Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Mitt Romney was an unelectable, liberal, disingenuous dirtbag and I'm glad he lost.

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

Re: Mitt Romney was an unelectable, liberal, disingenuous dirtbag and I'm glad he los

"R2P also prepared a detailed plan for Romney’s first 200 days in office—a list including preparations to repeal Obamacare, develop a tax reform plan, and roll back federal regulations, all in accordance with the Romney campaign’s policy agenda and his campaign promises."

- - - Updated - - -

Yep... "exactly" the same as Obama...
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Re: Mitt Romney was an unelectable, liberal, disingenuous dirtbag and I'm glad he los

Some people will like what Romney had laid out... others will hate it... the point is... a Romney White House would have been ANYTHING BUT "exactly the same" as an Obama White House.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    Some people will like what Romney had laid out... others will hate it... the point is... a Romney White House would have been ANYTHING BUT "exactly the same" as an Obama White House.
    So your saying he wouldn't be taking endless vacations, constantly playing golf, and throwing high tax dollar hollywood parties?

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

But it still wouldn't have been the Utopian - no tax- no infringment of personal liberty- 100% Constitutional compliant government, that never existed in the first place. So they'd still be miserable.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    So your saying he wouldn't be taking endless vacations, constantly playing golf, and throwing high tax dollar hollywood parties?
    Oh he certainly would. And I'm sure he does all that now. But that doesn't make the way he would have done the job "exactly the same as Obama". And every president in history has done that type of stuff - or his time's equivalent. You could nitpick Lincoln apart if you wanted to. There is no such thing as a perfect candidate. And while some of us sit around and wait for one theorizing "what if" on message boards I'll continue to support candidates who would have fostered change such as Mitt Romney as proven here.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Oh he certainly would. And I'm sure he does all that now. But that doesn't make the way he would have done the job "exactly the same as Obama". And every president in history has done that type of stuff - or his time's equivalent. You could nitpick Lincoln apart if you wanted to. There is no such thing as a perfect candidate. And while some of us sit around and wait for one theorizing "what if" on message boards I'll continue to support candidates who would have fostered change such as Mitt Romney as proven here.
    You must be drawing some distinction that I'm missing. "Would have" in your case means the exact same thing it does in mine; he lost. And "change"... if there "would have" been any, it would've been marginal at best.
    You vote for losers and so do I, but at least I vote for losers who would initiate serious conservative reforms.
    /can't help but point out that you complained that the McCain thing was "days ago", yet you're still fussing about the guy who lost 6 months ago...
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

MST Junkie Array title="SteelCityMom is on a distinguished road">

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Obama 51%

Libertarians <1%

Sure *WAS* an ass whoopin!

This is of course very true. So I have to ask, how is it the fault of libertarians that Romney lost? I keep reading that all over the place. Romney needed over 4% more of votes to beat Obama, but the >1% of people who voted libertarian are being singled out as those who are to blame? Something just doesn't add up there lol.

This was certainly an interesting thread to read, and definitely helped waste some time before hockey...but I honestly can't get past the fact that many people don't even recognize that the gov't isn't even run by politicians anymore. It's run by lobbyists. Whoever can deliver the most favors automatically wins (more favorable media attention, more money for campaigning, more votes). Romney just didn't have as many as Obama...and of course Paul and Johnson didn't have that kind of support. Hence the >1%. I guarantee if you did a blind poll, more people would find they are more libertarian than anything else.

It also doesn't help the GOP that they can't shake off the social conservative monkey off their back. That is one of the biggest turnoffs for people. Many would rather be associated with liberals at that point.

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
    This is of course very true. So I have to ask, how is it the fault of libertarians that Romney lost? I keep reading that all over the place. Romney needed over 4% more of votes to beat Obama, but the >1% of people who voted libertarian are being singled out as those who are to blame? Something just doesn't add up there lol.

This was certainly an interesting thread to read, and definitely helped waste some time before hockey...but I honestly can't get past the fact that many people don't even recognize that the gov't isn't even run by politicians anymore. It's run by lobbyists. Whoever can deliver the most favors automatically wins (more favorable media attention, more money for campaigning, more votes). Romney just didn't have as many as Obama...and of course Paul and Johnson didn't have that kind of support. Hence the >1%. I guarantee if you did a blind poll, more people would find they are more libertarian than anything else.

It also doesn't help the GOP that they can't shake off the social conservative monkey off their back. That is one of the biggest turnoffs for people. Many would rather be associated with liberals at that point.
    You are absolutely right, especially the part about gop stances social issues being a huge turnoff for people.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    You are absolutely right, especially the part about gop stances social issues being a huge turnoff for people.
    This thread is about Romney, not the GOP. Romney isn't an extremist on social issues.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    This thread is about Romney, not the GOP. Romney isn't an extremist on social issues.
    So why don't you quote the person who posted it?

So why don't you quote the person who posted it?

I have many times.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I meant the person who posted about the gop social issues.

I meant the person who posted about the gop social issues.
    You agreed with her. You're both wrong, Romney isn't an extremist on social issues. That really shouldn't have factored into the election. Not saying it didn't. Because Democrats have many minorities falsely convinced that all Republicans are trying to steal their vote, and woman that their reproductive right will be stripped. The Dems misinformation machine is a powerfull thing. I don't know if any of us will ever live to see another non Democrat elected to the White House?

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Yeah, and until they understand that it's 2013, not 1950, they will continue to turn people off and lose elections regardless of their stances on other issues. As soon as the Tea Party conservatives start promoting Rick Perry and that Todd Akin idiot, they were pretty much done. Romney is a moderate on social issues, but he could not wipe off the stench of the ultra right-wing social conservatives. They are bringing the party down as much, if not more, than the RINOs are.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Yeah, and until they understand that it's 2013, not 1950, they will continue to turn people off and lose elections regardless of their stances on other issues. As soon as the Tea Party conservatives start promoting Rick Perry and that Todd Akin idiot, they were pretty much done. Romney is a moderate on social issues, but he could not wipe off the stench of the ultra right-wing social conservatives. They are bringing the party down as much, if not more, than the RINOs are.
    I'll go along with that. Those folks aren't properly "Republicans" anyway. They're southern Democrats and IMO it was a mistake to ever adjust to them, let alone let them drive. "Social conservatism" is fundamentally incompatible with the core principles of conservatism.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

MST Junkie Array title="SteelCityMom is on a distinguished road">

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Thanks, that was pretty much my point (though I could have explained it better). It doesn't really matter what Romney's stance on social issues was...the party in general needs to distance itself from those who would put their own personal beliefs above Constitutional rights. In short, the Republican party needs to become more libertarian to have a chance in hell of winning another presidency.