Thread: Veterans Receive Letters From VA Prohibiting Ownership or Purchase of Firearms

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Veterans Receive Letters From VA Prohibiting Ownership or Purchase of Firearms

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013...e-of-firearms/

Written By Constitutional Attorney Michael Connelly, J.D.
    How would you feel if you received a letter from the U.S. Government informing you that because of a physical or mental condition that the government says you have it is proposing to rule that you are incompetent to handle your own financial affairs? Suppose that letter also stated that the government is going to appoint a stranger to handle your affairs for you at your expense? That would certainly be scary enough but it gets worse.
    What if that letter also stated: “A determination of incompetency will prohibit you from purchasing, possessing, receiving, or transporting a firearm or ammunition. If you knowingly violate any of these prohibitions, you may be fined, imprisoned, or both pursuant to the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, Pub.L.No. 103-159, as implemented at 18, United States Code 924(a)(2).”?
    That makes is sound like something right from a documentary on a tyrannical dictatorship somewhere in the world. Yet, as I write this I have a copy of such a letter right in front of me. It is being sent by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to hundreds, perhaps thousands, of America’s heroes. In my capacity as Executive Director of the United States Justice Foundation (USJF) I have been contacted by some of these veterans and the stories I am getting are appalling.
    The letter provides no specifics on the reasons for the proposed finding of incompetency; just that is based on a determination by someone in the VA. In every state in the United States no one can be declared incompetent to administer their own affairs without due process of law and that usually requires a judicial hearing with evidence being offered to prove to a judge that the person is indeed incompetent. This is a requirement of the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution that states that no person shall “… be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law…”.
    Obviously, the Department of Veterans Affairs can’t be bothered by such impediments as the Constitution, particularly since they are clearly pushing to fulfill one of Obama’s main goals, the disarming of the American people. Janet Napolitano has already warned law enforcement that some of the most dangerous among us are America’s heroes, our veterans, and now according to this letter from the VA they can be prohibited from buying or even possessing a firearm because of a physical or mental disability.
    Think about it, the men and women who have laid their lives on the line to defend us and our Constitution are now having their own Constitutional rights denied. There are no clear criteria for the VA to declare a veteran incompetent. It can be the loss of a limb in combat, a head injury, a diagnosis of PTSD, or even a soldier just telling someone at the VA that he or she is depressed over the loss of a buddy in combat. In none of these situations has the person been found to be a danger to themselves or others. If that was the case than all of the Americans who have suffered from PTSD following the loss of a loved one or from being in a car accident would also have to be disqualified from owning firearms. It would also mean that everyone who has ever been depressed for any reason should be disarmed. In fact, many of the veterans being deprived of their rights have no idea why it is happening.
    Be sure to read the actual letter at the bottom.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Re: Veterans Receive Letters From VA Prohibiting Ownership or Purchase of Firearms

This is gonna be a though one. But like the article said, what is the criteria their using to determine who's at risk of owning a gun and who cannot ? I can see denying a firearm due to "certain" mental issues, but that's about all. Will keep my eye on this particular issue. Thanks for posting.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Re: Veterans Receive Letters From VA Prohibiting Ownership or Purchase of Firearms

Obama scared shitless of vets. The less armed vets that know how to fight roaming around the streets when the shit does hit the fan the better.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just happy to be here!! Array title="Polamalu Princess has a reputation beyond repute"> Polamalu Princess's Avatar

I just cannot comprehend that we have come to this as a nation. It is very insulting to take away the guns from the men and women who used them to give us freedom from tyranny of this nature.

Angel Baby Faith our one and only 1/11/00 - 9/9/16 We love you.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I don't think this is being mailed to the majority of veterans. I'm a veteran, and know quite a few others, and no one I know has received such a notice as far as I know. I'll do some checking though.

So maybe this has been mailed to Veterans who have a history of physcolgical disorders or violent behaviour? If so I can see some validity to it. If a person has proven to be a ticking time bomb I really don't want them having access to guns.
    Last edited by zulater; 02-22-2013 at 12:15 PM.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Dwinsgames

I have issue with anyone making arbitrary decisions over a group of people they are not qualified to make said determination about ...

that being said , If said person or persons have not demonstrated mental reasons to justify such a determination and are not convicted felons they should file suit against the government for infringements of their constitutional rights being unjustly taken away .....

as a side note you can now be turned down / rejected the sale of ANY firearm in the state of Pa for lessor charges than a felony .... did not realize that until I bought my last couple guns

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

If a person is judged as not mentally able to responsibly own a firearm then that person needs to prove otherwise. They don't just throw darts at a board of names, if your name is there it's there for a reason. Maybe a commanding office, or even the NCO in charge, filed something against you and that "something" is the criteria used. Just like if you get "written up" at your job for stealing, do you think that a bank who has privy to that knowledge will hire you?

