Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers: Most underrated/overrated players of all-time

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Pittsburgh Steelers: Most underrated/overrated players of all-time

Underrated:Franco Harris
    Overrated:Troy Polamalu

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh...rs-of-all-time

Overseas SuperFan Array title="TheRuneMeister is an unknown quantity at this point"> TheRuneMeister's Avatar

Re: Pittsburgh Steelers: Most underrated/overrated players of all-time

Franco underrated? I think he gets plenty of credit. Troy is certainly not overrated. Well, maybe when people talk about him like he is friggin Superman, but he is certainly an outstanding player when healthy.

Underrated, current: Ryan Clark. I know he gets credit, but not enough. I think most fans will go with Clark in this category though he is slowly getting more respect.

Underrated, past: Terry Bradshaw. He is (for some odd reason) often forgotten when talking Steelers greats. In my opinion, he threw the best deep ball the league has ever seen. I know that he had a falling out with the fanbase, but he was great. I can't stand watching him on TV these days, but that does not change history.

Overrated, current: Sanders (he might be potential great, but is in my opinion yet to truely prove himself)

Overrated, past: Eric Green. I love big ends, and thus Green, but he didn't play like the Pro Bowler he was. I must admit that my knowledge is limited since I couldn't watch the games on tv here in Denmark at the time, but from what I have watched I'll stick with him.

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

Underrated: Verron Haynes... only half joking.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

under rated Roy Gerela and Gary Anderson . Maybe not LA Machine so much .
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Senior Member Array title="Pristas has a spectacular aura about"> Pristas's Avatar

Underrated: Ben, Timmons, Ike
    Overrated: Wallace and Mendy, good riddance

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

underrated: Aaron Smith

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    underrated: Aaron Smith

hard to argue that .....

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Underrated: Jon Kolb. He was the left tackle on four Super Bowl winners. He routinely and without fanfare shut down the best pass rushers of his era. Yet he never got any year end honors or has he ever been considered on the Hall of Fame ballot, despite the fact that he made Hall of famers like Carl Eller and Jack Youngblood virtually invisible.

Andy Russell: People just forget how good he was, and how he helped set the tone during the formative years of the Steel Curtain.

Overrated: Kordell Stewart. Wasted 3 solid Super Bowl contenders on him. (96-97-01) At the time some wanted to give him credit for the wins when the truth was he was what was holding the team back.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post

Overrated: Kordell Stewart. Wasted 3 solid Super Bowl contenders on him. (96-97-01) At the time some wanted to give him credit for the wins when the truth was he was what was holding the team back.

I wonder if he ever got that boil removed.

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Mistah Q is a jewel in the rough"> Mistah Q's Avatar

Underrated: Joe Gilliam. The 70s would have been much different without him.
    Honorable mention: Aaron Smith, Johnny Unitas, Mike Tomczak
    I was going to give honorable mention to Neil O'Donnell -- I know we all hate him for Super Bowl XXX but damn was the man a good and accurate passer... in XXX, had Mills not gone down and Hastings not run the wrong route TWICE, that's a completion, O'Donnell would have been a superstar. So he is very underrated... but then again it's hard to say that considering he left for a monster contract with the Jets... but then they mishandled him, he went to the Bungles, almost made that team relevant, then became the Titans' backup. Urf...

Overrated: Mark Malone. Nobody ever thought he was great, true... except for the front office when they had a chance to draft Marino...

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw

Member Array title="whodat1 is an unknown quantity at this point"> whodat1's Avatar

Underrated: Rocky Bleier. Franco would have never had his great numbers without rocky's blocking.

Dwinsgames

another couple of under rated players outside of the Steeler fan base IMO is Donnie Shell and LC Greenwood BOTH are deserving of the HOF IMO and neither have got the nod

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Zu, 1996 was Mike Tomczak's team. I'd say all the other years he was at QB (98, 99 2000) were wastes. Yea he threw the pick the AFCCG in 97/98 that mattered, the one in 2001/02 didn't as much. We lost that game on Special Teams. Kordell actually played pretty good each of those two years tho. Disclaimer: I'm not debating his place on the overrated list. The man was the antithesis of consistency.
    Last edited by NJarhead; 06-25-2013 at 12:56 PM.