Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Universe: 2013 Mock Draft thread

Steelers Universe: 2013 Mock Draft thread

The first version of the 2013 Mock Draft has been posted. There will be a boat load of changes before the draft based on Free Agency...insider information...and trades.

Give us your opinions and predictions!!
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Dwinsgames

Re: Steelers Universe: 2013 Mock Draft thread

Love Vaccaro but at 17 ...that is overpaying for a guy who I believe could be had much later in a trade down and extra picks to add value

I would not draft him that early and trust me I like him a lot but 17 is Troy area , I do not see Vaccaro as Troy talent ...just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Love Vaccaro but at 17 ...that is overpaying for a guy who I believe could be had much later in a trade down and extra picks to add value

I would not draft him that early and trust me I like him a lot but 17 is Troy area , I do not see Vaccaro as Troy talent ...just my opinion

You know my feelings on Vaccaro...I think he's special. But if we could get him later in the draft I would be elated.

NFLDraftScout has him ranked as the #13 overall talent in this draft....but there is plenty of time before the draft.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Cant wait to watch Barkevious Mingo run those CB drills at the combine.
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

If we don't take Vaccaro at 17, the Rams will take him if he's still there at 22. Any kind of a trade down would have to get us a pick before the Rams.

Personally, I'd rather see a LBer with the first pick. This draft is strong at safety and we can still get a good one later. I think that we need a player in the first round who can come in and play immediately and I see that happening at LBer.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    If we don't take Vaccaro at 17, the Rams will take him if he's still there at 22. Any kind of a trade down would have to get us a pick before the Rams.

Personally, I'd rather see a LBer with the first pick. This draft is strong at safety and we can still get a good one later. I think that we need a player in the first round who can come in and play immediately and I see that happening at LBer.
    I don't know, I still want to give Spence a shot. I think he can be a good linebacker and hopefully he'll be one hundred percent come training camp. I'd love to take Vaccaro in the first round.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

A very nice start Perry. I personally have no problem with Vaccaro at 17 right now. What happens in the combine may move him up a bit though, or move him down, who knows.

If we try to move down in the draft I am still playing with the Xavier Rhodes idea. Big kid that is one of the most physical CBs I have seen in some time. I still think he can be converted to Safty and maybe be even better than some think.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Nice stuff LLT.....really enjoy this part of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    A very nice start Perry. I personally have no problem with Vaccaro at 17 right now. What happens in the combine may move him up a bit though, or move him down, who knows.

If we try to move down in the draft I am still playing with the Xavier Rhodes idea. Big kid that is one of the most physical CBs I have seen in some time. I still think he can be converted to Safty and maybe be even better than some think.
    I like Rhodes....a lot!

If we do go with Vaccaro...Here is a possibility.

Round 1) Kenny Vaccaro, Safety, Texas, 6'1 219 lbs
    Finally...a legitimate safety who can play either FS or SS if Troy or Ryan go down.

Round 2) Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina, 6'0 220 lbs
    Ranked as a third round prospect due to injury...I would snatch up Lattimore in a heartbeat if still on the board with this pick.... knowing that I have a first round talent when he is healed.

Round 3) Nico Johnson, ILB, Alabama, 6'2 249 lbs
    Physical Run stopper with good speed to cover the middle on passing downs. Has the size and athleticism to play ILB/OLB

Round 4) Keith Pough OLB, Howard, 6'2 241 lbs
    I love the small school sleepers. Pough was impressive at Shrine game...Was described by scouts as "violent" and "aggressive". Harrison might be history and if not...Pough will push Carter and Worilds as the first backup on the field.

Round 5) Matt Scott QB, Arizona, 6'2 202 lbs
    Thin framed but very athletic QB who will make defenses account for his ability to run, while maintaining the talent to burn them with his strong arm and quick release. Will need to add some weight to play in the NFl.

