Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun Ban: The fight's in the vocab - Please read (Preacher).

Dwinsgames

Re: Gun Ban: The fight's in the vocab - Please read (Preacher).

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    I know thats why you dont have a tank!!

and that is the only reason to believe me ...

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    Some good points, as far as seperation of church and state the 1st amendment says " congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion," so while the phrase seperation of church and state is not used the concept is there. I do like guns but i think there does have to be a line, i mean really hunting a deer with an assualt rifle is a bit much and if we dont set limits people will keep getting more weapons and deadlier weapons. If you want a glock in the house or as a concealed weapon thats fine, but not having gun control would open the flood gates.
    The Bill of Rights doesn't exist to define what Americans can or cannot do. It exists to define what the government cannot do. Once you grasp that fact and it's implications, you will see why bringing up "deer hunting" is so laughable. Do you seriously think that the government would ever want to restrict an activity like "deer hunting"? That *that's* what they were worried about when they wrote this?
    Incidentally, back at the time this was ratified, there were absolutely no limits on the types of weaponry that individual citizens could own, so long as they hadn't been convicted of any crimes or adjudged mentally incompetent. The closest thing they had to "WMDs" was warships, and not only were those *not* restricted, but rather they provided the bulk of our National defense and happened to be owned by civilians.
    Now... you can argue that times have changed, and that is true. *BUT* you cannot argue (at least not rationally) that the passage of time invalidates laws. The only thing that changes the Constitution is the amendment process. That hasn't happened, so the 2nd Amendment still means what it meant when it was ratified; law- abiding Americans have the *RIGHT* to keep and bear arms of any type and quantity. *Without* restriction, interference, or harassment from the government.

This naturally results in a messy situation, but what would be even messier would be allowing the Federal government to pick and choose which rights we may have and how far they go.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    The Bill of Rights doesn't exist to define what Americans can or cannot do. It exists to define what the government cannot do. Once you grasp that fact and it's implications, you will see why bringing up "deer hunting" is so laughable. Do you seriously think that the government would ever want to restrict an activity like "deer hunting"? That *that's* what they were worried about when they wrote this?
    Incidentally, back at the time this was ratified, there were absolutely no limits on the types of weaponry that individual citizens could own, so long as they hadn't been convicted of any crimes or adjudged mentally incompetent. The closest thing they had to "WMDs" was warships, and not only were those *not* restricted, but rather they provided the bulk of our National defense and happened to be owned by civilians.
    Now... you can argue that times have changed, and that is true. *BUT* you cannot argue (at least not rationally) that the passage of time invalidates laws. The only thing that changes the Constitution is the amendment process. That hasn't happened, so the 2nd Amendment still means what it meant when it was ratified; law- abiding Americans have the *RIGHT* to keep and bear arms of any type and quantity. *Without* restriction, interference, or harassment from the government.

This naturally results in a messy situation, but what would be even messier would be allowing the Federal government to pick and choose which rights we may have and how far they go.

excellent post

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    Twenty years ago, people like us couldn't affect things like this. But in the age of social media, one person sitting behind a computer can create something that spreads like wildfire and changes the debate. And I wouldn't say that the Republicans have lost, but their backs are on the canvas and the ref has started counting to 10. We'll see if they can beat the 10 count.
    Yeah... but you have no idea whether what you create will change the debate in a good way or a bad way. A well- meaning turn of phrase can do more harm than good if it hasn't been properly tested. You see how much damage the NRA did to themselves with their "President's children" ad campaign. Good concept and even a valid point, but they expected it to go over better than it did because they didn't test it with focus groups first.

I've already stated my opinion on this matter; I think this is a "Really Bad Idea ™", but all I can do is hope that it turns out well.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post

Sam Elliot ( one of my favorite actors ) !!

