Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Armed Revolution? 29% of Americans Say Yes

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

Armed Revolution? 29% of Americans Say Yes

According to Fairleigh Dickinson University, 29% of Americans say an armed revolution could be necessary within the next few years in order to protect civil liberties. 44% of Republicans, 18% of Democrats and 27% of Independants believe this.

The same study says 25% of Americans believe details about the Sandy Hook Elementary shootings are being hidden by the government.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/05/44-of-rep..._orig=politics

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/brea...t_be_comi.html

http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2..._think_ar.html
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Re: Armed Revolution? 29% of Americans Say Yes

Can you give me an example or scenario of HOW an "armed revolution" would actually be pulled off?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Can you give me an example or scenario of HOW an "armed revolution" would actually be pulled off?
    Not really. From my experience any sort of real movement would be easily squashed before it ever gets off the ground. I think people have this image in their heads of a revolution being similar to the American revolution they all read about in grade school. But this isn't 1775. We aren't just going to George Washington the motherfuckers and take out the entire US Government with muskets hiding behind the walls of Fort Ligonier. The only thing I could see giving any kind of rebellion even a glimmer of hope is internet/computer networking logistics + guerilla warfare. But if those couldn't be optimized for whatever reason, it's just not going to happen. And even if any sort of organization did manage to gain considerable traction it would be the biggest, most drawn out bloodbath ever seen with many civilian deaths. Bombings like the one we just saw in Mass. would be taking place all over in the name of the revolution as that is really the only way I could see rebels conducting successful strikes. A lot would hinge on which way military branches decided to go. But assuming the Government would retain most assets air support would just eliminate any sort of effort by rebel foot soldiers. There are a lot of variables but ultimately it would be ridiculously hard to get any sort of war movement going "in the next few years" if you ask me. Even if the uprising was backed by big business and private funding I just don't see how a force worthy of a revolution could be pulled. I don't think you could raise enough people for a war fought on principle with loss being imminent. Forget about a successful campaign.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

It seems to me that a significant percentage (though not a majority) of our population see and understand what is happening but there is possibly nothing that can be done about it except for the system to fail and reset.

Didn't the communist party candidate only get a small percentage of the popular vote in the soviet union?

I would imagine they have actually been through this and see where we are and where we are going...

It seems to me that a significant percentage (though not a majority) of our population see and understand what is happening but there is possibly nothing that can be done about it except for the system to fail and reset.

Didn't the communist party candidate only get a small percentage of the popular vote in the soviet union?

I would imagine they have actually been through this and see where we are and where we are going...
    That's probably accurate. For the record I'm not saying I would never support a movement if I felt it was absolutely necessary. It's our responsibility as US citizens to at least try and protect this country even if it seems hopeless. But yeah, it's starting to seem hopeless. And to your point in the modern world I'm not sure there is much we can do (with any measure of success) besides just sitting back and watching.

If things keep going the way they are going I think the best case scenario would be a peaceful seperation of states. I could literally see a USA (R) and USA (D) - basically two seperate countries or "districts" if you will - in maybe fifty years. This country is becoming more divided than it was during the civil war. I don't think it's totally out of the question to think a mass exodus of red states could take place by peaceful succession if enough conservative types get fed up enough to support that type of action. But what do I know. Maybe I'm being extremely naive in thinking that could happen without bloodshed. I guess history would suggest so.

That actually makes sense to me....but I guess the question is, do the individual states currently have the power to secede and if so I wonder what would be involved procedurally....Also, I can't help but wonder if it is possible to secede if the government could make it impossible to in the future.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I have a very strong feeling that at least half of our military would side with the Constitution(rebels is such a derogatory term) while the other half would just follow orders. But if we had half of the military behind a revolution, it would probably be successful. Obviously at a huge loss in life, although you could make an argument that in the grand scheme of things it would be worth it. The government would probably back down once word spread across the world, which could be difficult because you better believe they should shut down phone service, electricity, and internet almost immediately.