I'm all for it. People complain about "it's not the gun that kills, it's the psycho wielding the gun that kills" and on the other hand those same people B&C about person deemed "mentally unstable" being denied firearms.

What if enough people bitch about this "rule" or "law" and it gets retracted. Then, one of the people that had received the letter goes out and is now able to get a firearm so they do AND they use it to kill innocents?

I tell ya, the lawmakers are doomed if they do and doomed if they don't.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    If a person is judged as not mentally able to responsibly own a firearm then that person needs to prove otherwise. They don't just throw darts at a board of names, if your name is there it's there for a reason. Maybe a commanding office, or even the NCO in charge, filed something against you and that "something" is the criteria used. Just like if you get "written up" at your job for stealing, do you think that a bank who has privy to that knowledge will hire you?

I'm all for it. People complain about "it's not the gun that kills, it's the psycho wielding the gun that kills" and on the other hand those same people B&C about person deemed "mentally unstable" being denied firearms.

What if enough people bitch about this "rule" or "law" and it gets retracted. Then, one of the people that had received the letter goes out and is now able to get a firearm so they do AND they use it to kill innocents?

I tell ya, the lawmakers are doomed if they do and doomed if they don't.

it should not be based on what someone else thinks if that someone else is not a person educated in the methods of making such determinations on someones else's mental health or lack thereof ....

in other words if the persons has not been deemed unfit by a psychological professional this IS an infringement on their rights ...

if they are deemed unfit by said professionals I have no issue with it , but lets first get to the bottom of how and by whom they have been deemed unfit

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

All of this stuff can be addressed if it becomes a requirement to get a license to own a gun; and a license that must be renewed periodically. You need a licence (and insurance) to drive a car, fish, hunt, etc... I'm surprised any pre-training is not yet required to own (and subsequently operate) a killing machine. Hell, I'm willing to bet "at least" 70-80% of the people that own guns can't even quote you, accurately, 3 random state laws governing the usage of them.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
    All of this stuff can be addressed if it becomes a requirement to get a license to own a gun; and a license that must be renewed periodically. You need a licence (and insurance) to drive a car, fish, hunt, etc... I'm surprised any pre-training is not yet required to own (and subsequently operate) a killing machine. Hell, I'm willing to bet "at least" 70-80% of the people that own guns can't even quote you, accurately, 3 random state laws governing the usage of them.

and I would be willing to bet a higher percentage of our male population could not read those laws had they been present in the 1770s .... knowing what the law states verbatim .....or understand right from wrong and using common sense while handling a firearm are quite different issues ... I will take the latter 10 times out of 10 ... not saying , just saying

Dwinsgames

NOT that I believe insane people should have rights to guns ... BUT

2nd amendment says ....A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

9th amendment says ....The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Legislation since then has made its own new set of rules pertaining to guns , however those rules in my opinion are invalid and unconstitutional in their own right , you can not pass legislation or make laws to negate any of the first 10 amendments because of the 9th amendment .. the first 10 where to be set in stone as the basis of all other legislation and the 9th amendment was put in place as its protective clause ...

the only way a person should legally under our constitution not be permitted to own a gun is by court order , you have to take them to court to remove their individual right ...

our constitution protects the mentally insane , the criminal element as well as the law abiding citizens equally , the court system is used to punish people for their actions not the amendments or any other politically charged legislation ...

that is not my opinion that is what the constitution says and to take away rights by legislation is a crime in itself ....

I am actually shocked that the NRA has not taken this stance and forced a repeal of all gun laws
    Last edited by Dwinsgames; 02-23-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
    Show me in the constitution where it says you have a right to own a car,a potential killing machine.?

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Show me in the constitution where it says you have a right to own a car,a potential killing machine.?
    The purpose of a car is transportation. The purpose of an AR-15 is to hold up your car hood when your hood latch is broke. Big difference.