Round 6) Marcus Davis WR, Virginia Tech, 6'3 230
    Project player who has great size and runs a 4.47 forty. Has the physical tools, but will need a coach to light a fire under him. Some basic problems with fundemtals....but could be a gem if he proves to be coachable.

Round 7) When you get this deep into the draft its a crapshoot... I like OG Chris Barker of Nevada, 6'4 305 lbs: good character and hard worker.....DT Gilbert Pena of Mississippi, 6'2 334 lbs: Good size and worth a peek in the 7th....DE Baker Steinkuhler of Nebraska, 6'5 290 lbs: worth a PS slot until Kiesel retires.....SS Earl Wolff of North Carolina State, 5'11 206 lbs: surprised some people at the Shrine game with his athleticism, reaction time, and field awareness.

-- Jack Lambert --

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Each year it seems I sing the same song,,,,,, trade down. This year will be no different. I know that a trade down is hard to pull off, but they do happen each year, so who knows.
    I would like to see us trade into the 25th pick area, and pick up an extra 3rd round pick.es

1....Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida St. 6'1", 217 lbs, 4.53/40....... This early entry I a very physical CB that has good speed and a solid build. Played RB, CB, and WR in high school, and I, for one, think he could switch to Safty, a position of need, or stay at CB if needed. Long arms, and pretty good hand,

2....Quinton Patton. WR, Louisiana Tech, 6'0", 200 lbs, 4.52/40...... Stonge kid with long arms that normally catches the ball with his hand instead of his body. Has great exelleration off the line, and make quick cuts in his pattern. Does not have great breakaway speed, but his exelleration and quickness should give Ben a new target in the middle, letting Sanders move to the outside.

3a....Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina, 6'0", 220 lbs, 4.6/40......This kid is one of the more complete backs I have seen, he has everything but speed. He can block, catch the ball out of the backfield, and run with power. He can also put a couple of move on to give him just that little bit of a crack. Earlier I was thinking about him a the first round pick, but after having the last two seasons ended with an injury I think there may not be to many teams looking at him till the late 3rd, or early 4th. A gamble? Yes he is, but the extra 3rd will make a bit easier to take.

3b....Nico Johnson, ILB, Alabama, 6'2", 250 lbs...... Seems to becoming a side favorite, don't think I can tell you anything you don't already know.

4....Devin Pough, OLB, Howard, 6'2", 241 lbs...... LLT has pretty well covered this kid, and I agree. Also a name that I am seeing mentioned more.

5,,,,Kwame Geathers, NT, Georgia, 6'5", 355 lbs.... A little taller than I normally like, but a huge kid that can clog the middle of the line. Has a good blood line, as his brothers, and father have all played in the NFL. Insurance for the middle of our DL,,,,,,,, just in case.

6,,,,Kerwynn Williams, RB, Utah State, 5'8, 195 lbs. 4.44/40..... Short compact body, with speed. Keeps his feet under him which makes his cuts sharp and quick. Recongises running lane, and uses blockers well. Can get to the outside, use cut back lanes, and catches the ball well, then changes gears after the catch. In other words a good replacement for whats his name.

7....Marquess Wilson. WR, Washinton State, 6'3", 190 lbs, 4,52/40.... A productive player for Washington State. Is not a burner, but tall with long arms. At his best when going up for a jump ball. Could develop into a red zone weapon for Ben.

AML

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Interesting Tex. 2 WR and 2 RB. You think we go that heavy to the offense?

I think it is a good year to trade down and get some extra picks. Maybe even package a vet or 2. Woodley would like good in Jax.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Interesting Tex. 2 WR and 2 RB. You think we go that heavy to the offense?

I think it is a good year to trade down and get some extra picks. Maybe even package a vet or 2. Woodley would like good in Jax.
    I am assuming that we may go through heavy losses at WR. Unless I've missed something the Wallace situation doesn't look promising, and I've read a couple places that Cotchery could be missing next year as well. Like I said, I think Patton could be a very good player in the middle, and then Sanders could slide over to take Mikes place. I like Wilson mostly because of his highth, and very long arms. He has shown me the ability to go up after the high, or jump balls.