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

Absolutely.

The main thing the government has to squash a rebellion is what? The military.

If the government goes bankrupt, they can't pay the military. Do military people stay in "for free" or elect to do their own thing?

If enough people wanted to revolt, they simply stop paying taxes. If 30% stopped paying taxes, how much of a financial hit would that make for the government? Throw them in jail? That is a double whammy b/c they not only don't contribute via taxes, they now need to be supported in prison.

(Take away the government's ability to pay for the military = little to no military) + a large number of armed citizens = rebellion.

Once a rebellion were to start, there are TONS of people with no families that would jump on the train. It is not something that would happen overnight, but it is DEFINITELY possible.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I have a very strong feeling that at least half of our military would side with the Constitution(rebels is such a derogatory term) while the other half would just follow orders. But if we had half of the military behind a revolution, it would probably be successful. Obviously at a huge loss in life, although you could make an argument that in the grand scheme of things it would be worth it. The government would probably back down once word spread across the world, which could be difficult because you better believe they should shut down phone service, electricity, and internet almost immediately.
    I want to believe that, but I tend to think soldiers are going to follow their branch. Marines will follow Navy leadership, Army will follow Army leadership, etc... So if the Army is ordered to protect the standing government my guess is most of them would. Meaning if the Navy or Air Force supported the rebellion, Army would be fighting them. That's a scenario I can envision anyway.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Need to figure the Generals in there too. Some of them would support the Constitution and possibly take the men they command with them, so there might be some splits in whichever branch.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think the military would somewhat split, and there will be a lot of internecine warefare, maybe even on the bases themselves, until it played out.

If something like that ever happened, I think it'd start with Texas. Why? Because they're the only state that has the right to split from the country without triggering a war. So I think they would vote to separate. Then a number of other states would quickly vote to join them. The problem is, they can't do that, as there is no constitutional way for another state to withdraw from the union. That would trigger an invasion due to rebellion. That invasion would be met with opposition from the reserve units in each of the states. They're loyalty is the to the state, not to the federal government per se.

Also, at that point I think you will end up having the split in the military I talked about earlier. Especially if the reason for the separation in the first place was something a number of people in the military deemed an unconstitutional action by the U.S. government. When it all settled out, you'd probably have three nations. The coastline from LA to Seattle and inwards about 50-150 miles as one nation. From that part on through to Illinois and the Southern half of Indiana, Ohio, and down into the south would be the largest part land wise. The third nation would be New England and the Northern states (upper Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, parts of Wisconsin.

I think Virgina would get sliced in half again, as would North Carolina. At least, that's a scenario where I see it happening, and the results. However, I seriously doubt that Texas would pull out of the union.

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

In case of an armed revolution who, exactly, would be the enemy ? What would each side look like ?

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

One side would have guns the other wouldn't because their banned.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Armed revolution huh? They do realize if they were looking to overthrow the government they would have to go through our military and i doubt 29% of the people armed with handguns and rifles are going to defeat our military. They are going to what just start killing off people and takeover the country and then what?

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    Armed revolution huh? They do realize if they were looking to overthrow the government they would have to go through our military and i doubt 29% of the people armed with handguns and rifles are going to defeat our military. They are going to what just start killing off people and takeover the country and then what?
    If the US government was overthrown, the Chinese, Russians, etc... would be over here so fast to "finish off" an already weekend and unorganized US it would make your head spin.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
    If the US government was overthrown, the Chinese, Russians, etc... would be over here so fast to "finish off" an already weekend and unorganized US it would make your head spin.
    Lets face it if our military could be defeated so easily, china and russia would have already taken us over.

In case of an armed revolution who, exactly, would be the enemy ? What would each side look like ?
    I imagine it would be party based which would be insane. It wouldn't be simply the North vs. South as it was in 1861. I like what Preacher speculated on as far as geography when all was said and done. But initially the "enemy" would be conservatives or liberals depending on who you side with, I imagine, since the two ideologies are growing so far apart. Unless government supression became so bad even the Democrats conceded we need a smaller government. At that point I guess it would be civilians/select military vs. government types/select military which would be highly confusing. OGA/politicians vs. civilians basically.

