Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bush Advisor: Hastings Crash ‘Consistent With a Car Cyberattack’

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Re: Bush Advisor: Hastings Crash ‘Consistent With a Car Cyberattack’

Quote Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
    I recognize that. That's why I'm asking *you* why the computers in cars can't be hacked.
    Ever seen Bait Car.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    Slash, I think everyone here are asking you legitimate questions without any malice intended based on your knowledge of the subject. I don't think anyone is sounding foolish because no one is suggesting anything, we're just asking. Can't expect everyone to know as much as you do about your profession.
    The short answer is this: You can't blow a car up no matter what you set the injector duty cycle to or where you set the ignition timing. You can foul the plugs or stall the engine, but no kaboom.

- - - Updated - - -

I recognize that. That's why I'm asking *you* why the computers in cars can't be hacked.
    Scroll up and read. They *can* be hacked and nobody's saying they can't. I'm saying they can't execute functions with which they don't interface. Your thermostat has a microcontroller in it, but it can't be hacked to make your house get up and walk around.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    The short answer is this: You can't blow a car up no matter what you set the injector duty cycle to or where you set the ignition timing. You can foul the plugs or stall the engine, but no kaboom.

- - - Updated - - -

Scroll up and read. They *can* be hacked and nobody's saying they can't. I'm saying they can't execute functions with which they don't interface. Your thermostat has a microcontroller in it, but it can't be hacked to make your house get up and walk around.
    Are they suggesting the hack made the car explode, though? Couldn't something much more subtle cause the crash with a high probability of the desired outcome which is death? Such as stalling a vehicle at a proper time?
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    I know how engines work, I've built many of them in my time. IF they can be hacked to sense a wreck MAYBE they can be programed to spurt fuel at that moment IF a fuel line/injector burst or whatever and start a fire.

I know it's a lot of if and maybes but thats what I was getting at anyways.
    Try it some time.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Try it some time.
    To start a engine fire?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Are they suggesting the hack made the car explode, though? Couldn't something much more subtle cause the crash with a high probability of the desired outcome which is death? Such as stalling a vehicle at a proper time?
    Have you ever had a car stall out on *you* when driving? Did it cause a fatal crash?
    This is silly.

- - - Updated - - -

To start a engine fire?
    Yup. Or an "explosion". It'd be easier for you to prove it to yourself.

Have you ever had a car stall out on *you* when driving? Did it cause a fatal crash?
    This is silly.
    Have YOU? I had an Isuzu Rodeo that stalled about 25% of the time I drove it. And yes, it nearly caused crashes countless times. No one could fix it and that's why I no longer own it. It wasn't "silly" it was terrifying.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

This is silly.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup. Or an "explosion". It'd be easier for you to prove it to yourself.
    Granted this isn't fuel injected but doesn't look to difficult to do. Also kinda comical.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Have YOU? I had an Isuzu Rodeo that stalled about 25% of the time I drove it. And yes, it nearly caused crashes countless times. No one could fix it and that's why I no longer own it. It wasn't "silly" it was terrifying.
    And you're still alive, else you wouldn't be responding to me.

Computers aren't something slightly to the left of witchcraft. They're machines just like any other machine. You have driven enough cars that stalled out at inconvenient moments to know that it's not an effective way to kill someone.

- - - Updated - - -

Granted this isn't fuel injected but doesn't look to difficult to do.

Should be easy, then. Have at it.

/ fuel injected systems don't have open bowls of gasoline sitting on top of the engine. "Should be". "Looks". "

Computers aren't something slightly to the left of witchcraft. They're machines just like any other machine. You have driven enough cars that stalled out at inconvenient moments to know that it's not an effective way to kill someone.
    Maybe. But after the first few times I was always on the lookout for it. If the car I drive now randomly stalled I probably wouldn't react so well as I did then. The problem isn't necessarily the loss of acceleration, it's the sudden and surprising loss of power steering that's dangerous. It catches you off guard and totally changes the way the vehicle handles.

- - - Updated - - -

Should be easy, then. Have at it.

/ fuel injected systems don't have open bowls of gasoline sitting on top of the engine. "Should be". "Looks". "
    Heil Slash

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Official Troll Array title="The Patriot is a name known to all"> The Patriot's Avatar

We'll have to wait and see then. If this theory is truly baseless then we can expect it to fade into obscurity like all the other crackpot suggestions, but if there is something in this claim, the next logical step for the expert claimants is to prove it by doing it. Slash thinks it's unfeasible. Most of us aren't in a position to argue with his expertise, but we're not the relevant people in this discussion. I believe if there is a threat to the safety of drivers via hack, the auto-engineering community will quickly expose it.

