Thread: Report: SEAL Who Shot Bin Laden Is Struggling

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Report: SEAL Who Shot Bin Laden Is Struggling

Phil Bronstein, the executive chair of the Center for Investigative Reporting, spent a year talking to the anonymous shooter (referred to as "the Shooter"), ultimately producing a nearly 15,000-word piece titled, "The Man Who Killed Osama bin Laden ... Is Screwed."

LINK: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...quire/1909513/

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Re: Report: SEAL Who Shot Bin Laden Is Struggling

That's really sad

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJarhead View Post
    That's really sad
    More like embarrasing. Not to him, to our country.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    More like embarrasing. Not to him, to our country.
    That too.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

While its sad that he is in the position he's in, he should have stayed in another 3 or 4 years to get his retirement benefits. When you join the military, and especially the Navy SEALs team, you know what you're signing up for. No one made him sign up.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    While its sad that he is in the position he's in, he should have stayed in another 3 or 4 years to get his retirement benefits. When you join the military, and especially the Navy SEALs team, you know what you're signing up for. No one made him sign up.
    Agreed. I would imagine it is tough for any SEAL to transition to civilian life due to the sensitive nature of their jobs.

Civilian interviewer: "So, tell me a little more about your experience."

Ex-Navy SEAL: "Well, sorry, I really can't."

That's what I thought as well at first. But if he has all the medical issues that the article says he does, there's a good chance he actually failed a medical exam and was forced out. There's also a good chance that the VA is screwing with him and not wanting to give him 100 percent disability - or even 70 or 80 percent.

So, a plausible situation is that he was medically discharged (honorable), but without 100 percent disability which denies him commissary privelidges, housing allowance, and less than full pay (or no pay if they've found a way to determine that it's not "service connected").

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Agreed. I would imagine it is tough for any SEAL to transition to civilian life due to the sensitive nature of their jobs.

Civilian interviewer: "So, tell me a little more about your experience."

Ex-Navy SEAL: "Well, sorry, I really can't."
    (the extended version)

"Why not? You can at least tell me something."

"Let's see. We did a lot of jumping out of airplanes. Also quite a bit of scuba work. There was a lot of time spent on the weight benches and exercising on the beach, not to mention the waves."

"Oh, um, exactly how does being a skydiving beach bum make you qualified for this job?"

Ex Navy SEAL looks over the snot-nosed brat's head and sees a framed diploma from Yale Business School. "The same way your ignorance qualifies me putting my foot up your ass."

I could imagine it'd be difficult finding a job after those kinds of interviews.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

This is exactly why I stressed to my son the importance of getting an MOS that translates to the real world. It's a shame, but the people who accomplish the most heroic feats in the service are also the least- prepared to adapt to civilian life.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    This is exactly why I stressed to my son the importance of getting an MOS that translates to the real world. It's a shame, but the people who accomplish the most heroic feats in the service are also the least- prepared to adapt to civilian life.
    I for one totally agree here. I wanted to study aviation technology in the Marines but was too young to get in. A Navy 1st Class PO and a Master Chief came knocking at my door and offered me the SEAL's (the closest thing the Navy offered to the Marine experience) when I was still 17. I asked could I work in Aviation while being a SEAL, he said no (I had never heard of a SEAL before that). I contemplated a day or two and chose Aviation for the "exact" same reason you mention above.
    Now, the SEAL highlighted in the article can get a job in security somewhere, but his declining eye-sight could be an issue. He also said that he didn't want another job in which he would use a gun (in the above link or another article I read); I mentioned in a post in the not too distant past that the Navy really does not glamorize "martial mos's", they stress mental abilities much more. I believe, from reading his quote on this, this is an example of that culture.
    I used that skill I learned in the Navy to get me by until I got educated and got to do what I really wanted to do in life.
    Last edited by SteelerEmpire; 02-12-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    That's what I thought as well at first. But if he has all the medical issues that the article says he does, there's a good chance he actually failed a medical exam and was forced out. There's also a good chance that the VA is screwing with him and not wanting to give him 100 percent disability - or even 70 or 80 percent.

So, a plausible situation is that he was medically discharged (honorable), but without 100 percent disability which denies him commissary privelidges, housing allowance, and less than full pay (or no pay if they've found a way to determine that it's not "service connected").
    Valid points. I guess we'll have to read the book to find out why he left the service early.

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

How bad could his health and eyesight really be, I find it hard to believe that he was just on a mission to take out one the most dangerous men on the planet and now the military is forcing him out because his health is so bad they cant even find a training gig or desk job for him? He may not want a job where he carrys a gun but that type of work is where he has experience, Its not like he an accounting firm is going to hire him because hes a war hero. Point is its not the job of our private companies to take care of this guy, its the job of our government to make sure this guy has a place in a country that he has fought to defend.

