Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: With the 17th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select...

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Re: With the 17th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select...

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    Star Lotulaelei is a yes if he is available. However I would still take Jesse Williams over Hankins and Richardson who are rated higher.

You don't need the #1 guy on the board. You just need the #1 guy on your board for the pick your are anticipating to make.
    Richardson isn't a NT like the other guys and doesn't fit our defense. He'll be a 4-3 DT or DE. He's a stud.
    Last edited by SteelerFanInStl; 01-19-2013 at 01:29 PM.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltreal View Post
    I was talking salary cap, Wallace , Colon , and Millers contracts compared to new rookie cap will help long term.
    I doubt the Steelers draft a NT in the 1st round. IMO, they will go into the 2013 season with Mclendon as the starter and Taamu and recently acquired Fangupo playing the backup rolls. My guess is they will go LB or S in the 1st round
    Hater = Realist

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    I doubt the Steelers draft a NT in the 1st round. IMO, they will go into the 2013 season with Mclendon as the starter and Taamu and recently acquired Fangupo playing the backup rolls. My guess is they will go LB or S in the 1st round
    I agree and that's what I'm hoping for, S or LB in the first.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Isn't BPA a misnomer? I hardly think Ben was BPA when we picked him. He has turned out to be one of the best QBs from that draft class, but a strict adherence to BPA probably would have dictated us taking a linebacker or a safety. "BPA with need" would be more accurate, IMO.
    No, some evaluators actually had Ben ahead of Rivers. He was likely the BPA and actually sat around the green room longer that many expected. The fact we needed a QB was a bonus that one of the 3 was there.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    No, some evaluators actually had Ben ahead of Rivers. He was likely the BPA and actually sat around the green room longer that many expected. The fact we needed a QB was a bonus that one of the 3 was there.
    Well, that's the thing. If we didn't need a QB, say we already had a franchise QB that was about 28 years old. Do we still draft Ben? We probably would have went with another position.

To be clear, I consider Timmons a way better "athlete" than Ben. In fact, Ben would never be drafted under a strict adherence to Best Possible "Athlete".

All the mock drafts that I've read always take into consideration what positions need to be filled. If not, we would probably draft a Linebacker or CB/Safety, WR or RB in the first round of every draft. In my mind they are the best "athletes" on the field.

BPA would have RGIII ahead of Luck, everyday of the week.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I wonder how Steelers fans would feel now if we had taken Burfict in the later rounds last year. Even with his problems causing him to go undrafted he was still rated a first round grade by some experts and had a very solid rookie year for Cincy.

To a lesser degree this is what happened with Adams and why we ended up getting two first round grade linemen with our first two picks.

Also, I am curious if Te'o has a history of nuttyness or is this incident more of an exception and something that just spun out of control.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I wonder how Steelers fans would feel now if we had taken Burfict in the later rounds last year. Even with his problems causing him to go undrafted he was still rated a first round grade by some experts and had a very solid rookie year for Cincy.

To a lesser degree this is what happened with Adams and why we ended up getting two first round grade linemen with our first two picks.

Also, I am curious if Te'o has a history of nuttyness or is this incident more of an exception and something that just spun out of control.
    As far as Burfict goes:

1) He would only be allowed to play Special Teams for his first 2 seasons and the odd snap during games.

2) He would have found a way to get injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    To be clear, I consider Timmons a way better "athlete" than Ben. In fact, Ben would never be drafted under a strict adherence to Best Possible "Athlete".

All the mock drafts that I've read always take into consideration what positions need to be filled. If not, we would probably draft a Linebacker or CB/Safety, WR or RB in the first round of every draft. In my mind they are the best "athletes" on the field.

BPA would have RGIII ahead of Luck, everyday of the week.
    BPA = Best Player Available. I don't know where you're getting "Best Possible Athlete".

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    BPA = Best Player Available. I don't know where you're getting "Best Possible Athlete".
    Of course.

