Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal Politics

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Re: Federal Politics

Scored a 72

51-90 points: You are a medium-core libertarian, probably self-consciously so. Your friends probably encourage you to quit talking about your views so much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    Everyone should take this. I'd be interested to see the results.
    What are your results??

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

He got "soft-core". Didn't mention the score.

My gripe with this test is that it rates policy positions rather than philosophy. People from all over the political spectrum can support the same policies, but for radically different reasons. It's not what we think should be done that defines our ideology, but rather *why* we think it should be done.

I prefer this test for that reason.
    http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    He got "soft-core". Didn't mention the score.

My gripe with this test is that it rates policy positions rather than philosophy. People from all over the political spectrum can support the same policies, but for radically different reasons. It's not what we think should be done that defines our ideology, but rather *why* we think it should be done.

ahh, I glossed over that for some reason. I'll check out your link.

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: 5.62
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.26

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Scored a 72

51-90 points: You are a medium-core libertarian, probably self-consciously so. Your friends probably encourage you to quit talking about your views so much.

- - - Updated - - -

What are your results??
    "soft-core". I think I was in the low 30's?
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Economic Left/ Right 3.00
    Social Libertarian/ Authoritarian -5.59
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: 0.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.79

Economic Left/Right: 0.88
    Social Authority/Liberty: 4.06
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Economic: left/right: -0.12
    Social libertarian/authoritarian: -3.49

I have no idea what those number mean.

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    Economic: left/right: -0.12
    Social libertarian/authoritarian: -3.49

I have no idea what those number mean.
    The economic axis is how much control the government should exert in the economy. Negative numbers are high government control.
    The social axis is how much control the government should exert in individual behavior. Positive numbers are high government control.

To give you an idea of how you compare to well- known political figures, plot your numbers on this chart:

Ha, look at ole Mittens and Obama, just a few points off.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2

Board meltdown in 3...2....1

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

70 on the first test. 2.38/0.26 on the second.

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

The economic axis is how much control the government should exert in the economy. Negative numbers are high government control.
    The social axis is how much control the government should exert in individual behavior. Positive numbers are high government control.

To give you an idea of how you compare to well- known political figures, plot your numbers on this chart:
    slightly left libertarian

Social Authority/Liberty: 4.06
    Woops, sorry I fucked up when writing this. (Mobile phone)

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.06

Same numbers but I wrote it out in the wrong order before.

Ha, look at ole Mittens and Obama, just a few points off.

Most of the figures up there are pretty polarizing guys. I'd bet nearly every modern elected official would be right around the same area as Romney and Obama. I'm not saying it's right or wrong for any reason, but I think it's fair to point out that a big difference on issues between two elected officials in the US is generally much smaller in scale than it would be for Nelson Mandela vs. the Pope for example. That chart takes into account many more views than are represented within our government. Therefore most mainstream US citizens would probably fall very close to each other. I'm not referring to Romney vs. Obama specifically, just in general.

Not to mention, all the information here should be taken with a grain of salt. I liked both polls and thought they were fairly accurate. But I wouldn't take anything on a chart as gospel just because a website says so.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Most of the figures up there are pretty polarizing guys. I'd bet nearly every modern elected official would be right around the same area as Romney and Obama. I'm not saying it's right or wrong for any reason, but I think it's fair to point out that a big difference on issues between two elected officials in the US is generally much smaller in scale than it would be for Nelson Mandela vs. the Pope for example. That chart takes into account many more views than are represented within our government. Therefore most mainstream US citizens would probably fall very close to each other. I'm not referring to Romney vs. Obama specifically, just in general.

Not to mention, all the information here should be taken with a grain of salt. I liked both polls and thought they were fairly accurate. But I wouldn't take anything on a chart as gospel just because a website says so.
    The results on that chart for anyone who hasn't actually taken the test are speculative, and the "center" is completely subjective. But having said that, their remarkably similar placement shouldn't be surprising to anybody. Obama is an Illinois academic liberal Democrat who is forced to behave more moderately than he'd like, and Romney is a Massachusetts mainstream Democrat- turned- Republican who was selected because he was the least- conservative in the field. Both are more authoritarian than the average.

The results on that chart for anyone who hasn't actually taken the test are speculative, and the "center" is completely subjective. But having said that, their remarkably similar placement shouldn't be surprising to anybody. Obama is an Illinois academic liberal Democrat who is forced to behave more moderately than he'd like, and Romney is a Massachusetts mainstream Democrat- turned- Republican who was selected because he was the least- conservative in the field. Both are more authoritarian than the average.
    Well, at least you didn't try and say the two are "exactly the same" this time. And the "Democrat turned Republican" line is a little misleading. Romney never registered Democrat. He voted for a Democratic candidate in an election before he had registered with a party. And at that time if you were an undecided voter in the state of MA and voted for a candidate in either the Democratic or Republican party the state automatically changed your voting status to that party. He changed his party back to "independent" immediately after learning the state designated him a Democrat.

