Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitt Romney was an unelectable, liberal, disingenuous dirtbag and I'm glad he lost.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Mitt Romney was an unelectable, liberal, disingenuous dirtbag and I'm glad he los

There is a greater probability that Romney would not have allowed our people to be killed in Libya, he would have responded and had nothing to cover up. In addition, he would have been more supportive of Israel and not load up the US Government with muslims in an attempt to appease that group.

I also believe the job situation would be much better and we would be talking about taming inflation, not deflation. There would also be a lot more new home construction and auto sales.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Re: Mitt Romney was an unelectable, liberal, disingenuous dirtbag and I'm glad he los

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    There is a greater probability that Romney would not have allowed our people to be killed in Libya, he would have responded and had nothing to cover up. In addition, he would have been more supportive of Israel and not load up the US Government with muslims in an attempt to appease that group.

I also believe the job situation would be much better and we would be talking about taming inflation, not deflation. There would also be a lot more new home construction and auto sales.
    I agree with everything you've said here.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I'm not trying to be rude, flipant or funny when I say I think slash's definition of a liberal is anyone who doesn't think lock step with him.

Seriously he thinks I'm liberal, Romney's liberal, basically anyone who doesn't view the world exactly as he does is liberal. Basically Slash seems to think if you say something assertively enough it becomes fact.

Romney's liberal. Now it's a fact because slash said it. Just because 3/4 of the country would strongly disagree with that assessment means nothing to him. He just says it again assertiveley and then in his mind it becomes fact. And if he argues you on it he'll quote himself again. Yes it's a fact because I say so, and I and I alone define what's liberal and what's isn't.

This is the mindset we're arguing with here.

Here's what it comes down to to me. In order to effectively govern you have to be able of form a consensus with people with differing views. Therefore you have to compromise and par down your agenda to make it acceptable to everyone. This is not selling out. This isn't being liberal. This is being a grown up and figuring out what you can get accomplished and what price has to be paid to d so.

Put it this way. A man wants to have sex 7 times a week with his wife. His wife really is only into it maybe 6 times a month. But if you do the dishes, maybe get her a nice necklace for no reason all of a sudden, she's agreeable to 15 times a month.

So is this guy a liberal sell out? Should he just take what he wants ,however he wants, whenever it suits him? If so does this make him an unflinching conservative or a scumbag rapist?

It's called being a grown up people. You have to give to get. It's always been that way and always will be.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I'm not trying to be rude, flipant or funny when I say I think slash's definition of a liberal is anyone who doesn't think lock step with him.

Seriously he thinks I'm liberal, Romney's liberal, basically anyone who doesn't view the world exactly as he does is liberal. Basically Slash seems to think if you say something assertively enough it becomes fact.

Romney's liberal. Now it's a fact because slash said it. Just because 3/4 of the country would strongly disagree with that assessment means nothing to him. He just says it again assertiveley and then in his mind it becomes fact. And if he argues you on it he'll quote himself again. Yes it's a fact because I say so, and I and I alone define what's liberal and what's isn't.

This is the mindset we're arguing with here.

Here's what it comes down to to me. In order to effectively govern you have to be able of form a consensus with people with differing views. Therefore you have to compromise and par down your agenda to make it acceptable to everyone. This is not selling out. This isn't being liberal. This is being a grown up and figuring out what you can get accomplished and what price has to be paid to d so.

Put it this way. A man wants to have sex 7 times a week with his wife. His wife really is only into it maybe 6 times a month. But if you do the dishes, maybe get her a nice necklace for no reason all of a sudden, she's agreeable to 15 times a month.

So is this guy a liberal sell out? Should he just take what he wants ,however he wants, whenever it suits him? If so does this make him an unflinching conservative or a scumbag rapist?

It's called being a grown up people. You have to give to get. It's always been that way and always will be.
    I'm gone for the day, so I'm not avoiding anyone's responce.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I probably said a few things last night I shouldn't have said. Oh well, it's a message board, so what?

I guess in the end what I'm trying to say is that politics is a game of give and take, and that the very essense of politics makes politicians have to compromise for an end game objective. In our system, any system that's not a dictatorship in fact, you're going to have opposing viewpoints on many important issues. If you're unyielding and demand your way 100% of the time you accomplish nothings. Just gridlock. that in fact is what's happening with our current POTUS. '

So while Romney, GWB, Reagan, you name it, have all been guilty of playing the game, it's the way it is. and it's not nearly as bad as people believe. Things do get done, and the majority of the country prospers. Until the housing market collapsed things weren't going that badly were they? Yeah yeah yeah, I know house of cards, but I put Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac mostly on liberal policy makers. I think things could be going pretty well right now if banks hadn't been forced into stupid loans to people who had no chance to ever pay them back.

