over the media if a new beauty pageant was started called Miss White America ?

lots of other examples too ...

this is an example it took till 1996 to get a white player in this schools athletic program and even once he did get in the problems did not end there http://partners.nytimes.com/library/...96race-ra.html

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    Seems to be working pretty well for them [still] so far..
    Agreed. I certainly don't see it working against them. Quite the opposite, IMO.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

http://www.hulu.com/watch/1477

I still find this hilarious.

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/1477

I still find this hilarious.
    That is hilarious....no way that would be done today in this PC world gone mad

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

"You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    That is hilarious....no way that would be done today in this PC world gone mad
    we are not allowed to laugh at ourselves anymore.

If you think about it, there are lots of shows that we watched growing up they wouldn't be able to do today because political correctness has gotten out of control.
    Even some recent ones that they sucked all the fun out of...

/ miss that show

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    If you think about it, there are lots of shows that we watched growing up they wouldn't be able to do today because political correctness has gotten out of control.
    Even some recent ones that they sucked all the fun out of...

/ miss that show
    Sanford and Son was one. Redd Foxx pushed the envelope but he was funny. I remember him using the n word on that show.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Sanford and Son was one. Redd Foxx pushed the envelope but he was funny. I remember him using the n word on that show.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

and a BUNCH more

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    The "Gorilla Cookies" line is still an all-time classic.

Even "Weezy" wasn't above saying it:

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Even "Weezy" wasn't above saying it:

George Jefferson was a gas .... listen to the British socialite accent

this stuff was very funny , all of it .... but it is not acceptable in today's society unless it is black on black doing it , and that is just not right , it has to end across the board or it will never end at all

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post

George Jefferson was a gas .... listen to the British socialite accent

this stuff was very funny , all of it .... but it is not acceptable in today's society unless it is black on black doing it , and that is just not right , it has to end across the board or it will never end at all
    Notice how both of these are done, too. The first is investigating and comparing one word to the other and actually bringing up racism in all forms. The second is within its own cultural context.

Both of those are far, FAR away from a white person just up and calling a black person N* in any way, shape or form.

One thing I will say, however, is that the current PC/racial police mindset in this country has all but destroyed any real hopes of deal with racism in a way that actually gets to the root of issues for people.

I mean, seriously, if someone has a question about white culture, black culture, Korean culture, etc., the best thing they can do is remove the ignorance by asking the question. However, we've even made asking the question akin to racism, and it's a shame.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Watch from the 1.22 mark on.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Is it September yet?

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

For any baseball fans, listen to Birbiglia's bit about Dennis Eckersley. Hilarious story.

Dwinsgames

a very good article by a not so good " journalist "

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/w...rroding-071513

Senior Member Array title="KeiselPower99 is on a distinguished road"> KeiselPower99's Avatar

As long as we keep feeding into racism with double standards will it never go away.