Thread: Don't rule out rookie linebacker Jarvis Jones starting for Steelers

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Don't rule out rookie linebacker Jarvis Jones starting for Steelers

Don't rule out rookie linebacker Jarvis Jones starting for Steelers

The most recent rookies to nail down starting jobs with the Steelers defense no longer are with the defense. Casey Hampton is gone after a dozen years as their starting nose tackle and inside linebacker Kendrell Bell's career steadily went downhill after he was named NFL defensive rookie of the year.

They took over as rookies in 2001. No rookie has won a starting defensive job since, not Troy Polamalu, not Lawrence Timmons or LaMarr Woodley, and neither of their first-round picks at defensive end, Ziggy Hood nor Cameron Heyward.

Jarvis Jones could end that drought.
    Steelers Report: Jarvis Jones a starter?

The PG's Ed Bouchette talks about Jarvis Jones with linebackers coach Keith Butler, who says the rookie has looked good enough in mini-camp to compete for a starting role. (Video by Andrew Rush; 6/12/2013)

"He's showing us things, and, if he keeps showing those things he's going to be a big part of that, hopefully," said Keith Butler, who coaches the Steelers linebackers.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2W8zwIVqi

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Jarvis starting at ROLB this season. It sounds like he is getting a good grasp on how the defense works and what new things he has to learn. I like his chances, but I still see Worilds starting in week one.

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

Re: Don't rule out rookie linebacker Jarvis Jones starting for Steelers

Starting as a rookie? I can see. Starting opening day as a rookie? I can't.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

wow, didnt think the streak of a rookie OLB starting for us went all the way back to jack ham. now i really doubt he can get the starting job, but thats totally fine
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Banned Array title="Spike is just really nice">

One rookie has started at outside linebacker for the Steelers since the modern era of pro football began in 1970 with the merger of the NFL and the AFL. His name is Jack Ham.

nice