It's no secret that I do not think we have a starting RB on this team, not one I would trust play after play, game after game. Lattimore would give us that back,IF he can stay healthy. Williams has the look of a kid that can play in a few different places. A RB that can get to the outside, or catch the ball, could line up as a WR it the need arises, could even run back kicks for us. Remember the second WR, and RB are the 6th and 7th round picks.

4 of the 8 picks were defencive players, CB/Safty, ILB, OLB, and NT, I think all this kids could help the depth of these positions that I see as position of need.

AML

Dwinsgames

Each year it seems I sing the same song,,,,,, trade down. This year will be no different. I know that a trade down is hard to pull off, but they do happen each year, so who knows.
    I would like to see us trade into the 25th pick area, and pick up an extra 3rd round pick.es

1....Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida St. 6'1", 217 lbs, 4.53/40....... This early entry I a very physical CB that has good speed and a solid build. Played RB, CB, and WR in high school, and I, for one, think he could switch to Safty, a position of need, or stay at CB if needed. Long arms, and pretty good hand,

2....Quinton Patton. WR, Louisiana Tech, 6'0", 200 lbs, 4.52/40...... Stonge kid with long arms that normally catches the ball with his hand instead of his body. Has great exelleration off the line, and make quick cuts in his pattern. Does not have great breakaway speed, but his exelleration and quickness should give Ben a new target in the middle, letting Sanders move to the outside.

3a....Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina, 6'0", 220 lbs, 4.6/40......This kid is one of the more complete backs I have seen, he has everything but speed. He can block, catch the ball out of the backfield, and run with power. He can also put a couple of move on to give him just that little bit of a crack. Earlier I was thinking about him a the first round pick, but after having the last two seasons ended with an injury I think there may not be to many teams looking at him till the late 3rd, or early 4th. A gamble? Yes he is, but the extra 3rd will make a bit easier to take.

3b....Nico Johnson, ILB, Alabama, 6'2", 250 lbs...... Seems to becoming a side favorite, don't think I can tell you anything you don't already know.

4....Devin Pough, OLB, Howard, 6'2", 241 lbs...... LLT has pretty well covered this kid, and I agree. Also a name that I am seeing mentioned more.

5,,,,Kwame Geathers, NT, Georgia, 6'5", 355 lbs.... A little taller than I normally like, but a huge kid that can clog the middle of the line. Has a good blood line, as his brothers, and father have all played in the NFL. Insurance for the middle of our DL,,,,,,,, just in case.

6,,,,Kerwynn Williams, RB, Utah State, 5'8, 195 lbs. 4.44/40..... Short compact body, with speed. Keeps his feet under him which makes his cuts sharp and quick. Recongises running lane, and uses blockers well. Can get to the outside, use cut back lanes, and catches the ball well, then changes gears after the catch. In other words a good replacement for whats his name.

7....Marquess Wilson. WR, Washinton State, 6'3", 190 lbs, 4,52/40.... A productive player for Washington State. Is not a burner, but tall with long arms. At his best when going up for a jump ball. Could develop into a red zone weapon for Ben.

I like it ... would like it even more if we then traded back again from mid 20s to early /mid 30s ( gain another pick or two along the way ) and Take David Amerson with our first selection( 2nd round ) followed up with T.J McDonald , Eddie Lacy , Nico Johnson ...

If the pieces fall right we could trade back twice and gain a pair of 2nd rounders ( depends on whom is on the board and what team is wanting to make the move ) ..QBs will control the draft as they always do and if we play our cards right that could be a real advantage in this draft for us to make some moves and come out smelling like a rose ourselves in the process ..

trade pick value does not support that logic but when it comes to QBs on the board the value charts go out the window in a QB driven league

I like it ... would like it even more if we then traded back again from mid 20s to early /mid 30s ( gain another pick or two along the way ) and Take David Amerson with our first selection( 2nd round ) followed up with T.J McDonald , Eddie Lacy , Nico Johnson ...

