Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitt Romney was an unelectable, liberal, disingenuous dirtbag and I'm glad he lost.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Mitt Romney was an unelectable, liberal, disingenuous dirtbag and I'm glad he lost.

I started this thread so certain people on this forum (you know who you are) will have a place to vent their frustration without selfishly derailing every other thread on the forum.
    It's over. He lost. The reason he lost is because nobody liked him. Deal with it.

I recommend that next time you back a candidate that somebody likes, 'cuz berating people who refuse to get behind whatever self-aggrandizing jackass you dredge up ain't a winning strategy.
    /release the hounds...
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Dwinsgames

Re: Mitt Romney was an unelectable, liberal, disingenuous dirtbag and I'm glad he los

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: Mitt Romney was an unelectable, liberal, disingenuous dirtbag and I'm glad he los

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Just givin' them a dedicated space to scrape the sand out of their hoo-hoos once and for all so they quit disrupting every other thread with their tantrums...

which reminds me...
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

No tantrums. Just hoping someone offers a real solution with real answers that fit into the world as it really exists instead of some fantasy land.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

So, when Obama destroys the country beyond repair and takes away all of your freedoms, your only reaction will be, "Hey, at least Romney wasn't president". The people who didn't vote for Romney because they felt he was as bad as Obama are as bad as the people who voted for Obama. Romney at least had business experience who had fixed institutions that were broken his entire adult life, and was able to balance a budget in a far-left state. Way better than the far-left nut who has disgraced the office of the presidency with his unproffessionalism, lives off the taxpayer dime with lavish vacations, and was on pace to successfully drive this country into complete catastrophe before the end of his second term. You're glad a guy who told the Russians he would have more flexibility if re-elected won over a guy who saved once saved the Winter Olympics?

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    So, when Obama destroys the country beyond repair and takes away all of your freedoms, your only reaction will be, "Hey, at least Romney wasn't president". The people who didn't vote for Romney because they felt he was as bad as Obama are as bad as the people who voted for Obama. Romney at least had business experience who had fixed institutions that were broken his entire adult life, and was able to balance a budget in a far-left state. Way better than the far-left nut who has disgraced the office of the presidency with his unproffessionalism, lives off the taxpayer dime with lavish vacations, and was on pace to successfully drive this country into complete catastrophe before the end of his second term. You're glad a guy who told the Russians he would have more flexibility if re-elected won over a guy who saved once saved the Winter Olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    No tantrums. Just hoping someone offers a real solution with real answers that fit into the world as it really exists instead of some fantasy land.
    That's a very lovely change of pace, but I think I'll leave this thread here just in case you have (yet another) moment of confusion when we're discussing some other topic and you feel the urge to remind me how I make you all mad-faced. This topic goes here, and the original topics stay where they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup. Because Romney woulda done all the same crap, and you folks wouldn't have had the intestinal fortitude to call him out on it. Just like most of the useless "conservatives" in Congress. Romney would have done *much more* damage than Obama.
    Change comes from standing up for your principles, not running away from them.
    / folks like you are the problem

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    That's a very lovely change of pace, but I think I'll leave this thread here just in case you have (yet another) moment of confusion when we're discussing some other topic and you feel the urge to remind me how I make you all mad-faced. This topic goes here, and the original topics stay where they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup. Because Romney woulda done all the same crap, and you folks wouldn't have had the intestinal fortitude to call him out on it. Just like most of the useless "conservatives" in Congress. Romney would have done *much more* damage than Obama.
    Change comes from standing up for your principles, not running away from them.
    / folks like you are the problem
    You saying it doesn't make it true.

You were wrong before the election and your'e wrong now.

And your ideals wouldn't even garner 1/3 the votes that Romney received in our most recent election, so I guess i can see where you might want to explore the "option" of armed revolution if the country doesn't collapse, as has been your long held dream.

Me? I'd rather try to fix things in the frame work of what's there, flawed as it is. We came up a few percent short this last time mostly because our candidate while worthy and qualified ( far from perfect) wasn't charismatic enough to displace the media's Golden Child.

I hope the GOP finds the right candidate in 16.

Perfection isn't obtainable, but this country can and should be doing a whole lot better than it currently is.

I agree with you on the last 2 sentences. As for the rest... not so much. Romney was an embarrassment; a skidmark. Even worse than McCain.

I agree with you on the last 2 sentences. As for the rest... not so much. Romney was an embarrassment; a skidmark. Even worse than McCain.
    One thing you can't deny, you haven't come up with a candidate that can even garner even half the vote Romney did. So until you make some inroads there you need to be a little more aware of the GOP as a whole.

Maybe Rand Paul can be that guy? But if he's going to be he'll have to lean more my way than yours to gain the sort of traction that will get him anywhere in a general election.

And if and when he does you'll hate him as much as you do Romney.

Dwinsgames

One thing you can't deny, you haven't come up with a candidate that can even garner even half the vote Romney did. So until you make some inroads there you need to be a little more aware of the GOP as a whole.

