Thread: Will new fed guidelines force companies to hire more employees with criminal pasts?

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Will new fed guidelines force companies to hire more employees with criminal pasts?

Employers could be pressured to hire more workers with a criminal background under recent guidelines issued by the federal government.

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s guidelines warn businesses about rejecting minority applicants who have committed a crime and recommend they eliminate policies that “exclude people from employment based on a criminal record.”
    The EEOC says civil rights laws already prohibit different treatment for job applicants who are of a different ethnic background but have identical criminal histories. The update was issued out of concern that employers might disproportionally exclude minorities from getting hired because more African Americans and Hispanics are getting arrested and going to prison, according to the guideline report.
    But businesses and even one EEOC commissioner strongly objected to the changes, saying they are confusing and go beyond the commission’s authority.
    “The only real impact the new guidance will have will be to scare business owners from ever conducting criminal background checks,” said Commissioner Constance Barker, who cast the lone nay vote and was one two George W. Bush appointees on the Democrat-controlled commission at the time. Agency commissioners approved the report in a 4-1 vote in April 2012.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2LmEHNIFD

- - - Updated - - -

Though ex-convicts seeking work are not protected under Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the EEOC guidelines suggest that rejecting applicants because of their criminal record is not enough.
    Instead, businesses must also prove the criminal history would exclude an applicant from a specific job or duties and consider such factors as how long ago the crime was committed.
    The guidance tells businesses “they are taking a tremendous risk” by running such checks, Barker added.
    The report also says federal law preempts state laws, including ones that would prohibit hiring ex-convict for some jobs, such as home health-care workers. So if companies reject a minority with a criminal history for the health-care job, for example, they now face a potential discrimination suit under Title VII.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2LmF01Y00
    Last edited by Count Steeler; 02-23-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Re: Will new fed guidelines force companies to hire more employees with criminal past

If the federal government is so worried about discriminatory impacts, they should stop the War on Drugs, which criminalizes one of the better economic opportunities in the inner cities and is notorious for disparate enforcement.

But that would mean less power and control, and statists gonna state.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Re: Will new fed guidelines force companies to hire more employees with criminal past

Make employers hire drug dealers? Well you know, because it's not their fault, they didn't really know it was wrong, and if they didn't sell to those 5th graders someone else would. Yeah, sounds like sound business practice to me.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Just another bit of evidence that government should not run businesses.

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

I always thought that if a person has done his or her time and is trying to be a model citizen, private employers should not hold their past's against them.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
    I always thought that if a person has done his or her time and is trying to be a model citizen, private employers should not hold their past's against them.
    That should be up to the private employers to decide. It should not be mandated by government regulations.

So you'd hire an embezzler to handle your money, or a pedophile to watch your kids?

Some jobs it may not matter, but for many if someone has proven to be untustworthy or unreliable then you shouldn't be forced to hire them.

Also, instead of mandating such nonsense, offer a program where companies get greater tax credits if they hire cons. That way the company will consider hiring cons, as it will be beneficial to them, however, it also leaves them the option not to hire the cons, and miss out on the tax break, if they so choose.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Uh, shouldn't they be trying to help the long-term unemployed who have actually kept their noses clean first?

Getting really sick of this government's fucked up priorities...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Typical liberals, trying to protect thugs and criminals

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    So you'd hire an embezzler to handle your money, or a pedophile to watch your kids?

Some jobs it may not matter, but for many if someone has proven to be untustworthy or unreliable then you shouldn't be forced to hire them.
    Yep. It would certainly depend on the job-offense combination. But also how long ago the offense happened, are they repeat offenders of a certain crime, etc...
    Harvard and other business schools are now stressing psychological evaluations over background checks. To try to predict future behavior over past behavior. An example: The Enron employees were not felons when they got their jobs for that company. Also, to get hired at the post office you must pass a background check, but the post office had a problem with their employees shooting the place up.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Um, this is a joke, right? I'm all for giving ex-cons a second chance, but it should in no way be forced upon any employer.

When will people FINALLY have enough of the fucking nanny-state this country is turning into?

I wonder how the federal government handles job applicants with criminal records?

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I wonder how the federal government handles job applicants with criminal records?
    There are people who work at the VA who are former murderers... the list goes on and on... lol. True story...

Dwinsgames

I wonder how many convicted murders would even get an interview with the Secret Service ?

yet they will expect a day care to consider them ?

I do not think so !!!!!!!!!!!

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Really? So when it's the law that I have to give background checks and they fail I should hire them anyways and put my business in jeopardy because it's none of my concern what they did in the past?

It's a felony if I hire someone with a criminal record.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Uh, shouldn't they be trying to help the long-term unemployed who have actually kept their noses clean first?

Getting really sick of this government's fucked up priorities...
    Exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Um, this is a joke, right? I'm all for giving ex-cons a second chance, but it should in no way be forced upon any employer.

When will people FINALLY have enough of the fucking nanny-state this country is turning into?
    When there is no turning back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Really? So when it's the law that I have to give background checks and they fail I should hire them anyways and put my business in jeopardy because it's none of my concern what they did in the past?

It's a felony if I hire someone with a criminal record.
    In other words, hiring felons is both mandatory and prohibited. Government at its finest.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

What about MY rights? Why don't I have a right to decide who represents my company and name the best? When something bad happens they have no liability, only me. I am the one getting sued out of a business so why don't I have the right to try and choose the best and stay away from the dead beats?