If the pieces fall right we could trade back twice and gain a pair of 2nd rounders ( depends on whom is on the board and what team is wanting to make the move ) ..QBs will control the draft as they always do and if we play our cards right that could be a real advantage in this draft for us to make some moves and come out smelling like a rose ourselves in the process ..

trade pick value does not support that logic but when it comes to QBs on the board the value charts go out the window in a QB driven league
    Like all four players, just wondering how far Anderson will climb, and if McDonald may recover from his slide and start to climb again. Things will clear up a little after the combine. If we could pull off all four players I think I would be very pleased.

By the way, I have become a big Lacy fan. Kid has guts, and seems to never give up on a play.

AML

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

I am assuming that we may go through heavy losses at WR. Unless I've missed something the Wallace situation doesn't look promising, and I've read a couple places that Cotchery could be missing next year as well. Like I said, I think Patton could be a very good player in the middle, and then Sanders could slide over to take Mikes place. I like Wilson mostly because of his highth, and very long arms. He has shown me the ability to go up after the high, or jump balls.

It's no secret that I do not think we have a starting RB on this team, not one I would trust play after play, game after game. Lattimore would give us that back,IF he can stay healthy. Williams has the look of a kid that can play in a few different places. A RB that can get to the outside, or catch the ball, could line up as a WR it the need arises, could even run back kicks for us. Remember the second WR, and RB are the 6th and 7th round picks.

4 of the 8 picks were defencive players, CB/Safty, ILB, OLB, and NT, I think all this kids could help the depth of these positions that I see as position of need.
    Makes a lot of sense. I have a feeling though, that we pick up another O Lineman along the way. Maybe if we get some compensatory picks.

Makes a lot of sense. I have a feeling though, that we pick up another O Lineman along the way. Maybe if we get some compensatory picks.
    Thats very possible bud. If they do I would look for someone like a Manase Foketi of West Texas A&M, in the 6th or 7th. A big strong kid that is good in pass protection.

AML

Dwinsgames

we should get 1 from William Gay , look for it between rounds 5 and 7

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Lacy looks good....nice ball protection.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Yes, we definitely will. If you read the article about the offense and OL, Haley and Bicknell want lighter, more athletic linemen. That most likely means that Starks, Colon and possibly Foster will be gone.

Hmmmm...taking that into consideration.

Round 1) Kenny Vaccaro, Safety, Texas, 6'1 219 lbs
    Finally...a legitimate safety who can play either FS or SS if Troy or Ryan go down.

Round 2) Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina, 6'0 220 lbs
    Ranked as a third round prospect due to injury...I would snatch up Lattimore in a heartbeat if still on the board with this pick.... knowing that I have a first round talent when he is healed.

Round 3) Nico Johnson, ILB, Alabama, 6'2 249 lbs
    Physical Run stopper with good speed to cover the middle on passing downs. Has the size and athleticism to play ILB/OLB

Round 4) Keith Pough OLB, Howard, 6'2 241 lbs
    I love the small school sleepers. Pough was impressive at Shrine game...Was described by scouts as "violent" and "aggressive". Harrison might be history and if not...Pough will push Carter and Worilds as the first backup on the field.

Round 5a) Matt Scott QB, Arizona, 6'2 202 lbs
    Thin framed but very athletic QB who will make defenses account for his ability to run, while maintaining the talent to burn them with his strong arm and quick release. Will need to add some weight to play in the NFl.

Round 5b) Garrett Gilkey OG, Chadron State 6'6 314 lbs
    Was able to play with the big boys at the Senior Bowl. Even held his own against NT John Jenkins. Good work ethic and extremely high ceiling.