Well, this is interesting. Here's what I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

Assault Rifle. We all know that an "Assault Rife" is really a rifle with a round selector and as such, except for the few with a class III license that may have gotten one of these, no civilian owns one. To call it what it really is, an Assault Rifle that is being discussed in congress is a Civilian Defense Rifle.
    As it turns out, here's what the Department of Homeland Security calls it when THEY order it:

The Department of Homeland Security is seeking to acquire 7,000 5.56x45mm NATO “personal defense weapons” (PDW) — also known as “assault weapons” when owned by civilians. The solicitation, originally posted on June 7, 2012, comes to light as the Obama administration is calling for a ban on semi-automatic rifles and high capacity magazines.
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...sonal-defense/

"Personal Defense Weapons"? Sure, I can go with that. Only ONE problem . . .

These are REAL assault weapons. The 7000 ordered are actual "select-fire" weapons.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...fathers-416977

On Monday, MSNBC's Martin Bashir aired a video that seemed to show grief-stricken Neil Heslin being heckled by pro-gun lobbyists as he talked about his 6-year-old son, who was killed in Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. While making a plea for gun control at a legislative hearing, Heslin at one point he turned to the audience and said: “I ask if there’s anybody in this room that can give me one reason or challenge this question: why anybody in this room needs to have one of these assault-style weapons or military weapons or high-capacity clips.”

When the audience remains silent, Heslin adds, “Not one person can answer that question.” And that’s when a few people recited the Second Amendment in response.
    The video that host Martin Bashir aired, though, clipped out Heslin's question and pause in the audience's direction. The resulting edit made it look like boisterous audience members interrupted Heslin's testimony. After the edited video aired, Bashir set up pundits with: “A father’s grief, interrupted by the cries of a heckler. That was the scene today in Hartford, Conn., where the parents of children killed at Sandy Hook Elementary testified before an audience that wasn’t always friendly.”
    A spokeswoman for MSNBC has declined comment. Although the edited segment is not available on MSNBC’s website, and the unedited version eventually was aired on a subsequent Martin Bashir show and other shows on the networks, conservative activists have pounced. One version, uploaded to YouTube and embedded below, shows Bashir’s version followed by Heslin’s unedited testimony.

his week's incident has been the subject of talk radio and other conservative media, which has used it to boost assertions that NBC, MSNBC and much of the mainstream media is biased in favor of liberalism. Indeed, several journalists took MSNBC’s reporting at face value and echoed it, including reporters at The Huffington Post, the Daily Beast, Slate, Media Matters for America and many others collected at the right-wing site, Twitchy.
    “The full, unedited video proves the media is lying,” wrote John Nolte at Breitbart.com. "This is not heckling, this is someone respectfully asking a question and receiving a respectful answer."
    National radio host Cam Edwards of NRA News spent nearly 20 minutes ripping MSNBC for “as egregious an edit as you can possibly get.” The conservative Media Research Center wrote that “MSNBC’s disgusting lack of journalistic standards have hit a new low.”
    It wasn't just conservative media that disagreed with MSNBC's interpretation. CNN's Anderson Cooper, for example, originally tweeted that Heslin was "shouted down," but after seeing the full video, he tweeted: "#SandyHook parent wasn't 'shouted down' as I said in previous tweet. He asked for response and audiences members gave it and were admonished."
    MSNBC has declined comment, but the network seems to be standing its ground for now, beginning with Lawrence O’Donnell defending the edited video Tuesday on his show, The Last Word With Lawrence O’Donnell. “Here is what led to a grieving father being heckled by the gun-worshipping fanatics in the audience,” O’Donnell said before playing the unedited portion of Heslin’s testimony. Then he said, “Some right-wing websites sprung to the defense of the hecklers, insisting that they were simply answering Mr. Heslin’s question, but of course they weren't."

Loosely related so I posted it here.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...fathers-416977

On Monday, MSNBC's Martin Bashir aired a video that seemed to show grief-stricken Neil Heslin being heckled by pro-gun lobbyists as he talked about his 6-year-old son, who was killed in Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. While making a plea for gun control at a legislative hearing, Heslin at one point he turned to the audience and said: “I ask if there’s anybody in this room that can give me one reason or challenge this question: why anybody in this room needs to have one of these assault-style weapons or military weapons or high-capacity clips.”

