Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who’s The First Pittsburgh Steeler To Fall?

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Who’s The First Pittsburgh Steeler To Fall?

We are only a short time away before NFL teams start slashing and burning their rosters in order to make room for the salary cap restrictions in 2013. Some teams are far better off than others – like the Ravens who have $15.1 million in cap space or the Bengals who have a whopping $55.1 million to spare… and oh yeah, the Browns have around $48 million to spare. The Steelers are reported to be $10.8 million in the whole. That leaves almost zero room to negotiate for free agent contracts – which the Steelers aren’t really keen in doing anyways.

With a cap that is deep in the red, the team will need to dump a ton of dead weight and restructure contracts. What complicates matters even more is that the team needs to try and sign over 24 free agents…. that is if they choose to sign certain ones. Offense or defense, the Steelers are hard pressed with some critical decisions for some positional players. For the purpose of this post, I’m including free agents the Steelers could just choose to walk away from without making realistic offers............

Read more @ http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/02/14...eeler-to-fall/

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Who’s The First Pittsburgh Steeler To Fall?

I say Big Snack goes first. He is a few years past his prime and they already have his replacement waiting in the wings.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Casey's a free agent anyway. we can't "cut" him.
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by msafford View Post
    Casey's a free agent anyway. we can't "cut" him.
    Oh really? I thought he was still under that contract

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Hopefully Kiesel. He's been done for awhile now. It's time to let the youth(Heyward) step in.
    Hater = Realist

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Hopefully Kiesel. He's been done for awhile now. It's time to let the youth(Heyward) step in.
    I competely disagree. He's a leader and he's the most consistent DE (if not DL) we have at present.

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

I say it will be Harrison is bad as I hate to say it.

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
    I say it will be Harrison is bad as I hate to say it.
    I may have sad him too but by all accounts it's "cheaper to keep him."

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJarhead View Post
    I competely disagree. He's a leader and he's the most consistent DE (if not DL) we have at present.
    Agreed.

I think he had as many qb pressures last season as the rest of the DL combined.

But at the same token if there has to be a veteran big name cap casuality it could be him because they think they have his replacement in tow in Cameron Heyward. That can't be said with the other potential cuts they could make.

- - - Updated - - -

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=68&f=1897&t=11217280

Here's the link. Keisel had 40 qb pressures, the rest of the DL combined had 33.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Willie Colon will be the first to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Possibly, but it doesn't give you any cap relief, so you still got more to go.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Frees up about $1.2M. It's a start. If you're looking for a "splash" it can only be two guys...either Polamalu or Harrison. With the position they are in, cutting one guy really isn't going to put a dent in the cap. Ben, LT and Woodley HAVE to be restructured. Polamalu, Taylor, Harrison would have to re-work their deals as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Possibly, but it doesn't give you any cap relief, so you still got more to go.
    Frees up about $1.2M. It's a start. If you're looking for a "splash" it can only be two guys...either Polamalu or Harrison. With the position they are in, cutting one guy really isn't going to put a dent in the cap. Ben, LT and Woodley HAVE to be restructured. Polamalu, Taylor, Harrison would have to re-work their deals as well.
    Always liked him (thought he should have been a guard all along), but he can't stay healthy.

Always liked him (thought he should have been a guard all along), but he can't stay healthy.

Thing is he did for his first 4 seasons. Didn't miss a game to injury in his first 4 seasons in the league. And none of his injuries are related in even the slightest way. And this last injury was the direct result of a cheap shot by the Ravens where he was absolutely targeted in the knee! I don't know that he wouldn't have gone this season without missing a game absent a blatant cheap shot with intent to injure?

Willie Colon was playing guard at Alan Faneca level from game 4-8. If you're only going to get minimal cap relief cutting him I have no idea why you would do that? Have him come in a litle lighter this season so he can be more in line with what you need if you switch to zone blocking technique. But don't cut him. He's too good when healthy. Plus I'm not sold on Beachum. That's too big of gamble to make when you consider how important the left guard has been in the Steelers offense over the years.

Thing is he did for his first 4 seasons. Didn't miss a game to injury in his first 4 seasons in the league. And none of his injuries are related in even the slightest way. And this last injury was the direct result of a cheap shot by the Ravens where he was absolutely targeted in the knee! I don't know that he wouldn't have gone this season without missing a game absent a blatant cheap shot with intent to injure?

Willie Colon was playing guard at Alan Faneca level from game 4-8. If you're only going to get minimal cap relief cutting him I have no idea why you would do that? Have him come in a litle lighter this season so he can be more in line with what you need if you switch to zone blocking technique. But don't cut him. He's too good when healthy. Plus I'm not sold on Beachum. That's too big of gamble to make when you consider how important the left guard has been in the Steelers offense over the years.
    Zu, I hear you (and definitely agree with this). But, whatever the reason, he's seemingly more fragile.