Anyway long story short I don't believe in Utopia. I don't think we can go back in time and abolish all taxes. I don't think we can ignore the threat of terrorism, both domestically and globally. And I don't think you can effectivley counter terrorism without some intrusion on your individual rights on occasion.

I know that will bring down the house, but sorry, you're being naive if you think that law enforcement hasn't always crossed the line when the threat's been great enough and trampled some rights. It's a fine line, and honestly who among us here have been harrased by the government?

Oh well I think it's just common sense that you can't stop bad people without occasionally infringing on innocents.

Anyway perfection is unobtainable in this world. You have to set reasonable political goals, goals that can be made to appeal to a consensus. Goals that no one's completely happy with but that everyone can comfortably live with when they sit back and think it through.

I don't think the far left or the far right will ever govern enough to the middle to move this country foward. Therefore I look at what you consider wishy washy Republicans and see them as someone who can nudge us in the right direction an inch at a time. Slow change can be accomplished, but you overstep your bounds, i.e taking away all welfare, food stamps, medicare etc... overnight, you'll be handed your ass and will accomplish nothing.

Sorry for the rambling post. I can't explain all my feelings, and I don't claim to be the most politically savvy guy around. But I'm not an idiot. And while I can't tell you what the solutuions all are, I do believe I have a general sense of what can and can't be done when you try to govern 350 million people with different goals, dreams, assets, and liabilities. It's got to be a government for the people and by the people, not just the ones that think like you.
    This is as complete a statement of your position as any. It restates what you said last night, so I don't know why you would be hesitant to own your own words.
    As for me... I don't subscribe to your philosophy and I think that your philosophy is exactly the reason why Republicans have no credibility anymore. And to attempt to foist someone like Mitt freakin' Romney on us and expect us to get all gaga over him... even worse, to get all upset when we *don't*, why... that's just plain weird.
    It's way too early, but 2016 is ramping up already. No doubt I won't like your candidate and you won't like mine. Should I expect you to continue to behave as you have over the last year because of that? Drive- bys, ad hominems, insults, personal attacks, thread- jacking, derailing discussions, flame- baiting, etc?
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

As much as hate to do it, I have to agree with slash , With just a little research on Romney's stint in Mass., Romney care, and economic evaluation of the ryan budget plan you will find that Romney was not a conservative not even close. Raising defense spending and lowering taxes was somehow going to cut the deficit? Face it people got behind Romney simply because they didn't like Obama, not because Romney was bringing anything new to the table. What slash Is saying (I think) if you where a conservative and understood conservative principles you would not be defending Mitt Romney.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Which reminds me: We don't have a Benghazi thread and there's been a lot of news this week on that...
    We can't say for sure what would've been different or how AFA the details of running the administration, but one thing that definitely *would've* been different is this: Every single legislative initiative that Obama was defeated on that Romney agreed with (check his public statements on them) would have been passed. The AWB would have passed. The debt limit would have been raised without opposition. The internet sales tax, immigration reform...
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    As much as hate to do it, I have to agree with slash , With just a little research on Romney's stint in Mass., Romney care, and economic evaluation of the ryan budget plan you will find that Romney was not a conservative not even close. Raising defense spending and lowering taxes was somehow going to cut the deficit? Face it people got behind Romney simply because they didn't like Obama, not because Romney was bringing anything new to the table. What slash Is saying (I think) if you where a conservative and understood conservative principles you would not be defending Mitt Romney.
    Pretty much. Romney was also soft on Constitutional issues, fiscal responsibility, big government, transparency, the 2nd Amendment... pretty much every single issue the TEA Party types care about. Romney was the GOP establishment candidate. They wanted someone who (to paraphrase zu) would go along to get along, keep his sponsors happy, and not alienate the DC power-brokers. Only problem was that voters didn't like him.
    *My* point is that he lost, and lost convincingly. It's over and he's never gonna be President, so folks who are still holding a candle for him should hike up their britches and get to work thinking about how they're going to keep Hillary out of the WH.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Pretty much. Romney was also soft on Constitutional issues, fiscal responsibility, big government, transparency, the 2nd Amendment... pretty much every single issue the TEA Party types care about. Romney was the GOP establishment candidate. They wanted someone who (to paraphrase zu) would go along to get along, keep his sponsors happy, and not alienate the DC power-brokers. Only problem was that voters didn't like him.
    *My* point is that he lost, and lost convincingly. It's over and he's never gonna be President, so folks who are still holding a candle for him should hike up their britches and get to work thinking about how they're going to keep Hillary out of the WH.
    But then what is to be done about congress they cant get anything done.

