Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Ban: The fight's in the vocab - Please read (Preacher).

Gun Ban: The fight's in the vocab - Please read (Preacher).

The Fight's in the Vocab.

We've all seen it. The side that is able to define the words being used is the side that will win the argument. With that in mind, it's time to redefine the arguments to better reflect what the meaning really is.

Gun-Control. Biden wants to redefine this as "Gun-safety." In reality, it's Gun restrictions.

Assault Rifle. We all know that an "Assault Rife" is really a rifle with a round selector and as such, except for the few with a class III license that may have gotten one of these, no civilian owns one. To call it what it really is, an Assault Rifle that is being discussed in congress is a Civilian Defense Rifle.

High Capacity Magazines. No one has a clue what "Hi capacity" really is. Where's the limit? It needs to be labeled properly: Personal Defense Magazines.

Gun Lobby. Labeled properly, it's a Second Amendment Lobby.

Gun Ban. This should be linked specifically to what it is. (Partial) Second Amendment Ban

Federal Assault Weapons Ban needs to be exposed for what it is, a Federal Civilian Defense Rifle Ban.

Gun Reform/Gun reform bill. No gun is being "reformed." This is a Gun-Rights Reduction bill.

Post this in every forum you're on, facebook, send it to your senators and congressmen, the NRA, etc. etc. If we stop letting those who want to reduce our right to bear arms define the argument by their use of terms, we'll make a great amount of headway in a very short time.

Do you agree with this? If so, would you be willing to send a few quick notes to your legislators and others that support 2nd Amendment rights? Would you be willing to post this on facebook or other social media?

Dwinsgames

Re: Gun Ban: The fight's in the vocab - Please read (Preacher).

good post ...

I suspect in the not so distant future some of us here will be considered felons , sad thought when I believe most here are probably upstanding Citizens in the eyes of the law today and those same people will later be felons and will have done nothing different in their daily lives between now and then ...

The Government will make them felons by restricting their rights and they will not be open to such change / restrictions .... sad really

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I agree with this Preach and have copied so that I can paste wherever it needs to be. I'm not currently on FB (lawyers orders, due to car accident that led to me being injured) but when I get back on, will definitely post it up.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

This is a rhetorical argument. Not that the other side isn't engaging in the same thing, but folks here don't really need it. Trust me, we get it.

Personally, I think the best counter- argument is a better argument, not catch- phrases. People get that your argument makes a whole lot more sense.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    This is a rhetorical argument. Not that the other side isn't engaging in the same thing, but folks here don't really need it. Trust me, we get it.

Personally, I think the best counter- argument is a better argument, not catch- phrases. People get that your argument makes a whole lot more sense.
    Slash - the issue is not "folks here." It's making sure that we do not allow the other side to "define the argument" by allowing them to choose the terms and definitions. It isn't rhetorical, as much as it's foundational to the entire discussion. By using "Assault Weapon" the other side has pushed across a conection with fully automatic weapons. So much so, that now the press makes no distinction between semi-auto and full-auto. Its just automatic handguns.

My goal is to get you, me, and everyone else to combat the ignorance with good definitions. That then allows us to actually make our arguments based on truth, rather than being on the defensive combating lies and trying to diffuse emotional reactions to having "Automatic weapons just like the military."

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

You have to give the left credit. They're much better than the right at using language and coming up with catch phrases to sway public opinion.

A woman's right to choose: Women do not have a right to choose what to do with their bodies. If they did, then prostitution should be legal. All Roe v. Wade did was give women the right to have an abortion. But the left's constant drum beat of "woman's right to choose" has swayed the debate in their favor. As soon as you bring up abortion, you get accused of trying to take away women's rights. You lose the argument before it even begins. Pro-life advocates have nothing as powerful to combat "a woman's right to choose." ... "Choose life"? ... uh, no. That's not even close to being as effective.

Separation of church and state: Nowhere in the Constitution does it say anything about separation of church and state, but I'm willing to bet a good number of Americans believe that it's in there somewhere. Why? Because the left has drummed it into people's heads. Hell, they've even gotten a lot of conservatives believing it.

