Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Changes In 2013 A Good Thing: Don’t Bet On A 6-10 Season

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Steelers Changes In 2013 A Good Thing: Don’t Bet On A 6-10 Season

Across the world for many Pittsburgh Steelers fans, the sky is falling, and optimism for the 2013 season has all but dissipated and has been replaced by a pessimism that is forecasting a 6-10 season or worse. While the first week of free agency has not provided many reasons to celebrate with the departure of many big name starters, the approach of the organization should not come as a surprise, as it has always been the standard.

And for the last ten plus years, it has been effective............

read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/03...a-6-10-season/

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Re: Steelers Changes In 2013 A Good Thing: Don’t Bet On A 6-10 Season

Insert fair-weather fans "How about 5-11?" statement.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

You kiddin'? This team will be lucky to win 4 games!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Some will even say "First overall draft pick"

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Some will even say "First overall draft pick"
    It was a joke!

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Don't see too many people around here predicting 6-10 and 5-11 seasons. There have been a LOT of people predicting that they take a step back this season due to the losses, and I don't see what is wrong with that.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

SO FAR, there are NOT a lot of promising signs for 2013. The draft will be the key to the shift in optimism, but even that can be unwarranted because we don't know how the rookies will perform or whether they stay healthy.

I would say comparing the 2013 Steelers to the 2012 Steelers, we have more holes to fill right now. Last years team, without injuries, were probably a 12-4, 11-5 team. This year, despite the changes in the other teams in our division, the 2013 Steelers would impress the hell out of me if they finish 10-6. That is my sentiment on this day, and it is subject to change.

And despite what we are going through this off season, there is NO franchise in SPORTS, that I would rather be a fan of. I have followed the Steelers since 72 and I will remain a Steeler's fan until this corpse has breathed it's last breath. HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Don't see too many people around here predicting 6-10 and 5-11 seasons. There have been a LOT of people predicting that they take a step back this season due to the losses, and I don't see what is wrong with that.
    I predict they'll take a step foward if they get anything close to a healthy 16 from Ben.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

True, but a step back from 8-8 is what, exactly? Personally, I think we stay about the same as last year, I'd imagine the first couple games will be interesting, then it'll look pretty back for about a month, month and a half before the team starts to hit a rhythm. I could see everything from 6-10 (with a number of our wins coming in the second half of the season once things settle down), to 9-7. If Manny comes back and our lines stays healthy, we may even make 11-5. I know that's a broad window, but I think it's realist to expect anything in that group. We're not going to go 5-11, and we're not going to win 12 or more games I think.

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I predict they'll take a step foward if they get anything close to a healthy 16 from Ben.
    This.

Ben wasn't the same player after injury, and if he avoids injury altogether, we'll win more games. Hell, we'll probably have a legitimit shot at going into February.

Senior Member Array title="Pristas has a spectacular aura about"> Pristas's Avatar

Something to think about when considering what our record will look like in 2013... We may not have a healthy Heath Miller. He is getting up there in age and that was a serious injury. And One other forgotten injury concern is the Shawn Spence project. That guy was getting some buzz in camp last year until he Destroyed his leg. Damn shame too. Last I heard is that he still has nerve damage, so his return is questionable at best. Baron Batch hasn't panned out. Leftwich will be gone. Charlie Batch will barely make the team as a backup backup QB. Really, as Zu said, everything this season rides on the health of Big Ben. Everything.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

We could be headed into a season with the best O line since XL. Add a healthy Ben a draft RB , a coaching staff forced to finally play Cotchery and Burress. We could get into some serious shoot outs, if the D finds their stride we could win 11 games. On the other side of the coin we could easily end up 8-8 again watching the Bengals win the division .

What's obvious is that this is a young team that NEEDS some coaching.
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    True, but a step back from 8-8 is what, exactly? Personally, I think we stay about the same as last year, I'd imagine the first couple games will be interesting, then it'll look pretty back for about a month, month and a half before the team starts to hit a rhythm. I could see everything from 6-10 (with a number of our wins coming in the second half of the season once things settle down), to 9-7. If Manny comes back and our lines stays healthy, we may even make 11-5. I know that's a broad window, but I think it's realist to expect anything in that group. We're not going to go 5-11, and we're not going to win 12 or more games I think.
    I completely agree with this and with Zu's comment about Ben being healthy.

