Thread: Own a gun? Time to buy violence liability insurance

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Own a gun? Time to buy violence liability insurance

Own a gun? Time to buy violence liability insurance, California Democrats say

Democratic lawmakers proposed legislation Tuesday that would require California gun owners to buy liability insurance to cover damages or injuries caused by their weapons.

Similar bills have been introduced in other states after the Newtown, Conn., school massacre. They include Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and New York.

"I was moved, like many others, being the father of two young children, by the Sandy Hook incident and looking for constructive ways to manage gun violence here in California as well as the rest of the country," said Assemblyman Philip Ting of San Francisco, who introduced AB231 along with Assemblyman Jimmy Gomez of Los Angeles. "There's basically a cost that is born by the taxpayers when accidents occur. ... I don't think that taxpayers should be footing those bills."

Ting equated the idea to requiring vehicle owners to buy auto insurance. Gomez said it would encourage gun owners to take firearms safety classes and keep their guns locked up to get lower insurance rates.

Some proposals would require buyers to show proof of insurance before they could purchase a weapon. The proposal in California would apply to anyone owning a weapon, Ting said, though the bill's details are still being worked out.

Sam Paredes, executive director of Gun Owners of California, said most gun owners already act responsibly and can be sued for damages if they don't.

He said the proposal is part of an ongoing attempt to "price gun owners out of existence," particularly the law-abiding poor who live in crime-ridden areas and need protection the most. Criminals would ignore the law, he said.

Moreover, he questioned whether it is constitutional to require someone to buy insurance to exercise a constitutional right.

"If they don't address it in committee, I'll guarantee they'll have to address it in court," Paredes said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2K8qmjo7Q
    The stupidity continues.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Re: Own a gun? Time to buy violence liability insurance

I think politicians should be forced to get fraud insurance. So when they embarrass themselves via sex scandal, corruption, really stupid legislation proposals, etc., those who voted for them can sue for fraud. You know, since we're being silly.

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    When certain parts of the electorate buy stupidity liability insurance to cover my tax rate increase every time they believe a democrat who says "I won't raise your taxes," then I'll start thinking about buying "violence liability insurance."
    Well said.

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Oh yea. Charge em $200 a month for insurance, that'll make em stop buyin them guns !!! lol. But no, seriously, that just might be doable.