However I do think there is a tendency to focus on the most athletic players (all other things being relatively equal) because of the belief they may have a greater likelihood of developing into a starter or solid back given a given a couple years to develop.

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    ya if we were drafting best possible athelete we would be drafting wideouts and corners the whole draft lol

My apologies. I don't know why I started thinking BPA was best possible athlete.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    In the 2001 the draft the DT crop panned out as follows

Round 1 pick 3 Gerard Warren Browns
    Round 1 pick 6 Richard Seymour Pats
    Round 1 pick 12 Damione Lewis Rams
    Round 1 pick 13 Marcus Stroud Jags
    Round 1 pick 19 Casey Hampton Steelers

Star Lotulaelei is a yes if he is available. However I would still take Jesse Williams over Hankins and Richardson who are rated higher.

You don't need the #1 guy on the board. You just need the #1 guy on your board for the pick your are anticipating to make.
    I really don't see Star being there at 17. I haven't watched all the top guys yet, but I've watched him multiple times and he's a top five talent. A guy that is 320 who can play like a 290 one gapper. To me, his skillset is really rare.

Junior Member Array title="steelmen is an unknown quantity at this point">

Agree Jesse Williams is the best NT for Steelers. First Round pick at 17 for Steelers in order of preference:

#47 Ansah! Nuff said.
    Eddie Lacey. With a much sounder "O" Line, he will add years to Benb's longevity.
    Jessie Williams. Strongest guy around & will eat space.

Member Array title="deweybeachde is an unknown quantity at this point">

I think it is a perfect trade down scenario this year. The 4 worst teams all need QBs but Geno Smith or Matt Barkely are not worth that high of draft pick. A trade down from 17 to 33 to 36 should net an additional high 3rd and 4th rounder as well as getting the a player that falls out of 1st round. Getting 10 picks this year would help in the reloading process, especially if 5 of those players are in the Top 100.

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deweybeachde View Post
    I think it is a perfect trade down scenario this year. The 4 worst teams all need QBs but Geno Smith or Matt Barkely are not worth that high of draft pick. A trade down from 17 to 33 to 36 should net an additional high 3rd and 4th rounder as well as getting the a player that falls out of 1st round. Getting 10 picks this year would help in the reloading process, especially if 5 of those players are in the Top 100.
    Guess our current depth are no longer considered 'starters in waiting'. If we need 10 rookies.
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltreal View Post
    Guess our current depth are no longer considered 'starters in waiting'. If we need 10 rookies.
    we need to field 53 and a PS ... we have 35 under contract ... do the math we need all the warm bodies we can get at this point

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    we need to field 53 and a PS ... we have 35 under contract ... do the math we need all the warm bodies we can get at this point
    And are broke as well. Some tough cuts coming down the pipe this off-season.

Member Array title="deweybeachde is an unknown quantity at this point">

Obviously 10 rookies won't make next year's team.

Who are the Replacements for Foote, Hampton, Foster, and Starks, if they are not re-signed?
    Who is Wallace, Keenan Lewis and Mendenhall's starters in waiting?
    Will these back ups whose contracts expired be future starters? Mundy, Will Allen, Legursky

The Starters in waiting succession plan as I see it is

Foote>>>Spence, if healed, or is he better as a backup to Timmons? Sylvester???If they are not thumpers then we need one.
    Hampton>>>McLendon, TaAmu, Fangupo
    Foster>>>DeCastro takes this spot now who is his back up? Beachum?
    Starks>>>Gilbert or Adams now who are there back ups? Beachum?

Now lets talk about Wallace, Mendenhall, and Keenan Lewis. Lewis may be the only probability of signing but if not Cortez Allen looked pretty good in packages. Wallace is clearly a #1 receiver. Brown and Sanders are good but do not stretch he field. Are you comfortable that Cotchery or Gilreath is the starter in waiting?
    Mendenhall may be back on the cheap but Dwyer and Redman did not look like game changers.