Maybe Rand Paul can be that guy? But if he's going to be he'll have to lean more my way than yours to gain the sort of traction that will get him anywhere in a general election.

I read an interesting article some months ago ...

a reporter went to an Obama rally that had several hundred supporters and media everywhere ........
    same reporter went to a Romney rally again with several hundred supporters and media everywhere ......
    same said reporter went to a Ron Paul rally with over 5k supporters and not 1 news crew to be found with a camera rolling .....

The Media is run by the political parties and they are the ones who determine who is on the ballot not the people because the media controls public perception .....

before we can fix the political spectrum we first have to fix the media and since it is owned by big business good luck in that venture

Big Business = government .....
    Government = Big Business .....

either way you slice it the average Joe gets screwed unless wholesale changes are made to the way Average Joe does his business

Maybe he will, and if so he'll have my support. But nothing you've said here disproves my assertion that Romney was a sad excuse for a candidate. It's more of a "yeah, but..."

Maybe he will, and if so he'll have my support. But nothing you've said here disproves my assertion that Romney was a sad excuse for a candidate. It's more of a "yeah, but..."
    When you can produce a candidate that can get more than 30% of the vote in a general election get back to us.

Until then I'll do my best to beat Obama and his policies at the polling place with the best electable alternative at every level of government and do my best to make them accountable afterwards.

Not ideal, but it's as good an answer as there is and will be.

Oh, please... like *you've* ever "held a Republican accountable" for anything. Knowing you, you'll be backing yet another liberal loser and then get all yelly because everyone else thinks he's pathetic. I'm guessing Rubio...
    /pull the other one

Oh, please... like *you've* ever "held a Republican accountable" for anything.
    /pull the other one
    Again let me know when you find someone who thinks like you do that can gain ao much as 1/3 of the vote in a general election Slash.

And you know the difference between your candidates and te rest of ours is? Power. When yours get some they'll do the exact same things all the Democrats and Republicans do. Quid pro quo, back room dirty dealings, ear marks, etc... No we don't like it, but it's the way of the world, and it long predates this country. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

So you choose your poison, find the one that's the least damaging, may actually have some positive residual effects and live with it the best you can. Call it cynical if you like, but it's just the way it is and will always be. You can change the suits, but the bodies inside will always resort to the same in time.

Again let me know when you find someone who thinks like you do that can gain ao much as 1/3 of the vote in a general election Slash.

And you know the difference between your candidates and te rest of ours is? Power. When yours get some they'll do the exact same things all the Democrats and Republicans do. Quid pro quo, back room dirty dealings, ear marks, etc... No we don't like it, but it's the way of the world, and it long predates this country. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

So you choose your poison, find the one that's the least damaging, may actually have some positive residual effects and live with it the best you can. Call it cynical if you like, but it's just the way it is and will always be. You can change the suits, but the bodies inside will always resort to the same in time.
    Thank you for stating clearly where you stand. As for me, I'm going to continue to fight to change that instead of selling out to it and pretending to like corrupt scumbags when I really don't.

Thank you for stating clearly where you stand. As for me, I'm going to continue to fight to change that instead of selling out to it and pretending to like corrupt scumbags when I really don't.
    When your guy gets' there ( if ever) guess what happens? He becomes a corrupt scum bag!! Because 1) you can't even get close unless you're bought and sold, 2) once there you can't get anything done unless you know how to play the game.

Ideals and platitudes don't put groceries on the table or pay the mortgage.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Paulbot malfunction Alert.

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Where your guy gets' there ( if ever) guess what happens? He becomes a corrupt scum bag!! Because 1) you can't even get close unless you're bought and sold, 2) once there you can't get anything done unless you know ow to p;lay the game.

Ideals and platitudes don't put groceries on the table or pay the mortgage.
    ^ Zu's heartfelt defense of corrupt scumbags everywhere.
    You know what you should do? Don't even *bother* running a candidate in 2016. Just spend the entire 2016 election cycle bitching about how people didn't vote for the dood with the olympic dancing horse *last* time.
    /trifecta of fail
    //President Hillary
    /// Blame everyone but yourself

^ Zu's heartfelt defense of corrupt scumbags everywhere.
    You know what you should do? Don't even *bother* running a candidate in 2016. Just spend the entire 2016 election cycle bitching about how people didn't vote for the dood with the olympic dancing horse *last* time.
    /trifecta of fail
    No I'll vote for the best electable candidate.

Just because I recognize that it's within a dog's nature to bite doesn't mean I can't find one that suit's my needs.

"Electable" like Romney, or "electable" like McCain?
    /how's that workin' out for ya?
    // lost all your elections *and* your credibility

"Electable" like Romney, or "electable" like McCain?
    /how's that workin' out for ya?
    // lost all your elections *and* your credibility
    Electable like Ron Paul? How's that working for you again?