Round 6) Marcus Davis WR, Virginia Tech, 6'3 230
    Project player who has great size and runs a 4.47 forty. Has the physical tools, but will need a coach to light a fire under him. Some basic problems with fundemtals....but could be a gem if he proves to be coachable.

Round 7) Earl Wolff SS, North Carolina State, 5'11 206 lbs
    Surprised some people at the Shrine game with his athleticism, reaction time, and field awareness.

-- Jack Lambert --

Dwinsgames

with the potential of 4 O-Linemen that where on the roster in 2012 being gone at the start of 2013 and a change in philosophy of the type of linemen and scheme they intend to run changes the type of RB we will need and with that style of RB not on the roster it creates another issue that needs addressing .... I think we need to put more emphasis on replacing them even though it has been my contention that we are in dire need of S and LB early in this draft and I also believe we need a QB to mold under Ben ... that being said and trying to take all of that into consideration in this 1 draft this is what I have come up with ...

round 1 pick 17 traded back to mid 20s and gain a 3rd round pick

round 1 mid 20s pick traded back to mid 30s for a second and third round pick ...

2nd round

2A David Amerson DB
    2B Jonathan Cooper OG
    3A Nico Johnson ILB
    3B Stepfan Taylor RB
    3C Shawn Williams S
    4 Brad Sorenson QB
    5 Bruce Taylor LB
    6 Micah Hyde DB
    6b Brandon Williams DE
    7 Lamar Mandy OG
    Last edited by Dwinsgames; 02-11-2013 at 04:14 PM.

A pre combine sliders draft. This is a Steelers draft of players that could go higher, but at the same time could slide into the Steelers lap on draft day. I may be pushing a bit on some of these, but I do think that some of these players could happen.

pick 17....Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia,,,,, Top OLB prospect in the draft. Some figure him to be a top 10 pick. Has explosivenes mixed with the ability to bull rush the OT that will make him hard to handle in the pass rush. Good tackler with strong hands that can rip the ball away from the QB or RB before he hits the ground.

Why will he slide????? Health questions will make several teams leary to take him extreamly high. I have seem him listed as possibly being there when we pick at 17.

Pick 49..... Eddie Lacy, RB, Stong legs with decent speed. Keeps legs moving after contact which makes him difficult to bring down. Can break tackles, elude tacklers, or just move the pile. Is the best RB in the draft right now.

Why will he slide.... Again questions about his injury, He has suffered a hammy that will keep him out of the combines. Mix this with problems like foot sprains, and other foot problems. He could go from a 1st to early 2nd round pick to a middle to later 2nd round pick.

pick 81..... Markus Williams, WR, Oregon ST...... May be one of the most talented WR in the draft, overall. Very fast, that to me sometimes looked faster than his low 4.4/40, on the field. Runs a good route, with the agility, and hands, to make the diving catch, or catch the ball thrown behind him. Will not quit working when the QB is flushed, but continues to try an give the QB an open target. Stll his best weapon is his speed and ability to gain seperation.

Why will he slide???? His size. At 5'11", 180 lb. he does not fit what some have pictured as ideal NFL WR size. Still I only seem him sliding from the 2nd round to the 3rd.

pick 113.....Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas-Pine Bluff... A very athletic, and quick OT, with good blocking technic. Can, and does get to the second level, with enough pop to set a defender on his heals. Good in zone blocking, which sound like the type of O-line we are looking to go to.

Why will he slide???? A small school kid, that even though he has good technic, needs help on his knowlage of the game. Like I said, he can get to the second level,,,,,,,,,,, but may not know what to do when he gets there. Only needs a good coach, IMO.

pick 145...... TJ McDonald, FS, Southern California,,,,,,, A big hitter, that gives good run support. Has and NFL body, and posesses good closing speed.

