Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Universe: 2013 Mock Draft thread

Re: Steelers Universe: 2013 Mock Draft thread

The more I see and the more I research Keith Pough...the more I crave having this kid on our team. 6'3 238 lbs... He finished his career as the ALL TIME tackles for loss leader with 83!!! He was also the most talked about player at the Shrine Game. If he runs in the 4.6 range at the combine he is going to fly up the charts.

BSO: What did it mean to you to win the Pat Tillman Award at the East-West Shrine Game?

KP: Besides visiting the Shriner’s hospital and meeting those kids and having those kids bless my life it means a lot. Just everything Pat Tillman stood for as a man, giving up a lucrative contract and career in football to volunteer to serve his country and unfortunately paying the ultimate sacrifice, it speaks volumes about the type of man he was and it speaks on the direction I’m headed in my life and what people see in me and the standard and the light I’m held in. To whom much is given, much is required but I gladly take on the responsibility and the challenge of being the leader having won the Pat Tillman Award. Pat Tillman stood for all those things, all the intangibles: honesty, leadership, integrity, dignity, pride, selfless service. Everything he stood for are things you can’t teach. It’s a blessing and an honor and I often think about how much of a blessing it was to even be nominated for that award.

BSO: What’s a team getting when they draft Keith Pough?

KP: The hardest working man in America. They’re getting leader, a guy with high character. A guy you won’t have to worry about on the field or off the field. A guy who is self-disciplined who’s going to be where he’s supposed to be and do what he’s supposed to do. A guy who’s very coachable, who’s going to be the first guy in, and the last guy out. A guy who will be uplifting and encouraging at all times. Someone who’s going to work hard and be willing to play wherever, even if it’s special teams. I’m willing to be that role player for the team. Everybody’s not going to be the superstar or that highly paid guy on the billboards. You’ve got to have a lot of role players, and I’m willing to take on that responsibility and contribute in any way I can.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/20...l-competition/
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

I dont like taking runningbacks high, but I have seen over the last few years what Gio Bernard is capable of and am starting to really want him. Is there any chance at all he lasts til the 3rd round for us?

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    If it ends up that Cooper is our guy I would expect us to try to trade out of the 17 spot. Right now I don't see him as a mid first round pick, but not likely to make it to us in the second. I would not be unhappy with that pick. Good call Dwins.

Cooper, Pouncey, DeCastro on the inside. Just got a bit of a grin on my face.

Or might it be Pouncey, Cooper, DeCastro.

I would not be happy with the pick at 17 either but in the second round I am in love with the pick , as you said with a trio of Cooper , Pouncy and Decastro that is a formidable bunch for the next decade an interior line like we have not seen in a long long time ( maybe ever if it pans out as expected ) Guards are not a hot commodity in the first round unless its a super human like player and even then we do not see many drafted that early .... there is hope he could be there in round 2 ( and I pray he is )

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

LT - Kolb, LG - Davis, C - Webster, RG - Clack/Mullens/Courson, RT - Brown...... Thats the only line that comes to my mind. That interior did a pretty good job for us in the 70s

AML

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Looking at some of the names mentioned in the last couple of days, how about this possiblity. KC falls in love with a QB and 17,,,,, we get the first pick in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Then our draft starts like this.

2-a. Jonathan Cooper OG
    2-b. Eddie lacy, or Giovani Bernard RB
    3-a. Phillip Thomas FS
    3-b. Keith Pough OLB

AML

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Looking at some of the names mentioned in the last couple of days, how about this possiblity. KC falls in love with a QB and 17,,,,, we get the first pick in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Then our draft starts like this.

2-a. Jonathan Cooper OG
    3-a. Phillip Thomas FS
    3-b. Keith Pough OLB
    It sure is nice to dream. That would just set us up for another couple of years. I really hope the FO is ready to make some deals to fall back in the draft.

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

2-a. Jonathan Cooper OG
    3-a. Phillip Thomas FS
    3-b. Keith Pough OLB
    Even though they are tar holes, getting Cooper and Bernard would be great.

3 of those picks are big needs and with the OL getting injured like it is I wouldn't complain about an OL pick. Especially one that would be a great zone blocker in our supposed new zone blocking scheme.