BTW - I'm not stating that we should cut him either. I'm stating that I think there is a chance of that happening, and I'm sure it would be due to health. On the other hand, if money isn't the issue, I dount they'd release him for his roster spot unless some stud emerged or fell into our laps.

I'm as anxious as you to see how we approach this off-season.
    I'm praying they find a way to keep #23.

Zu, I hear you (and definitely agree with this). But, whatever the reason, he's seemingly more fragile.

BTW - I'm not stating that we should cut him either. I'm stating that I think there is a chance of that happening, and I'm sure it would be due to health. On the other hand, if money isn't the issue, I dount they'd release him for his roster spot unless some stud emerged or fell into our laps.

I'm as anxious as you to see how we approach this off-season.
    I'm praying they find a way to keep #23.
    If it meant cutting Ike Taylor in order to free up cap space to sign Keenan Lewis long term would you do it?

I would.

If it meant cutting Ike Taylor in order to free up cap space to sign Keenan Lewis long term would you do it?

I would.
    Man that's a tough one....

Yea, I probably would too.
    I always compare these scenarios to us letting Rod Woodson go. I can't think of a FA bigger than him that we've let go and Ike would be no exception so....
    Considering the prospects behind Lewis, I think we could live with it.

Now I feel like a heel. Sorry Ike.

I'm going with Colon. He is in a really bad spot. Cash heavy contract...younger, healthier players behind him.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I'm going with Colon. He is in a really bad spot. Cash heavy contract...younger, healthier players behind him.
    We should have cleansed ourselves of colon a few years ago.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    ba, boom, crash!

GBMB ladies and gents. He'll be in town all week. Try the veal!

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

A picture is worth a thousand turds!

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post

Thee Conservative Steeler Array title="steel9guy is on a distinguished road"> steel9guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post

Haha wow, I can't believe this picture, it's so true.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

I would.
    Damn. i never heard anyone bring up that scenario at all. Great insight zu. Pains me to say it, but id do it in a heartbeat for the sake of the long term. ike only has so many great years left at 32. itll be a real shame if we cant find a way to keep ike, allen, and lewis. that couldve been about as devastating of a cornerback trio as they come
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Damn. i never heard anyone bring up that scenario at all. Great insight zu. Pains me to say it, but id do it in a heartbeat for the sake of the long term. ike only has so many great years left at 32. itll be a real shame if we cant find a way to keep ike, allen, and lewis. that couldve been about as devastating of a cornerback trio as they come

I see Keenan Lewis as a young Ike Taylor. A guy who can go and lock up many of the best receivers in the game without help. Cortez allen on the other hand could be a modern day Rod Woodson. A corner who can not only cover, but one who has ball skills and will keep qb's from coming to his side for the fear of getting picked.

Face it, as great as Ike has been through the years he doesn't scare qb's from his side. When you know you can get away with a poor decision or pass because the defender has little to no chance of catching it you're going to keep testing him. I would even go as far to say that Ike gave up at least 3 touchdown passes last year where his coverage was just about perfect, but he failed to play the ball well.

The point is, occasionally you can provide great coverage and get beat by perfect execution because the other guys are pro's too, and if they don't fear you ( in the sense that you can make an interception) they'll keep coming at you. . Because at worst that tight window that they probably ought not to be throwing in will result in an incompletion with an Ike Taylor type corner.

Long story short, I don't think you can be that bad with ball skills and spatial relation and actually be a great NFL corner. Which is why Ike has never received any end of year honors. And by spatial relations, it's not just Ike's inability to catch the ball that hurts him, it's also his inability to track the ball in the air correctly that tends to kill him. ( this is where he draws a lot of PI and holding penalties from)

Anyway getting back to Keenan and Cortez. To me they'd be a great duo. Because within a season I think Cortez would emerge as your top guy, and Keenan as your second corner would be as good as we've seen on this team at that spot.

So if I'm the Steelers I can't let Ike stand in the way of potentially a half decade of dominance at corner.

Ok, I way overstated all that. But hopefully you guys get the point!

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

He's the oldest and most costly. As for being a leader...I have never seen it. The defense does not have a leader.

It's time to let the youth play.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

right with you there zu. that nickel corner spot sure worries me though. I sure hope this is the year that curtis steps it up big. sure took keenan a long time but he got to playing where we want him. curtis' turn perhaps...
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    I gotta agree Psycho. Assuming the cap savings is significant enough to make the difference in signing Lewis it makes sense imo.

Obviously theres a storm coming this offseason, but if were able to hang onto harrison for one more season and sign lewis to a long term deal, that right there will make me pretty happy