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    But then what is to be done about congress they cant get anything done.
    I've never had a problem with that. Every time they "get something done", it ends up screwing us. Legislation is supposed to be difficult to pass, not easy.

I've never had a problem with that. Every time they "get something done", it ends up screwing us. Legislation is supposed to be difficult to pass, not easy.
    Well I meant as far as coming up with meaningful solutions for jobs and the economy, how can these idiots be so divided all the time.

Yeah, and that's my point: These people don't come up with "meaningful solutions for jobs and the economy". What they come up with is payoffs for their corporate sponsors, bureaucracy, and red tape. Who ever told you that politicians know how to create jobs or manage an economy?
    They're not employers or economists, they're *politicians*. They're inept on their good days and corrupt on their bad days. I don't want their "meaningful solutions" unless their solution is to stop making things worse.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I don't see Hillary serving her entire term even if she gets elected. She looks so unhealthy that she could have a heart attack at any time and drop dead before she hits the ground.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I don't see Hillary serving her entire term even if she gets elected. She looks so unhealthy that she could have a heart attack at any time and drop dead before she hits the ground.
    Based on those Fresnel prisms she had on her glasses at the Benghazi hearing, I suspect her "fall and concussion", was actually a mild stroke. Fresnell prism is a temporary fix before you have prism ground into your glasses lenses to correct double vision. Strokes often cause double vision.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Based on those Fresnel prisms she had on her glasses at the Benghazi hearing, I suspect her "fall and concussion", was actually a mild stroke. Fresnell prism is a temporary fix before you have prism ground into your glasses lenses to correct double vision. Strokes often cause double vision.
    I hadn't noticed...

- - - Updated - - -

I hadn't noticed...
    Of course, concussions *also* are a common cause of double vision...

And also the distinct possibility that she faked the whole thing to delay the hearing while she was prepped and to garner sympathy so she wouldn't be held accountable for her misdeeds.
    "What does it matter now"?? Seriously?? And every single Republican in that room was too spineless to take her to task for it.
    But ya know... gotta go along to get along/ can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs, etc... right, Zu?

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

I really don't see fit to discuss the election any longer. It's in the past. Which is why it's annoying when Mitt Romney gets thrown into completely unrelated conversations when it's totally unnecessary as happened in the revolution thread.

That said, I did come in here excited to read some facts or examples behind you calling him a liberal, Slash. But unfortunately I'm leaving after reading the same baseless opinions that have been shoved down my throat since November. It's probably best for us to just leave this one alone from here on out. You have your opinions, albeit unfounded, and I have mine. I was more than happy to discuss this when it was relevant but you wouldn't play ball. Now, it doesn't really matter all that much.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    I really don't see fit to discuss the election any longer. It's in the past. Which is why it's annoying when Mitt Romney gets thrown into completely unrelated conversations when it's totally unnecessary as happened in the revolution thread.

That said, I did come in here excited to read some facts or examples behind you calling him a liberal, Slash. But unfortunately I'm leaving after reading the same baseless opinions that have been shoved down my throat since November. It's probably best for us to just leave this one alone from here on out. You have your opinions, albeit unfounded, and I have mine. I was more than happy to discuss this when it was relevant but you wouldn't play ball. Now, it doesn't really matter all that much.

QFT!!!! As I have said countless times, Slash believes just him saying it is all the proof required to "prove" Romney a liberal.

Slash's type of candidate even if ever elected will never get a single wothwhile piece of legislation passed or make any change that will put this country in a better direction.

FWIW I agree with the first half of your post. That's the reason I made this thread; so people would quit thread-jacking unrelated threads with it.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

*Your* own arrogant, self righteous and condescending post led to *your* own embarrassment.

Start using *your* brain and not your forked tongue *paulbot*.