Add a wr and dl and qb Sean Renfree from Duke in the 7th and point me to where I sign off on it!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

2-a. Jonathan Cooper OG
    3-a. Phillip Thomas FS
    3-b. Keith Pough OLB
    Normally, I am not a fan of trading out of the first round, but if there is no value at OLB at pick #17, I would prefer the Steelers trade down to the upper 2nd round in a suitable range for a top RB to get a top RB without reaching and get more picks. Just wondering, would Bernard be acceptable at one of the top 5 picks in the2nd round?

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Normally, I am not a fan of trading out of the first round, but if there is no value at OLB at pick #17, I would prefer the Steelers trade down to the upper 2nd round in a suitable range for a top RB to get a top RB without reaching and get more picks. Just wondering, would Bernard be acceptable at one of the top 5 picks in the2nd round?
    he will be there , but if they pick him as their first selection I will throw up in my mouth a little ....

that is not intended to be a knock on you or the player but is more of a disdain for selecting a player at a pos that has more depth ( and the difference in quality being less than at other spots ) I believe you will be able to find quality RBs for a zone blocking team ( which we will be in 2013 ) deep into the 3rd round and when we have so many needs at pos . such as ILB, OLB , and S and potentially CB too and on Offence we we potentially will be down 4 players from last years roster on the line a WR and RB thus we need help there too .....taking a player like Bernard early and killing your ability to get a play maker at one of the other spots because of it would not be a good move ... 3rd round will still have a few very good RBs for this system .....

have a long look at Stephan Taylor , Le'Veon Bell , Kenyon Barner all well suited for zone blocking schemes and will be available at a lessor cost on draft day allowing us to fill other needs early with guys who also can make an impact and a little later guys like Knile Davis and Mike Gillislee should still be on the board ( probably round 4 guys ) ...again I was not trying to sound rude with the opening comment , its just how I feel on the issue ...

I know earlier I talked about Lacy in the second , but that is before we hired a new O-Line coach and talk of a chance in philosophy in our blocking schemes came into play and then looking at the lineman that will be gone ( instead of might be gone ) I had a change of heart on what I was looking for in a RB in terms of style of play that will best suit a zone blocking scheme

/cheers

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    he will be there , but if they pick him as their first selection I will throw up in my mouth a little ....

that is not intended to be a knock on you or the player but is more of a disdain for selecting a player at a pos that has more depth ( and the difference in quality being less than at other spots ) I believe you will be able to find quality RBs for a zone blocking team ( which we will be in 2013 ) deep into the 3rd round and when we have so many needs at pos . such as ILB, OLB , and S and potentially CB too and on Offence we we potentially will be down 4 players from last years roster on the line a WR and RB thus we need help there too .....taking a player like Bernard early and killing your ability to get a play maker at one of the other spots because of it would not be a good move ... 3rd round will still have a few very good RBs for this system .....

have a long look at Stephan Taylor , Le'Veon Bell , Kenyon Barner all well suited for zone blocking schemes and will be available at a lessor cost on draft day allowing us to fill other needs early with guys who also can make an impact and a little later guys like Knile Davis and Mike Gillislee should still be on the board ( probably round 4 guys ) ...again I was not trying to sound rude with the opening comment , its just how I feel on the issue ...

I know earlier I talked about Lacy in the second , but that is before we hired a new O-Line coach and talk of a chance in philosophy in our blocking schemes came into play and then looking at the lineman that will be gone ( instead of might be gone ) I had a change of heart on what I was looking for in a RB in terms of style of play that will best suit a zone blocking scheme

/cheers
    I with you. I don't want to see a RB before the 3rd. There's plenty of depth at that position to get a real quality guy at that time.

2-a. Jonathan Cooper OG
    3-a. Phillip Thomas FS
    3-b. Keith Pough OLB
    OK,,,, making a couple adjustments from what we've been saying. Since we have alread interviewed the WR I'm going to plug Woods into the 2b slot. and pick a 3rd round RB.

I've only watched Woods play a couple of times, But from what I have seen and read, he may by one of the more play ready WRs in the draft. Has good hands and is a very good route runner.

I'm not really excited with what I have seen,,, and read,,, in the RBs that should go in the 4th round. I do like Stepfan Taylor and think he could excel in out new blocking scheme. SOOOOOOO, I am going to roll the dice on Phillip Thomas and Keith Pough and push them back one spot...... Actually its not that big of a gamble, YET, on Thomas and Pough. Going into the combine this where there are figured to go.

