Thread: Worilds no longer on outside looking in at linebacker

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Worilds no longer on outside looking in at linebacker

The long line of succession at right outside linebacker has been consistently good to great for the Steelers these past 30 years, with a few exceptions.

There was Mike Merriweather and Greg Lloyd and Chad Brown and Joey Porter and James Harrison, along with some exceptions like Carlos Emmons and Greg Carr.

Today, there is Jason Worilds, the latest to fill one of the most star-studded positions on the Steelers in three decades. He does not want to join the small list of exceptions...............

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2UyH19MMd

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Re: Worilds no longer on outside looking in at linebacker

Because of injuries to LaMarr Woodley, Worilds started three games at left outside linebacker and played in other games in which Woodley could not finish. He played 435 snaps and had five sacks, just one behind co-leaders Harrison and Lawrence Timmons. His sacks-per-play percentage was higher than any other linebacker. He also started seven games for an injured Woodley in 2011 and had four sacks.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2UyHxk1Ed
    Let's hope he can apply more pressure this year.

Lord knows we need it.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Dwinsgames

presumptuous article , in my opinion nothing has been decided nor should it be at this point .....

we have a 1st round draft pick and others wanting that same job and Worilds has shown some flashes but he has not set anything on fire to date ... it should be an open job with Worilds have an inside edge but should not be considered a lock by any stretch

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Worilds ends up being the backup to Woodley on the left side with Jones starting on the right.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    presumptuous article , in my opinion nothing has been decided nor should it be at this point .....

we have a 1st round draft pick and others wanting that same job and Worilds has shown some flashes but he has not set anything on fire to date ... it should be an open job with Worilds have an inside edge but should not be considered a lock by any stretch
    I'd love to see Jones get a quick handle on this defense, but unless I'm remembering wrong, we've never had a day one starting rookie LB while LeBeau has been our DC. I think we went over this in another thread but I'm too lazy to check right now.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I'd love to see Jones get a quick handle on this defense, but unless I'm remembering wrong, we've never had a day one starting rookie LB while LeBeau has been our DC. I think we went over this in another thread but I'm too lazy to check right now.

this is true , however our OLB are normally DE converts not guys coming into the league from a 3-4 system like Jones is ... that may in fact be our ace in the hole

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

this is true , however our OLB are normally DE converts not guys coming into the league from a 3-4 system like Jones is ... that may in fact be our ace in the hole
    That's a very good point. Also we've generally had a pretty good veteran - or at least a smart one- in the spot that the rookie is trying to take. But even Timmons, another first round pick, couldn't take a starting inside spot from Foote his rookie year... although many fans really wanted to see it happen. I thought Spence had a shot at getting there pretty quickly given all that I read about his intelligence, but alas, it wasn't to be.

I've got to think Lebeau's system is a little more complex than the D Jones is coming from in college, but the fact that he is used to the 3-4 can't hurt. Whether he scoops the starting spot or not, perhaps his learning curve will be quicker than most.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Better title for this thread would have been "Worilds No Longer Outside Linebacker."

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Exactly what makes me think that jones will get more snaps than a normal defensive rookie. And they won't all be in strictly pass rush situations.

Worilds will start though.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by steeldevil View Post
    Exactly what makes me think that jones will get more snaps than a normal defensive rookie. And they won't all be in strictly pass rush situations.

Worilds will start though.

because he was drafted at 17 , that is a big investment to not at the very least have a good look at him before anointing someone else as " The Man " esp when you consider that someone else has had 3 years to take a Job from someone else and has not been able to do so , and that someone else is in a contract year so handing him the job to more than likely give it to someone else again the very next year is not cohesive football logic ....

And to top it all off Worilds has yet to prove he is the most durable of players in the league even in a limited role ......