The one thing that may help more than anything is the purging of problem players with bad attitudes.

That hurt us as much as anything else last season imo.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    We could be headed into a season with the best O line since XL. Add a healthy Ben a draft RB , a coaching staff forced to finally play Cotchery and Burress. We could get into some serious shoot outs, if the D finds their stride we could win 11 games. On the other side of the coin we could easily end up 8-8 again watching the Bengals win the division .

What's obvious is that this is a young team that NEEDS some coaching.
    The running game was working fine until the injury bug decimated the offense. Don't get me wrong I hope they add another quality back. But Redman and Dwyer are capable if the rest of the offense is functioning at a high level.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It only took 7 weeks for a back to get more than 85 yards...I wouldn't say that the run game was working that well. It was actually quite bad as a team. Over the 100 yard mark as a team once in 8 weeks (7 games.). There was a streak over 3-4 games were it was decent but far, far from "working fine."

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I think we'll take a step back while getting roughly the same result, maybe even win a couple games more, if that makes any sense. Last year, injuries destroyed this team so completely that it probably had about the same effect as losing all the guys we did in the offseason. We way undershot our potential because of that. This year, I'd put my sights a little lower - we should still be at least somewhat competitive, but I'd be surprised if we went 14-2 and challenged for a Super Bowl or anything.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    It only took 7 weeks for a back to get more than 85 yards...I wouldn't say that the run game was working that well. It was actually quite bad as a team. Over the 100 yard mark as a team once in 8 weeks (7 games.). There was a streak over 3-4 games were it was decent but far, far from "working fine."
    The streak extended over 5 games, (weeks 5-9, Steelers rushed for a combined 644 yards) and ended when the rash of offensive injuries derailed the offense as a whole in Kansas City.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Good point but who is to blame? These same running backs that averaged only 3.7 ypc in 2012 average 4.5 in 2011.

The streak extended over 5 games, (weeks 5-9, Steelers rushed for a combined 644 yards) and ended when the rash of offensive injuries derailed the offense as a whole in Kansas City.
    Hmm. I wonder where that would have put us for sixteen games. (Doing the math as I type this, it's an interesting state you bring up).

So, 644 yards for 5 games extrapolated to sixteen games equals 2060 yards. According to last years stats, that would have put us ninth in rushing yards. We were 14th in passing yards already, and I don't buy that adding rushing yards would have taken away from passing yards, because rushing yards may have lengthened drives. Add that to being first against the pass in yards, first against the pass in yards per attempt, sixth against the pass in percent completions, seventh against he pass in TD's allowed, Second against the rush, fourth against the rush in yards per attempt, sixth against the rush in TD's by rushing, and I think you have a very, VERY different season.

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Thank you. It's not like we haven't been 6-10 in the last decade. It happens. Considering our struggles with all the talent we lost, it's difficult to imaging us being better not knowing who's going to be filling those spots. If I think my team's going to struggle next year, I'm suddenly a "fair-weather fan?" Yea, okay.

Quote Originally Posted by NJarhead View Post
    Thank you. It's not like we haven't been 6-10 in the last decade. It happens. Considering our struggles with all the talent we lost, it's difficult to imaging us being better not knowing who's going to be filling those spots. If I think my team's going to struggle next year, I'm suddenly a "fair-weather fan?" Yea, okay.
    If you've convinced yourself they're in for a rough year or two, while I personally disagree, that's just a difference of opinion, and doesn't make you any better or worse of a fan than anyone else.

What makes a fair weather fan (imo) is one that suddenly questions the competence, and commitment to quality of product of those that have been making decisions for the Steelers for the past 5 ( Tomlin) to 12 (Colbert and Khan) years or longer. ( Rooney's)

If you can't respect the track record of this franchise and the people making the decsions then I'm not sure who you've been watching the past 20 years?

As they say "scoreboard".

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

If you've convinced yourself they're in for a rough year or two, while I personally disagree, that's just a difference of opinion, and doesn't make you any better or worse of a fan than anyone else.