Climate change: This one didn't come easy. First it was global cooling. Then acid raid. Then the hole in the ozone layer. Then global warming. Finally, they came around to climate change because that way, no matter what happens, they'll be right. Regardless of what they call it, and it really doesn't get much better than climate change, their message has been the same ... humans are destroying the Earth, and we must be stopped.

The rich need to pay their fair share: I really don't need to explain the absurdity behind this catch phrase. Not only do the "rich" pay most of the taxes, but they also provide the jobs. I've yet to see someone who is poor start a business and hire people. As those of us on the right are well aware of, the "rich" most certainly do "pay their fair share" when it comes to contributing to our society. But possibly more than anything else, that catch phrase helped to get Obama re-elected.

There are plenty of other examples, but the point is this ... if you come up with a good catch phrase and keep repeating it, people eventually start accepting it without question. That's how the left has swayed public opinion on most issues. They haven't won because of their ideas ... most of their ideas are a complete failure. They've won because they've mastered the art of using language to influence how people think.

Look how they're framing the gun debate:

"We're not taking away anyone's right to hunt."
    "You don't need 30 bullets to kill a deer."
    "You don't need an assault weapon to go hunting."

When Al Gore ran for president, he stated quite forcefully that he would NOT take away our right to hunt. When John Kerry ran for president, he went on a hunting trip in my area with some local Democrats to show that he was a friend to hunters.

Anybody with half a brain knows the Second Amendment doesn't give us the right to bear arms so we can hunt or go trap and skeet shooting. The left knows that as well, but they're using language to get people to believe that the Second Amendment means something other than what it really means. That's the same tactic they used in bastardizing the First Amendment ... they used "separation of church and state" to get people to believe that it means something other than what it really means.

I'm afraid they're going to sway public opinion on this issue just as they've swayed public opinion on other issues. That's what they do. They're good at it. Their ideas suck, but they're good with words.

If the right hopes to have any chance at all in this fight, we need to come up with some good catch phrases and some clear messages. A good place to start is constantly emphasizing the fact that the Second Amendment does NOT give us a right to bear arms so we can go hunting or trap shooting.
    Last edited by Wallace108; 01-25-2013 at 02:37 AM.

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Done.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post

if you come up with a good catch phrase and keep repeating it, people eventually start accepting it without question. That's how the left has swayed public opinion on most issues. They haven't won because of their ideas ... most of their ideas are a complete failure. They've won because they've mastered the art of using language to influence how people think.

I'm afraid they're going to sway public opinion on this issue just as they've swayed public opinion on other issues. That's what they do. They're good at it. Their ideas suck, but they're good with words.

If the right hopes to have any chance at all in this fight, we need to come up with some good catch phrases and some clear messages. A good place to start is constantly emphasizing the fact that the Second Amendment does NOT give us a right to bear arms so we can go hunting or trap shooting.
    You nailed it.

There was a time when Americans made informed decisions based on critical examination of facts.

Those days are long gone.

Now it is all about catch phrases, freebies and getevenwithemism.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    There was a time when Americans made informed decisions based on critical examination of facts.

Those days are long gone.

Now it is all about catch phrases, freebies and getevenwithemism.
    Yep. That's why I have to respectfully disagree with what Slash said above. The right has the better argument on most issues. Unfortunately, your average voter doesn't take the time to understand an argument. They're easily swayed by catch phrases and simple, repetitive messages. I have two good friends who are every bit as conservative as I am. They both vote Democrat every election. Why? Because Republicans care only about the rich, and Democrats take care of the working man. I've tried and tried, but there's nothing I can say to convince them that they're wrong. Even when I get them to agree with my reasoning, they end up once again regurgitating a liberal catch phrase.