I guess the difference is I can surmise how we can close the gap on percentage points and hopefully come up against a less charsimatic opponent.

Meanwhile you can see if that 29% who might not think armed revolution is too bad an idea can be exploited to your gains. Knowing full well that that avenue while highly implausible has more chance to see your ideals put in place than an election where every vote is counted could.

Electable like Ron Paul? How's that working for you again?
    Actually, not bad. We've got a few Senators, a good number of congressmen, a Presidential candidate and a sea change in the public discourse. And control of all the early States in the Primary. It's all pushing towards the day when we can make positive change despite folks like yourself who support corrupt scumbags.

I guess the difference is I can surmise how we can close the gap on percentage points and hopefully come up against a less charsimatic opponent.
    We'll just wait until they put up a corrupt loser who's even more of a corrupt loser than our corrupt loser...

Meanwhile you can see if that 29% who might not think armed revolution is too bad an idea can be exploited to your gains. Knowing full well that that avenue while highly implausible has more chance to see your ideals put in place than an election where every vote is counted could.
    I can? News to me. Thanks for the info?

[QUOTE=GoSlash27;374244][QUOTE=zulater;374243]Electable like Ron Paul? How's that working for you again?

Actually, not bad. We've got a few Senators, a good number of congressmen, a Presidential candidate and a sea change in the public discourse. And control of all the early States in the Primary.

We'll just wait until they put up a corrupt loser who's even more of a corrupt loser than our corrupt loser...

I can? News to me. Thanks for the info?
    The last I heard your strategy was dependent and wishfull of our current economy and all the pillars of our country collapsing beyond repair.

Nice guy you are. That shouldn't hurt anyone.

^ That's not the last you heard. It's the last you *wanted* to hear.
    /hatred is easier than thinking

^ That's not the last you heard. It's the last you *wanted* to hear.
    /hatred is easier than thinking

No hatred. You've alluded to that position many times on this board.

You want it all to come crumbling down, and then we'll all see the folly of our ways and you and Ron Paul can march arm and arm into the White House togehter and make the country all better by dragging us 100 years into the past.

I may have taken some liberties with that last part.

But i stand by the tenor of the first part. You've said many times you want things to fall pretty much apart for the eventual gain of your political beliefs.

My opinion, that's very callous and indifferent to the suffering such a governmental failing would cause to 10's of millions of your fellow Americans.

- - - Updated - - -

Got to shut the computer down. Bad lighting storm outside tonight and I don't want to fry the computer.

Good night, Sir. Ironic that you only seem to be able to stay on the topic of "the downfall of the government" in *this* thread

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

QFT
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

I probably said a few things last night I shouldn't have said. Oh well, it's a message board, so what?

I guess in the end what I'm trying to say is that politics is a game of give and take, and that the very essense of politics makes politicians have to compromise for an end game objective. In our system, any system that's not a dictatorship in fact, you're going to have opposing viewpoints on many important issues. If you're unyielding and demand your way 100% of the time you accomplish nothings. Just gridlock. that in fact is what's happening with our current POTUS. '

So while Romney, GWB, Reagan, you name it, have all been guilty of playing the game, it's the way it is. and it's not nearly as bad as people believe. Things do get done, and the majority of the country prospers. Until the housing market collapsed things weren't going that badly were they? Yeah yeah yeah, I know house of cards, but I put Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac mostly on liberal policy makers. I think things could be going pretty well right now if banks hadn't been forced into stupid loans to people who had no chance to ever pay them back.

Anyway long story short I don't believe in Utopia. I don't think we can go back in time and abolish all taxes. I don't think we can ignore the threat of terrorism, both domestically and globally. And I don't think you can effectivley counter terrorism without some intrusion on your individual rights on occasion.

I know that will bring down the house, but sorry, you're being naive if you think that law enforcement hasn't always crossed the line when the threat's been great enough and trampled some rights. It's a fine line, and honestly who among us here have been harrased by the government?

Oh well I think it's just common sense that you can't stop bad people without occasionally infringing on innocents.

Anyway perfection is unobtainable in this world. You have to set reasonable political goals, goals that can be made to appeal to a consensus. Goals that no one's completely happy with but that everyone can comfortably live with when they sit back and think it through.

I don't think the far left or the far right will ever govern enough to the middle to move this country foward. Therefore I look at what you consider wishy washy Republicans and see them as someone who can nudge us in the right direction an inch at a time. Slow change can be accomplished, but you overstep your bounds, i.e taking away all welfare, food stamps, medicare etc... overnight, you'll be handed your ass and will accomplish nothing.

Sorry for the rambling post. I can't explain all my feelings, and I don't claim to be the most politically savvy guy around. But I'm not an idiot. And while I can't tell you what the solutuions all are, I do believe I have a general sense of what can and can't be done when you try to govern 350 million people with different goals, dreams, assets, and liabilities. It's got to be a government for the people and by the people, not just the ones that think like you.