It'd help up the general flow of conversation in the thread if you read the other posts before posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven
    The only thing I could see giving any kind of rebellion even a glimmer of hope is internet/computer networking logistics + guerilla warfare. But if those couldn't be optimized for whatever reason, it's just not going to happen. And even if any sort of organization did manage to gain considerable traction it would be the biggest, most drawn out bloodbath ever seen with many civilian deaths. Bombings like the one we just saw in Mass. would be taking place all over in the name of the revolution as that is really the only way I could see rebels conducting successful strikes. A lot would hinge on which way military branches decided to go. But assuming the Government would retain most assets air support would just eliminate any sort of effort by rebel foot soldiers. There are a lot of variables but ultimately it would be ridiculously hard to get any sort of war movement going "in the next few years" if you ask me. Even if the uprising was backed by big business and private funding I just don't see how a force worthy of a revolution could be pulled. I don't think you could raise enough people for a war fought on principle with loss being imminent. Forget about a successful campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman
    I have a very strong feeling that at least half of our military would side with the Constitution(rebels is such a derogatory term) while the other half would just follow orders. But if we had half of the military behind a revolution, it would probably be successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by BnG Heaven
    Absolutely.

The main thing the government has to squash a rebellion is what? The military.

If the government goes bankrupt, they can't pay the military. Do military people stay in "for free" or elect to do their own thing?

If enough people wanted to revolt, they simply stop paying taxes. If 30% stopped paying taxes, how much of a financial hit would that make for the government? Throw them in jail? That is a double whammy b/c they not only don't contribute via taxes, they now need to be supported in prison.

(Take away the government's ability to pay for the military = little to no military) + a large number of armed citizens = rebellion.

Once a rebellion were to start, there are TONS of people with no families that would jump on the train. It is not something that would happen overnight, but it is DEFINITELY possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach1
    Need to figure the Generals in there too. Some of them would support the Constitution and possibly take the men they command with them, so there might be some splits in whichever branch.
    I think the military would somewhat split, and there will be a lot of internecine warefare, maybe even on the bases themselves, until it played out.

If something like that ever happened, I think it'd start with Texas. Why? Because they're the only state that has the right to split from the country without triggering a war. So I think they would vote to separate. Then a number of other states would quickly vote to join them. The problem is, they can't do that, as there is no constitutional way for another state to withdraw from the union. That would trigger an invasion due to rebellion. That invasion would be met with opposition from the reserve units in each of the states. They're loyalty is the to the state, not to the federal government per se.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher
    Also, at that point I think you will end up having the split in the military I talked about earlier. Especially if the reason for the separation in the first place was something a number of people in the military deemed an unconstitutional action by the U.S. government.
    Kind of makes your point moot, I think.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

You mean the 0.4% of Americans currently serving in the armed forces? Or the 0.2% that would be active duty and didn't side with the rebels? Or the 0.05% that would be active duty, didn't side with the rebels, and would be in combat MoSs?
    They'd get their asses handed to them IMO.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    You mean the 0.4% of Americans currently serving in the armed forces? Or the 0.2% that would be active duty and didn't side with the rebels? Or the 0.05% that would be active duty, didn't side with the rebels, and would be in combat MoSs?
    Or the 99% of the .2% who don't want to fight at all.

The military is the force that keeps the government strong against rebellions and such. BUT, the military itself is made up of "people", people who would not blindly kill other Americans when they "know" the source is that the government goes against what this country was built upon.

I don't think it's all that unrealistic, if enough people start stirring the proverbial pot.

As for Texas seceding, they would need to support themselves. Exports / Imports, military etc. Can they do that?
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

I'm not sure, but I think at least one of the sides would look like this.