We'll have to wait and see then. If this theory is truly baseless then we can expect it to fade into obscurity like all the other crackpot suggestions, but if there is something in this claim, the next logical step for the expert claimants is to prove it by doing it. Slash thinks it's unfeasible. Most of us aren't in a position to argue with his expertise, but we're not the relevant people in this discussion. I believe if there is a threat to the safety of drivers via hack, the auto-engineering community will quickly expose it.
    Agreed. If there are any safety issues with the processors, they tend to implement fixes outside of software anyway. They're more concerned with liability from failures than from hackers, but the end result is the same; these distributed systems aren't allowed to do things that could kill people unless there is a fail-safe override to shut it off.
    Now in a few years when Google driverless car technology hits the market, it'll be a whole different ball game.

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Aren't these the same cars that can parallel park themselves? I know it doesn't control the gas or brake features, but the computer takes over the steering feature

and yes Slash, I know how the systems work, I am also avionics, I have dealt with binary and processors my whole AF career

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    Aren't these the same cars that can parallel park themselves? I know it doesn't control the gas or brake features, but the computer takes over the steering feature

and yes Slash, I know how the systems work, I am also avionics, I have dealt with binary and processors my whole AF career
    I do think the c250 does have parallel park assist and other assisted driving features.

This safety breakthrough first introduced by Mercedes-Benz continually monitors your driving inputs and the vehicle's motion to help keep it going in your intended direction, especially in corners and during evasive maneuvers. If it detects wheelspin, severe understeer (plowing), or oversteer (fishtailing), ESP can brake individual wheels and reduce engine power to help bring the vehicle under control.
    Hmm. Looks like computing does have input on actual maneuvering in the c250. Interesting.

Hmm. Looks like computing does have input on actual maneuvering in the c250. Interesting.
    Braking and interrupting ignition doesn't cause a car to hit a tree at a high rate of speed. Acceleration does that.

I do wonder what was going on that had him speeding in a residential neighborhood at 4 in the morning.

^ This is interesting...

Braking and interrupting ignition doesn't cause a car to hit a tree at a high rate of speed. Acceleration does that.

I do wonder what was going on that had him speeding in a residential neighborhood at 4 in the morning.

^ This is interesting...
    If the electronics system can "reduce engine power", couldn't it theoretically be hacked to increase it? Which supports the theory.

If the electronics system can "reduce engine power", couldn't it theoretically be hacked to increase it? Which supports the theory.
    No, it couldn't. It reduces engine power by retarding ignition timing and eliminating spark. Advancing ignition timing would merely cause pinging and additional spark wouldn't do anything at all.

From what I'm seeing, the only thing that could cause a car to go full- tilt is by monkeying with the accelerator. Even chasing him wouldn't make him go that fast.

- - - Updated - - -

^ You could fairly easily kill an unwary driver by monkeying with the accelerator, and you don't have to "hack" the car to do it. There are much easier ways.
    As long as we're exploring the implausible, we may as well also consider the possibility that this is his way of "going off the radar" (his words) by faking his own death. Highly implausible, but so is the idea of hacking a car to do it for real.

Official Troll Array title="The Patriot is a name known to all"> The Patriot's Avatar

The whole thing struck me as a bit odd. Not trying to get into truther territory, but how unusual is it for a car wreck to catch fire and burn like this?

The whole thing struck me as a bit odd. Not trying to get into truther territory, but how unusual is it for a car wreck to catch fire and burn like this?

On impact? Unusual as fuck as far as I know.

Not all that uncommon according to the NFPA. Figure about 5% of high speed impacts.
    http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/pdf/osvehicle.pdf

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

Hate to disagree with you this adamantly, Slash, but you're wrong. Cruise control on most modern cars (a 2013 model Mercedes in this instance) is a computer receiving input from the speedometer and telling the throttle to speed up or slow down. All computers do is respond to a "yes" or "no" binary code (0100101101 etc). All a hacker does is feed a computer false information, so if a hacker wanted to manipulate a car's throttle on cruise control, he could feed the car's computer false information to make the car accelerate to a dangerous speed. That's one way to do it.

Another way is what Israel (allegedly) did to Iran's nuclear facilities. A virus called Stuxnet caused some moving components in their computerized machinery to move at irregular speeds which caused the machinery to break down over time. If it can be done to a top secret nuclear facility, it can be done to a car.

I wish this story wasn't attached to the theory that Michael Hastings was murdered, because while the theory is speculation, the potential to hack cars is fact, and it's a real threat. Imagine if China or Russia could hack a car driving in the United States! It's more fact than fiction.

No, I don't believe it. It is farfetched.

How would you take control of the computer's cruise control? IF he even had it engaged to begin with.

And, if you're in a car and it accelerates uncontrollably, what would you do? Allow it to happen? I think applying the breaks is the most natural response to it.