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Yep. That's why I have to respectfully disagree with what Slash said above. The right has the better argument on most issues. Unfortunately, your average voter doesn't take the time to understand an argument. They're easily swayed by catch phrases and simple, repetitive messages. I have two good friends who are every bit as conservative as I am. They both vote Democrat every election. Why? Because Republicans care only about the rich, and Democrats take care of the working man. I've tried and tried, but there's nothing I can say to convince them that they're wrong. Even when I get them to agree with my reasoning, they end up once again regurgitating a liberal catch phrase.
    That's the sad truth right there. I think we all have those friends.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

A complicit media helps too...

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

If the Republican Party is relying on a handful of people in the SteelersUniverse soapbox forum to come up with effective rhetoric to frame the debate, then they've already lost. Just sayin'.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

If the Republican Party is relying on a handful of people in the SteelersUniverse soapbox forum to come up with effective rhetoric to frame the debate, then they've already lost. Just sayin'.
    A flame starts with but a spark. If not here, where? If not now, when?

The proper place is a think- tank where they have rigorous testing procedures and focus groups. Rhetoric can be helpful in a debate, but it can also be incredibly destructive if used improperly.
    There are people who are paid to do this job for a living. I think it's better left to them.

The proper place is a think- tank where they have rigorous testing procedures and focus groups. Rhetoric can be helpful in a debate, but it can also be incredibly destructive if used improperly.
    There are people who are paid to do this job for a living. I think it's better left to them.
    Well excuse me if I say they have been doing a shitty job.

Dwinsgames

until they get busy they will not accomplish anything ... perhaps that is part of the problem ......

society of today is not like society of 20 years ago , its even less connected to society of 30 years ago ...

this Country was as rural as it was city oriented back then , now society is more city oriented and the vast majority of city folks are for the most part clueless about guns ...

I have spoken to more people than I can count in the past 3-4 months that are clueless about guns , my area where I reside you could speak to people coming in and out of the local store and 95% of them ( women included ) are fairly knowledgeable 10 miles away in the closest town or any size and it reverses and the majority is pretty much clueless

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Really? Did you forget the sarcasm smilie?

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Pot meet Kettle.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

I've said my peace about this one. Best of luck.

Twenty years ago, people like us couldn't affect things like this. But in the age of social media, one person sitting behind a computer can create something that spreads like wildfire and changes the debate. And I wouldn't say that the Republicans have lost, but their backs are on the canvas and the ref has started counting to 10. We'll see if they can beat the 10 count.

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

You have to give the left credit. They're much better than the right at using language and coming up with catch phrases to sway public opinion.

A woman's right to choose: Women do not have a right to choose what to do with their bodies. If they did, then prostitution should be legal. All Roe v. Wade did was give women the right to have an abortion. But the left's constant drum beat of "woman's right to choose" has swayed the debate in their favor. As soon as you bring up abortion, you get accused of trying to take away women's rights. You lose the argument before it even begins. Pro-life advocates have nothing as powerful to combat "a woman's right to choose." ... "Choose life"? ... uh, no. That's not even close to being as effective.

Separation of church and state: Nowhere in the Constitution does it say anything about separation of church and state, but I'm willing to bet a good number of Americans believe that it's in there somewhere. Why? Because the left has drummed it into people's heads. Hell, they've even gotten a lot of conservatives believing it.

Climate change: This one didn't come easy. First it was global cooling. Then acid raid. Then the hole in the ozone layer. Then global warming. Finally, they came around to climate change because that way, no matter what happens, they'll be right. Regardless of what they call it, and it really doesn't get much better than climate change, their message has been the same ... humans are destroying the Earth, and we must be stopped.

The rich need to pay their fair share: I really don't need to explain the absurdity behind this catch phrase. Not only do the "rich" pay most of the taxes, but they also provide the jobs. I've yet to see someone who is poor start a business and hire people. As those of us on the right are well aware of, the "rich" most certainly do "pay their fair share" when it comes to contributing to our society. But possibly more than anything else, that catch phrase helped to get Obama re-elected.

There are plenty of other examples, but the point is this ... if you come up with a good catch phrase and keep repeating it, people eventually start accepting it without question. That's how the left has swayed public opinion on most issues. They haven't won because of their ideas ... most of their ideas are a complete failure. They've won because they've mastered the art of using language to influence how people think.