Do you think Cotchery, Harrison and Colon will not be Cap casualties?
    Worilds may be the starter.
    Does Gilreath take over if Cotchery is a casualty as the number 3 WR?
    Does Beachum take Colon's spot?

Are you comfortable with Robert Golden replacing Clark or Polamalu within the next few years or are 2 rookies needed to play special teams and learn the system for a little while before starting? We will need at least 1 or re sign Mundy or Allen as starters in waiting.

Now knowing how many free agents we sign each off season and looking at our starters in waiting, how many new rookies are on the 53 next year?
    At minimum......New starters in waiting needed for WR, RB, ILB, SS

Possibly More starters in waiting
    FS if Golden is not the answer for Clark
    OLB if Worilds is not the answer
    OLB if Carter is not the answer for Woodley. I hope Woodley can stay healthy.
    CB if Curtis Brown is not the answer for Ike Taylor
    DE if Heyward is not the answer for Keisel

Senior Member Array title="XxKnightxX has a spectacular aura about"> XxKnightxX's Avatar

Who cares if he made up a g/f or didn't make one up? If he is available he is worth a solid look.

What about Jarvis Jones?
    Umm its not the drama behind it. Just the mere concept that there were so many red flags in the story from the get go and he still couldn't knock it in his brain. He seems to be lacking in the common sense department, big time.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

The maths been done
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/12...y-cap-numbers/

My fix would be dump Woodleys overated ass and start Worilds
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Quote Originally Posted by deweybeachde View Post
    Wallace is clearly a #1 receiver. Brown and Sanders are good but do not stretch he field.
    Sanders ran a 4.41 forty at the combine ...here is the write up on him directly afterwards.

He shows excellent acceleration off the line and can stretch the secondary down the seam with his vertical speed.
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...ders?id=497322
    We have not utilized him in that capacity ...yet. But that doesnt mean he cant do it if asked.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Sanders ran a 4.41 forty at the combine ...here is the write up on him directly afterwards.

We have not utilized him in that capacity ...yet. But that doesnt mean he cant do it if asked.
    I agree.

I also think Brown has comparable game speed.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I'd seriously entertain the thought of trading Woodley and either restructuring or cutting Harrison and just rebuild the LB Corps from scratch at this point.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I agree.

I also think Brown has comparable game speed.
    Pretty close...4.47
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

A trade down would be great but that's usually tough to do.

I would love to see Jarvis Jones drop to us as some mocks are showing but I just don't believe that it'll happen.

If Jones isn't there, I'd love to get Ogletree.

Dwinsgames

a LOT of player adjustments are being made on boards around the league and many many more " fine tuning " will be done got a couple looks at Brad Sorenson's stock and it is on the rise from a few months ago a 5th round guy to now some boards ( draft sites ) have him sneaking into the 3rd round hell at this rate ( if those sites are close to correct ) a solid combine and he may be off the board before we pick in the second round lol .......

it is just hard to say where some guys will go considering all it takes is 1 team to fall in love but myself this is the time to get a longer harder look at game tape than it is to worry about the combine ( and for whatever reason ) that will have more effect than what a great game or horrible game here or there will ... for me it is more about what they did on the field of play vs other guys trying to stop them than what they do in shorts and a T Shirt in Indy ( but watch guys go shooting up mock draft boards based on Indy ) I want football player not track stars ...do it in pads and then I am impressed !

Dwinsgames

BigC ( Curtis Popejoy ) from Draftbardinsider and now rant sports pre combine mock http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/0...fl-mock-draft/

if you are unfamiliar with Curt he has been on many local espn affiliates in the past talking the draft , is a co founder of my old board and a long time internet friend who is a noteworthy draft guru that his 5 year mock averages are well documented and is top 25 in the nation over that span http://www.thehuddlereport.com/index...ftscores.shtml

just thought I would add this for some perspective