When the audience remains silent, Heslin adds, “Not one person can answer that question.” And that’s when a few people recited the Second Amendment in response.
    The video that host Martin Bashir aired, though, clipped out Heslin's question and pause in the audience's direction. The resulting edit made it look like boisterous audience members interrupted Heslin's testimony. After the edited video aired, Bashir set up pundits with: “A father’s grief, interrupted by the cries of a heckler. That was the scene today in Hartford, Conn., where the parents of children killed at Sandy Hook Elementary testified before an audience that wasn’t always friendly.”
    A spokeswoman for MSNBC has declined comment. Although the edited segment is not available on MSNBC’s website, and the unedited version eventually was aired on a subsequent Martin Bashir show and other shows on the networks, conservative activists have pounced. One version, uploaded to YouTube and embedded below, shows Bashir’s version followed by Heslin’s unedited testimony.

his week's incident has been the subject of talk radio and other conservative media, which has used it to boost assertions that NBC, MSNBC and much of the mainstream media is biased in favor of liberalism. Indeed, several journalists took MSNBC’s reporting at face value and echoed it, including reporters at The Huffington Post, the Daily Beast, Slate, Media Matters for America and many others collected at the right-wing site, Twitchy.
    “The full, unedited video proves the media is lying,” wrote John Nolte at Breitbart.com. "This is not heckling, this is someone respectfully asking a question and receiving a respectful answer."
    National radio host Cam Edwards of NRA News spent nearly 20 minutes ripping MSNBC for “as egregious an edit as you can possibly get.” The conservative Media Research Center wrote that “MSNBC’s disgusting lack of journalistic standards have hit a new low.”
    It wasn't just conservative media that disagreed with MSNBC's interpretation. CNN's Anderson Cooper, for example, originally tweeted that Heslin was "shouted down," but after seeing the full video, he tweeted: "#SandyHook parent wasn't 'shouted down' as I said in previous tweet. He asked for response and audiences members gave it and were admonished."
    MSNBC has declined comment, but the network seems to be standing its ground for now, beginning with Lawrence O’Donnell defending the edited video Tuesday on his show, The Last Word With Lawrence O’Donnell. “Here is what led to a grieving father being heckled by the gun-worshipping fanatics in the audience,” O’Donnell said before playing the unedited portion of Heslin’s testimony. Then he said, “Some right-wing websites sprung to the defense of the hecklers, insisting that they were simply answering Mr. Heslin’s question, but of course they weren't."

Loosely related so I posted it here.
    Caught the tail end of it yesterday and wasn't sure what was going on. Thanks for sharing.

NBC is every bit left as the left claims Fox is to the right.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

MSDNC hard at work again.

MSNBC caught faking video of Sandy Hook father being heckled
    MSNBC is taking criticism after it was revealed that a video they aired today was deceptively edited to make it appear as if gun advocates had heckled the father of a Sandy Hook victim

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

Kind of the same thing USAToday did in an article on the Connecticut Gun Control hearings.

Douglas Fuchs, a Newtown resident who is police chief in neighboring Redding, Conn., called for a ban on assault weapons and high capacity magazine clips. "No one has ever made a cogent argument" as to why public citizens should have access to assault weapons, he said

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...afety/1878169/

To give USAToday credit though they did have some pro gun statements in there, but none that could contradict Mr. Fuch's statement.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Can you say Photoshopped. I've never seen a shotgun vent out the side like that one, much less with that much smoke. Maybe if it was black powder.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Can you say Photoshopped. I've never seen a shotgun vent out the side like that one, much less with that much smoke. Maybe if it was black powder.

I don't know much about guns, so you would know more than I would. You mentioned photoshop, and ironically, that is what is being warned against doing with this pic...lol.