(No offense to mentally stable libertarians - we are kindred spirits)

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Your *own* arrogant, self righteous and condescending post led to *your* own embarrassment.

Start using your brain and not your forked tongue paulbot.
    Best post on this thread by far!

Best post on this thread by far!
    Thanks, except I meant barbed.

I guess I need to use my brain more too.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    *Your* own arrogant, self righteous and condescending post led to *your* own embarrassment.

Start using *your* brain and not your forked tongue *paulbot*.

(No offense to mentally stable libertarians - we are kindred spirits)
    And this is precisely why this thread exists. You can ball your fists, stamp your feet, and get all red in the face here without disrupting the rest of the forum.
    /you're welcome

FWIW I agree with the first half of your post. That's the reason I made this thread; so people would quit thread-jacking unrelated threads with it.
    Fair enough. But I think you knew exactly what you were doing when you made the "fiscal hawks" remark. You're not dumb. That was flame baiting. I don't blame GB in the slightest for responding to it.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Fair enough. But I think you knew exactly what you were doing when you made the "fiscal hawks" remark. You're not dumb. That was flame baiting. I don't blame GB in the slightest for responding to it.
    This thread is nothing more than flame baiting meant to belittle anyone who supported Mitt Romney's candidacy.

I could easily post a thread in a similar vein about Ron Paul and his many failed campaigns and throw in some inflammatory personal slights against him ( racist) call him an extremist etc...

But I know many on this board like a lot of what Paul's about, and I do too truthfully. So why stoop to that level of flame baiting?

I probably shouldn't have used flame baiting. That might be a little harsh. But my point is, Slash isn't stupid. I'm sure he knew exactly what kind of response that remark was going to elicit and he posted it anyway. So it's a little hard for me to sit back and see him call other posters "selfish" for derailing a thread when I think they (myself included) had every right to respond. I really don't even care that said thread was taken off course. As long as interesting conversation is going on I could care less what the topic title is. I'm a lot looser in that sense than most people here, I think - in my mind, organic conversation flow is way more compelling than a discussion bound by a set of rules or restrictions. But where my issue is here, is that "fiscal hawks (real ones)" is absolutely a direct shot at Mitt Romney supporters. And to post that knowing what kind of buttons a statement like that is going to push, then to turnaround and start this thread basically blaming everyone else for throwing that topic off the rails, I don't buy it.

Like Hell it was. News flash: most Republicans don't give a crap about getting the budget in order. Fact of life. It's just like the Democrats complaining about undeclared wars and habeas corpus and Gitmo... except when a Democrat is in office; then they've got nuthin' to say.

Gather around and I'll tell you all a widely-known secret:
    All you folks who are bent out of shape over Romney not winning aren't actually conservatives. You're just partisan Republicans who are mad 'cuz your corrupt liberal hood ornament didn't get in instead of their corrupt liberal hood ornament. Ask your P.C. buddy all about it. He'll tell you all about how there's no good guys and you just have to play the game. I'll be happy to furnish quotes if you'd like.

- - - Updated - - -

And no. I had absolutely no idea that that particular remark would make people all mad-faced. I wasn't even thinking about Romney when I posted it. I was thinking about Boehner.
    But in all honesty, you folks wouldn't have taken it that way if you weren't thinking that way yourselves...

Like Hell it was. News flash: most Republicans don't give a crap about getting the budget in order. Fact of life. It's just like the Democrats complaining about undeclared wars and habeas corpus and Gitmo... except when a Democrat is in office; then they've got nuthin' to say.

Gather around and I'll tell you all a widely-known secret:
    All you folks who are bent out of shape over Romney not winning aren't actually conservatives. You're just partisan Republicans who are mad 'cuz your corrupt liberal hood ornament didn't get in instead of their corrupt liberal hood ornament. Ask your P.C. buddy all about it. He'll tell you all about how there's no good guys and you just have to play the game. I'll be happy to furnish quotes if you'd like.
    Annnnnd we're back at square one.

I tried. Really. But for someone who claims to be "rational and depassionate" when posting here, you sure do get worked up just about more than anyone else around.

I just told you. I don't want to talk about an election that is set for print in the history books. So why you continue to try and take the conversation there totally ignoring anything I've said is beyond me. I don't have the patience for it. No hard feelings here, really. But I'm going to remove myself from the core of this conversation.