Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bush Advisor: Hastings Crash ‘Consistent With a Car Cyberattack’

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: Bush Advisor: Hastings Crash ‘Consistent With a Car Cyberattack’

Quote Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
    That also could be a rush to judgment by law enforcement. Hastings' fingerprints in Hastings' car doesn't prove the body was Hastings', but for a coroner who probably deals with these types of deaths routinely, it was probably enough for him to write this off his list and pass the buck to the toxicologist.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I find the death suspicious and I won't be satisfied until the toxicology report finally comes back.
    I think I'm in about the same place. Not "suspicious", exactly... but definitely worth keeping an eye on.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I think there is more to this than meets the eye.

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Details uncovered by this reporter shed new light into the June 18 death of journalist Michael Hastings.

Hastings' friend and confidant SSgt. Joe Biggs disclosed a macabre twist in the award-winning journalist's death in a suspicious single-car accident. According to SSgt. Biggs, "Michael Hastings' body was returned to Vermont in an urn." He further alleged, "Family members did not want Michael's body cremated."

This revelation provides another wrinkle in the Los Angeles Police Department's (LAPD) handling of a case they labeled "no foul play" only hours after the writer's death.

Nevertheless LA County assistant corner, Ed Winter, said it took two days to identify the burned-beyond recognition body of Hastings. Officials also confirmed that an autopsy has been performed, but the cause of death is still pending. Unfortunately the family will have to wait for cause of death answers as LAPD media spokesperson Lieutenant Andrew Neiman indicated, "It will take several weeks to get the toxicology results."

SSgt. Biggs also emphatically stated that liquor was not a factor in the accident, as Hastings hadn't consumed alcoholic beverages in five years.

So why is the LAPD delaying the reports?

It was SSgt. Biggs who released the following chilling email to members of the media; "Subject: FBI Investigation, re: NSA -Hey (redacted names) — the Feds are interviewing my "close friends and associates." Perhaps if the authorities arrive "BuzzFeed GQ," er HQ, may be wise to immediately request legal counsel before any conversations or interviews about our news gathering practices or related journalism issues. Also: I'm onto a big story, and need to go off the rada[r] for a bit. All the best, and hope to see you all soon. Michael"

The receipt of this email from Hastings tipped the scales for SSgt. Biggs. "This wasn't an accident and I will continue to investigate his death."

As an investigative journalist, Hastings saw his fair share of threats. One particular passage in Hastings book, "The Operators: The Wild and Terrifying Inside Story of America's War in Afghanistan," revealed that a former McChrystal staff member made a death threat. "We'll hunt you down and kill you if we don't like what you write," the unnamed staffer said. Hastings coolly retorted: "Well, I get death threats like that about once a year, so no worries."

Despite the LAPD's categorization of the Hasting fatal accident as a "no (evidence of) foul play," LAPD continues to ignore FOIA (CPRA in Calif.) requests made by San Diego 6 News for the police report, 9/11 call, autopsy, bomb squad and toxicology reports, or make the Mercedes available for inspection which only fuels conjecture.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Official Troll Array title="The Patriot is a name known to all"> The Patriot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygree...e-wheel-video/

As I drove their vehicles for more than an hour, Miller and Valasek showed that they’ve reverse-engineered enough of the software of the Escape and the Toyota Prius (both the 2010 model) to demonstrate a range of nasty surprises: everything from annoyances like uncontrollably blasting the horn to serious hazards like slamming on the Prius’ brakes at high speeds. They sent commands from their laptops that killed power steering, spoofed the GPS and made pathological liars out of speedometers and odometers. Finally they directed me out to a country road, where Valasek showed that he could violently jerk the Prius’ steering at any speed, threatening to send us into a cornfield or a head-on collision. “Imagine you’re driving down a highway at 80 ,” Valasek says. “You’re going into the car next to you or into oncoming traffic. That’s going to be bad times.”
    A team of researchers at the University of Washington and the University of California, San Diego, experimenting on a sedan from an unnamed company in 2010, found that they could wirelessly penetrate the same critical systems Miller and Valasek targeted using the car’s OnStar-like cellular connection, Bluetooth bugs, a rogue Android app that synched with the car’s network from the driver’s smartphone or even a malicious audio file on a CD in the car’s stereo system. “Academics have shown you can get remote code execution,” says Valasek, using hacker jargon for the ability to start running commands on a system. “We showed you can do a lot of crazy things once you’re inside.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/10/business/10hack.html?_r=1&

