Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miami WR Mike Wallace doesn't understand homosexuality, he tweets

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Miami WR Mike Wallace doesn't understand homosexuality, he tweets

When NBA center Jason Collins became the first male athlete still active in a major professional sport to come out as gay, many fellow sports figures immediately offered their support on Twitter.

Miami Dolphins $60-million receiver Mike Wallace was not one of them. Instead, about an hour or so after Collins' revelation on Monday, he tweeted a comment basically expressing general confusion over the concept of homosexuality.

He did not mention Collins by name but said that he was shaking his head that "guys wanna mess with guys" even though there are "all these beautiful women in the world."

Read more: http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,6101550.story

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Re: Miami WR Mike Wallace doesn't understand homosexuality, he tweets

I gotta agree.

Never understood guys digging each others twigs and berries.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

I don't see how this is a story.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    I don't see how this is a story.
    In this PC-run-amok society? And in the Los Angeles Times to boot?

It SHOULDN'T be a story, but it most assuredly will be completely blown out of proportion and made into one. Scratch that, it already has been. Anyway, if you're a public figure, you damn well better either publicly embrace homosexuality or keep your mouth shut about it. Wallace should know that by now.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Personally, I'm happy for Collins for coming out. Good for him to be able to come out and still play. Even I'm not gay and have a wonderful girlfriend, I have no problem with professional athletes who are gay.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Glad Wallace isn't a Steeler all the same.

As far as the story this derives from. Really how brave does a 34 year old free agent that virtually no one's heard of have to be to come out? They're making out like this guy deserves huge credit for coming out. 5 years ago when he was 29 that would have been true. But now. Really? If I was his agent I'd be high fiving everyone in sight. Oprah, book deal, movie of the week! No one probably would have signed him for next season, now David Stern is sure to twist someone's arm to add him to the roster. Mark Cuban will probably sign him to room with Brittney Grenier.

Sorry, but call me unimpressed.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Glad Wallace isn't a Steeler all the same.

As far as the story this derives from. Really how brave does a 34 year old free agent that virtually no one's heard of have to be to come out? There making out like this guy deserves huge credit for coming out. 5 years ago when he was 29 that would have been true. But now. Really? If I was his agent I'd be high fiving everyone in sight. Oprah, book deal, movie of the week! No one probably would have signed him for next season, now David Stern is sure to twist someone's arm to add him to the roster.

Sorry, but call me unimpressed.
    I had basically the same thoughts. He has a chance at being at psuedo-Jackie Robinson type now instead of just a guy who has a couple years left in the NBA. Good for him all the same, but this isn't as I'd Manti Te'o had announced it or anything IMO.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Senior Member Array title="GodfatherofSoul is a jewel in the rough"> GodfatherofSoul's Avatar

To paraphrase Andrew Dice Clay, "how can you look at another guy's hairy ass and say 'oh yeah, gotta get me some of that!'?"

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Draft is over, back to the dog days of the off season.

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Don't understand ? Men are from Mars. Women are from Venus. Gay people are from... (do they need a planet too ?)

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
    Don't understand ? Men are from Mars. Women are from Venus. Gay people are from... (do they need a planet too ?)
    Uranus

Banned Array title="Spike is just really nice">

Dolphins jumped on that one quick.....ha ha

have fun

OFFICIAL MIAMI DOLPHINS MEDIA RELATIONS

Wallace’s Tweet

“Mike Wallace has apologized for his comments, and we have addressed the matter with him. Mike’s comments do not reflect the views of the Miami Dolphins. We believe in a culture of inclusiveness and respect, and any statements to the contrary are in no way acceptable to our organization. We will address the entire team about our policy of inclusion and make sure they all understand the importance of respecting individual choices.”

http://dolphinsmedia.tumblr.com/post...wallaces-tweet

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Must suck to have to publicly apologize for someone you just handed almost $60 million to...

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Its about attraction mike its not really a choice, thats like saying you dont understand why all women arent gay because men are so unattractive.

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    Its about attraction mike its not really a choice
    Thank you for being so honest Dawg...you will still always be "one of the guys" in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Thank you for being so honest Dawg...you will still always be "one of the guys" in my book.
    Not gay, but i have gay relatives so its a subject thats close to home.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I have gay relatives, too and I still don't get it. I don't see anything wrong about what he said........just because it's being shoved down our throats doesn't mean..........ehhh...never mind.

I think it's wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    I have gay relatives, too and I still don't get it. I don't see anything wrong about what he said........just because it's being shoved down our throats doesn't mean..........ehhh...never mind.

I think it's wonderful.
    Classic!

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

I don't see anything wrong with what Wallace said. He doesn't even object...he just doesn't get why a dude would be attracted to dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
    To paraphrase Andrew Dice Clay, "how can you look at another guy's hairy ass and say 'oh yeah, gotta get me some of that!'?"

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

The issue with what Wallace said is he should know better than to make public comments like that. Especially on the internet where things are never truly "deleted" or "erased." He is just proving that he's your stereotypical ignorant athlete that doesn't have a lick of common sense. When you're a public figure, you have to keep comments like that to yourself or your close family/friends. He's expected to be a leader on that team with the huge contract they handed him just a few short weeks ago, but if you're in that locker room and you're a homosexual, it's got to be difficult to take him seriously after that.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Nice backpack, where you on vacation?

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I'm female and I don't even want to see that junk....

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

A lot of guys don't understand that, Mike just gets attention because he is famous

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Too bad Mike didn't read the fine print in his contract where half of his base salary is tied up in a Key West timeshare.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

As far as being "intolerant" this is really pretty tame, but seriously, Mike, exactly what good do you think was going to come out of that? The people who agree with you, you said nothing particularly new or interesting to, and the people who don't agree with you are going to have a field day with it. Plus you don't even know the guy or play the same sport, so people are going to be like, how is this even relevant to you?

Really just another example of Twitter being the dumbest thing that was ever invented for pro athletes.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Holy shat ! I just sneezed, threw up, and farted at the same time ! But at the same time I also respect the individuals that got a hard on.

Holy shat ! I just sneezed, threw up, and farted at the same time ! But at the same time I also respect the individuals that got a hard on.

Holy Shat THAT was funny.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

What if you already had one, what does that count as?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    What if you already had one, what does that count as?
    Too much information.