They're not "exactly the same" and the placement on the chart doesn't show them that way. The results of electing them, however, would have been pretty much indistinguishable except for the fact that Congressional Republicans wouldn't have opposed his "progressive" initiatives and we would've ended up in a much worse position.

They're not "exactly the same" and the placement on the chart doesn't show them that way. The results of electing them, however, would have been pretty much indistinguishable except for the fact that Congressional Republicans wouldn't have opposed his "progressive" initiatives and we would've ended up in a much worse position.
    Only problem with your theory, is that many congressional Republicans aren't straight up opposing Obama's initiatives. As you're well aware, many in the party are now trying to compromise with the President. Which means, like it or not, Obama isn't done passing reforms. And having a somewhat liberal minded Republican President actually doesn't sound like an awful idea to me depending on where the liberal ideals are, as poorly received as that statement might be on this board. I really think we dropped the ball by not electing Romney. More so over the last few days than even before. I know you'll never agree with that, and that's fine, but I need the Libertarian party and Republicans who lean towards Libertarian ideals, to present a more well defined plan of action than what I've seen before I'll ever consider them a viable option to run this nation. There are too many holes, too many versions and too many nut jobs involved with what the libertarian movement wants to do for me to be comfortable supporting it at this point. I've seen Republican and Democratic ideas work before. The system is in turmoil, but it is not broken. Admittedly, getting it back to where it needs to be to do the things this country needs might be as far fetched as a Libertarian overhaul taking place, but I'm inclined to think it is a better option than scrapping everything. Again, I realize you'll disagree.

Only problem with your theory, is that many congressional Republicans aren't straight up opposing Obama's initiatives. As you're well aware, many in the party are now trying to compromise with the President. Which means, like it or not, Obama isn't done passing reforms. And having a somewhat liberal minded Republican President actually doesn't sound like an awful idea to me depending on where the liberal ideals are, as poorly received as that statement might be on this board. I really think we dropped the ball by not electing Romney. More so over the last few days than even before. I know you'll never agree with that, and that's fine, but I need the Libertarian party and Republicans who lean towards Libertarian ideals, to present a more well defined plan of action than what I've seen before I'll ever consider them a viable option to run this nation. There are too many holes, too many versions and too many nut jobs involved with what the libertarian movement wants to do for me to be comfortable supporting it at this point. I've seen Republican and Democratic ideas work before. The system is in turmoil, but it is not broken. Admittedly, getting it back to where it needs to be to do the things this country needs might be as far fetched as a Libertarian overhaul taking place, but I'm inclined to think it is a better option than scrapping everything. Again, I realize you'll disagree.
    Yeah, I sure do.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Board meltdown in 3...2....1

Those who voted for Romney simply felt he was a better electable option than Obama for the most part.

Just because Romney got 47 times the popular vote your guy did is no reason for a malfunction.

You want gridlock, others aren't so sure.

Now put your bot fangs away and play nice.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Those who voted for Romney simply felt he was a better electable option than Obama for the most part.

Just because Romney got 47 times the popular vote your guy did is no reason for a malfunction.

You have no idea who I voted for.
    Last edited by X-Terminator; 05-28-2013 at 01:50 PM. Reason: No name-calling, 43. You know better.

That plus $0.50 will get you a cup of coffee, but it sure won't win you an election.

Don't get pissy because you fell for his bs. He is Obama lite and nothing less. HE WAS'T ELECTABLE EVEN THOUGH YOU AND YOUR ILK THOUGHT SO! Republicans have become a pathetic shell of themselves. All of you should be ashamed that you even considered electing a Rhino.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Don't get pissy because you fell for his bs. He is Obama lite and nothing less. HE WAS'T ELECTABLE EVEN THOUGH YOU AND YOUR ILK THOUGHT SO! Republicans have become a pathetic shell of themselves. All of you should be ashamed that you even considered electing a Rhino.

You're entitled to your opinioin. But so am I. And I can tell you quite clearly I feel no shame or remorse for supporting Romney. I have no doubt the country would be moving in a better direction if he had been elected.

We'll just have to wait and see what the next presendential election will bring. But I'll offer this opinion, you wont find someone right of Romney that will have a snowball in hell's chance of winning a general election.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."