2-a. Jonathan Cooper OG
    2-b. Robert Woods WR
    3-a. Stepfan Taylor RB
    3-b. Phillip Thomas FS
    4 . Keith Pough OLB

AML

The OLB class is so top heavy that if one of the upper 1st rounders fell to #17, the Steelers should waste little time drafting the player

Manti Te'o also needs to be considered. I know most guys don't want him just because of that hoax that he was victimized by and one bad game (something every player has) but the Steelers need a playmaker and leadership, two areas the Steelers need and two areas Te'o can provide (yes he is a good leader who helped fuel Notre Dame to a perfect regular season)

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Manti Te'o also needs to be considered. I know most guys don't want him just because of that hoax that he was victimized by and one bad game (something every player has) but the Steelers need a playmaker and leadership, two areas the Steelers need and two areas Te'o can provide (yes he is a good leader who helped fuel Notre Dame to a perfect regular season)
    I'd gladly take him over the DUI/Dope head sluggards.

The OLB class is so top heavy that if one of the upper 1st rounders fell to #17, the Steelers should waste little time drafting the player
    I've been watching the possible slid of Jones for a while. Wishful thinking has me thinking that it may happen, not likely IMO, but it could. First there is the health concurnes, secondly Jones is not a work out demon. The combine, and pro-day may not win him any frends. I have read recently the at lease 3 teams have placed a red flag next to his name. Here's hoping that no one bothers to look at any more game films and notices that the young man can actually play some football. He may be a bit of a gamble, but at 17, a gamble that could pay off big.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I've been watching the possible slid of Jones for a while. Wishful thinking has me thinking that it may happen, not likely IMO, but it could. First there is the health concurnes, secondly Jones is not a work out demon. The combine, and pro-day may not win him any frends. I have read recently the at lease 3 teams have placed a red flag next to his name. Here's hoping that no one bothers to look at any more game films and notices that the young man can actually play some football. He may be a bit of a gamble, but at 17, a gamble that could pay off big.
    Tex, I've been watching highlights of him and he sure has a knack for stripping players of the ball.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Jones is not at the combine so they'll only see him at his pro day.

I've seen him mocked anywhere from #2 to late in the first so it's really hard to tell where he'll go. I love the way he plays and having him drop to us would be unbelievable. He looks like the perfect 3-4 OLBer.

Dwinsgames

Jarvis Jones, r u more comfortable in a 4-3? "I am. I love playing in a 4-3, outside linebacker."

Retweeted
    Favorite
    More

that may influence some teams to take pause ... it did me , I do not know him as a person so I do not know how adamant he is to remain a 4-3 player , I do not know first hand his work ethic or what his attitude would be towards making a change , I also do not know his medical chart intimately , yes he has some Med red flags but the degree of those can only be determined by medical professionals in which I am not .....

Fantastic prospect esp as a 3-4 OLB but on paper does not always tell the whole story and that is what teams are chomping at the bit to find out and we will not know for certain until April the conclusion of those teams , Mock drafts will not have the necessary information to process him ( or any player with question marks in regard to medical red flags or off field issues ) with any degree of certainty

just something to keep in mind when looking at mocks

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post

that may influence some teams to take pause ... it did me , I do not know him as a person so I do not know how adamant he is to remain a 4-3 player , I do not know first hand his work ethic or what his attitude would be towards making a change , I also do not know his medical chart intimately , yes he has some Med red flags but the degree of those can only be determined by medical professionals in which I am not .....

Fantastic prospect esp as a 3-4 OLB but on paper does not always tell the whole story and that is what teams are chomping at the bit to find out and we will not know for certain until April the conclusion of those teams , Mock drafts will not have the necessary information to process him ( or any player with question marks in regard to medical red flags or off field issues ) with any degree of certainty

just something to keep in mind when looking at mocks
    This is so true bud. This same statment could be said about most if not all of the kids in this draft. Mock drafts are no more than projections of what someone thinks MIGHT happen. Guesses, and thoughts, and sometimes hopes, nothing more. Few, if any, know what the teams are thinking, or what information they may have. Thats what makes it so much fun. Any one of us could be right,,,,,,, or wrong.

I thought that Jones was at the combine,,, not to work out, but only for interviews, and to be looked at by the medical staff. This may work out fine for him since the questions about him are not his talent, but his health, and work ethics. It may come down to a teams Dr. making this pick more than anyone else.