Look how they're framing the gun debate:

"We're not taking away anyone's right to hunt."
    "You don't need 30 bullets to kill a deer."
    "You don't need an assault weapon to go hunting."

When Al Gore ran for president, he stated quite forcefully that he would NOT take away our right to hunt. When John Kerry ran for president, he went on a hunting trip in my area with some local Democrats to show that he was a friend to hunters.

Anybody with half a brain knows the Second Amendment doesn't give us the right to bear arms so we can hunt or go trap and skeet shooting. The left knows that as well, but they're using language to get people to believe that the Second Amendment means something other than what it really means. That's the same tactic they used in bastardizing the First Amendment ... they used "separation of church and state" to get people to believe that it means something other than what it really means.

Some good points, as far as seperation of church and state the 1st amendment says " congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion," so while the phrase seperation of church and state is not used the concept is there. I do like guns but i think there does have to be a line, i mean really hunting a deer with an assualt rifle is a bit much and if we dont set limits people will keep getting more weapons and deadlier weapons. If you want a glock in the house or as a concealed weapon thats fine, but not having gun control would open the flood gates.

Dwinsgames

lets start with this one ....

Abortion is nothing more than legalized murder , 56 million kids where murdered by women with the aid of the medical community since Roe Vs Wade came into effect , those children did not have a choice in the matter they could not protect themselves they where helpless and voiceless ....

People claim a fetus is not a living thing , I ask them this ... give me one example of anything that has a heart beat that is not alive ( other than the fetus they claim is not a living thing ) and they can not name 1 because there is not one .... anything with a heart beat is alive !!

also If a woman is shot on her way to an abortion clinic and both her and the fetus die ( how does the fetus die if it was never alive ?? ) the individual who is responsible for the shooting goes on trial for double homicide ... how is this possible if the fetus is not alive ???

11,000 gun Murders per year in this Nation ( just murders no other statistics included ) hell I am willing to inflate the number to an even 20k to make the math as simplistic as possible so all can follow without a hitch , over 40 years that would be only 800k deaths .... so in other words 55 million 200k LESS deaths than caused by abortion !!!!! and Abortion is legal .... hard to figure

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    Some good points, as far as seperation of church and state the 1st amendment says " congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion," so while the phrase seperation of church and state is not used the concept is there. I do like guns but i think there does have to be a line, i mean really hunting a deer with an assualt rifle is a bit much and if we dont set limits people will keep getting more weapons and deadlier weapons. If you want a glock in the house or as a concealed weapon thats fine, but not having gun control would open the flood gates.

the second amendment does not claim citizens can have guns within reason ... and it clearly states in the 9th amendment they can NOT restrict us ( The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people )

so in other words if it has been invented we as citizens should have the right to own it , that would include a freaking tank if we so desired and could afford one ....

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    the second amendment does not claim citizens can have guns within reason ... and it clearly states in the 9th amendment they can NOT restrict us ( The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people )

so in other words if it has been invented we as citizens should have the right to own it , that would include a freaking tank if we so desired and could afford one ....
    yes clearly people need tanks, automatic weapons, hand grenades, land mines, rpgs, this is exactly my point we need gun control.

Dwinsgames

yes clearly people need tanks, automatic weapons, hand grenades, land mines, rpgs, this is exactly my point we need gun control.

We HAVE Gun Control now !

I do, putting pretty much all my rounds in the X ring or 10 ring at this point from 10 yards. Figured out why I'm pushing left - not enough trigger finger pad on the actual trigger. I think my gun control is going to get even better next week.

I know thats why you dont have a tank!!

You're regurgitating what the media has taught you. Assault rifles are extremely hard to get, lots of back ground checks by the FBI and BATF. An AR-15 is NOT an assault rifle, which is what you are probably thinking of. Stop handcuffing your brain and educate yourself on what weapons are what then jump into the debate.