Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Jonathan Dwyer is heavy, real heavy

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Re: "Jonathan Dwyer is heavy, real heavy

Not overweight now, but you'll be at 230 in August?

Wait, wouldn't that mean you're over your billed 230 now, Jon? If it smells like bullshit...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    That doesnt mean he's not around there now.

Although it definitely is hard to trust him knowing he had weight issues in college.
    If he's close to 230 now, and recent photos of him aren't photo-shopped, he should definitely be lower than 230. Kid looks like he has a beer gut.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Unless there is an injury, he may not make it anyway because as I’ve written, the Steelers are not likely to carry two backup running backs at a $1.3 million salary each. And Isaac Redman is way ahead of Dwyer in the pecking order."
    One thing I didn't notice at all until now - Redman is 29 years old. I had no idea. That's like almost the end of your career at RB. I wonder if that plays into however this turns out.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

There is absolutely no excuse for a 23 year old professional athlete ( who is paid to stay in shape ) to come to camp ....FAT....PERIOD!!!!! There is no way will he'll beat Bell or Red for the #1 & #2 spot.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    One thing I didn't notice at all until now - Redman is 29 years old. I had no idea. That's like almost the end of your career at RB. I wonder if that plays into however this turns out.
    But the wear and tear is fairly minimal. From college to now, only in one year did he have over 157 carries.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    But the wear and tear is fairly minimal. From college to now, only in one year did he have over 157 carries.
    I agree....and Red seems to be on a personal mission to prove himself this year. Red's one up on Punxsutawney Phil.....he came to OTA's in shape.

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Jonathan Dwyer@Dwyer27

@CountSteeler lol I don't care what paper said I'm not overweight or any of that bull crap ill be 230 in August and win the starting job

From Jonathan last night after I asked him about the report in the Post Gazette. FWIW.
    Haha that's funny Count. I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. He's a nice kid and can definitely play. if he were in the best shape of his life I'd have no doubts whatsoever he would win the starting job. but as it is if he can get down to around 230 by camp I think our best bet is hoping Bell wins the job and Dwyer is change of pace. IF he makes the team. Who knows, maybe your tweet will inspire him and you'll be the cause for him coming into camp at like 215 pounds
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I agree....and Red seems to be on a personal mission to prove himself this year. Red's one up on Punxsutawney Phil.....he came to OTA's in shape.
    That said, I'm not buying into Redman being a full-time starter. He's a guy that relies on fresh legs and is a timeshare back.

There is absolutely no excuse for a 23 year old professional athlete ( who is paid to stay in shape ) to come to camp ....FAT....PERIOD!!!!! There is no way will he'll beat Bell or Red for the #1 & #2 spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Absolutely.

He's talented just not hungry (in the football sense, not the buffet sense)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Seriously, you're a football player and it's the offseason. What the fuck else do you have to do that's preventing you from staying in shape? Even if you played video games 4 hours a day and partied your ass off, you don't have 1 or 2 hours a day to spend at the gym? Are you kidding me?
    Quote Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
    If a 2nd round RB draft pick doesn't motivate you, maybe it's time to pursue other goals?
    One thing you all are forgetting in your comments, and this is an area I'mvery familiar with: he suffers from diagnosed ADD. It has nothing to do with "not being hungry (for football) or motivation. It's exactly what's preventing him from getting and staying in shape. Chemical imbalances in the brain inhibit the ability to stay focused or even force yourself to do tasks that you know you need to do. I also have no doubt that if he hits "hyperfocus," he'll come into camp at whatever weight he wants, and in shape. In order for someone with ADD to motivate to do a task, it takes two distinct motivators to cross. The first is challenge, the second is desire. Personal example. As many of you know, I'm working on a Ph.D. in OT. While the smart thing to do is write papers weeks in advance, I usually didn't start my paper writing until a week, week and a half before it was due. Even though I'd sit at my desk for eight to ten hours a day and try to force myself to write for the week or two before that. I just couldn't do it, and would end up on one of many different websites or reading fanfiction or some other thing.

Only when the deadline loomed larger than life was I able to snap into writing my paper. Physical chores? Forget about it.

I'm not offering this as an excuse as to why it is okay for Dwyer to come into camp heavy. It's not. Period. It is however, a better way of understanding that he is literally dealing with a medical problem that is driving these things.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd...t_symptoms.htm

http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/guide/adhd-adults

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

That is a great point Preach.

We could also look at nature vs. nurture while we're at it.

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

interestingly enough, no one here seems to actually know how much dwyer weighs. lets just agree with one guy who said he's fat
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    interestingly enough, no one here seems to actually know how much dwyer weighs. lets just agree with one guy who said he's fat
    That's what I want to know. How big is he?
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Senior Member Array title="GodfatherofSoul is a jewel in the rough"> GodfatherofSoul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    That's what I want to know. How big is he?
    Yo' RB so fat, he's gonna get cut in camp for 2 guys less talented than he is.

Congrats on pushing forward with the Ph.D, Preach! I'm aware of Dwyer having ADD, but there are many athletes past and present who also have it. My beef is the weight.....he never seemed to have a problem learning the playbook nor has he lacked focus on any game assignment that I can remember. There are players who come to camp out of shape with no ADD and are flat-out lazy. I just find it hard to believe that Dwyer's weight problem has anything to do with ADD. On a side note I was surprised to find out that Terry Bradshaw also has ADD. I always seem to have a lack of focus on things I would rather not do.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

ADD or AD/HD (they are 2 different disorders) is NOT an excuse, and I truly hope he doesn't pull that card if or when he is cut. I say this as someone who was diagnosed as a teen/adult, but who suffered throughout my childhood with it, and I also say this as a person who has grown up around mental illness. I take it very seriously.

I'm also a teacher and have done some graduate work on mental illness. I hear this hooey all the time from parents and kids and have read countless IEP and 504 plans about this for many lazy-ass kids.

The bottom-line is this. IF this is the reason Dwyer is supposedly slacking in his conditioning, then he could be hopped up on all the ADD medicine in the world, and it won't do him a bit of good. Too many people simply take the medicine without really learning any coping skills to go along with it. I was fortunate to have a GREAT therapist both as a child and an adult (which Dwyer has better access to) to teach me HOW to cope. I took some meds when I was older (and after marriage #1) but realized that I could COPE pretty good without them. Doctors that prescribe any meds for both kids and adults without strongly pushing for therapy should be thrown in jail.

He has no one to blame but himself, IF this report from Douchette is true.

Sorry Preach....this certainly isn't directed at you personally. I respect you immensely. It's obviously a sensitive subject for me.
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

I'm not sure Redman's weight loss is a good thing. I don't necessarily know that he's fitter, he's just lighter. Time will tell though. Maybe it's a good thing. But for the type of back he is I probably would have rather seen him keep the weight on. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I don't mind the ADD as long as he can still SUBTRACT.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I don't mind the ADD as long as he can still SUBTRACT.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    On the other hand, how often do you see a so-so RB playing well into his 30s because he's played sparingly? Regardless of how often he's been used, I don't think time is on his side and we cna expect maybe a couple more years.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bayz101 View Post
    If he's close to 230 now, and recent photos of him aren't photo-shopped, he should definitely be lower than 230. Kid looks like he has a beer gut.
    Meh, im going to give him the benefit of the doubt seeing that this news is only coming from Ed in the form of a sentence or two. If it was so alarming it probably would probably be 'news' elsewhere as well. Photos arent going to tell you much. Dwyer has got got to be one of the least physically imposing looking backs for his size in the 1st place anyways. So is Clinton Portis. And he was an alright player.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.