Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marines steamed by loss of hot meal at Afghanistan base

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Marines steamed by loss of hot meal at Afghanistan base

Obaaama orders hot meals cut for combat deployed Marines due to costs while planing a lengthy tax payer funded vacation for the First Wookie.

By Bill Briggs, NBC News contributor

Marines at Camp Leatherneck in Afghanistan will lose a key daily meal starting Saturday, causing some to forgo a hot breakfast and others to work six-plus hours without refueling on cooked food, according to Marines at the base and Marine Corps officials.

The midnight ration service — known there as “midrats" — supplies breakfast to Marines on midnight-to-noon shifts and dinner to Marines who are ending noon-to-midnight work periods. It's described as one of the few times the Marines at Leatherneck can be together in one place.

The base, which is located in Afghanistan’s southwestern Helmand Province, flanked by Iran and Pakistan, also will remove its 24-hour sandwich bar. It plans to replace the dishes long offered at midnight with pre-packaged MREs, said Marine Corps Lt. Col. Cliff Gilmore, who has been deployed in Afghanistan since February.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...stan-base?lite

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Marines steamed by loss of hot meal at Afghanistan base

If you eat MREs for too long they mess up your digestion. I am talking lots of constipation and farting and from what I hear Afghanistan already smells like one giant open sewer.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

That's nice, cut the hot meals for our troops sacrificing their lives overseas to make room for King Obama's 132nd taxpayer funded vacation with his mooching wife that he doesn't and certainly hasn't earned. Obama is nothing more than a self-serving ruler who has used the office of presidency for his personal benefit.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Wow. They endure enough as it is.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

What the fuck. I've heard about stuff like this happening on several overseas bases but this one takes the cake. Camp Leatherneck is in Helmand Province (southernish Afghanistan) which is pretty much right smack in the middle of Taliban conflict, or has been recently at least. Does the government think these guys can survive indefinitely off MREs? This is awful.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

member since day 1 Array title="7SteelGal43 is a name known to all"> 7SteelGal43's Avatar

And to think, we (and I don't me me) re-elected this piece of

In case there is anyone in this country that hasn't figured this out yet, he's an arrogant, pseudo intellectual, self serving, marxist, anti American,military disrespecting, Muslim. I dare you to argue that point.
    Stay classy, leftnutz

And to think this cocksucker had a $7500 a month food allowance.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 7SteelGal43 View Post
    And to think, we (and I don't me me) re-elected this piece of

In case there is anyone in this country that hasn't figured this out yet, he's an arrogant, pseudo intellectual, self serving, marxist, anti American,military disrespecting, Muslim. I dare you to argue that point.
    The sad thing is a person can post new stories like this every day. This piece of shit has to make things as painful as possible when he doesn't get his way and he doesn't care who he hurts.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This is just another attempt to shame Republicans into relenting on sequester. What this president doesn't understand, is that this is not Chicago politics. We see through it.

I've said it already and I stand behind it one hundred percent. The biggest problem this president has is his arrogance. He refuses to learn from others, or to think that others may be right in any way, shape, or form, not to mention he thinks so little of us that he believes he can run a stupid little political stunt like this, and we would all fall for it.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    This is just another attempt to shame Republicans into relenting on sequester. What this president doesn't understand, is that this is not Chicago politics. We see through it.

I've said it already and I stand behind it one hundred percent. The biggest problem this president has is his arrogance. He refuses to learn from others, or to think that others may be right in any way, shape, or form, not to mention he thinks so little of us that he believes he can run a stupid little political stunt like this, and we would all fall for it.
    The sad thing is that not enough people had a problem with his Chicago style politics last election Preach.

Also, being in his final term, I would imagine he is not to concerned about the repercussions of his actions to the degree he was before the election.

2016...with the demographics continuing to slant towards minorities and 4 more years of misedeucated children coming out of our schools do you think the liberal candidate will have to do more than distance themselves from Obama a bit iff necessary.

Ugh.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    The sad thing is a person can post new stories like this every day. This piece of shit has to make things as painful as possible when he doesn't get his way and he doesn't care who he hurts.

yes people can post stories like this everyday especially when they are making them up. http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=118959 heres the link to the department of defenses response to this garbage story. Ya meals where cut from closing bases that are being turned over to the afghans its a standard draw down by our military its not Obama coming in and saying no more hot breakfast, also its not due to the budget or sequester. This is what the military does when they draw down out of an area it has nothing to do with Obama!