I don't believe for a second that this could be done remotely. I'd have to see it to believe it.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    No, I don't believe it. It is farfetched.

How would you take control of the computer's cruise control? IF he even had it engaged to begin with.

And, if you're in a car and it accelerates uncontrollably, what would you do? Allow it to happen? I think applying the breaks is the most natural response to it.

I don't believe for a second that this could be done remotely. I'd have to see it to believe it.
    I don't believe that his car was "hacked" to do this, but there's plenty of evidence to suggest that it was tampered with. There are too many coincidences to be ignored, and this is a bizarre way for *anybody* to go out, let alone someone with as many enemies as he had.

<-- couple this with Patriot's footage above.

The LAPD said they didn't suspect foul play in this matter, and that's a real head- scratcher to me.

Setting aside everything we can't establish conclusively as fact, here's what we know:

He was going recklessly fast at 4:20 in the morning, blowing through red lights. According to the eyewitness, he went airborne, bottomed out, fishtailed, and hit a tree. The debris field shows that he was going tremendously fast on impact.

Just on that basis alone, how could foul play *not* be suspected? Was this normal behavior for him? Are there some sort of accidental circumstances that can bring this about? Anything in his toxicology report? Some plausible medical cause?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-body/2443301/

Coroner's Lt. Fred Corral says Thursday that the findings on the cause of death are deferred pending the results of toxicology tests expected in eight to 10 weeks.

Corral says an autopsy was performed Wednesday and the 33-year-old Hastings was identified by matching fingerprints to prints the FBI had on file.

The car hit a tree early Tuesday and burned furiously. Police don't suspect any foul play.
    2 questions:
    1) Where did the coroner get the fingerprints: from the body itself or the car?
    2) Why did the FBI have his fingerprints on file?

Is it possible that the body in the car was *not* actually Hastings?

BnG,
    That would be the most natural response, and I've seen it happen out on the race track to experienced racing drivers. Hitting the brakes doesn't work on a stuck throttle. You have to put it in neutral and (if you're really cool) turn off the ignition without locking the steering.
    Even those guys have gotten it wrong in the moment.

One more piece of pertinent information and I'll leave it alone for a while:
    In this article, Hastings admits to being a "recovering alcoholic/ addict/ screw-up", and states that he hasn't used since he was 19.
    http://trueslant.com/michaelhastings...-addictauthor/

In this article, he admits to having smoked crack in his college days.
    http://trueslant.com/michaelhastings...-occasionally/

In this book, he admits to having crashed his car drunk when he was 19.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lost-My-Love-B...chael+hastings (page 96)

We have to admit the possibility that he relapsed and crashed while drunk and/ or high on coke. Unseemly and impolite to speak ill of the dead, but it's something to consider.

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

One more piece of pertinent information and I'll leave it alone for a while:
    In this article, Hastings admits to being a "recovering alcoholic/ addict/ screw-up", and states that he hasn't used since he was 19.
    http://trueslant.com/michaelhastings...-addictauthor/

In this article, he admits to having smoked crack in his college days.
    http://trueslant.com/michaelhastings...-occasionally/

In this book, he admits to having crashed his car drunk when he was 19.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lost-My-Love-B...chael+hastings (page 96)

We have to admit the possibility that he relapsed and crashed while drunk and/ or high on coke.
    That's what I first thought when I saw the headline, tampering with his car or hacking his car as a means to kill him doesn't seem realistic. given hastings background with drugs if they wanted to get rid of him why wouldn't they just force him to OD in some run down motel, why mess with the car when there is no guarantee he dies in a crash.

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    That's what I first thought when I saw the headline, tampering with his car or hacking his car as a means to kill him doesn't seem realistic. given hastings background with drugs if they wanted to get rid of him why wouldn't they just force him to OD in some run down motel, why mess with the car when there is no guarantee he dies in a crash.
    Again, from what I know of these systems, "hacking" is highly implausible. But tampering is a very real possibility. You rig somebody's throttle to fully open and stay that way, and you could easily kill them. Physically, that would be child's play.

It's safe to say that there were a lot of people who wanted him dead, so tampering is highly plausible.

- - - Updated - - -

That's assuming the car is in standard operating conditions. If someone has the opportunity to modify the vehicle, though, doesn't that pretty much open up endless possibilities?
    Sorry I missed this earlier on.
    Absolutely, if somebody modifies the vehicle then anything is possible. In fact, it's downright simple. But that's not "hacking", it's "tampering".

http://blog.newsok.com/carsok/2012/0...-new-standard/

The SmartThrottle system would have to be disabled unless the tampering occurs at the engine end. Otherwise touching the brakes is sufficient to kill the throttle.