What makes a fair weather fan (imo) is one that suddenly questions the competence, and commitment to quality of product of those that have been making decisions for the Steelers for the past 5 ( Tomlin) to 12 (Colbert and Khan) years or longer. ( Rooney's)

If you can't respect the track record of this franchise and the people making the decsions then I'm not sure who you've been watching the past 20 years?

You've never heard me saying anything about the organization or the track record, period.

I've blindly predicted 12-4 seasons in the past more than losing ones. In fact, I can't remember the last time I thought we'd do poorly. I want to say we're going to the playoffs and beyond in 2013, but track record (see three year cycle) would be the only thing I have to go on at this point.

I'll tell you what though, anyone who would even consider calling me a "fair-weather fan" or a "sky is falling" type can kiss my ass, because they have no idea who they're talking to or what they're talking about.

Questioning decisons = fair weather fan (iyo).

OK.

Dwinsgames

What makes a fair weather fan is one that suddenly questions the competence of those that have been making decisions for the Steelers for the past 5 ( Tomlin) to 12 (Colbert and Khan) years or longer. ( Rooney's)

I do not believe question anyone makes you fair weather fan either , after all when your team under performs and loses 4 games to teams that are horrible and loses the turnover battle in every one of them you SHOULD question somebody or you just are not paying close enough attention or do not care enough to make the effort ....

when someone or something becomes above reproach normally that is when things go horribly wrong ....

Fair weather fans are fans that like you when you are doing well and like someone else when you are not , it is just another name for bandwagon fans .....

I have not witnessed one person here say well that is it I am going to be a Broncos fan now or whatever ....

I will always question the powers that be when it is clear to me there is a problem and just as clear that little or nothing is being done to correct it .... if that makes me a " Fair weather fan " in your eyes then I will accept your tag and wear it proudly .....

This team has had a growing list of issues for a few years most of which have been pointed out over time , be it age , lack of talent or depth in key areas , discipline by some whether it be on or off the field or in conditioning or chest thumping and the hey look at me mentality that has crept into the building over the last few years .....

Pointing fingers rarely solves anything , pointing things out is the only way to make people take notice , and you have to take notice before you can take action to solve things ... some just see it before others even though they are watching the same things go on day after day week after week

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Questioning decisons = fair weather fan (iyo).

OK.
    Re read it, because that's not what I SAID AT ALL.

I do not believe question anyone makes you fair weather fan either , after all when your team under performs and loses 4 games to teams that are horrible and loses the turnover battle in every one of them you SHOULD question somebody or you just are not paying close enough attention or do not care enough to make the effort ....

when someone or something becomes above reproach normally that is when things go horribly wrong ....

Fair weather fans are fans that like you when you are doing well and like someone else when you are not , it is just another name for bandwagon fans .....

I have not witnessed one person here say well that is it I am going to be a Broncos fan now or whatever ....

I will always question the powers that be when it is clear to me there is a problem and just as clear that little or nothing is being done to correct it .... if that makes me a " Fair weather fan " in your eyes then I will accept your tag and wear it proudly .....

This team has had a growing list of issues for a few years most of which have been pointed out over time , be it age , lack of talent or depth in key areas , discipline by some whether it be on or off the field or in conditioning or chest thumping and the hey look at me mentality that has crept into the building over the last few years .....

Pointing fingers rarely solves anything , pointing things out is the only way to make people take notice , and you have to take notice before you can take action to solve things ... some just see it before others even though they are watching the same things go on day after day week after week
    Again there appears to be some comprehension issues going on around here.

Questioning individual decisions that have been made is fine.

But not giving people with a proven track record of success ( wins and losses is how NFL success should be measured, not March free agency signings and departures) any benifit of the doubt, to just assume they're wrong, when the offseason hasn't even played out yet, nor has the 2013 season come crashing down about us yet, well that just seems absurd to me.

So maybe "fairweather fan" isn't the right word. Perhaps a more apt way to say it is spoiled rotten fan that has no appreciation for what he's been given over the years, and who's been in place to do that giving.

Dwinsgames

Again there appears to be some comprehension issues going on around here.

Questioning individual decisions that have been made is fine.