Why will he slide..... Is not considered a fluid CB. Will often give a WR enough room in the middle of the field to make a catch, and can often be caught out of possition. May be my most dangerous slider. A good combine could move him back up the draft chart.

pick 177..... Montori Hughes, DT, Tennessee-Martin,,,,,, A large kid, with quickness, and speed that is unusual for someone his size. A hard worker that is agressive on the field. Can break through the line and chace down a play.

Why he will slide..... Small school, several off the field incidents. Questionable fundamentals, and technic.

pick 209....... Omoregie Uzzi, OG, Georgia Tech, A guick athletic OG, with a kick slide that could put him at OT if needed. Uses his hands well to control the pass rush.

Why will he slide???? Only average size, relies on his quickness more than power. Has trouble with a bull rush.

AML

Dwinsgames

A pre combine sliders draft. This is a Steelers draft of players that could go higher, but at the same time could slide into the Steelers lap on draft day. I may be pushing a bit on some of these, but I do think that some of these players could happen.

pick 17....Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia,,,,, Top OLB prospect in the draft. Some figure him to be a top 10 pick. Has explosivenes mixed with the ability to bull rush the OT that will make him hard to handle in the pass rush. Good tackler with strong hands that can rip the ball away from the QB or RB before he hits the ground.

Why will he slide????? Health questions will make several teams leary to take him extreamly high. I have seem him listed as possibly being there when we pick at 17.

Pick 49..... Eddie Lacy, RB, Stong legs with decent speed. Keeps legs moving after contact which makes him difficult to bring down. Can break tackles, elude tacklers, or just move the pile. Is the best RB in the draft right now.

Why will he slide.... Again questions about his injury, He has suffered a hammy that will keep him out of the combines. Mix this with problems like foot sprains, and other foot problems. He could go from a 1st to early 2nd round pick to a middle to later 2nd round pick.

pick 81..... Markus Williams, WR, Oregon ST...... May be one of the most talented WR in the draft, overall. Very fast, that to me sometimes looked faster than his low 4.4/40, on the field. Runs a good route, with the agility, and hands, to make the diving catch, or catch the ball thrown behind him. Will not quit working when the QB is flushed, but continues to try an give the QB an open target. Stll his best weapon is his speed and ability to gain seperation.

Why will he slide???? His size. At 5'11", 180 lb. he does not fit what some have pictured as ideal NFL WR size. Still I only seem him sliding from the 2nd round to the 3rd.

pick 113.....Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas-Pine Bluff... A very athletic, and quick OT, with good blocking technic. Can, and does get to the second level, with enough pop to set a defender on his heals. Good in zone blocking, which sound like the type of O-line we are looking to go to.

Why will he slide???? A small school kid, that even though he has good technic, needs help on his knowlage of the game. Like I said, he can get to the second level,,,,,,,,,,, but may not know what to do when he gets there. Only needs a good coach, IMO.

pick 145...... TJ McDonald, FS, Southern California,,,,,,, A big hitter, that gives good run support. Has and NFL body, and posesses good closing speed.

Why will he slide..... Is not considered a fluid CB. Will often give a WR enough room in the middle of the field to make a catch, and can often be caught out of possition. May be my most dangerous slider. A good combine could move him back up the draft chart.

pick 177..... Montori Hughes, DT, Tennessee-Martin,,,,,, A large kid, with quickness, and speed that is unusual for someone his size. A hard worker that is agressive on the field. Can break through the line and chace down a play.

Why he will slide..... Small school, several off the field incidents. Questionable fundamentals, and technic.

pick 209....... Omoregie Uzzi, OG, Georgia Tech, A guick athletic OG, with a kick slide that could put him at OT if needed. Uses his hands well to control the pass rush.

Why will he slide???? Only average size, relies on his quickness more than power. Has trouble with a bull rush.