Because many of today’s cars contain cellular connections and Bluetooth wireless technology, it is possible for a hacker, working from a remote location, to take control of various features — like the car locks and brakes — as well as to track the vehicle’s location, eavesdrop on its cabin and steal vehicle data, the researchers said. They described a range of potential compromises of car security and safety.
    If you watch the video in the first link, you can see they can disable brakes and could jerk the steering wheel among other things. Yes, these hackers are hardwired into the car but as you can see remote hacking via On Star/bluetooth/ect is possible and has already been done. If anyone could have hacked Hasting's car, the feds could have and frankly I wouldn't be surprised if they did.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygree...e-wheel-video/

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/10/business/10hack.html?_r=1&

If you watch the video in the first link, you can see they can disable brakes and could jerk the steering wheel among other things. Yes, these hackers are hardwired into the car but as you can see remote hacking via On Star/bluetooth/ect is possible and has already been done. If anyone could have hacked Hasting's car, the feds could have and frankly I wouldn't be surprised if they did.
    1)What they're missing from each of these experiments is the key factor in Hastings' death; runaway acceleration. They can't demonstrate that. 2) those reports don't mention what was required to implement those abilities: Physically removing processors for a week to discover valid countersigns. 3) This was done with a Prius, which has vulnerabilities that violate the CAN bus standard. Mercedes not only meets CAN standards, but goes beyond them.

This conspiracy theory junk science debases the argument IMO. There was almost certainly something hinky going on here, but if people insist on pushing tin foil hat theories, nobody's ever gonna take it seriously.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

They sent commands from their laptops that killed power steering
    I brought that up earlier in the thread. I think cutting power steering could definitely cause a crash. In this instance I'm not sure it can be pointed to, but in general.

"If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Official Troll Array title="The Patriot is a name known to all"> The Patriot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    1)What they're missing from each of these experiments is the key factor in Hastings' death; runaway acceleration. They can't demonstrate that. 2) those reports don't mention what was required to implement those abilities: Physically removing processors for a week to discover valid countersigns. 3) This was done with a Prius, which has vulnerabilities that violate the CAN bus standard. Mercedes not only meets CAN standards, but goes beyond them.

This conspiracy theory junk science debases the argument IMO. There was almost certainly something hinky going on here, but if people insist on pushing tin foil hat theories, nobody's ever gonna take it seriously.
    The "how" theories are just fun speculation. They really don't do anything (except maybe irk a few industry experts like yourself). What's really driving the conspiracy narrative is the email, the mysterious nature of the crash, and the amount of nondisclosure the authorities have been exercising toward the local press regarding a case they ruled an accident at the scene.

The "how" theories are just fun speculation. They really don't do anything (except maybe irk a few industry experts like yourself). What's really driving the conspiracy narrative is the email, the mysterious nature of the crash, and the amount of nondisclosure the authorities have been exercising toward the local press regarding a case they ruled an accident at the scene.
    What the "how" theories do is draw attention away from all of those valid concerns. They make people who share those concerns seem like kooks by association.

It's like how all the wild 9/11 truther conspiracy theories drew attention away from the administration's failures and towards the junk science that "proved" it was an inside job. Everybody who had questions, whether valid or not, ended up getting lumped together as "truthers" and lost credibility as a result.

The arrant speculation about "how" may be fun, but it's definitely not harmless.