But not giving people with a proven track record of success ( wins and losses is how NFL success should be measured, not March free agency signings and departures) any benifit of the doubt, to just assume they're wrong, when the offseason hasn't even played out yet, nor has the 2013 season come crashing down about us yet, well that just seems absurd to me.

So maybe "fairweather fan" isn't the right word. Perhaps a more apt way to say it is spoiled rotten fan that has no appreciation for what he's been given over the years, and who's been in place to do that giving.

I think the one key component here is this ....

The proven track record in which you speak of is because the team has been built and maintained primarily through the draft and a low budget sprinkling of FA guys who play a role on ST and spot duty in situational football ...

the problem is our draft classes have not been up to snuff as of late and those guys drafted the past have dozen years are for the most part long gone for one or more reasons ( mostly poor drafting ) so the reload value of this football team is at an all time low with veterans in the system laying in waiting for their time to shine .... that is a huge problem ...

someone is to blame for this , poor scouting evaluations ? ( there the hell is Bill Nunn ??? )
    Poor decision making by Colbert when rummaging through the scouting departments notes ?
    Poor player management by the coaching staff ?
    Poor developmental skills as a coaching staff ?
    Poor roster moves at cut down time ?
    **Poor decision making on draft day , leaving better talent on the board than what you take off in the middle to late rounds of the draft ** ( I believe this has a lot to do with it ) sure we hit on some but I almost always am pissed off from round 3 onward when I head names Like Essex called or Spaeth or Hills etc etc when I see 50 guys rated higher than them still sitting there ( many times 3 or 4 players of the same pos ) and not guys rating higher just on stats ... guys who pass the eye ball test while the ones selected fail that same test

if you are a team who builds and rebuilds through the draft and you are not rock solid with 4 picks a year at some point your team starts to fall apart at the seems and gets very long in the tooth .... this is where we stand ... long in the tooth for the most part in terms of the guys who are on the roster that possess real NFL talent ..sure we have a few young guys that are grade A but only a few ....

Fingers need pointing and people need questioned , and they need to be held accountable ....

I am not saying it is Colberts fault ( but it very well may be BECAUSE ) it is his scouting department , he hires and fires those guys and they are under his watch ...

but they either need to make better evaluations or he needs to listen more to what they are saying ... it is one or the other ...

Just sayin

I think the one key component here is this ....

The proven track record in which you speak of is because the team has been built and maintained primarily through the draft and a low budget sprinkling of FA guys who play a role on ST and spot duty in situational football ...

the problem is our draft classes have not been up to snuff as of late and those guys drafted the past have dozen years are for the most part long gone for one or more reasons ( mostly poor drafting ) so the reload value of this football team is at an all time low with veterans in the system laying in waiting for their time to shine .... that is a huge problem ...

someone is to blame for this , poor scouting evaluations ? ( there the hell is Bill Nunn ??? )
    Poor decision making by Colbert when rummaging through the scouting departments notes ?
    Poor player management by the coaching staff ?
    Poor developmental skills as a coaching staff ?
    Poor roster moves at cut down time ?
    **Poor decision making on draft day , leaving better talent on the board than what you take off in the middle to late rounds of the draft ** ( I believe this has a lot to do with it ) sure we hit on some but I almost always am pissed off from round 3 onward when I head names Like Essex called or Spaeth or Hills etc etc when I see 50 guys rated higher than them still sitting there ( many times 3 or 4 players of the same pos ) and not guys rating higher just on stats ... guys who pass the eye ball test while the ones selected fail that same test

if you are a team who builds and rebuilds through the draft and you are not rock solid with 4 picks a year at some point your team starts to fall apart at the seems and gets very long in the tooth .... this is where we stand ... long in the tooth for the most part in terms of the guys who are on the roster that possess real NFL talent ..sure we have a few young guys that are grade A but only a few ....

Fingers need pointing and people need questioned , and they need to be held accountable ....

I am not saying it is Colberts fault ( but it very well may be BECAUSE ) it is his scouting department , he hires and fires those guys and they are under his watch ...

but they either need to make better evaluations or he needs to listen more to what they are saying ... it is one or the other ...

Just sayin
    I got no real issue with what you're saying here.

But at the same token I don't believe things are nearly as bad as you sem to think they are.