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

You say it's a "garbage story," but let's take a look at the dates of the stories:

Your story - January 10, 2013
    The OP story - Friday (May 31)

It is also a story posted on NBCNews.com, not exactly some conservative rag. So there isn't much question that this is happening. However you are correct that it's not related to budget cuts, which BTW isn't even mentioned in the OP story, which tells me that you didn't bother reading it (and judging by some of the responses, nobody else did either). I'm just not sure if this is what we should be doing to our Marines at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    You say it's a "garbage story," but let's take a look at the dates of the stories:

Your story - January 10, 2013
    The OP story - Friday (May 31)

It is also a story posted on NBCNews.com, not exactly some conservative rag. So there isn't much question that this is happening, however you are correct that it's not related to budget cuts, which BTW isn't even mentioned in the OP story, which tells me that you didn't bother reading it. I'm just not sure if this is what we should be doing to our Marines at this time.
    oh I read it but he prefaced the article with this', "Obaaama orders hot meals cut for combat deployed Marines due to costs while planing a lengthy tax payer funded vacation for the First Wookie." Judging by the comments on here im apparently the only one who read it. the article says what is going on but his story of Obama cutting out meals for troops for budget reasons is total garbage and a total lie. Hence the part where I said people can post stories like this everday when they are making them up.

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

A buddy of mine just fb messaged me and told me hot meals were just cut. He's in Afghanistan at a base that is in full force, definitely not on the verge of closing down, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    A buddy of mine just fb messaged me and told me hot meals were just cut. He's in Afghanistan at a base that is in full force, definitely not on the verge of closing down, so...
    It's total garbage and a total lie people can post stories like this everday when they are making them up.

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    yes people can post stories like this everyday especially when they are making them up. http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=118959 heres the link to the department of defenses response to this garbage story. Ya meals where cut from closing bases that are being turned over to the afghans its a standard draw down by our military its not Obama coming in and saying no more hot breakfast, also its not due to the budget or sequester. This is what the military does when they draw down out of an area it has nothing to do with Obama!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

yes people can post stories like this everyday especially when they are making them up. http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=118959 heres the link to the department of defenses response to this garbage story.
    I believe Department of Defense-generated "information" (more like propaganda) even less than I believe the MSM, particularly when it's attempting to debunk stories that put the department in a bad light. The fact that they even went out of their way to do so leads me to believe it's the truth. Hindes' buddy's account of it is really all I needed to read.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Does this usually happen when the military draws down in a conflict? Did this happen when we left Iraq? I'm genuinely curious and trying not to jump to conclusions here.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I agree with Steeldawg on this one. MidRats *is* being cut and one more meal will be cut as well, and Steeldawg never suggested otherwise. What he's saying is that the reasons you folks are throwing around are totally unsubstantiated; conjecture on your part.
    As we pull out of Afghanistan, we are rotating out support people first. The support people are the ones who cook the hot meals.
    This is a standard process. We do it every time we draw down and we do the opposite every time we establish a presence.
    It's not about cost savings. It's not about Obama punishing the troops. It's not about the sequester. It's most definitely not about Michelle's vacation. Yinz made that part up.

- - - Updated - - -

Does this usually happen when the military draws down in a conflict? Did this happen when we left Iraq? I'm genuinely curious and trying not to jump to conclusions here.
    Yep. Happened both times we ended our conflicts with Iraq. And we did the opposite during the buildups. Boots were there first and there were no hot meals at all.
    It's normal.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

While President Obama Parties, Soldiers Suffer from Sequester Cuts

Kyle Becker
    On June 1, 2013
    https://twitter.com/kylenbecker

While America’s jet-setting president will be bouncing from fundraiser to fundraiser, the nation’s troops will be suffering from military budget cuts proposed by the Democrats and signed into law by President Obama.

Among the most egregious cuts is the laying off of medical staff at Walter Reed hospital for wounded warriors. ABC 7 in Maryland reported:

Hospital officials say the furloughs affect 2,392 caregivers at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda. That’s 94% of the civilian staff there.

The furloughs stem from the automatic budget cuts from sequestration.

Out of the Department of Defense’s 800,000 civilian workers, about 68,000 are exempt from the furloughs. Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel has said furloughs will save the department $1.8 billion.

Meanwhile, special hot food rounds for Marines is being scrapped in Afghanistan, where more than 70% of the fatalities from the 12-year war have come under President Obama. NBC News covered the deplorable move at Camp Leatherneck:

The midnight ration service — known there as “midrats” — supplies breakfast to Marines on midnight-to-noon shifts and dinner to Marines who are ending noon-to-midnight work periods. It’s described as one of the few times the Marines at Leatherneck can be together in one place.

The base, which is located in Afghanistan’s southwestern Helmand Province, flanked by Iran and Pakistan, also will remove its 24-hour sandwich bar. It plans to replace the dishes long offered at midnight with pre-packaged MREs, said Marine Corps Lt. Col. Cliff Gilmore, who has been deployed in Afghanistan since February.

And while nearly all Americans will be roasting brats and clinking beer bottles on the Fourth of July, soldiers at Fort Bragg and the Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst will have cancelled their “Independence Day” celebrations. It would be remiss not to mention that Allied forces in Afghanistan suffered a major assault on the Fourth of July last year.

Couldn’t the president have cancelled a White House concert jam to save a little extra cash to thank our troops on the Fourth? Maybe have foregone one of his white tie dinners? Or most seriously, made sure our wounded vets have round-the-clock top notch care? Not majority Democrat constituents, not his problem?