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Its not just a matter of the numbers they have jets bombs missles tanks firepower that an armed revolution would never stand up too, also you are assuming that the other 71% who dont want an armed revolution would just sit back and watch their country overrun.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    It'd help up the general flow of conversation in the thread if you read the other posts before posted.

Kind of makes your point moot, I think.

What flow of conversation i responded to the title of the thread when i want to engage in a conversation with someone i will respond specifically to their quote, thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    Or the 99% of the .2% who don't want to fight at all.

The military is the force that keeps the government strong against rebellions and such. BUT, the military itself is made up of "people", people who would not blindly kill other Americans when they "know" the source is that the government goes against what this country was built upon.

I don't think it's all that unrealistic, if enough people start stirring the proverbial pot.

As for Texas seceding, they would need to support themselves. Exports / Imports, military etc. Can they do that?
    Isnt it americans killing americans either way? I mean basically its a group of people who would just scrap the voting process and take over the country by force.

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    It's my understanding that they could. Given many bumps in the road undoubtedly, but I think that state could ultimately be self sufficient. Or at least, as self sufficient as other nations are in this world economy.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Its not just a matter of the numbers they have jets bombs missles tanks firepower that an armed revolution would never stand up too, also you are assuming that the other 71% who dont want an armed revolution would just sit back and watch their country overrun.
    Real quick: When was the last time our military was successful against an armed insurrection with all of their " jets bombs missles tanks firepower" anywhere else on the globe? Vietnam? Sarajevo? Somalia? Afghanistan? Iraq?
    All the firepower in the world is useless against an entrenched guerilla opposition when the populace is on their side. And were our government to start dropping bombs on Schenectady, their approval rating would go down in a god-awful hurry.

This is not to say that I think this scenario is likely or even advisable, but if it were to happen, our Federal government would lose.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Isnt it americans killing americans either way? I mean basically its a group of people who would just scrap the voting process and take over the country by force.
    This isn't the point you made when I responded. That point was irrational and completely unsupportable by history. This is a completely *different* point. 100% factually accurate, but irrelevant. Yes, it would be "Americans killing Americans". Yes, it would be " a group of people who would just scrap the voting process and take over the country by force". So what? That wouldn't keep it from happening or help the Federal government win.

Dwinsgames

I mean basically its a group of people who would just scrap the voting process and take over the country by force.
    same can be said for a president that back doors legislation that FAILS to get approval via normal channels such as passing the house and Senate , he does not get his way he throws a temper tantrum and uses executive orders to do what our representation votes against , the representatives that we elect to be our voice mind you ....

but I suspect that is all fine and dandy by you ( I have grown used to that from you and will be on my way after this post )

This isn't the point you made when I responded. That point was irrational and completely unsupportable by history. This is a completely *different* point. 100% factually accurate, but irrelevant. Yes, it would be "Americans killing Americans". Yes, it would be " a group of people who would just scrap the voting process and take over the country by force". So what? That wouldn't keep it from happening or help the Federal government win.
    That comment wasnt directed at you, It was directed to the other poster because he said americans would not just blindly kill other americans in reference to our military fighting back. My post to him was saying americans taking the country by force is still americans killing americans.

Real quick: When was the last time our military was successful against an armed insurrection with all of their " jets bombs missles tanks firepower" anywhere else on the globe? Vietnam? Sarajevo? Somalia? Afghanistan? Iraq?
    All the firepower in the world is useless against an entrenched guerilla opposition when the populace is on their side. And were our government to start dropping bombs on Schenectady, their approval rating would go down in a god-awful hurry.

This is not to say that I think this scenario is likely or even advisable, but if it were to happen, our Federal government would lose.
    In those cases we were invading another country and with the exception of vietnam i wouldnt say our military was defeated. But if someone ,anyone, tried to overthrow our government you better believe our military would unleash hell on them, not to mention your talking about an armed mob who would have to attack government facilities and heavily armed military bases. Not to mention I dont think most people in this country would take to kindly to any group trying to overthrow our system of democracy.