NICE !!

not sure on McDonald sliding all the way to 145 , I have him as a top 50-60 prospect and see a whole lot of Ryan Clark in him

NICE !!

not sure on McDonald sliding all the way to 145 , I have him as a top 50-60 prospect and see a whole lot of Ryan Clark in him
    Thank you buddy.

Actually I kinda agree with you, I have him in my top 100. He is so physical. I am just reading a lot of concerns about the weaknesses he does have.
    I do think that McDonald may have the most to gain, or loose during the combine. If he can show that he can move better than some think, he could be right back in the 2nd round. If he has a bad combine, with a poor pro-day, he could fall as far as the 4th or 5th.

AML

Dwinsgames

Thank you buddy.

Actually I kinda agree with you, I have him in my top 100. He is so physical. I am just reading a lot of concerns about the weaknesses he does have.
    I do think that McDonald may have the most to gain, or loose during the combine. If he can show that he can move better than some think, he could be right back in the 2nd round. If he has a bad combine, with a poor pro-day, he could fall as far as the 4th or 5th.

if he falls that far he could wind up being the steal of the draft long term , he is a football player more than an athlete so workouts such as the combine may not bode well for him as you suggest ... but it will bode well for the team lucky enough to land him IMO

if he falls that far he could wind up being the steal of the draft long term , he is a football player more than an athlete so workouts such as the combine may not bode well for him as you suggest ... but it will bode well for the team lucky enough to land him IMO
    And this slidrule scouting mentality is exactly what can make a good player like McDonald tumble in the draft. I'm actually a little excited to see what does happen with McDonald, because teams like the Steelers, the Ravens, the Packers ( you know, the long term good teams ) are the ones most likely to look at the player, and plays, instead of just the numbers. Like you have said before, and I agree, its not that numbers have no value, its just that they are often over valued.

This is going to be fun buddy. I love this stuff.

AML

Dwinsgames

with the potential of 4 O-Linemen that where on the roster in 2012 being gone at the start of 2013 and a change in philosophy of the type of linemen and scheme they intend to run changes the type of RB we will need and with that style of RB not on the roster it creates another issue that needs addressing .... I think we need to put more emphasis on replacing them even though it has been my contention that we are in dire need of S and LB early in this draft and I also believe we need a QB to mold under Ben ... that being said and trying to take all of that into consideration in this 1 draft this is what I have come up with ...

round 1 pick 17 traded back to mid 20s and gain a 3rd round pick

round 1 mid 20s pick traded back to mid 30s for a second and third round pick ...

2nd round

2A David Amerson DB
    2B Jonathan Cooper OG
    3A Nico Johnson ILB
    3B Stepfan Taylor RB
    3C Shawn Williams S
    4 Brad Sorenson QB
    5 Bruce Taylor LB
    6 Micah Hyde DB
    6b Brandon Williams DE
    7 Lamar Mandy OG

Steelers met with Cooper today , would be an excellent selection for what they are looking to do on the O-line

NICE !!

I also wouldnt be upset if we drafted Phillip Thomas of Fresno State... very...VERY... good instincts. I wouldnt be surprised to see him go in the first half of the 2nd round...but if he slides I'd be really pleased

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I also wouldnt be upset if we drafted Phillip Thomas of Fresno State... very...VERY... good instincts. I wouldnt be surprised to see him go in the first half of the 2nd round...but if he slides I'd be really pleased
    Trading out of the first to grab Patton, Thomas in the 2nd would be awesome
    Last edited by LLT; 02-22-2013 at 02:57 AM.
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Steelers met with Cooper today , would be an excellent selection for what they are looking to do on the O-line
    If it ends up that Cooper is our guy I would expect us to try to trade out of the 17 spot. Right now I don't see him as a mid first round pick, but not likely to make it to us in the second. I would not be unhappy with that pick. Good call Dwins.

Cooper, Pouncey, DeCastro on the inside. Just got a bit of a grin on my face.

Or might it be Pouncey, Cooper, DeCastro.

AML