After thinking about it, I'm actually a little skeptical. He is likely out on medical (and he's entitled to a percentage of benefits based on any disabilities, even scars). The other thing is, they have been known to grant early retirement in special circumstances. Carlos Hathcock (Well known Marine Sniper) was granted early retirement, but I think it was only about 18 months early. He was struggling with skin graphs he'd received following his involvement in a attack on an APC in Vietnam (he was riding on the roof when it exploded).

After thinking about it, I'm actually a little skeptical. He is likely out on medical (and he's entitled to a percentage of benefits based on any disabilities, even scars). The other thing is, they have been known to grant early retirement in special circumstances. Carlos Hathcock (Well known Marine Sniper) was granted early retirement, but I think it was only about 18 months early. He was struggling with skin graphs he'd received following his involvement in a attack on an APC in Vietnam (he was riding on the roof when it exploded).
    I have a former Marine friend and drinking buddy that got early retirement at 18 yrs. But you can get about a $200 a month check for life for just ringing in your ears. There's no test to verify or deny ear ringing, all you have to do is say you got it while in the military and they basically give it to you (because it is a common condition of former military). $200 is not much, but it's gas money, and it's for life. So I know what you mean about a simple scar received while on active duty.

Valid points. I guess we'll have to read the book to find out why he left the service early.
    I'm interested too now, because the more I think about it, the more I also realize that if they were downchecking him, a medical retirement is probably a guaranteed disability issue. Hmm.

I know one thing, if he is being dishonest, his fraternity is going to be ticked something fierce! Not a group of guys I'd want to mess with.

I'm interested too now, because the more I think about it, the more I also realize that if they were downchecking him, a medical retirement is probably a guaranteed disability issue. Hmm.

I know one thing, if he is being dishonest, his fraternity is going to be ticked something fierce! Not a group of guys I'd want to mess with.
    Me either man. Those dudes are incredibly bad ass. Not as tough as Force Recon, but about as close as you can get in my opinion.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
    He also said that he didn't want another job in which he would use a gun (in the above link or another article I read)
    After WWII my father never touched another gun as long as he lived.

War is hell.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Dwinsgames

But you can get about a $200 a month check for life for just ringing in your ears. There's no test to verify or deny ear ringing, all you have to do is say you got it while in the military and they basically give it to you (because it is a common condition of former military). $200 is not much, but it's gas money, and it's for life. So I know what you mean about a simple scar received while on active duty.
    a smart man gets a loan on a 35k house in a half decent neighborhood over 20 years and uses the 200 to pay for it , all the while renting it out for 550-600 a month .....

uses the profits on that 1 to get 2 more just like the first one and does the same thing and that 200 a month income for ringing in the ears is now a $1,200 a month cashflow while the first property makes the payments for all 3 ......

just a thought

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

Carlos Hathcock (Well known Marine Sniper) was granted early retirement, but I think it was only about 18 months early.
    I was going to mention Hathcock, too.

I would almost always side with the veteran 100% of the time on an issue like this, but I have to admit, if he bailed early and thought he'd be taken care of for life just because he was the trigger man on that operation - that's his unfortunate mistake. As others have mentioned, if his medical needs are legitimate that's a different story. But if he just got out early, sorry buddy, thanks for going on countless missions to protect this country, but I don't think you deserve special treatment. There were dozens of SEALs who could have been the one to drop UBL. Just because you ascended up that staircase first doesn't mean you should be treated any differently than your comrades who were behind you.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Me either man. Those dudes are incredibly bad ass. Not as tough as Force Recon, but about as close as you can get in my opinion.
    Now there's a statement we'll never agree on. I'm not doubting the toughness of force recon - but the Navy SEAL training, starting with their first revolution through Hell Week, is physically and mentally brutal, and meant to do nothing else but beat you down and force you out of the program. If you can survive that, then they figure you're good enough to train.

Heck, I've read of occasions where the instructors have five or six guys on the logs and they basically tell 'em, you're lifting them until one of you quits the program.

Force Recon - like all Marines and especially like all spec. ops, are tough, but I don't think they match the Navy SEALS - and then this guy was part of what used to be team 6, which is an entire level above all the other SEAL training, and a whole new set of abuses to make that team.

Now there's a statement we'll never agree on. I'm not doubting the toughness of force recon - but the Navy SEAL training, starting with their first revolution through Hell Week, is physically and mentally brutal, and meant to do nothing else but beat you down and force you out of the program. If you can survive that, then they figure you're good enough to train.