And isn’t the furloughing of medical staff at Walter Reed a perfect example of rationing under a single-payer healthcare system — one run by the Veteran’s Administration? Because, after all, no matter how many decrees government passes, resources are always limited. Not to mention the fact that Obamacare is already rationing care for folks with pre-existing conditions. Wasn’t that supposed to be free? I thought it was going to cut the deficit and even lead to better marriages.

The U.S. government has a nearly $3.75 trillion budget, and the 2.4% budget trim known as the sequester does not even cut spending, it only reduces its growth. But Democrats obviously want to make America feel the burn for the government cutting any spending, ever, and so they have devised some pretty nasty targeted cuts to rub the citizens’ faces in it.

Remember that come 2014. And while you’re out celebrating this Independent Day, send a care package to our troops and have a toast for the men and women who make freedom possible in this country. Because it’s currently under siege and we should thank our veterans now more than ever.
    http://www.ijreview.com/2013/06/5633...s-budget-cuts/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Found out today through my grandmother that not only will my cousin lose a majority of all hot food where he's stationed, there'll be a less amount of food given to each soldier altogether. It's not a good thing when the soldiers are all saying "I'm serving my country, not the fuckhead that's running it.", and that's a direct-quote from more than just one individual fighting for our country. This is absolute bullshit. Why don't you cut your own fucking spending, Obama?

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Noticed certain people have been avoiding this thread altogether. Guess they can't handle the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by bayz101 View Post
    Noticed certain people have been avoiding this thread altogether. Guess they can't handle the truth.

It's total garbage and a total lie people can post stories like this everday when they are making them up.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yes. But the difference between what conditions were like when we were pulling out of Iraq compared to what conditions are like ipcurrently in Afghanistan are night in day. from my knowledge anyway. The Taliban and particularly al Queda are shattered in general but they still have very strong footholds in Afghanistan and the danger to our guys hasn't gone anywhere. The ANA is still corrupt and still needs a ton of help daily.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I hadn't noticed. Who do you mean?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    Yes. But the difference between what conditions were like when we were pulling out of Iraq compared to what conditions are like ipcurrently in Afghanistan are night in day. from my knowledge anyway. The Taliban and particularly al Queda are shattered in general but they still have very strong footholds in Afghanistan and the danger to our guys hasn't gone anywhere. The ANA is still corrupt and still needs a ton of help daily.
    Sounds to me like your issue isn't with the fact that the MidRats is reverting to MREs, but rather that the drawdown that necessitates it is happening.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

No ones avoiding it but the truth is its a military draw down it has nothing to do with Obama or spending, this is standard procedure so get over it. I know you would love to believe that Obama who hates us troops so much that hes going to cut out hot meals and use the money to send michele on a lavish vacation but sane people know that's just not true.

Sam why
    No ones avoiding it but the truth is its a military draw down it has nothing to do with Obama or spending, this is standard procedure so get over it. I know you would love to believe that Obama who hates us troops so much that hes going to cut out hot meals and use the money to send michele on a lavish vacation but sane people know that's just not true.
    Yeah Dawg. A military draw back has nothing to do with the Commander in Chief or spending whatsoever. Another fucking gem dropped by you.

Nothing to do with Obama or spending? Do you think before you speak?

Wow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    Sam why

Yeah Dawg. A military draw back has nothing to do with the Commander in Chief or spending whatsoever. Another fucking gem dropped by you.

Nothing to do with Obama or spending? Do you think before you speak?

Wow.

- - - Updated - - -

Dawg,
    Let me apologize on behalf of my socially- challenged colleagues. You and I don't agree on much, but this childishness isn't something that I condone.
    -Slashy

As a veteran....I'm throwing the BS flag on that statement. At no point, as we pulled out of an area, did we have our hot meals cut. Any Vet can tell you that the old saying has always been that "As things heat up, meals cool down...as things cool down, meals heat up".

Well....so much for your statement, dawg.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Dawg,
    Let me apologize on behalf of my socially- challenged colleagues. You and I don't agree on much, but this childishness isn't something that I condone.
    -Slashy
    your condescension never ceases to amaze me

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    As a veteran....I'm throwing the BS flag on that statement. At no point, as we pulled out of an area, did we have our hot meals cut. Any Vet can tell you that the old saying has always been that "As things heat up, meals cool down...as things cool down, meals heat up".

Well....so much for your statement, dawg.
    exactly. Notice how my statement of actual events was ignored by those who choose not to believe it. As I said, these accounts (there are more than just one now) that I am hearing from friends are not due to any draw down. These are bases that are still in full force, not shutting down or turning over the reigns any time soon.

I was in Iraq during the draw down, we were one of the last Americans to leave the base we were turning over to the Iraqis.....We still had mess hall hot meals the day we left, and there were very few US troops left there. So, where this "knowledge" from the two of how things work is coming from, I don't know.