I think there's a strong possibility that you'll have a Ziggy Hood or Cameron Heyward have a breakout season, and thus the loss of Harrison will be lessened.

I think Cortez Allen will prove to be a significant upgrade to Keenan Lewis once he hits his full stride. Of course I still wish they would have kept Keenan over Ike.

I think the young offensive line will gell and give the Steelers the highest quality of play they've got from that unit since 2005.

I think the loss of Mendenhall was no loss, so his absense will be of no consequence. How many yards did he gain last year again? Not so hard to replace. I hope they sign Bradshaw, he could put that unit over the top.

Sanders may or may not go? I hope he stays of course. But regardless, Big Ben took a team to the Super Bowl with Ced Wilson as a starting receiver. With or without Sanders, we wont know the final make up of the unit until possibly the end of August. So I'll reserve judgement for now.
    I also expect a big rebound year from Antonio Brown in 2013.

My biggest fear going into 2013 is how many games ( if any) will Heath miss? And when he comes back will he be the same player?

Anyway bottom line I think there's still a lot to like about the 2013 Steelers, and in the end it will come down to keeping Ben healthy for the majority of the season and especially the home stretch.

But at the same token I don't believe things are nearly as bad as you sem to think they are.

I think there's a strong possibility that you'll have a Ziggy Hood or Cameron Heyward have a breakout season, and thus the loss of Harrison will be lessened.

I think Cortez Allen will prove to be a significant upgrade to Keenan Lewis once he hits his full stride. Of course I still wish they would have kept Keenan over Ike.

I think the young offensive line will gell and give the Steelers the highest quality of play they've got from that unit since 2005.

I think the loss of Mendenhall was no loss, so his absense will be on no consequence. How many yards did he gain last year again? Not so hard to replace. I hope they sign Bradshaw, he could put that unit over the top.

Sanders may or may not go? I hope he stays of course. But regardless, Big Ben took a team to the Super Bowl with Ced Wilson as a starting receiver. With or without Sanders, we wont know the final make up of the unit until possibly the end of August. So I'll reserve judgement for now.

My biggest fear going into 2013 is how many games ( if any) will Heath miss? And when he comes back will he be the same player?

Anyway bottom line I think there's still a lot to like about the 2013 Steelers, and in the end it will come down to keeping Ben healthy for the majority of the season and especially the home stretch.

But based on what?

I agree about the O-Line, but that's clearly been a work in progress, with progress being made.

I have zero idea about what to expect from our running game.

Who is Woodley? Is he the guy who dominated in 2008 or is he the injury prone, out of shape non-factor we saw last year?

Would you call Worilds an upgrade over Harrison or a downgrade? I'd be inclined to state the latter.

We know little-to-nothing about Cortez Allen.

These are the things I'm considering when I anticipate an off-year for us.

Dwinsgames

I think the loss of Mendenhall was no loss, so his absense will be of no consequence. How many yards did he gain last year again? Not so hard to replace. I hope they sign Bradshaw, he could put that unit over the top.

trust me I am not " doom and gloom" ing this to death ... but I feel there are a lot of unanswered question and I see a steady downgrade in talent team wide over the past 3-4 years or so ....

Cortez Allen IMO is an upgrade so no issue there at all ( wanted him as the starter in 2012 and am on record on the old board saying that ) feel free to have a look

but where is our young backups at S ?
    same at ILB ?
    same at OLB ?
    same at QB ?
    same at WR ?
    same RB ?
    hell where is the starting RB ?

we are slowly but surely becoming devoid of talent , we NEED a super solid draft where 6 or 7 guys not only make the team but make a contribution to the team those sort of drafts do not come along very often in todays NFL with 32 teams looking for players and the internet and cable TV making it possible to see every game every week and you do not physically have to attend to see the kids play like you did for the most part back in the day ... every team has the capability ...

we need a bigger and more talented scouting department ...

it makes it tough to sit and watch your favorite team draft guys you yourself as a fan knows beyond a shadow of a doubt does not have the skills needed to play at the NFL level get drafted in the 3rd and 4th round while guys who could start for that same team are left on the board ... and it happens almost every year ( I still hear the words echo in my head Matt Spaeth can stretch the field .... ) when Scott Chandler , Brent Celek and Kevin Boss where still on the board ......