AML

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

James C Wexell@jimwexell
    #Steelers have scheduled a formal interview tonight with Texas first-round safety Kenny Vaccaro.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    James C Wexell@jimwexell
    #Steelers have scheduled a formal interview tonight with Texas first-round safety Kenny Vaccaro.

literally was about to post that myself .... LLT is smiling from ear to ear on the word of that coming out

I thought that Jones was at the combine,,, not to work out, but only for interviews, and to be looked at by the medical staff. This may work out fine for him since the questions about him are not his talent, but his health, and work ethics. It may come down to a teams Dr. making this pick more than anyone else.
    I believe that you're correct. I should have said that he wasn't going to work out at the combine.

Been reading a few of the rumor mills today, and there may be another name we need to be discussing.

Ezekiel Ansah ( nicname Ziggy ) DE from BYU. A 6'6" kid with just a couple years of football experiance. Most I have read think that at 275 he could play OLB very nicely, or put on a couple lbs. to line up on the outside of a 3-4 line. Ansah was figured to fall in the mid teens, but from I am reading has turned a few heads lately. Rumor has it that the Steelers have been interested in this young man for some time, and may have fallen in love with the kid of late. May have to put up with some rookie mistakes, but sound like a very quick learner, that can be coached. Smile Dick, Smile.

I have not watched one BYU game ( damit ) and would love the hear from someone that has actually see him play.

By the way, I just checked and we did interview Ansah

AML

Dwinsgames

I think he could play OLB .... here is a good spot to catch up on him a bit ( number 47 )

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Cant recall the name of the GM who said it but Warmack and Cooper are rated by most as better prospects than DeCastro.

I can see Cooper going top 15 after his combine work.

Star Lotulelei was sent home from the combine due to heart valve irregularity. Not sure what this does to his stocks as he will likely need surgery to fix his problems.

He could well slide out of the top 10.

Zeke Ansah is a Bill Parcells Planet theory type of guy. He will be overdrafted due to his measurables. I could see him end up in the top 10.

Usually I have a clearer picture at this point in time, however I am so mixed with my thoughts at the moment. This class of first rounders is pretty even across the board and interviews are going to play a huge role this year.

Outside the first round I like:
    Christine Michael (RB) has performed pretty well so far. I like him a lot as a mid round RB. Bit disappointed in how a favourite RB of mine ran, Joseph Randle didnt look as quick as his tape indicated.

I really liked Gavin Escobar (TE) in the catching drills. He has unbelievable hands and looked like he could grab any ball out of the air. Unfortunately his stock is rising.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Hi Aussie, been a while.
    I'm thinking that Cooper will not make it past the line starved cowboys. If the Steelers want him they may have to pull the trigger at 17. I don't think he will go before that, but who knows.
    I can see Lotulelei sliding way down the chart, when you say heart problems I can see a red flag coming out of a lot of teams pockets.
    Anash may have worked his way past our pick. There seems to be a lot of people talking about him, but I still have hopes for Jones.
    If we do use the 17 pick it could very well be Vaccaro, or the OT Johnson. I know that they have interviews Johnson at the combines, and OTs are normally value higher than OGs.

AML

Ansah seems more like a 4-3 DE to me. I don't see him as an OLBer.

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

We would lead the league in 'ziggys' if we drafted Ansah
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Looks like the draft is loaded with 1st round grade defensive ends. IF any of them fall to late late 2nd or 3rd round would it be worth considering? Also wondering if any of them could be linebacker material...I saw Montgomery from LSU has very good speed.

2 *Bjoern Werner DE 1 Florida State Jr 6-3 266 1
    4 *Damontre Moore DE 2 Texas A&M Jr 6-4 250 1
    9 *Barkevious Mingo DE 3 LSU rJr 6-4 241 1
    16 Ezekiel Ansah DE 4 Brigham Young Sr 6-5 271 1
    21 Datone Jones DE 5 UCLA rSr 6-4 283 1
    25 Alex Okafor DE 6 Texas Sr 6-4 264 1
    26 Dion Jordan DE 7 Oregon rSr 6-6 248 1
    32 *Sam Montgomery DE 8 LSU rJr 6-3 262 1-2
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2013/DE
    Last edited by GBMelBlount; 02-25-2013 at 10:26 AM.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Dwinsgames

slight changes

2A Jonathan Cooper OG

2B David Amerson DB

3A Nico Johnson ILB
    3B Knile Davis RB
    3C Shawn Williams S
    4 Brad Sorenson QB
    5 Bruce Taylor LB