Well, they've released video of the actual crash. But more importantly, some of Hastings' family members have come out and said that they do not believe this is a conspiracy. That definitively undercuts the conspiracy theories.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2...rash_video.php

Completely unrelated topic, but CNN is reporting that there were dozens of CIA operatives on the ground during the Benghazi attack and that the CIA is now subjecting operatives to frequent polygraph tests in an apparent attempt to make sure they're not talking to the media. What the hell is going on?

http://thelead.blogs.cnn.com/2013/08...nghazi-attack/

Completely unrelated topic, but CNN is reporting that there were dozens of CIA operatives on the ground during the Benghazi attack and that the CIA is now subjecting operatives to frequent polygraph tests in an apparent attempt to make sure they're not talking to the media. What the hell is going on?

http://thelead.blogs.cnn.com/2013/08...nghazi-attack/
    That *is* a completely unrelated topic, but there's definitely some "there" there. I think it's exactly what we all thought; the CIA was funneling arms to the Libyans and left them to die rather than going public with it.

That *is* a completely unrelated topic, but there's definitely some "there" there. I think it's exactly what we all thought; the CIA was funneling arms to the Libyans and left them to die rather than going public with it.
    Is there evidence they were funneling arms? Why were they attacked then?

I'm sorry, I really took a rain check on this whole story as it developed.

Sorry, I meant Syrians, not Libyans.
    http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/...yrian-war.html
    We were apparently arming Syrian rebels through Libya. It was a covert activity because American public opinion was against doing that. The reason they were attacked is because a large proportion of the Syrian rebels (especially those coming from Libya) are Al Qaeda.
    None of this is officially confirmed yet and it might never be, but it's the most likely explanation.

Sorry, I meant Syrians, not Libyans.
    http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/...yrian-war.html
    We were apparently arming Syrian rebels through Libya. It was a covert activity because American public opinion was against doing that. The reason they were attacked is because a large proportion of the Syrian rebels (especially those coming from Libya) are Al Qaeda.
    None of this is officially confirmed yet and it might never be, but it's the most likely explanation.
    Thanks for the source. It's a lot to process. I'll have to read that article again.

I guess the million dollar question is "why?" Why is the United States engaging in this type of destructive foreign policy? We're willing to fund Al Qaeda in order to see the overthrow of one or two regimes? I just don't know... There appears to be this desire among those paying attention to reduce the forces behind this chaos into something that can be rationalized or easily understood: oil, geopolitics, monetary greed, military-industrial complex, administrative incompetence, political realism. But all of these explanations fall short. I'd like to believe that our US leaders, the CIA, the Syrian rebels, and even Al Qaeda are behaving rationally, that they are pursuing rational goals (good or evil) through rational means, and that the muddied water and the bullshit explanations are just sloppy veneers to cover up what they're really fighting about, but to be honest, it just feels like a shit-slinging contest. You think you have a decent understanding about how the world works and then Arab Spring comes along...

This probably deserves its own thread.

Good call. Done...

Looks like San Diego 6 isn't jumping off the conspiracy theory bus anytime soon. Apparently because the LAPD has been sitting on the details for two months now of what was supposed to be a routine accident.

http://www.sandiego6.com/story/Hasti...mined-20130804

Michael Hastings' wife tells San Diego 6 local news that Hastings was doing a story on CIA Director, John Brennan, before his death. The story is scheduled to be published posthumously in the Rolling Stone. Hastings sourced a leaked internal email from a CIA contractor that was released by Wikileaks last year which accuses Brennan of cracking down on investigative journalism to protect the Obama administration.

Obama Leak Investigations (internal use only - pls do not forward) 2010-09-21 21:38:37

Brennan is behind the witch hunts of investigative journalists learning
    information from inside the beltway sources.

Note -- There is specific tasker from the WH to go after anyone printing
    materials negative to the Obama agenda (oh my.) Even the FBI is
    shocked. The Wonder Boys must be in meltdown mode...
    http://www.wikileaks.org/gifiles/doc...ls-do-not.html

http://www.sandiego6.com/story/cia-d...arget-20130812

Conspiracy theories notwithstanding, I wonder if Hastings dug up any dirt.