It used to be people had to live with the choices they make. Now everyone else has to live with them but them.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy III using Tapatalk 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Then hire as many as you want. That's your right but just because you and some others feel thay way it doesn't mean I have to.

Speaking from experience. Anytime I gave someone a chance they needed I regretted it. People don't change.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    Then hire as many as you want. That's your right but just because you and some others feel thay way it doesn't mean I have to.

Speaking from experience. Anytime I gave someone a chance they needed I regretted it. People don't change.

Not in my experience. I get just as much BS from non felons as felons. But then again I"m Jewish. We normally take care of each other, no matter what. You Christians usually cut-throat one another...

Dwinsgames

I only have a couple employees , if they try and mandate it for me a small business owner , I will just fire my staff and do the work myself , sure I will do less work and make less money , but I will also have less expenses and headaches and my income will not change that dramatically

I'll grant that there are some people who are truly reformed and deserve a second chance, but it's still perfectly reasonable for a business owner to not want to take the risk.

The biggest irony is I remember a few months ago when liberals were spewing moral outrage because a lot of the doctors employed by the state's penal system had criminal records. Kind of hypocritical since in every other case, they paid their debt to society and they're not bad people...if they really believed that, it would be a nonstory.

In this particular case (Louisiana) the criminal convictions weren't related to their current work. It was usually financial fraud which is unrelated to their ability as a physician. In others, it was prescription fraud, which their bosses can monitor and control. The worst offender was a doctor who molested female patients, and he was assigned to a men's prison. I don't have a problem with this because they served their sentences. They might even be better doctors for the populatin they serve because they're cons themselves, so they can relate better to the inmates.

I'll grant that there are some people who are truly reformed and deserve a second chance, but it's still perfectly reasonable for a business owner to not want to take the risk.

The biggest irony is I remember a few months ago when liberals were spewing moral outrage because a lot of the doctors employed by the state's penal system had criminal records. Kind of hypocritical since in every other case, they paid their debt to society and they're not bad people...if they really believed that, it would be a nonstory.

In this particular case (Louisiana) the criminal convictions weren't related to their current work. It was usually financial fraud which is unrelated to their ability as a physician. In others, it was prescription fraud, which their bosses can monitor and control. The worst offender was a doctor who molested female patients, and he was assigned to a men's prison. I don't have a problem with this because they served their sentences. They might even be better doctors for the populatin they serve because they're cons themselves, so they can relate better to the inmates.
    Correct. As I said in post #11 above, it also depends on the job-offense combination. Why hire a fox to guard the hen-house ? Makes no sense. If theirs some kind of mental issue or "impulse" at work (I'm all for psychological evaluations) that will be a factor when that person gets on the job, they may have an issue. But if a person has a charge on his record for "discharging a firearm in city limits", and he's applying for a job to put screws in a product on an assembly line, than an employer not hiring him for that reason might have some irrational fear of "anybody" with a felony... make no sense.

Correct. As I said in post #11 above, it also depends on the job-offense combination. Why hire a fox to guard the hen-house ? Makes no sense. If theirs some kind of mental issue or "impulse" at work (I'm all for psychological evaluations) that will be a factor when that person gets on the job, they may have an issue. But if a person has a charge on his record for "discharging a firearm in city limits", and he's applying for a job to put screws in a product on an assembly line, than an employer not hiring him for that reason might have some irrational fear of "anybody" with a felony... make no sense.
    The business owners have all the risk, so I think they should have the say as to who they may hire or not hire. If the government does not want to tax the business owners and contribute to the wages that will be paid, then they may have a say.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    The business owners have all the risk, so I think they should have the say as to who they may hire or not hire. If the government does not want to tax the business owners and contribute to the wages that will be paid, then they may have a say.
    In that case, should they (a business owner) have a say who they hire based off of race ? Since whites usually (according to many opinions) make a better employee than a minority ? How much power should a business owner have in on this issue ? Historically, in the United States, the person of European decent would get the job, even if the minority candidate was "clearly" more qualified. I think this facet of our nation is what these laws address.

Personally, I'd be willing to hire someone with a drug conviction (unless I owned a pharmacy or something). If it's a safety sensitive job they're subject to drug testing and I fire them if they screw up. If it's not a sensitive position I just care about their job performance.

Now, if it's something like embezzlement I won't even consider them.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

In that case, should they (a business owner) have a say who they hire based off of race ? Since whites usually (according to many opinions) make a better employee than a minority ? How much power should a business owner have in on this issue ? Historically, in the United States, the person of European decent would get the job, even if the minority candidate was "clearly" more qualified. I think this facet of our nation is what these laws address.
    Your comparing apples to oranges. Should a business owner have control over who they hire, hell yes. Based on race no. There are no laws preventing me from hiring you based on race. If your convicted with drugs, theft, forgery, sexual assault/rape, endangerment and so on I can't hire you it's illegal for me to do so.

Maybe someone did the time but they still have to deal with the consequences after the fact.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Your comparing apples to oranges. Should a business owner have control over who they hire, hell yes. Based on race no. There are no laws preventing me from hiring you based on race. If your convicted with drugs, theft, forgery, sexual assault/rape, endangerment and so on I can't hire you it's illegal for me to do so.

Maybe someone did the time but they still have to deal with the consequences after the fact.
    There are federal guidelines that prevent hiring based on race. In my opinion, a person should be hired based on if he/she can do the job "only". Even myself, and others that are Jewish, experience discrimination on a regular basis. These same rules will, and should, also apply when the minority population becomes the majority in this country.