Heck, I've read of occasions where the instructors have five or six guys on the logs and they basically tell 'em, you're lifting them until one of you quits the program.

Force Recon - like all Marines and especially like all spec. ops, are tough, but I don't think they match the Navy SEALS - and then this guy was part of what used to be team 6, which is an entire level above all the other SEAL training, and a whole new set of abuses to make that team.
    Fact: None of us experienced both Force Recon and Navy Seals so I see no way to make an arguement without that frame of reference. I will say this though, Force partakes in Seal training, Ranger Training and a host of other training each service specializes in. From what I know, I would consider them comparable at the very least.

Fact: None of us experienced both Force Recon and Navy Seals so I see no way to make an arguement without that frame of reference. I will say this though, Force partakes in Seal training, Ranger Training and a host of other training each service specializes in. From what I know, I would consider them comparable at the very least.
    Aint that the truth - I'd have fallen out the first day. IN truth, I think all special forces are comparable to a certain degree - they're just trained for different things.

I don't know much about Force Recon. But to make a comparison-contrast, you would have to go back and pull up their failure vs. success rates for the missions they've been on over about the last 30 yrs. Whoever has been on the most missions usually is a reflection of how much confidence the government has in them. Trouble is, to find a "reliable" mission list is a task in itself.

But "toughness" is only a part of the battle when training to be a warrior. Granted you have to have "minimum" physical qualities (toughness), but after that it's who has the "brains and skills" to carry out successful missions.

Prime example: the Steelers are the toughest team in football, but at the same time can't make the playoffs.
    Last edited by SteelerEmpire; 02-15-2013 at 05:08 PM.

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

It's already been said, but he signed up for duty and then got out before finishing his 20. If he wanted to stay in, he could have. If he is as injured as the article says, then he will get a nice check from the VA every month. The process is slow, but once the payments start, he will get it for the rest of his life, and it will be much more than $200 a month.

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    It's already been said, but he signed up for duty and then got out before finishing his 20. If he wanted to stay in, he could have. If he is as injured as the article says, then he will get a nice check from the VA every month. The process is slow, but once the payments start, he will get it for the rest of his life, and it will be much more than $200 a month.
    Navy brass is even starting to say it:

Rear Adm. Sean Pybus, “Concerning recent writing and reporting on ‘The Shooter’ and his alleged situation, this former SEAL made a deliberate and informed decision to leave the Navy several years short of retirement status,” Pybus said in a statement to the Navy Times. “Months ahead of his separation, he was counseled on status and benefits, and provided with options to continue his career until retirement eligible. Claims to the contrary in these matters are false.”

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/...lose-benefits/

Gotta say, I must agree here. Now, if it is the VA not processing the claims eligibility paperwork in a timely manner (which they have been known not to do) then I would agree with the "shooter."
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

I don't know much about Force Recon. But to make a comparison-contrast, you would have to go back and pull up their failure vs. success rates for the missions they've been on over about the last 30 yrs. Whoever has been on the most missions usually is a reflection of how much confidence the government has in them. Trouble is, to find a "reliable" mission list is a task in itself.

But "toughness" is only a part of the battle when training to be a warrior. Granted you have to have "minimum" physical qualities (toughness), but after that it's who has the "brains and skills" to carry out successful missions.

Prime example: the Steelers are the toughest team in football, but at the same time can't make the playoffs.
    And that is just another opinion, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSTILLER View Post
    Navy brass is even starting to say it:

Rear Adm. Sean Pybus, “Concerning recent writing and reporting on ‘The Shooter’ and his alleged situation, this former SEAL made a deliberate and informed decision to leave the Navy several years short of retirement status,” Pybus said in a statement to the Navy Times. “Months ahead of his separation, he was counseled on status and benefits, and provided with options to continue his career until retirement eligible. Claims to the contrary in these matters are false.”

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/...lose-benefits/

Gotta say, I must agree here. Now, if it is the VA not processing the claims eligibility paperwork in a timely manner (which they have been known not to do) then I would agree with the "shooter."

Yeah, I saw that and came to post it as well. Here's another link to a similar article. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ries=obnetwork

So, my scenario of how he might really have been screwed, doesn't seem to be the truth here. Gotta say, it was a boneheaded maneuver on his part. Four years left. Just four years. If you don't want to be a shooter anymore, I'm SURE that you can find yourself on board a ship for four years cleaning toilets, or sitting in a desk at the pentagon in some joint command group blah blah blah.